• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Frillen

I'm tired of reading this Bs That if you liked the game you're a fanboy. I know at least 20 people who bought the game. Everyone of them enjoyed the game. No one is saying it's perfect. Simply reviews don't seem to reflect gamers response to the game.

Not what I'm saying. I'm just saying they exist. Huge difference.

Actually, reviews seem to reflect gamers response pretty well right now. You have to remember that a meta score of 65 is still under the definition of decent.

DOCTORWHO said:
I don't like seeing it used as a reason to dismiss every positive impression in this thread like our opinions don't count.

Do I think some people inflate their opinion of a game? Of course. But at least I know enough to actually read the opinions and decide which ones are inflated and which ones are grounded and balanced.

I think the percentage of people inflating their opinions is relatively small.

I'm not dismissing every single positive impressions. Just saying some of them are false, and coming from either fanboys or people trying to justify their purchase, being blinded by hype and the thoughts of defending the game from the "haters". They feel they have received a mission order from their company of choice to defend the title like their lives depended on it. This comes especially true, obviously, the less of a good score the game has on metacritic.

What we disagree on, is the share number of these folks.

Loudninja

See the post below yours.

I think a lot of people like me who were interested but agreed with the review complaints chose to wait for a price drop. If the review embargo was some ubisoft bullshit day of release at noon or just didn't send copies to press, you would see a ton more disappointed people.
Oh really?

Lord have mercy this is beyond ridiculous now.

How can you know this?

If we can only speak factually and not make opinionated guesses on things forums wouldn't be much fun.

Its kind of crazy to think how a game like monster hunter at $40 can offer 1000+ hours of fun and depth, or cs go at $15 can offer 5+ years of fun and tense gameplay. I didn't like destiny much but no one can argue that it isn't s good value filled with stuff to do.

Then there's this which offers 6ish hours of game where your control is taken away frequently and reviewers are saying isn't that great when it does let you play.

I would not be surprised if a lot of people skipped it or are waiting for $30 or so like me.

Derpyduck

Banned
Heh, trade in price has dropped pretty dramatically already in the UK and CEX have hundreds of copies.

One day, the UK will drown in The Order and Driveclub.

Same seems to be true in the US. It started at 39 dollar trade in value Amazon yesterday morning and is now under 30 dollars. They're getting a lot of trade-ins already. On the plus side, that means the game is going to be really cheap for people that want a copy real soon.

If we can only speak factually and not make opinionated guesses on things forums wouldn't be much fun.

Its kind of crazy to think how a game like monster hunter at $40 can offer 1000+ hours of fun and depth, or cs go at $15 can offer 5+ years of fun and tense gameplay. I didn't like destiny much but no one can argue that it isn't s good value filled with stuff to do.

Then there's this which offers 6ish hours of game where your control is taken away frequently and reviewers are saying isn't that great when it does let you play.

A game doesn't have to be 1000+ hours for someone to enjoy it.

I am enjoying my play through of Monster Hunter and I enjoyed my play through of The Order.

I hate using dollar values when trying to review games. The price shouldn't be factored into a review as everyone has a different opinion on what they are willing to pay for when it comes to a game. If we were to factor in price than I would expect games to be re-reviewed when they are dropped down to $20. Does that suddenly make The Order an 8.5 instead of a 6.5? That's such a terrible way of critiquing.

You review the game and state how much content is in it. It's up to the end user to decide whether it is worth the retail price being charged.

Hasney

Same seems to be true in the US. It started at 39 dollar trade in value Amazon yesterday morning and is now under 30 dollars. They're getting a lot of trade-ins already. On the plus side, that means the game is going to be really cheap for people that want a copy real soon.

Yeah, basically this game probably had to do well day 1 because it will be cannibalised by pre owned sales from here on out I reckon.

All these Knack mentions since the game came out is making me want to play it again...

Intrigue

Banned
I've posted this before. Battlefield 4 SP is about 3-4hours.

How am I justifying my $60 purchase of that game when I bought it for SP only.

Like I said last night, absolutely love the game so far, little over 4 hours in and on chapter 6. ( hard mode is way to go )

A perfect mix between Uncharted/Heavy Rain with amazing setting ( graphics/audio )

Hold up Slasher. How can I be sure you're not trying to justify your purchase?

I also find that question silly. Cause really I could just ghost up in here and not have to answer to anyone. How's that for justification? I'll bite though. Game is slow at the start, has a very basic gameplay flow, isn't doing anything genre defining, and has odd and downright questionable things like no skipping cutscenes and teaching me how to do the same things tutorial wise over and over again till it beats my skull in. Yet this will be more replayable then something like Beyond for me cause it's a cinematic game with much more action and punch and gameplay. It's also not for everyone but hot damn, this game gets me and my tastes for these sort of games.The fact it's shorter gives it a better chance of being replayed too. Win, win.

emalord

My 2 cents: this game has crazy production value. All that is "appearance" is damn ace.
Artists at RAD are incredible

Gunplay is really strange: until chapter VII gunfights are rare and awfully paced with storytelling itself, way too invasive.
After that moment, from chapter VII to IX where I am now, gunplay happens more often and better alternates with cutscenes and QTE

Why not before?
I think with more gunfight in the first chapters reviews could have been better

That said, I'm approving the whole experience so far

Artex

Banned
This game is fucking awesome. It feels completely unique and I'm addicted to it. Bravo to RAD for following their vision regardless of mainstream trends.

The production in this game is just so clean. Im on chapter 6 and It's just on a whole other level with visuals and audio. The animations is thing that's striking me so much. Character movement is so detail, that is really feels movieish. Plus I've had the game since Thursday. Taking my sweet time.

void666

Banned
Chapter 9 rant

- Kill the sniper
You can't walk behind him and perform a takedown like in 99% games since the dawn of mankind. No, it's a QTE. If you don't press triangle at the right time it's an instant fail. You can't shoot him either. And after that you get glued to the wall. Can't leave cover, can't walk more than a few steps. Won't you aim and shoot for me mr game? Ok, killed them. Now where's my thermite rifle. Oh look, it's gone.

Derpyduck

Banned
I've posted this before. Battlefield 4 SP is about 3-4hours.

How am I justifying my $60 purchase of that game when I bought it for SP only.

Like I said last night, absolutely love the game so far, little over 4 hours in and on chapter 6. ( hard mode is way to go )

A perfect mix between Uncharted/Heavy Rain with amazing setting ( graphics/audio )

If you're buying BF4 for just the SP, you're doing it wrong. Much like COD, just rent it if you only want to see the single player experience. You'll save 50+ dollars and still get the same experience as someone who paid 60 dollars. There's nothing wrong with assigning personal value to games based on the amount of time you think you'll enjoy them.

I also find that question silly. Cause really I could just ghost up in here and not have to answer to anyone. How's that for justification? I'll bite though. Game is slow at the start, has a very basic gameplay flow, isn't doing anything genre defining, and has odd and downright questionable things like no skipping cutscenes and teaching me how to do the same things tutorial wise over and over again till it beats my skull in. Yet this will be more replayable then something like Beyond for me cause it's a cinematic game with much more action and punch and gameplay. It's also not for everyone but hot damn, this game gets me and my tastes for these sort of games.

The whole point is that it is a silly question. I think we can all make our own determination based on what a gaffer has to say about a game to decide whether or not they are genuine or justifying. I just don't like seeing people come in here and summarily dismiss positive impressions because they are "early" impressions.

As for your impressions. I think my impressions are very similar to yours. I really don't think this game is for everyone but it fills some sort of void for me.

I do think there are times when the game downright becomes Space Ace/Dragon's Lair though. They need to cut that shit out for a sequel.

Hmmm, anyone else getting their ass handed to them, at times, on Normal with aim-assist off.

Not normal, but on hard currently and the wave fight before heading to the hospital had Mr starting over more than a few times. But I liked it, had me focusing less on sniping fools in the head and paying attention to the shotgunners flanking me from the left building.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Chapter 9 rant

- Kill the sniper
You can't walk behind him and perform a takedown like in 99% games since the dawn of mankind. No, it's a QTE. If you don't press triangle at the right time it's an instant fail. You can't shoot him either. And after that you get glued to the wall. Can't leave cover, can't walk more than a few steps. Won't you aim and shoot for me mr game? Ok, killed them. Now where's my thermite rifle. Oh look, it's gone.

Because Fuck you, we want you to play our way!

Not normal, but on hard currently and the wave fight before heading to the hospital had Mr starting over more than a few times. But I liked it, had me focusing less on sniping fools in the head and paying attention to the shotgunners flanking me from the left building.
Yeah, thats the section I had difficulty with last night. Once I made the shotgunners a priority, I got through it.

Intrigue

Banned
If you're buying BF4 for just the SP, you're doing it wrong. Much like COD, just rent it if you only want to see the single player experience. You'll save 50+ dollars and still get the same experience as someone who paid 60 dollars. There's nothing wrong with assigning personal value to games based on the amount of time you think you'll enjoy them.

How am I doing it wrong, I just don't get it. I played the SP a couple times, the value of a game is still better than buying a Blu-ray/dvd movie.

I don't mind paying and supporting studios/publishers those who put time in making a game I enjoy, baring they are not douche bags about it ( ie: Ubisoft )

Only used console game I bought in last 10 years been AC:Unity out of around 250 games. And I did it because I can't support anyone treating customers like that.

Maybesew

Actually, reviews seem to reflect gamers response pretty well right now. You have to remember that a meta score of 65 is still under the definition of decent.

Your kidding right? You must be kidding. Kidding? Ok, good for a minute I thought you were being serious.

Jolkien

Just finished. I liked it quite a lot. Hopefully we will get a sequel. Gameplay could use some tweak but overall I do not regret my purchase one bit.

I can honestly say that I am really enjoying the game. I was one of the people that saw the initial gameplay and was immediately turned off. I went into this game thinking the worse but I'm really surprised that I am enjoying it so much.

Glad I stopped reading and caring about reviews 10 or so years ago. I would have missed out on a lot of good games.

Animator

I have a hard time finding anything bad about this game. I played for four hours yesterday and I am on chapter 3. I wasn't taking it slow or anything either other than having to stare at the graphics every step of the way because they are way beyond any other game I played in my life. The presentation is on another level. I am digging the story and the gun fights are really visceral and fun.

I can honestly say that I am really enjoying the game. I was one of the people that saw the initial gameplay and was immediately turned off. I went into this game thinking the worse but I'm really surprised that I am enjoying it so much.

Glad I stopped reading and caring about reviews 10 or so years ago. I would have missed out on a lot of good games.

When I saw the very first trailer for this game I was really excited for the world it looked like they were trying to create. Then came that first gameplay preview and it turned me off, completely. I wasn't sure I was even going to pick it up. I really didn't want a late 19th century cover based shooter. It didn't seem to fit the aesthetic of the world they were trying to create.

For some reason the final product came together for me really well. I am pleasantly surprised.

Still confused about the "lack of shooting". Ive killed a ton of dudes so far I feel like hahah. The pacing is great, and it keeps me from getting burnt out with constant shootouts. Thats one problem I had with gears, there was just a lil too much lancer battles constantly(drain clip, active reload, repeat), with no story pace in between. I'm on chapter 11, and this game is very solid especially with the mysterious way the story unfolds. I need to hurry up and finish it tonight, so I can get the maximum trade in value before it drops...

The last game I finished before playing this was Ryse, another beautiful but kinda dull game that everyone loves comparing to the order. The Order is a much more enjoyable game than Ryse IMO. Im stil learly in the game, but ive enjoyed what ive seen so far. I know a lot of people complain about forced walking and talking bit, but it doesn't bother me. I breaks up the combat well enough, and the game is just so damn good looking. I don't really care about review scores or anything, I like what I like because it appeals to me. and The Order has insane graphics, a great steampunk art style, a cool story/setting, and fun shooting. So that's fine by me.

Also can I just say I fucking love picking up weapons and being able to turn them over/examine them before using them. so cool.

Hmmm, anyone else getting their ass handed to them, at times, on Normal with aim-assist off.
Playing on hard with aim assist off, yes. There were two levels so far that i had to do again a couple of times.
Too many enemies and the shotgun fuckers.
Still confused about the "lack of shooting". Ive killed a ton of dudes so far I feel like hahah. The pacing is great, and it keeps me from getting burnt out with constant shootouts. Thats one problem I had with gears, there was just a lil too much lancer battles constantly(drain clip, active reload, repeat), with no story pace in between. I'm on chapter 11, and this game is very solid especially with the mysterious way the story unfolds. I need to hurry up and finish it tonight, so I can get the maximum trade in value before it drops...
There is no lack of shooting. But i do think that some of the levels are a bit amateur-level in layout.

Jito

Banned
Played to the start of chapter 6 last night, still enjoying it but the story hasn't gripped me like I thought I would. Also, there's a serve lack of set piece moments for something sold as a cinematic game, chapter 5 spoilers,
the blimp exploding and eventually going down all happen off screen! What the hell?!
To be honest, I don't think I've seen one set piece style moment yet, its all been slow going talking and shooting dudes.

Playing on hard with aim assist off, yes. There were two levels so far that i had to do again a couple of times.
Too many enemies and the shotgun fuckers.

Yeah those enemies are no joke. I'm on hard and no aim ass it and yeah. One section in the ship chapter I died about 6 times lol. Also call me impressed how fast the game loads upon death when featuring such insane visuals.

Yeah those enemies are no joke. I'm on hard and no aim ass it and yeah. One section in the ship chapter I died about 6 times lol. Also call me impressed how fast the game loads upon death when featuring such insane visuals.

Was it the section where you're in the kind of fancy dining area and one of the shotgun guys just bum rushes you and there's no place to take cover? Cuz that fucked with me

Played to the start of chapter 6 last night, still enjoying it but the story hasn't gripped me like I thought I would. Also, there's a serve lack of set piece moments for something sold as a cinematic game, chapter 5 spoilers,
the blimp exploding and eventually going down all happen off screen! What the hell?!
To be honest, I don't think I've seen one set piece style moment yet, its all been slow going talking and shooting dudes.

I felt the end moments of the hospital was sorta like a set piece in a ways involving the Lycan. Maybe not insanely nuts but gave me that "oh shit" feeling. It's not really bothered me though for some reason. My wife had to convince me to stop playing last night.

Sweep14

Did people saw this ?

Y8LsssS.jpg

The order on a 21/9 Screen

Hasney

You know, with all the MGS talk I that other thread, I think this game would benefit from a Twin Snakes style version of the game where everything is dialled up to batshit insanity.

Just finished the game, unbelievable some of those reviews. It was a great experience.
Finsihed on hard took me around 10hrs (i searched for as many items as I could).

The story was great, the gunplay/gameplay was good (longer than any review told me),

I could see why some people are upset about cutscenes but there's alot more here than just cutscenes. This "meme" of 5 hours will honestly keep people from enjoying a great experience, which is disappointing.

I really can't wait for the sequel, granted I think it'll do well on sales and Sony will want to develop this into a great series.

My biggest gripe was the ending, which says something about how much I liked the game. The game holds your hand but you just keep wanting more.

I think RaD did a superb job and I want to see the characters, story, and setting develop into a good franchise in a sequel.

I'd like the sequel to have the characters travel around the world to different locations in that time period (if they decide to keep it in the late 1800s). I like how the Americas are called "The New Continents".

RaD has to release the photo mode soon for my second playthrough.

I'd upload some pics but how can I get my screenshots from my ps4? USB?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I can't get over the amount of detail that went into the game visually, wow. I have a lot problems with the gameplay but the game is truly beautiful to look at.

So I'm about to start chapter 5, do the graphics only get better from here or have I already seen the highlights?

whole game is pretty as fuck, and quite possibly the best looking game ever

Top Bottom