• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

SSReborn

The reviews seem about righ from what I've played. The game is mediocre with some redeeming parts and some they seriously have to work on for the next installment.

Gameplay wise, The Order had every part it needed to be a good or even great game, but due to overexcessive hand holding it ended up a mediocre game. If they integrated the stealth and traversal mechanics into the core gameplay instead of just pulling those mechanics out whenever it fit their narrative and adjusted the levels for it this could have been great.

I agree with this criticism.

jmood88

Holy crap, the review thread is flying by... can't keep up. Anyway, I can't believe the 4/10's when the game isn't broken. The 1-10 scale is broken, though, when it comes to reviewing games.
Why does a game need to be broken to get a 4/10?

I cancelled my Premium Edition preorder after reading the reviews. I can't justify $160+ for the game, when I know all of the collectible items included in the box will get put away in a closet with the rest of my CEs.

Having said that, I did get the regular edition. I am still excited to play this! Even if it is a mediocre affair, I know I will have fun with it. And having played it at PAX Prime and Playstation Experience, I can't wait to see how gorgeous the rest of the game is!

It's such a shame that we don't get incredible console exclusives like The Order: 1886 on PC. I really want the mediocre gameplay, average graphics that look better with OTT post-processing like any other game can with GeDoSaTo/ENB/SweetFX/GEMFX, 30 frames a second, pointless set pieces, unskippable cut-scenes, black bars, 60 dollar price tag and Day 1 season pass availability.

Edit: Apparently you're only allowed to praise games in this thread, but if you want to criticise it and the rubbish surrounding it, you've got to go to another one. I wasn't here to criticise reviews. I posted here to criticise the game. But, you know, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're wrong.

MattyG

Banned
If you were excited about this and didn't have an agenda on it, you will be very pleased. Very good game so far.
Yeah, I'll probably still get it. I just read Jim Sterling's review and it seems like about what I expected. I might downgrade to the normal edition instead of dropping an extra $20 though.

Frillen

Just finished chapter 9 and the game has become a repetitive, predictable, although still an enjoyable game. Gameplay wise, there's no surprises at all though.

Still wowed by the visuals. I just saw the most realistic ship ever in a video game. There's a lot of those moment. "That's the best _________ I've ever seen in a video game".

It's such a shame that we don't get incredible console exclusives like The Order: 1886 on PC. I really want the mediocre gameplay, average graphics that look better with OTT post-processing like any other game can with GeDoSaTo/ENB/SweetFX/GEMFX, 30 frames a second, pointless set pieces, unskippable cut-scenes, black bars, 60 dollar price tag and Day 1 season pass availability.

think you are in the wrong thread

use the review thread for bashing

Are you gonna say the same when Bloodborne gets nines and tens next month? Keep system wars bullshit out of the tread.

f@luS

More than a member.
Just received it. Played 30min. I know I'll love it. I like fun and short action game.

But damn. Graphics are out of his world. This is just perfection. Best looking game ever pic included. Perfect IQ , insane Lightning (with 0 shadow aliasing ). Modeling ... Oh my ...but is just pure CG quality graphics

Pop

What's the point of this? Keep that crap out of here.

I'm still super hyped to play and look forward tomorrow to experiencing the world that's been created. Even though I haven't played it yet, I really don't get the critiques about the game being some antique outdated form of gameplay. This medium is large enough to hold various styles of experiences and as an adult with major responsibilities I'm a little tired of having games that require 50-60 hours to play. I'm hoping to enjoy the game and respect the effort RAD has to put to create this experience. I also respect the points being made by reviewers and respect their efforts but in the end, it's my taste that decides how I feel about this title.

Anarion07

Another one bites the dust.

I was just perusing the Trophy List. I am utterly shocked that there is not a trophy for beating the game on Hard. Overall, it seems like it will be a pretty easy Platinum to get, too.

Protome

Holy crap, the review thread is flying by... can't keep up. Anyway, I can't believe the 4/10's when the game isn't broken. The 1-10 scale is broken, though, when it comes to reviewing games.

Seriously?
People complain that reviewers only use the latter half of the review scale.
Now people complain that the scale is broken because reviewers start using the rest of it.

More sites need to hurry up and ditch review scores to get rid of silly comments like this. A big ol' "Do Not Buy" would suffice.

NahaNago

Can't wait for my copy tomorrow. The game is slaughtered by press as I expected :(

Still, very much look forward to playing it.

I feel the same way was expecting the press to slaughter this game after all the drama they had given it since its first gameplay trailer but was still hoping it would score well. Oh well i'm still excited about the game ,will pick it up tomorrow, and hope it sells well. I was never one to base my purchasing habits off of a score for a game.

: its a bit depressing that the review thread has 7 times more replies and 5 times more views than the ot thread at this time but the game hasn't officially come out yet in some parts so there is that holding back the replies for this thread.

Hasney

Reviews this gen have been a joke. I feel completely out of touch with them

I tend to lock onto individuals that write reviews since their opinions tend to gel with mine for the most part. Even one site can have varying opinions across their staff base, and that's how it should be.

WITHE1982

You never know it may be ported to PC. I mean GTA 5 eventually made it to PC so never give up hope... I've had a quick Google and it doesn't look like this one will make it to your PC. I'm sorry. I'm sure it would have looked great anyway. Just keep those fingers crossed my friend.

...or were you just being sarcastic and incredibly boring?

/s

Seriously?
People complain that reviewers only use the latter half of the review scale.
Now people complain that the scale is broken because reviewers start using the rest of it.

More sites need to hurry up and ditch review scores to get rid of silly comments like this. A big ol' "Do Not Buy" would suffice.
They still do use the latter half of the scale. The fact that Halo:MCC, a broken piece of trash, is sitting at a plus 90 Metacritic tells you all you need to know about the veracity of scores.

Got my copy this morning, have played through the first couple of chapters.

Graphics as expected are stunning, best game of the generation. Voice acting and sound FX are really nice.

Gunplay is solid enough. Similar to Uncharted in that respect

Having similar issues with the letterbox/FOV as I did with Evil Within, as soon as an enemy gets up close its quite difficult to keep track of them. Especially anything fast moving.

Playing on hard mode and it doesn't seem to be too challenging so would recommend people playing on that.

Eggbok

I like the part where you compare the graphics to pc mods. Because pc games can only achieve the visual greatness of The Order with modding. Am I doing it right?

Pop

Reviews this gen have been a joke. I feel completely out of touch with them

I have never cared for review scores. But they are so inconsistent. I only started peeking at some when I joined GAF, before that, I didn't care and still don't.

I wished I never had. Those threads are just terrible with the way people act in them.

Hasney

how this game is reviewing son poorly? that looks cool.

From what I've read, the few bits in there that are actually controlled apparently don't change, bar a couple of stealth areas. A couple of reviews suggested that the actual gameplay had overstayed its welcome by the end of it, even with it being so short.

What I took from all the reviews is that is a semi brief, yet beautiful world, with interesting chracters and lore and action that is spread throughout from time to time. The major thing I see is that there isn't enough shooting, or gameplay to put it all together. Now for me, I'm currently playing The Wolf Among Us and it's a fantastic story, with interested chracters, and fascinating lore, but I feel the gameplay is just very hand held, illusion of choice, and ultimately an intertactive movie like story experience yet it's fan fucking tastic. I think this is what The Order is going to feel like for me. Cept instead of talking to ton of chractets, picking up items from time to time, and making rash choices, you get actions, stealth and other little elements from time to time to progress the gameplay elements of this highly story driven game. I know the bigest argument is that those style of games are not $60 dollars and I totally get that. Though those games also don't have these sort of visuals, which are simply just fantastic in The Order. I could be wrong, but that's just the feeling I get and will see if it comes across that way once I complete it. As for replayabilty, the choice selections in the tell tale games don't get me to replay the games right away. I replay them for the story again, and just now it can be slightly affected. I can't get that from The Order replays but I don't know how much that matters for me personally. I replay games like Alan Wake, Resident Evil all the time and can't change the outcome in those either.

Truant

Please don't come in here and post random nonsense.

What's random? Some posts display blind faith in the quality of the game without having played it, even though the vast majority of the reviews are saying the game mediocre. Just seems weird to me. But I'm all for making up your own mind, reviews can be pretty useless.

Loakum

Banned
Nice OT. Regardless of the reviews, and the feeding frenzy that's currently under way, I'm still very much excited for The Order 1886. I love cinematic story driven games. I'm confident I won't be disappointed.

What's random? Some posts display blind faith in the quality of the game without having played it, even though the vast majority of the reviews are saying the game mediocre. Just seems weird to me. But I'm all for making up your own mind, reviews can be pretty useless.

And the vast majority of hands on impressions here are positive. Why should we suddenly value opinions of reviewers?

Pop

What I took from all the reviews is that is a semi brief, yet beautiful world, with interesting chracters and lore and action that is spread throughout from time to time. The major thing I see is that there isn't enough shooting, or gameplay to put it all together. Now for me, I'm currently playing The Wolf Among Us and it's a fantastic story, with interested chracters, and fascinating lore, but I feel the gameplay is just very hand held, illusion of choice, and ultimately an intertactive movie like story experience yet it's fan fucking tastic. I think this is what The Order is going to feel like for me. Cept instead of talking to ton of chractets, picking up items from time to time, and making rash choices, you get actions, stealth and other little elements from time to time to progress the gameplay elements of this highly story driven game. I know the bigest argument is that those style of games are not $60 dollars and I totally get that. Though those games also don't have these sort of visuals, which are simply just fantastic in The Order. I could be wrong, but that's just the feeling I get and will see if it comes across that way once I complete it. As for replayabilty, the choice selections in the tell tale games don't get me to replay the games right away. I replay them for the story again, and just now it can be slightly affected. I can't get that from The Order replays but I don't know how much that matters for me personally. I replay games like Alan Wake, Resident Evil all the time and can't change the outcome in those either.

The fact is, if you had more control over the character in The Order, it would have scored much better.

Oh and add some more pew pew and WOW...what a game

Games seemed to reviewed for what they aren't, instead of what they are.

NahaNago

I have never cared for review scores. But they are so inconsistent. I only started peeking at some when I joined GAF, before that, I didn't care and still don't.

I wished I never had. Those threads are just terrible with the way people act in them.

Yeah the review threads are pretty bad with most games here. People defending a game to the bitter ban , folks pretty much typing with glee a games downfall, and folks getting shouted down for having a different opinion happens it seems like every single time. Its extremely toxic.

Protome

They still do use the latter half of the scale. The fact that Halo:MCC, a broken piece of trash, is sitting at a plus 90 Metacritic tells you all you need to know about the veracity of scores.

I agree. We shouldn't have scores, they should be updated post release or reviewers shouldn't review online games before release day. Although the fact that most of the single player part of Halo MCC still works still justifies a lot of its score to a lot of people.

Loakum

Banned

perhaps we choose to not look at something through the eyes of another.

Top Bottom