• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

Ross unironically calling OJ "Juice" is the funniest part of the show.
- Warming Glow: David Schwimmer And The Quest For 100 Juices: ‘American Crime Story,’ Episode 4
In this weekly addendum to our People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story recaps, we’ll be keeping track of how many times David Schwimmer — in character as Robert Kardashian — calls O.J. Simpson “Juice,” and charting his progress to see if he can reach 100 total Juices by the end of the season. Yes, this is our job. Yes, we went to college.
Juices in this episode: 7
Total Juice count: 34
Current rate of Juices per episode: 8.5
Total Juices needed to reach 100: 66
Rate of Juices per remaining episode needed to reach 100: 11

The Beard

You take that back.

Ross unironically calling OJ "Juice" is the funniest part of the show.

I can't not see Ross when he's on the screen. He's apparently unable to change his mannerisms, voice, or facial expressions at all. Even a big star like Travolta blends into his character for me, because he's not just acting like Travolta with bushy eyebrows.

Paulson and Vance are just awesome. Cuba is a really good actor but the fact that he looks and sounds nothing like OJ kind of hurts the show. I still love it though, it's a great show.

Dalek

Courtney B Vance is getting the role of his life-I went over his filmography last night and he's had a long career but never had that "one" role. It reminds me of Bokeem Woodbine on Fargo last year-a fantastic actor who has worked all their life that finally gets the recognition they deserve on a standout ensemble show where they are the standout.

I keep telling people to watch this show with the caveat that I think Cuba Gooding's performance is really weird. Granted, playing OJ Simpson isn't exactly easy, but his characterization seems strange to me.

The quivering voice and almost childlike reaction to a lot of things makes me think of Tracy Jordan from 30 Rock. I understand the show wants to tread the line between making us question his guilt and seeing that he's a guy with a lot of issues, but it's weird how vulnerable they portray him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The quivering voice and almost childlike reaction to a lot of things makes me think of Tracy Jordan from 30 Rock. I understand the show wants to tread the line between making us question his guilt and seeing that he's a guy with a lot of issues, but it's weird how vulnerable they portray him.

I was thinking the exact same thing last night! I have no idea if that's how OJ really was back then, but Cuba's version is kind of off-putting.

Curufinwe

I keep telling people to watch this show with the caveat that I think Cuba Gooding's performance is really weird. Granted, playing OJ Simpson isn't exactly easy, but his characterization seems strange to me.

Well, he did try to kill himself. I think he was vulnerable.

Looking forward to:

5Tnj4h0.jpg

Courtney B Vance is getting the role of his life-I went over his filmography last night and he's had a long career but never had that "one" role. It reminds me of Bokeem Woodbine on Fargo last year-a fantastic actor who has worked all their life that finally gets the recognition they deserve on a standout ensemble show where they are the standout.
Vance was outstanding on Hamburger Hill

Caja 117

I've never heard of Courtney Vance before this, but I am loving his Cochran portrayal

Interesting that he used to play as a DA in Law and Order Criminal intent (Alongside Vicent Donorfio), he is also good there, guy has a talent for playing parts related to law it seems.

Had no idea the state purposely went for or was totally cool with a near all black jury. How stupid was this team? Was she on a ego trip?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Cuba just ain't doing it for me. I mean I'm somwhat enjoying the emotional side of his performance, but nothing is distinctly selling me on the "OJ" factor. I think Boris Kodjoe would've been a more convincing choice.

I just think they needed someone with a more dominating presence.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I really don't like Cuba as O.J. Can't get all the shitty D-grade films he has done to take him seriously. But hey, atleast they used two F-bombs in the episode.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can anyone explain the significance of the court officer signing the document in the the judge's chamber early on in the episode? I saw that she hesitated at Fuhrman's name. Please spoiler tag if necessary.

The spousal declaration exists to prevent bias from entering the justice's courtroom if there is a reason of any sort that exists between officers or professionals as witnesses on a case and a judges spouse that could interfere with a fair trial.

Clearly the wife made the choice to forego describing her prior tensions with fuhrman(which this document requires)as that would result in Ito likely being taken off the Simpson case. Knowing the highprofile of the case for her hubby, she chose to sign off that she doesn't know fuhrman or anyone else on the list. This obviously comes back into play later in the trial...

Curufinwe

This sounds exciting...

Was there a particular episode or scene that stands out for you when you were making this show?

The press has seen episodes one through six. We’re very proud of those. Episode nine — I remember that episode. You know what it’s like when you watch that second-to-last episode of “Game of Thrones” and you’re like, “Oh s–t!” I feel like our second-to-last episode is sort of like that powder-keg moment as well. I won’t say too much about it, but there are a couple of examples where Darden’s passion and his frustration with this whole process gets to him and he can’t help but let it out. I remember that very well, and I hope it came across well.

ezekial45

Banned
That was FANTASTIC. Holy shit, Vance as Cochran is incredibly intimidating. I feel horrible for Darden that he had to go through all that.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I think there are a lot of reasons why those leather gloves might have fit differently by the time he tried them on, but I'm not sure how torn lining makes gloves tighter. I can't follow that.

I can easily just grab my own leather gloves and splay out my fingers and do a pantomime struggle of trying to put them on, it's not that hard to make it seem like they don't fit. Everyone can easily jam their hands into gloves that are three sizes too small as well.

And the torn lining thing, if your glove has torn lining and it bunches up or twists in a finger, then you can't get your finger in.

Sober

Damn I need to read into this case some more. Watching this show makes it so difficult to separate what's fact from what feels like fiction but is probably still fact.

demolitio

I can easily just grab my own leather gloves and splay out my fingers and do a pantomime struggle of trying to put them on, it's not that hard to make it seem like they don't fit. Everyone can easily jam their hands into gloves that are three sizes too small as well.

And the torn lining thing, if your glove has torn lining and it bunches up or twists in a finger, then you can't get your finger in.

Also, didn't they say O.J. was on arthritis medication and stopped taking them during the case which made his arthritic hands swell up? That on top of the fact that the gloves were soaking in blood which possibly made them shrink as well as what you said about easily making a glove look like it doesn't fit. By far the biggest courtroom blunder in modern history.

I know I swell up when I stop taking my medication too.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Don't forget to wear latex gloves on underneath the leather gloves.

Rolling Stone has an ongoing article on "fact accuracy." Generally pretty good (Darden and the N-Word speech, Cochran's muttered words to Darden, OJ's House getting remodeled), and others were played up for TV (Hodgeman's courtroom heart attack, didn't happen in the courtroom, but hours later).

Fucking Mark Furman. Though odd that Pasquale is playing him, so very against type after him in Rescue Me.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That opening statement breakdown. Good TV, but a real stretch of the truth.

Oh god, this dinner party.

They redecorated OJ's house?!

Darden's in such a rough position. Just complete lose-lose for him.

Shit, did Fuhrman really have Nazi memorabilia?

Also, didn't they say O.J. was on arthritis medication and stopped taking them during the case which made his arthritic hands swell up? That on top of the fact that the gloves were soaking in blood which possibly made them shrink as well as what you said about easily making a glove look like it doesn't fit. By far the biggest court-room blunder in modern history.

I know I swell up when I stop taking my medication too.
Definitely, all of this.

I guess.

Not sure why they rate the house redecorating as 3/5 without saying how it's not entirely true.

That was FANTASTIC. Holy shit, Vance as Cochran is incredibly intimidating. I feel horrible for Darden that he had to go through all that.

It might as well be the "Johnnie Cochran Show" at this point.

Loved the cross-cutting between the two teams at the beginning and the character interactions. Still felt a little too "on the nose", but it's eminently watchable stuff.

Top Bottom