• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

Werd

I was fine with the Kardashian kids cameo in the first episode. They were alive and around, a glimpse is fine. But I was not expecting increasing length out of place scenes in the next two episodes as well, consisting largely of repeating their name as many times as possible. Is this not supposed to be something of a prestige drama? Does FX think it will actually increase viewership? Really off-putting opening.

Otherwise mundane episode without much to comment on. Solid, but expecting some improvement based on the reviews...

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I was fine with the Kardashian kids cameo in the first movie. They were alive and around, a glimpse is fine. But I was not expecting increasing length out of place scenes in the next two episodes as well, consisting largely of repeating their name as many times as possible. Is this not supposed to be something of a prestige drama? Does FX think it will actually increase viewership? Really off-putting opening.

Otherwise mundane episode without much to comment on. Solid, but expecting some improvement based on the reviews...

Don't think it is FX to be honest. If I had to take a guess on who added it in that guess would be Ryan Murphy.

styl3s

Breaking Bad had fucks in it. It's not new.
Breaking Bads fucks were edited out no?. I remember a lot of people on GAF being upset that AMC didn't let them get away with it during a certain scene on the final season.

This was completely uncensored on my comcast broadcast but every fuck on Breaking Bad was edited for me.

The were blanked out on the broadcast live though.

That is the first time I just heard "Motherfucker" on cable TV. Wow. I wonder if it was intentional
Yeah i don't ever recall hearing fuck on cable outside of a late late late night comedy special on comedy central years ago at like 2-3am. I was blown away that the standup was completely uncensored.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought the Kardashian scene at the beginning of this episode was good for the reason Goodstyle brought up.

Same. It added something to the story, because obviously that level of sudden fame is going to change aspects of your life.

I think Travolta is doing a good job as well. It's a bizarre performance, but he's playing a bizzare person.

Sometimes the show is a little too on the nose with a moment, but all the actors are putting in work. Cuba stepped it up in that final scene, and Vance is crushing it as Johnnie.

breakfuss

The Kardashians tie-in is bullshit, honestly. I complained about it the first week but I didn't say anything about it last episode after they spelled their fucking names out in front of the TV. Now in the opening seconds of this week's they start off with it? It's honestly detracting from my enjoyment.

And, god, was Marcia Clark's hair really that god awful. lol i'm not stylist but shiiiiiet lol. It's distracting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I really wish the dialogue weren't so on the nose and all-knowing.

And, god, was Marcia Clark's hair really that god awful. lol i'm not stylist but shiiiiiet lol. It's distracting.
Yes it was, and she'd be the first person to say so.
[Sarah Paulson] had a funny anecdote about meeting you — she said you apologized to her for your hair.
Yeah, I did. Oh man, sorry about that hair, man. And I have to tell you, the people I've met after the trial, when they found out I didn't have curly hair, that that was just a perm, that my hair is naturally completely straight, wanted to kill me. How could you do that? You're so lucky to have straight hair.

Well, you know, in the late '80s and early '90s, we were all perming.
Thank you! Maria, I need that. I did need that — because right now I'm looking at myself. I'm looking at Sarah and I'm going, What the hell was I thinking? I mean, I know what I was thinking. I wanted wash-and-wear hair. I had two little boys in diapers, and I did not have time to mess with that stuff. But still, thank you. Thank you for giving me cover.
Perms were/are wack, although her rationale at the time was perfectly understandable.

Dishwalla

Banned

While it is a scripted show that certainly meant to include the word it possible that it slipped by the network standards and practices and was actually supposed to be censored. However given the show and it's nature I'm pretty sure it's uncensored use was intentional. Essentially I can see what that poster was trying to say, but I don't think it was a mistake.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm sure they knew about the "motherfucker" line. It's getting good buzz, I don't think FX is worried about losing any advertisers over that. They could go have the whole show peppered with swear words if they wanted to, it's a cable show. But basic cable seems content to let the occasional swear word out. I think someone mentioned AMC gives you like an allowance of swears or something. Lol. It's all pretty silly.

The most shocking thing I've heard on TV in recent memory wasn't even a swear word. Near the tail end of Season 1 of The Bridge, one of the characters says "I want you to cum in me." Another FX show. It isn't even that bad, but you never see these supposedly adult shows go there these days.

Jasper

That O.J Simpson prank call to Johnny Cochran was fucking hilarious!

"I killed her..hehehe..I killed her good...oh yeah"

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Breaking Bads fucks were edited out no?. I remember a lot of people on GAF being upset that AMC didn't let them get away with it during a certain scene on the final season.

This was completely uncensored on my comcast broadcast but every fuck on Breaking Bad was edited for me.

Yeah i don't ever recall hearing fuck on cable outside of a late late late night comedy special on comedy central years ago at like 2-3am. I was blown away that the standup was completely uncensored.

Mad Men had at least a couple of fucks unedited in its final season if memory serves. One of them was so casually used, I'm surprised it was even there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I actually liked the opening - it played out almost like a horror movie, with Robert seeing his children becoming fame monsters right before his very eyes with not a thing he could do about it. Like everyone else said, it was on the nose, but I think the previous scenes involving the Kardashian Kidz were a little too thin on substance/subtext, not to mention super obnoxious, so I didn't mind that this one featured more substantial commentary.

Mad Men had at least a couple of fucks unedited in its final season if memory serves. One of them was so casually used, I'm surprised it was even there.

I think Better Call Saul did too.

Sober

I thought the Kardashian scene at the beginning of this episode was good for the reason Goodstyle brought up.
Yeah, basically that. It's a little on the nose but I appreciated that they did it, the present notwithstanding.

I do wonder if the current Kardashians would've become so popular had it not been for the exposure of the events surrounding the OJ Simpson murder trial. It seems like (and I don't know the background of the people involved very well) these families were so close it would still be possible, if maybe instead they'd stay minor celebrities in the orbit of Simpson? Or I wonder if it's because of the role of the media in events like these that help propel people like the Kardashian name forward so drastically.

Sloane

Banned
Yeah, I had not problems with the kids' scenes either, no idea why people find them so annoying. Then again, living in Europe, I know virtually nothing about the Kardashians.

tolkir

Yeah, I had not problems with the kids' scenes either, no idea why people find them so annoying. Then again, living in Europe, I know virtually nothing about the Kardashians.

True. I think the only thing, that we know about them, is about those ass photos with champagne.

Watching these scenes they look narcissist as hell.

I'm getting kind of bored of the show to be honest. I went on a massive YouTube binge watching hours of documentaries and interviews. Doubt they will be able to capture the complete shit show of a trial it was with only a few episodes left.

Sandfox

I'm getting kind of bored of the show to be honest. I went on a massive YouTube binge watching hours of documentaries and interviews. Doubt they will be able to capture the complete shit show of a trial it was with only a few episodes left.

The show is less than a third through so its still pretty early.

MisterR

So did anyone see this live back when it happened? the car chase stuff?

Yep, everybody saw it. It's really hard to describe what the whole thing was like if you didn't live through it. I was 19 and the trial and bronco chase and all that just dominated the culture. I was in college, so I'd watch the trial stuff during the day. I was at my girlfriends house when the Bronco chase started. It was bizarre and you have to understand that OJ was kind of a beloved figure at the time as well.

Great episode. Again stellar acting from everyone: Shapiro, Kardashian, OJ, The District Attorney and of course Cochran.

I just cant get over how bad the Marcia actress is. Anyone else in the same boat? She comes off so horribly try hard. Awful line delivery and "acting". She's not even a smoker I can tell by the way she holds the cig. Sorry for letting the film snob in me out in the open. But she is bad bad bad and I dont get why she was cast. She makes me groan every time she's on. Total and utter miscast.

B-Dex

Great episode. Again stellar acting from everyone: Shapiro, Kardashian, OJ, The District Attorney and of course Cochran.

I just cant get over how bad the Marcia actress is. Anyone else in the same boat? She comes off so horribly try hard. Awful line delivery and "acting". She's not even a smoker I can tell by the way she holds the cig. Sorry for letting the film snob in me out in the open. But she is bad bad bad and I dont get why she was cast. She makes me groan every time she's on. Total and utter miscast.

Are you saying Sarah Paulson is a bad actress?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Let's dispel once and for all with the fiction that Sarah Paulson doesn't know what she is doing, she knows exactly what she is doing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Kardashian stuff is so annoying. It's like they just wanted to make a Kardashian prequel movie and OJ happened to be a part of their lives.

Horrible, terrible, no good actress.

miss-isringhausen-1024.jpg

LOL, the guy they picked for Goldman's father is spot-on. I can't wait to see the press conferences.

Another solid episode, but this felt like a bit of filler more than anything else. Surprisingly, the Kardashians scene didn't annoy me. I can kind of see Shapiro's personality in Travolta, but his performance is still pretty lackluster. Courtney Vance and Sarah Paulson are still acting rings around everyone else.

Mifune

Mehmber
I absolutely love Travolta in this. Kinda surprised he's considered the weak link by many critics. Although I don't know who the weak link would be since the performances are uniformly excellent.

Ryan_MSF

Binge-watched the first three episodes yesterday and after finishing Making A Murderer it's filling a void that show left. Really loving this show so far.

Top Bottom