• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 |OT| Gears of Yore

Green Yoshi

LG 34UM95 with "Cinema 1" mode.

Y8LsssS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Y8LsssS.jpg

Looks quite nice. The TV scales the image.

MattyG

Banned
You really dont fight that many Lycans considering its supposed to be the Orders main task lol
I don't think eliminating Lycans is their main task, I think they just deal with anything that threatens the security of England. The Lycans just happen to be one of their older adversaries.

viveks86

I missed a couple of minor points from my notes, so I've updated my review. lol. Probably why reviews should be given more time to bake in the oven!

Special mention on attention to detail:
Even the coat tails of random NPCs fluttered realistically in the wind.

Bugs/Glitches:
There was one scene where I needed to use the monocular to find something to drop on the rebels. The game for some reason did not recognize my controller input at all. It eventually skipped that portion on its own.

During the early portion of the game, the cutscenes had a weird bounce/jerky movement every time the camera cut to a different angle, as if the scene was being rendered before it was fully ready. This eventually faded away (either because they cleaned it up later in the game or my eyes got used to it)

Blood was randomly appearing and disappearing from Galahad's body in one scene towards the end. The blood was from the previous combat where I got hit pretty bad. The glitch was a bit distracting during that cutscene.

Minor narrative issues:
Noticed a couple of jarring oversights in the screenplay, but not too significant. When the guy at the
brothel
demanded that Galahad should deposit his weapons before entering, he totally allowed the giant conspicuous knife he was carrying on his back. Similarly, when Galahad is asked if brutally stealth killing all those guards towards the end was necessary, his response was "there is no time". So everything the man lived to uphold for centuries was thrown right out the window, because gamers could get some satisfying knife-to-throat action. Couldn't they even think about non-lethal takedowns that were just as cool? And later on, Galahad
is accused of "incapacitating" the guards
. What he did was anything but that. If there were any apt examples of ludonarrative dissonance in games, this would be a top pick.

You really dont fight that many Lycans considering its supposed to be the Orders main task lol
I dont understand this. And if they are rare in the game, you think they would have made it a wee bit more memorable. I have only played the part at the begining so far but that was extremely underwhelming for me. If its the same style of encounter for the other times in the game I will be disappoint.

Scrulox

Neo Member
So I finally got to try the game at a friend's house. And I wonder why some people called this game a breath of fresh air or innovative. I mean this game is essentially a typical TPS with a much heavier focus on cut-scenes and presentation instead of gameplay. You kill a bunch of enemies in a room, and then move on to the next room and do the same thing but with more and longer cut-scenes in between. I mean what the hell is so fresh about this? Is it because the game doesn't let you play the game nearly as much as other TPSs? I'm confused.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I must be the stupidest guy...

I did not use Blacksight at all in the game.

As a bonus, I did not use ANY of the alternative firing things too.

I feel so damn stupid for missing these things. There is a big R1 in the weapon screen too.

Fuck me.

Loudninja

So I finally got to try the game at a friend's house. And I wonder why some people called this game a breath of fresh air or innovative. I mean this game is essentially a typical TPS with a much heavier focus on cut-scenes and presentation instead of gameplay. You kill a bunch of enemies in a room, and then move on to the next room and do the same thing but with more and longer cut-scenes in between. I mean what the hell is so fresh about this? Is it because the game doesn't let you play the game nearly as much as other TPSs? I'm confused.
No one mention anything being innovative.

antitrop

Everything you say is correct. I can't remember ever seeing anyone call this game fresh or innovative, though.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

I certainly find it very unique. The gameplay side of it of course is cut straight out of the third-person shooter template, with maybe one or two little flourishes, but that can be said about so many games. What makes it stand out is the incomparable attention to detail and level of presentation. Never before has a game world felt so tangible or real, and that alone will make it stand out in my memory even before taking on board the interesting story and cast of characters. Innovative though? Nah.

I feel so damn stupid for missing these things. There is a big R1 in the weapon screen too.

Fuck me.

How did you use the thermite rifle then? lol

I don't think eliminating Lycans is their main task, I think they just deal with anything that threatens the security of England. The Lycans just happen to be one of their older adversaries.
"Our Order has remained steadfast in its sacred mission to preserve the balance between man and half breed"

Literally what the lord chancellor says right at the beginning. Sounds like their main mission. Im not too fuzzed about it, just something I thought was a bit funny, that the Lycans barely saw use.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!

Fuck me.

Is there alternate fire for every gun? If so I missed out on a couple of them lol.

Readingaid

Neo Member
Quick thoughts,
the Indian woman had black water that was bestowed to her by a knight that was lost in the grail search. How did he have black water without ever seeing the grail? Could be the old man that saved you.

It was and also she didnt save you Tesla did He was an insider to The Order and its possible he got hold of some.

nikos

Just finished the game and loved everything about it. Great story, excellent gunplay, beautiful visuals, a very polished experience overall. The length was fine, and I don't feel like there were too many cutscenes at all. Really hope a sequel is coming.

I actually really want to get this platinum trophy, but I think it requires playing the entire game over again. The only ones I'm missing are the ones that require collectibles. Doesn't look like the game keeps track of anything except the phonographs, so there's no way to tell which of the other collectibles you already have.

kvothe

Just beat the game. I think 90% of the reason people are talking about how "shitty" this game is is because it's an exclusive. Yes, it was short and yes, there are many QTEs, but both of these would've been much more minor quibbles had the game been a multiplatform game. It has a story I can at least follow, which is a step up from most games, and the creative weaponry combined with the atmosphere made this a game I enjoyed. The price is quite high for what you get, but I see where the money was spent making this game. They did not cut any corners and they made something quite beautiful.

Just beat the game. I think 90% of the reason people are talking about how "shitty" this game is is because it's an exclusive. Yes, it was short and yes, there are many QTEs, but both of these would've been much more minor quibbles had the game been a multiplatform game. It has a story I can at least follow, which is a step up from most games, and the creative weaponry combined with the atmosphere made this a game I enjoyed. The price is quite high for what you get, but I see where the money was spent making this game. They did not cut any corners and they made something quite beautiful.

And I think some percentage of the reason people are talking about how good the game is is because its an exclusive.

You really think if it wasn't a Sony exclusive it would have reviewed differently?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh... uh... I don't know why they would do that, haha.
Same reason why they would advertise "unique weapons made by tesla" and "lycan fights." Those are the most interesting parts to advertise even though every single one of them is painfully underused.

I wasn't sure who the villain was, I was even suspecting
Lafayette
at some point, but it's probably since I was expecting a "fakeout".
I liked the story. It was by the numbers, but it was done well. I didn't find the romantic parts forced, it seems normal to me that
when you're 1000 years old, you're attracted to old people such as yourself
I've played so many games and watched so many films that I see plot twists coming a mile away.
When Perceval said "I'll tell you sometime soon" he may as well have had a giant arrow pointing to his face that says *Will Die Soon,* and it's not about being attracted to old people, (because let's face it, the females are not ugly), it's the fact that it's shoehorned in even though the two have no chemistry besides the queen saying "My gallant knight" occasionally.
What's even more annoying is that it's a mediocre story filled with the occasional good dialogue along with good actors and music.

Which is one of my main gripes with the game. Especially when you consider what the original debut trailer was about.

The price is quite high for what you get, but I see where the money was spent making this game. They did not cut any corners and they made something quite beautiful.
Off the top of my head, multiple areas where they cut corners
-Enemy AI
-encounters with lycans
-story
nothing is resolved except that Lucan gets killed.
-
final boss being literally the exact same fight repeated with no new animations aside from different QTE cutscenes.
-tesla weapons, barely are used throughout the game in favor of generic weapon types

Stainless

Fuck me.

Don't feel bad. After reading your post I had to google how to use Blacksight. I finished the game late last night, I missed that feature entirely.

Don't feel bad. After reading your post I had to google how to use Blacksight. I finished the game late last night, I missed that feature entirely.

yeah I found out about certain aspects late in the game so it felt like playing blind at first, I still dont feel like i completely know all the controls, still surprised i was capable of getting through it all on hard without knowing half that stuff.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Only very few select locations get current gen games. Not sure why they don't expand it, they would make a fortune. I'm using gamefly for this and its fucking terrible, by any reasonable shipping standard I should have gotten it today but didnt. Redbox needs to get with it

I dunno what's been up with gamefly the last few weeks since they did this with the last game too. Shipped monday, didn't get it until friday, and I live an hour away from their pittsburgh center where it shipped from.

antitrop

Same reason why they would advertise "unique weapons made by tesla" and "lycan fights." Those are the most interesting parts to advertise even though every single one of them is painfully underused.

I agree. I like the game quite a bit, but you just can't ignore the lack of value for full retail and the bevy of missed opportunities.

What's there is mostly good, but The Order is perhaps one of the worst things a game can be: incomplete. To me, it feels like 3/4 of a game. I like that 3/4, so it makes it hard to formulate thoughts on how I really feel about this game. I'm almost at the end, though. We'll see.

The game is shorter than the story its trying to tell, even for a first entry in a series. I look at something like Spec Ops: The Line, which can be completed in 4-5 hours, but has what I feel is a complete story and complete experience. I don't feel this with The Order, at all. The arc feels wrong. It feels like the game is coming close to the end at the Rising Action, still. Considering how long it took to make this game, the possibility of a sequel never being made, and how long it would take to make said sequel, that's not really acceptable.

Well I'm about 3.5 hours in on the airship, chapter 5.
I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit so far.

The pacing is a bit odd at times.
Best looking game ever. The art direction is superb.
Sounds and music are excellent.
Gunplay feels good (loved the Thermite Gun) but the shooting sections should cover greater areas with more optional ways to deal with enemies to help improve variety - one of the things Watch Dogs got right that would work n this game, but without the hacking theme obviously.

I don't mind the cinematic QTE approach too much as it is generally integrated with story events so far (although having long strings of one button press events isn't exactly thrilling) but if there is a sequel they need to improve these sections. My suggestion would be to have more multiple outcome QTEs and some branching story sections as a consequence. This should be more than easily achievable as all sequences are 'in engine' and would also improve replayability.

jet1911

Some of those encounters are really boring. Trapped in the same space until the game is tiree of throwing guys at you. And don't get me started on those lycans "fights". If these are the biggest ennemies The Order has to face...

Also those armoured guys, dressed in some kind of metalic armor (helmet included), that don't die from one shot of Arc Gun can fuck right off. I also had one of those guys survive 2 blast at point blank from the 3 barrel shotgun. I know I'm playing on Hard but come on now.

Graphics are out of this world batshit crazy. Wow.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I finished chapter 10, still liking it. The climax of the
warehouse fire
was pretty intense, loving the shootouts in this game. I hope I get to use the thermite gun again.

thebloo

I've played so many games and watched so many films that I see plot twists coming a mile away.
When Perceval said "I'll tell you sometime soon" he may as well have had a giant arrow pointing to his face that says *Will Die Soon,* and it's not about being attracted to old people, (because let's face it, the females are not ugly), it's the fact that it's shoehorned in even though the two have no chemistry besides the queen saying "My gallant knight" occasionally.
What's even more annoying is that it's a mediocre story filled with the occasional good dialogue along with good actors and music.

I understand what you're saying, there are tropes everywhere. I usually don't like to speculate during a story since it negates a lot of the satisfaction I would get. I'm along for the ride and if it's a good ride, cliches be damned

And I still don't get the problem with the romantic part.
It's a off-hand comment where the Queen is not even there, it's not like they kissed.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I recall someone saying months ago that the devs mentioned that lycans can't be killed by normal means and that we should be excited for the reveal. Yet, all it takes is bullets and a heart stab.

I understand what you're saying, there are tropes everywhere. I usually don't like to speculate during a story since it negates a lot of the satisfaction I would get. I'm along for the ride and if it's a good ride, cliches be damned

It's a off-hand comment where the Queen is not even there, it's not like they kissed.
I prefer when cliches are subverted since there've been so many instances of cliches in video games that it's cringeworthy to see them repeatedly used. Or at the very least made fun of.
"We're not so different you and I."
And I don't tend to speculate either, it's just that I naturally see twists coming when they present themselves too obviously.
The vampire twist wasn't obvious, expected him to be a lycan.

If you are frustrated by the charging lycan bit you should try using the R1 alternate 'air' attack just as the get towards you. It stops the lycan hitting you and momentarily stuns it letting you shoot a clip at it.

Readingaid

Neo Member

the weird thing is its only ever implied that they have a romantic link and only by her. For all we know and we were kind of shown is that she is a mentalist much like her father.
Wow I reallyw ant a sequel already.

hesido

Fuck me.
Instant replay value right there for you.

Vinc

Oh man I just finished it.

I get everyone's complaints about the game but I'm not gonna lie I ended up loving it.

The ending makes me want a sequel so bad.

Readingaid

Neo Member
Imagine how hyped everyone would be for a sequel if RAD came out in a years time or something and said "we learnt oyr mistakes last time and we have something special coming"

First gameplay reveal is the same level of tech and visuals but some super intense Lycan fights.

tease vampire fights and show story moments with Izzy and Galahad going around rogue

Instant hype haha.

Top Bottom