• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

mellow

found the game really enjoyable

loved the setting and atmosphere, few gripes but I never felt like the cutscenes were too overbearing, in fact I found myself wanting to get to the next one to progress the story (which could have been better fleshed out) quite often

I hope they get a chance to develop a sequel since there's a solid foundation here to turn it into one of the best gaming series' this generation IMO

The level of meticulous detail in the environments in this game is just amazing. Seeing every individual storefront in the beginning was so cool. The butcher, the furniture store, the accounting firm, everything was oozing detail. I hope people aren't blowing past everything.

el87

Man, those credits are like
5%
of game's length...

Enjoyed, would've preferred to get it on a sale though in the hindsight

OneUh8

The level of meticulous detail in the environments in this game is just amazing. Seeing every individual storefront in the beginning was so cool. The butcher, the furniture store, the accounting firm, everything was oozing detail. I hope people aren't blowing past everything.

Yup. Every area I am just walking around in checking everything out. Crazy amount of detail everywhere.

Just got my platinum :D Note to people, when you come to the archives room, check the left and right sides for collectables. Very enjoyable 2 playthroughs though. Hope there is a sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJrXo8FZ74
I'm not into tech much, but Is it really hard to do reflections of a character? Duke Nukem 3D has them..
Judging from that clip it looks as though they're just using a simple static cube map for the mirrors. Basically just a screen grab of the environment but it's not real time so no character reflections. The way real time mirrors are usually done, I think is to have a camera at the same location as the mirror and the mirror acts as a screen displaying what it sees.
I don't know why they didn't go for that unless it's a performance thing, or if there's an issue with doing that and screenspace raytracing together.

I just finished it, such a good experience imo. I'd give it an 8 or so, because the gunplay was super satisfying, the graphics were amazing, and the overall experience was entertaining. The
ending felt a bit rushed though, like I figured there'd be something after Chapter 16 but there wasn't. The story doesn't quite feel over.

Not really, reading around the net it seem to be pretty balanced. Maybe a minor disconnect, definitely not a major. If a game is solid and nothing else it usually lands around a 7/10 which isn't that far from the meta. This doesn't even include people trying to justify their purchase nor fanboys who's going to like the game no matter what. Unfortunately they exist in a number.

This is the second day I've seen you in here trying to dismiss people's opinions as fanboy nonsense.

The percentage is probably much smaller than you think.

This "positive first impressions are most likely people trying to justify their purchase" bullshit has got to go.

Any intelligent reader should be able to read a post and decide for themselves what the intention was behind the writer's words.

My idea on the reflection not showing.

Originally when I seen this I thought Galahad and co were vampires, with the blackwater being some kind of elixer similar to how a vampire drinks blood. But after seeing his reaction to the vampires in the cases that he isn't a pure vampire, but maybe the blackwater gives them similar similarities to that of a vampire.

Frillen

This is the second day I've seen you in here trying to dismiss people's opinions as fanboy nonsense.

This "positive first impressions are most likely people trying to justify their purchase" bullshit has got to go.

Any intelligent reader should be able to read a post and decide for themselves what the intention was behind the writer's words.

Why? There are so many examples of this actually being true, that it's naive to think otherwise. If you want me to provide examples, then just give me the go-ahead. There are people in this very thread and the review thread that has been banned because of conspiracy theories regarding Sony exclusives and media outlets. Doesn't that tell you a story?

U2NUMB

I am guessing I am halfway through and I am certainly enjoying it. The overall package is solid and the gunplay is fantastic. Feels like a solid 8 to me at this point.

Why? There are so many examples of this actually being true, that's it's naive to think otherwise.

Post them.

Enough examples to prove your point. I am sure we all could find one or two that could be true.

This is such a dismissive form of approaching opinion that it's borderline insulting.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just finished it now. On the whole it took me around ten hours. I played it on hard. And I must be getting shitter by the day at shooting games because I found 2/3 areas quite challenging. Often due to the sheer volume of enemies in certain shootouts. And they were significant spikes too as previously the ones before were not too bad. I also took a lot of time searching for all the collectibles and still missed some :/

The game is gorgeous, in the first couple of chapters some of the street scenes were phenomenal. Although a lot of views etc. are gated off with railings so you don't really get the full effect. Was dying to just wander round the claustrophobic alleys of the Victorian streets. It did suffer from Bioshock infinite fruit in one of the stalls though. Strawberries the main culprit :) However, absolutely flawless visuals.

The guns I liked. They had a punchy feel and meaty sound to them. Sort of felt like a cross between day of defeat weapons and something like Tomb Raider 2013. Arc gun, thermite gun were very well done.

I think the game compares well to Beyond: Two Souls more than a traditional third person shooter. However, adding in a TPS cover based system must have had its challenges. I thought at times the camera was too close to the shoulder and not enough 'peek' ability (certainly on hard) - the blind firing was really useful actually though. Although sometimes crosshair guidance was there and other times not - I'm not sure what the 'rule' was that triggered it. Also, this was apparent on some of the claustrophobic encounters with the lycans. Even on full sens. it was difficult to actually get the camera lined up as you want.

The stealth sections were frustrating if you didn't take your time. I was trying to action run it like Uncharted but it's not that kind of game. Luckily, it doesn't matter if you take someone out and leave their body in open places, the others just ignore it. I get the impression that the stealth depends on the camera - so if you don't see the guards, they don;t see you type of thing.

Story was interesting enough for me. A few unexplained things but nothing that spoiled the experience. Just par for the course in videogames I think. I agree with others on that running/walking thing. When looking for things in that Indian Building being forced to walk to each PoI instead of being able to jog is tragic. That's a clear example of putting director's vision over gaming enjoyment.

For me, the most exciting thing is what do RaD do next. They now have a great engine, they have reusable assets. They have tangible aspects of the game play to work on - judged in context it's a solid first effort. I think scores in the region of 7-7.5 are much more accurate than a lot of the 5/6 which seem to be based on and written for a target audience.

I also go to try out my capture card as well for the first time. Had fun making this.

CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT COMPLETED THE GAME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owwatt7sUqY

Alchemist

Tell us more.

I just finished Chapter 5.

Narrative is good, interesting main characters (the relationship between Galahad and Lady Ingraine in particular) gun play feels fantastic, fluid movement and overall so far just a well-polished experience.

I'm enjoying the game a lot so far. The black bars and slow walking doesn't bother me, but I can understand why others hate it.. I just don't see how if you like story based shooters, you can give this game a 5 or 6 out of 10.

chippy13

So I just started the game this morning and not very far in. That being said, I'm really enjoying the game so far. Going in expecting a cinematic experience, I am able to enjoy the game for what it is, a visual marvel with some fun, if not very in depth, game play.

I think the vast amount of vitriol that has been thrown at this game is uncalled for. It may not be GOTY material but it is still fun and has me really excited for the kinds of visuals that we are going to be getting going forward.

Daingurse

Guess I'm getting fucked by UPS/Amazon. Was way too sick to play it yesterday (probably today as well honestly, shit) but still thought I would get my copy. Pre-ordered with Prime, so I should get release date delivery. Meh, maybe I'll get a Sat. delivery, but now the tracking info is saying Monday. What the fuck . . . Really wanted to try and fight my nausea and boot this up.

The game is fantastic:

Superb: Graphics, Atmosphere, Sound, Writting, Characters.

High: Music, Gameplay.

Bad: Uninspired encounters
(I did like the bosses though)
, simple and very predictable story.

Lenght: 9hs on hard without aim assist, game is super easy though.

Replay value: Going to play it again just in a few hours.

I give it an 8.5/10

Why? There are so many examples of this actually being true, that it's naive to think otherwise. If you want me to provide examples, then just give me the go-ahead. There are people in this very thread and the review thread that has been banned because of conspiracy theories regarding Sony exclusives and media outlets. Doesn't that tell you a story?

I can promise you my reaction to it isn't based on the fact that I bought it.

The percentage of people pushing that kind of bullshit is small compared to the amount of people posting impressions in both threads.

You're suggesting that we dismiss a wide amount of positive opinion based on people trying to justify their pruchase.

Can you not see that?

Frillen

Post them.

Enough examples to prove your point. I am sure we all could find one or two that could be true.

This is such a dismissive form of approaching opinion that it's borderline insulting.

Knack
GTAIV
Assassin's Creed III
Resident Evil 6

Just on top of my head, I can go on if you want. Answer me this: 10+ posters in the review thread were banned because of conspiracy theories regarding Sony exclusives and media outlet? Why do think this is the case?

The percentage of people pushing that kind of bullshit is small compared to the amount of people posting impressions in both threads.

You're suggesting that we dismiss a wide amount of positive opinion based on people trying to justify their pruchase.

Can you not see that?

Yeah, but they still exist. Obviously you and I have a different opinion as to how significantly that number is. Which is fine.

crazyprac

Finally able to play up to chapter 5.

Gripes first:
too much just walking in places where there's not a lot to interact with.
No reflection in glass/mirrors.
The
Elder fight was repetitive and short I guess
I have it set on Medium and I'm enjoying the difficulty.
Man the scenery... The damn scenery is gorgeous. I play story driven games like TLOU with gf and she loves it. Says its much easier but more satisfying lol.
The music is fitting and awesome!

So far so good. I'm already thinking how they can make a pre/sequel in a different time period with this engine cause it looks amazing.

Knack
GTAIV
Assassin's Creed III
Resident Evil 6

Just on top of my head, I can go on if you want. Answer me this: 10+ posters in the review thread were banned because of conspiracy theories regarding Sony exclusives and media outlet? Why do think this is the case?

You're going to have to show me posts in those threads that prove your point. You can't just dismiss the opinion of people who liked the game in those threads because the general opinion ended up being relatively negative. They may still have liked the game and it would have had nothing to do with justifying their purchase.

I really liked Assassin's Creed Unity. I posted that in the OT. I must have been justifying my purchase. There is no possible way I actually liked it, is there?

Show me posts were you can categorically, without a doubt, say that these people are justifying their posts. Show me enough posts to suggest that it's a wide enough issue that we should dismiss early positive impressions because the general consensus is the game is not good.

As for the 10+ posters who were banned due to conspiracy (I only recall one banning yesterday) that number is still a far cry smaller than the amount of people posting impressions, positive or negative, in this thread.

To the people who are wondering why there are no character reflections; I think it's just an engine limitation or it would be too performance intensive to add it in the game.

But there actually are a few character reflections in the game. In chapter 1 you can see yourself in the metallic roof of this carriage. I haven't captured it unfortunately, but it's only a blury shadowy figure of yourself reflecting on that roof.

No vampires I think. Just the engine.

Knack
GTAIV
Assassin's Creed III
Resident Evil 6

Yeah, but they still exist. Obviously you and I have a different opinion as to how significantly that number is. Which is fine.

You need to add MCC.
That is the best example I have ever seen of this notion. It is like watching Stockholm syndrome right before your eyes.

Denzar

I included the order in my "most anticipated games of 2015" list.

This is what I said:

7. The Order 1886 - As elusive as it is exclusive, The Order refuses to properly reveal itself. Short snippets of gameplay have shown us standard 3rd person shooting and eye-popping graphics. That's enough to get me excited. Knowing Ready at Dawn is at the wheel and this feeling that they are holding back something important make me fucking pumped. If they are not holding back...Well.. The joke's on me, then.

Guess I'm a fool!

Frillen

You're going to have to show me posts in those threads that prove your point. You can't just dismiss the opinion of people who liked the game in those threads because the general opinion ended up being relatively negative. They may still have liked the game and it would have had nothing to do with justifying their purchase.

I really liked Assassin's Creed Unity. I posted that in the OT. I must have been justifying my purchase. There is no possible way I actually liked it, is there?

Show me posts were you can categorically, without a doubt, say that these people are justifying their posts. Show me enough posts to suggest that it's a wide enough issue that we should dismiss early positive impressions because the general consensus is the game is not good.

As for the 10+ posters who were banned due to conspiracy (I only recall one banning yesterday) that number is still a far cry smaller than the amount of people posting impressions, positive or negative, in this thread.

I obviously can't. I just find it strange that the very first "first impressions" are always very positive and rarely coincide with how people view a game down the road. And they always differ significantly compared to reviews by critiques. Again, I can provide you with even more examples if you want. MCC being another fine one. Twilight Princess another. That Jeff Gerstmann review isn't getting hate at all these days for reasons.

I obviously can't. I just find it strange that the very first "first impressions" are always very positive and rarely coincide with how people view a game down the road. And they always differ significantly compared to reviews by critiques.

Have you seen the Destiny thread?

The "first impressions" in that thread were not very positive despite the game getting decent reviews.

You need to add MCC.
That is the best example I have ever seen of this notion. It is like watching Stockholm syndrome right before your eyes.

MCC is a weird one. I even thought that 343 would get their shit together after a couple of days. That didn't happen and a lot of positivity around the game went sour pretty quickly.

I obviously can't. I just find it strange that the very first "first impressions" are always very positive and rarely coincide with how people view a game down the road. And they always differ significantly compared to reviews by critiques.

Was this game a reflection of that at all though?
I think all the impressions were very tempered and well written. I can't recall one hyperbole filled explosion.

Man going back through that MCC thread though. You should use some quotes from that, just sad stuff.

This happens with every hyped game that doesn't meet expectations. Double that if its platform exclusive because then even more people have reason to defend and praise a mediocre game.

Idk why people are so defensive about buyer's impressions being inflated. It makes sense and has been happening forever for everything not just games.

Purest 78

I'm tired of reading this Bs That if you liked the game you're a fanboy. I know at least 20 people who bought the game. Everyone of them enjoyed the game. No one is saying it's perfect. Simply reviews don't seem to reflect gamers response to the game.

I'm tired of reading this Bs That if you liked the game you're a fanboy. I know at least 20 people who bought the game. Everyone of them enjoyed the game. No one is saying it's perfect. Simply reviews don't seem to reflect gamers response to the game.

I'm glad you have anecdotal evidence that 20 people exist who Like this game.

I don't know what that is proving.

This happens with every hyped game that doesn't meet expectations. Double that if its platform exclusive because then even more people have reason to defend and praise a mediocre game.

Idk why people are so defensive about buyer's impressions being inflated. It makes sense and has been happening forever for everything not just games.

I don't like seeing it used as a reason to dismiss every positive impression in this thread like our opinions don't count.

Do I think some people inflate their opinion of a game? Of course. But at least I know enough to actually read the opinions and decide which ones are inflated and which ones are grounded and balanced.

I think the percentage of people inflating their opinions is relatively small.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think I'm on Chapter XI now or something. Graphics aside, this game is awful. It is just absolutely no fun to play. Frillian's post really nails it, but it goes deeper than that. The game is almost basically Space Ace/Dragon's Lair.

The game manipulates you the entire time. It basically shoves you along saying to you "Look! This is pretty right?! Look! Now look over here! Now look there! Ope, QTE! Okay, I'll let you walk now. Nope! Let me show you this now. Okay, I'ma let you shoot some bad guys for a little bit..."

I feel nothing for the story or the characters. How can I? They are pretty much indestructible until the story just ups and needs them to not be. Because of this, you feel nothing for them. I felt more for Lara Croft than I do these goons.

Why is there absolutely no enemy variation? Its the same dudes over and over. Why are the encounters literal shooting galleries? Why can't I pick and choose what weapons I want to bring? Again, the game says "Okay, you can play with THIS gun for a tiny bit... pretty right? Fuck you back to a pistol." Why does the game give you no heads up when you can and can't melee a dude? Makes no sense! Why are the lycan fights so BAD? Why are there random QTEs?

Why, in a graphically great game, are some of the animations so boring? The guys you're shooting? Don't even really react well to being shot. Felt like a bunch of canned animations. Hell, the only cool animations of the bad guys are SCRIPTED because other characters shoot them! Oh, and the AI companion? What is their purpose when every single enemy automatically targets you no matter where you are?

I can now see why this game rated so poorly so far. It basically takes every single annoyance we've had in games over the past 7+ years and puts them into one package with a pretty bow (taking control from the player, lame QTEs, shooting galleries, waist high crates, awful pacing, cutscenes upon cutscenes...). I'll finish up the game and see if there is any redemption here but at this point, I doubt it.

I just do not like this game. =(

P.S. Anita Sarkeesian should have a field day with this game. I hope she does. The game crams in a lot of fun tropes into it that had me rolling my eyes.

Knack
Resident Evil 6

I didn't pay a cent for Knack, since I played it at my friend's house.
I won't say it didn't deserve most of its reviews, but enjoyed it a lot.

And I love the fuck out of RE6. It's no RE4, but the vitriol surrounding 6 is mind-boggling.

Yes, I know that doesn't answer your question at all. I'm just giving my own perspective. And like I said previously to peterb0y (in a different context), I'd respect you a lot more if you went back and looked for individual impressions that bothered you on how positive they are.

Frillen

Not what I'm saying. I'm just saying they exist. Huge difference.

Actually, reviews seem to reflect gamers response pretty well right now. You have to remember that a meta score of 65 is still under the definition of decent.

The Order 1886 | Reviewers acting like it's 2086.

Really. For a cinematic, story driven game. This stacks up there for me and will join the ranks of Uncharted, Alan Wake, God of War 2, etc in my "while replay this game annually" stack.

Actually, reviews seem to reflect gamers response pretty well right now. You have to remember that a meta score of 65 is still under the definition of decent.

Should be 70's imo easily. Its a whole grade above the crap that normally occupies a 60 range.

Really. For a cinematic, story driven game. This stacks up there for me and will join the ranks of Uncharted, Alan Wake, God of War 2, etc in my "while replay this game annually" stack.

Hold up Slasher. How can I be sure you're not trying to justify your purchase?

Of course they exist. But I don't quite like it when stuff like other people's impression are thrown doubt from an aggregate POV. Call bullshit on any individual one of them, fine. But not saying "oh, most are positive." and wrap it up there.

But that's my opinion.

I don't like seeing it used as a reason to dismiss every positive impression in this thread like our opinions don't count.

Do I think some people inflate their opinion of a game? Of course. But at least I know enough to actually read the opinions and decide which ones are inflated and which ones are grounded and balanced.

I think the percentage of people inflating their opinions is relatively small.

See the post below yours.

I think a lot of people like me who were interested but agreed with the review complaints chose to wait for a price drop. If the review embargo was some ubisoft bullshit day of release at noon or just didn't send copies to press, you would see a ton more disappointed people.

See the post below yours.

I think a lot of people like me who were interested but agreed with the review complaints chose to wait for a price drop. If the review embargo was some ubisoft bullshit day of release at noon or just didn't send copies to press, you would see a ton more disappointed people.

How can you know this?

Sid

Finished it in about 7 hours,liked the game very much and hoping for a much improved sequel,also please don't do chapters which are entirely cutscenes RaD

This isn't the kind of defensive or dismissive post from someone who wants the game to be good because they paid $60.

This is someone who just likes cinematic, linear, setpeice action games. And that's great and I bet he likes this game a lot. Makes total sense.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Based on the positive impressions, I took the plunge and got the game anyway. I'm up to ch5 and I'm glad I did. I'm actually impressed... Yes the game is very cinematic, but it's handled pretty well. The cutscenes aren't overly long, and the gunplay is fun and satisfying. Up until now I could've done with a bit more, just to experiment with the arsenal. The incredible visuals do help to make the game more atmospheric. The
hospital
section was pretty tense and creepy.

I'm usually not a fan of overly cinematic games, but The Order's doing a good job so far.

Top Bottom