• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Ricker

The Lycan fights that charge at you are awful...in chapter 10 I think,I cant do it,even on medium,guess I will bring it down to easy for that part.

PHQERKN.jpg

My views after completing the game:

* As soon as you start getting used to the combat, movie resumes...

* The Order really is what people accused MGS4 to be, just a movie with game imposed on it (atleast mgs4 was no way linear)

* Story was completely messed up with unanswered questions.

* Combat is good, no doubt but it is either just sections filled with it or none at all.

Spoilers:
WTF AND WTF AT NO VAMPIRE ENCOUNTERS, ONLY BUURNING THEM IN THE CRATES? WTF I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO KILLING SOME...

My final rating is: 5/10

It is an experiences that should be tried but the $60 price tag doesn't justify it.

Halfway through, reviews are mostly spot on. This is one of the most basic cover shooters I have ever played. Absolutlyno care was given to designing interestimg level layouts or creating enemies that require any kind of unique strategy to combat them. It is at its best a shooting gallery. Even though it has good weapons they are all used In the most basic way possible. Even the Lycans are terribly executed as the one fight inhad with them they had ONE ATTACK, repeated endlessly.

It is the most gorgeous game of all time and the story is pretty damn good so it's worth a romp but there is nothing of substance from the gameplay.

Man, no wonder people bash gamefly. Game shipped Thursday afternoon and I still didn't get it today. I'm like 4 hours away from the distribution center

The Lycan fights that charge at you are awful...in chapter 10 I think,I cant do it,even on medium,guess I will bring it down to easy for that part.

Have you tried using blacksight? Trick is not to shoot them before they charge you. Wait until the evade prompt appears and once you're up got to blacksight or shoot them from the hip. Don't aim. You're too slow when you aim.
At least that's how I did it.

But I think the lycan fights are generally poorly done.

Loomba

Thoughts on no reflections in mirrors:

I still think it is a spoiler in the game. I think the potion they drink is mixed with vampire blood, so they are infact all half breeds themselves. Look at the amount of damage they can take.

I don't think they are vampires, I think over the centuries they develop a natural affinity to the black water, but hey who knows for certain

I get now after playing it (and not liking it).

Now, imagine how I have to break that down to customers who ask about the game.

"How is The Order?"
"Well, it's not much of a TPS. It's more like Beyond Two Souls with QTEs, some shooting here and there and tons of cutscenes. About 7-9 hours long....hey, where are you going? Come back! Pre-order Bloodbourne or Dragon Ball Xenoverse instead!"

You say this on a forum full of people who fall victim to hype on a higher level that the average customer? Come on. Looking back, the advertising for this game is complete bullshit.

I think a large part of the problem is in the expectation / preconception of what the Order is. Tell them that it's like a movie that they play through. I don't want to get too into the debate, but that is what I genuinely believe RAD intended and have delivered. Dissuading any other preconceptions would be for their own good. Anyone who goes into this expecting Gears of War (Yore?) is going to miss out on that intent and not enjoy the game. It may not be to their tastes but they will be more likely to understand it if they know what they are about to sit down and play etc.

For what it's worth, that is exact mentality I went into it with (because RAD have pretty much said from the get-go that what they were making was a cinematic third person game that would be indistinguishable between gameplay and cutscenes).

My expectation from that was that they would be making something that was somewhere between Beyond / Heavy Rain and Uncharted / Gears — but not Gears unto itself. And I enjoyed exactly for what it was.

My advice to everyone is go into it understanding that you are playing a movie that has more interactivity than point and click games and action where it makes sense to be in the story etc.

Call of Duty, Minecraft, Street Figher, Hearthstone, Fez, Gone Home etc all exist on a spectrum, but are all valid as games. If there is a place for them, then I think there is a valid place for games like The Order, and that variety is indeed what makes our hobby great.

Thoughts on no reflections in mirrors:

I still think it is a spoiler in the game. I think the potion they drink is mixed with vampire blood, so they are infact all half breeds themselves. Look at the amount of damage they can take.

I thought that as well but what about all those normal people/NPCs? They don't have or drink blackwater and yet they're missing from the reflections as well

So, if you go in expecting a game the way Sony has marketed this the entire way through (include commercials playing in GameStop right now), you'll be disappointed?

This game is fucked when casual customers realize that didn't get a shooter, they got Beyond: Two Souls instead.

Hell, if they would of added some dialog options during the cutscenes, branching QTEs and maybe like 3 different outcomes they could of marketed in that sort of genre. Pretty much a WAY better looking WAY better controlling Telltale Game.

I just beat it and yeah, it was meh. Seems like the game kind of doesn't really know what it wants to be. The pacing was really weird. For instance some cutscenes were entire chapters. Right when the game would start to pick up and get a good groove going it would come to a halt either with a cutscene or a forced walking section.

The universe is really cool. I hope they will be another one down the road. Though I hope the "cinematic experience" people at RAD learn from this. I wish there was more replay value or some sort of multiplayer/coop, all that amazing artwork and you are only able to see it passing by in a very linear way.

The most impressive looking game I have ever played though. God damn.

Beefy

I thought that as well but what about all those normal people/NPCs? They don't have or drink blackwater and yet they're missing from the reflections as well

Are they? I never really saw a mirror when I was around other non Order npcs.

What, redbox gets new releases? And it's only 3 dollars, no membership? I might have to look into this.

Only very few select locations get current gen games. Not sure why they don't expand it, they would make a fortune. I'm using gamefly for this and its fucking terrible, by any reasonable shipping standard I should have gotten it today but didnt. Redbox needs to get with it

melkier33

so i'm getting near the end of the game. what stealth section was everyone was so angry about?

I hope none of them all the stealth sections are easy, especially the later ones where the give you a long range stealth weapon for that section...even with out using it it's easy.

thebloo

My advice to everyone is go into it understanding that you are playing a movie that has more interactivity than point and click games and action where it makes sense to be in the story etc.

Indeed.

So, I completed it. Some thoughts:
- I liked it. I'm glad I got it. It did everything it said it would do, excepting the "choose your QTE" thing they mentioned. I didn't find any.
- The story is good. If you want everything to be wrapped up, you'll be disappointed, but it was a very good beginning for more stories in this universe. I hope they get the chance to continue the story in game form. Or at least in comic form
- Love the shooting, love most of the weapons. RAD, I would pay good money for an Arena Scoring Challenge or Horde Mode DLC
- Excellent graphics, excellent voice acting. If it has to be called a movie, it was a movie I liked.
- The lore is absolutely fascinating.

My gf gifted me The Order for our anniversary yesterday morning (CET).

I gifted her a bouquet of roses.

I've finished the game on hard and the roses are still fresh.

Also for people saying this cinematic i won't say so because everything look so stiff and has poor transition animation
One of the things that make UC and TLOU so cinematic is it's animation in and out of combat and the order transition animation for both is very poor and not free flowing .
FUCK i think this is the worst game i have spend my money in the last 15 years lol .

kmag

I think a large part of the problem is in the expectation / preconception of what the Order is. Tell them that it's like a movie that they play through. I don't want to get too into the debate, but that is what I genuinely believe RAD intended and have delivered. Dissuading any other preconceptions would be for their own good. Anyone who goes into this expecting Gears of War (Yore?) is going to miss out on that intent and not enjoy the game. It may not be to their tastes but they will be more likely to understand it if they know what they are about to sit down and play etc.

For what it's worth, that is exact mentality I went into it with (because RAD have pretty much said from the get-go that what they were making was a cinematic third person game that would be indistinguishable between gameplay and cutscenes).

My expectation from that was that they would be making something that was somewhere between Beyond / Heavy Rain and Uncharted / Gears — but not Gears unto itself. And I enjoyed exactly for what it was.

Call of Duty, Minecraft, Street Figher, Hearthstone, Fez, Gone Home etc all exist on a spectrum, but are all valid as games. If there is a place for them, then I think there is a valid place for games like The Order, and that variety is indeed what makes our hobby great.

Having played through it today, after getting my brothers copy of it when he finished it. The story is absolutely pants and as cliched as it comes. The setting is the only interesting thing about it, the actual narrative itself isn't well paced, well told or even that well presented. The VO is very good so there's that.
the betrayer is so fucking obvious from like the second scene he's in, it actually surprised me they didn't do a fakeout

They actually had a relatively nice framework for gameplay, apart from some of the combat QTE's, the gun play is nice enough. Although the encounter design varies from god awful to bleh.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Played some of this today at a friend's place. Reached Chapter 2, and then had to shut it down as the others wanted to play some co-op game. Here are my thoughts.

-Shooting mechanics felt pretty good. I had my doubts earlier, but the shooting felt fun, precise and natural. It was the 3rd time I was holding a PS4 controller as well, and it blows the PS3 controller out of the water. Very adaptable controls, and fluid.

-Visually, the game's a bomb, but that's something everyone here knows off. We had to tinker with the TV settings a bit in the start as everything seemed WAY too drowned out. However, once we did, everything looked crisp and solid. RAD have owned in the visual dept, and this shows.

-QTEs. Well, I understand the place for QTEs in modern AAA games. I really do, but there, they were EVERYWHERE. RAD really needed to tone them down. I started thinking of Heavy Rain/Beyond, and that's not something I'm too fond off. They need to tone them down for the next game.

That's what I can you about it as I hardly played much, but am looking forward to either ending this at my friend's place or watching a walkthrough. I don't have a PS4, so I can't play it myself, sadly.

Ricker

Have you tried using blacksight? Trick is not to shoot them before they charge you. Wait until the evade prompt appears and once you're up got to blacksight or shoot them from the hip. Don't aim. You're too slow when you aim.
At least that's how I did it.

But I think the lycan fights are generally poorly done.

Ah I will try that,shooting from the hip,thnaks.

Readingaid

Neo Member
Just finiahed it. LOVED every single second of it i really hope it does well enough for a sequel because the universe and characters are Spot on.

Saiyan-Rox

I just now started playing

Is it me (or my TV) or is there a big blur over everything? it's not exactly smooth imo :S especially when your charcater moves around. idk maybe PC gaming has spoiled me but I was especting crystal clear graphics and so far i'm not mega impressed?

not a troll and not a diss to the game but maybe I was expecting far too much?

ViciousDS

Banned
I just now started playing

Is it me (or my TV) or is there a big blur over everything? it's not exactly smooth imo :S especially when your charcater moves around. idk maybe PC gaming has spoiled me but I was especting crystal clear graphics and so far i'm not mega impressed?

not a troll and not a diss to the game but maybe I was expecting far too much?

Its that movie grain filter

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
If by some Miracle this game gets an OT2, the title should be OT2|Clink Clink Clink

So many clinking bottles. They overdid it a bit.

antitrop

Indeed.

So, I completed it. Some thoughts:
- I liked it. I'm glad I got it. It did everything it said it would do, excepting the "choose your QTE" thing they mentioned. I didn't find any.

I think that might have just been a misunderstanding. There is a form of "branching QTEs" during the first
Elder Lycan
fight.

Not done with the game, but I haven't seen another one, yet.

Jito

Banned
I think RAD seriously underused the airship, you're miles up in the air over London yet the level plays out entirely indoors with no platforming or shootouts high above the city. I forgot I was on a airship part way through. Also why
do they kill everyone in the cockpit when they don't know who's a rebel?
It seemed pretty excessive when they could've just told them what's up? And then you don't get to see the
bombs go off or the airship crash.
it's clear the engine is graphically amazing yet RAD can't really do much with it.

Dunno why I'm so hung up on this chapter, I had different ideas in my head when I saw the airships.

I think that might have just been a misunderstanding. There is a form of "branching QTEs" during the first
Elder Lycan
fight.

Not done with the game, but I haven't seen another one, yet.
No. RAD was actually hyping up the 4 moments where you can use the right analogue stick in a QTE to decide between punching the chest or the head, which basically has no consequence at all.

so i'm getting near the end of the game. what stealth section was everyone was so angry about?
Probably the garden one. Pretty easy, but badly designed regardless.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Having played through it today, after getting my brothers copy of it when he finished it. The story is absolutely pants and as cliched as it comes. The setting is the only interesting thing about it, the actual narrative itself isn't well paced, well told or even that well presented. The VO is very good so there's that.
the betrayer is so fucking obvious from like the second scene he's in, it actually surprised me they didn't do a fakeout

They actually had a relatively nice framework for gameplay, apart from some of the combat QTE's, the gun play is nice enough. Although the encounter design varies from god awful to bleh.
I share this opinion, the straight faced use of cliches, easy as hell to figure out villain
Think the "fakeout" is supposed to be that he's a vampire and not a lycan.
, the really subpar random romance implications between
Galahad and the Queen, we do literally nothing to warrant or imply a romance, it's shoehorned in.
And the lack of context at the beginning or why the Order is the one dedicated to dealing with the rebellion when they're supposed to be hunting lycans. Just lots of strange narrative decisions that in the end squander what is a unique premise.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Ugh it makes everything all blurry especially cutscenes....already not impressed

RAD have basically done what Geurilla did with Killzone 2. Just smother everything in post processing. Except with Killzone it was to hide low poly models and average texture work.

In The Order its to give it a CG movie look. To be honest as good ad this looks, I think Ryse would look equally as good if you applied all the same post processing to it.

Khayam

Banned
What's the button combination for quickly turning when aiming a gun ? I think I read it here many pages ago but can't find it.

Forsete

The
Hospital part
is fucking fantastic.

And this is the best looking game ever, no contest.
Right now the game feels like a 7/10 to me, too many brakes in the gameplay with cutscenes, but they are very pretty too look at. :p

Also the sound is fantastic, really impressed. I am shocked this is running at a rock solid 30 fps. Good job RAD.

Quick thoughts,
the Indian woman had black water that was bestowed to her by a knight that was lost in the grail search. How did he have black water without ever seeing the grail? Could be the old man that saved you.

thebloo

No. RAD was actually hyping up the 4 moments where you can use the right analogue stick in a QTE to decide between punching the chest or the head, which basically has no consequence at all.

Oh, yeah. I remember that one. They had a full presentation about something like that a while back. Made it seem more important.

I share this opinion, the straight faced use of cliches, easy as hell to figure out villain
Galahad and the Queen, we do literally nothing to warrant or imply a romance, it's shoehorned in.
And the lack of context at the beginning or why the Order is the one dedicated to dealing with the rebellion when they're supposed to be hunting lycans. Just lots of strange narrative decisions that in the end squander what is a unique premise.

I wasn't sure who the villain was, I was even suspecting
Lafayette
at some point, but it's probably since I was expecting a "fakeout".
I liked the story. It was by the numbers, but it was done well. I didn't find the romantic parts forced, it seems normal to me that
when you're 1000 years old, you're attracted to old people such as yourself

You really dont fight that many Lycans considering its supposed to be the Orders main task lol

Saiyan-Rox

RAD have basically done what Geurilla did with Killzone 2. Just smother everything in post processing. Except with Killzone it was to hide low poly models and average texture work.

In The Order its to give it a CG movie look. To be honest as good ad this looks, I think Ryse would look equally as good if you applied all the same post processing to it.

I honestly think it ruins the look imo I like crystal clear no blur or film grain stuff. I can't exactly remember what Ryse looked like on the xbone i'll have to go back as see.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Story-wise, I think it would serve better as the second part of a trilogy. I really want to see the Order focus on taking out werewolves before the uprising of the rebels, and the discovery of
the vampires
would make a bigger impact after fighting the lycans across two games.

Top Bottom