• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Dust Thread

sell some of your freaking skills.

Anyone up for playing right now? No one I know is on cept rick mears and he's playing timesplitters future perfect.

IJoel

I WANT CHEAP ARSENAL CASES!

Have you sold skills online? I did sell one rare skill for about 3000 points.

I wish this game had a setup for tournaments. A tournament of duels would r0x.

I will be online tonight. I shall have my revenge! :p

Sampled it quickly last night. It has a surprisingly high-quality single-player story presentation at least early on. For some reason I thought it might be more basic/stripped in favor of multiplayer production, or indeed in light of the $20 price. But, no, top-quality game here.

Can't wait to dig into it, though i already played the first batch of tutorial levels on the Japanese-language hidden demo on OXM back when, so some familiarity is there.

rastex

Banned
EB shipped mine out so hopefully I get it sooon! Then I'll see how you guys stack up, or how I stack up to you...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm gonna try to be online all day today. After tomorrow, I probably won't play as much cause of PSP

I played like 4 hours straight yesterday, game kicks ass. And stop picking on me Ijoel :lol

IJoel

Wario64 said:
I'm gonna try to be online all day today. After tomorrow, I probably won't play as much cause of PSP

I played like 4 hours straight yesterday, game kicks ass. And stop picking on me Ijoel :lol

:lol

Hey you started it! :p

I really don't pick on anyone actually. But the moment I realize I have an upper hand and the smell of BLOOD clouds my judgement, I'LL GO FOR THE KILL! This has resulted in unnecessary deaths at the hands of sword-evading-evil-MAF.

The rating is really punishing. Someone could hide in a corner during most of a fight, pick on the leftovers after a huge battle has occurred, and come with the upper hand. I've also been avoiding tag-team battles as people tend to switch teams at the very last second before a match starts, to get the obvious overwhelming advantage of 3 against 1 and thus gain ratings. There needs to be a patch that automatically forces 2 vs 2 and adds a mode of 3 vs 1 for the masochistic types. :p

I see myself spending obscene amounts of time with this game. Definitely the best buy of this year and so far, for me, GOTY.

Sysgen

It sucks getting the lower roadway spawn point on the highway and having the player at the spawn point directly above you get Bomb almost immeadiately. Happened more than once last night. The lower spawn points are a big disadvantage.

Hmmm, just realized how I can change my spawn point :D

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
After getting somewhat decently into the single player game and becoming a little more confident with my arsenal (the computer is my bitch), I think I might go online tonight.

People, add me to your friends list if you think of it...gamertag: Minotoro

SaitoH

Played the game for an hour and am quite pleased. I ordered a copy for myself, but it's on backorder and I have to wait a week, or so. Ah well ...

Anyway, damn cool game.

^w^

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm into the second chapter now and I'm pretty impressed. I'm not too great at it yet. But I'm starting to get the hang of using the skills and attacks together. The defense in this game is so sweet though.

BuddyC

Yea, there's no way I'm gonna be able to play online tonight. But tomorrow and Friday? Nothing but Phantom Dust.

Redbeard said:
Do you ever get arsenals that hold more than two schools?

In either chapter 5 or 6 I could finally buy a 3 school arsenal. It costs 10000 credits and it reduces your aura recovery rate by 30%.

demi

Just got my copy! Will play offline and possibly break my shy shell and join you folks online.

If I'm still active my tag is demifish

Sumidor

What Rare skill did you get Ijoel? I got my first one last night. Joke of Anubis.. PSH.. more like a Joke of a Skill. :/

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wow!! I just finished chapter 2 and got my arsenal. I'm made some changes and finished a couple of missions with it. So fun. I like my current arsenal WAY better than the random skills I was getting through the game up until now.

I also got in a couple games online with FMT tonight. Pretty sweet.

Is this the first game to let you use an offline character for online play? I can't recall one where you could do that before this. All games should be this way. ALL OF THEM!!

BuddyC

Truelize said:
Is this the first game to let you use an offline character for online play? I can't recall one where you could do that before this. All games should be this way. ALL OF THEM!!
Phantasy Star Online comes to mind. Of course, this method also allows for easy exploits and cheating...

Wulfer

I think I'm going to try online today.... I'm on chapter 2 and this one defense boss keeps whipping my tail.

gamertag = WULFER

novery

Does anybody have any rare skills that they want to sell for credits? I'll buy anything. 5000 credits per rare skill. Any takers?

gamertag: rp

What exactly would qualify for rare skills? I've an Octlaser that I don't use and it's rated as a 5-star skill. Is that rare?

Oh and I'll put my GamerTag in here while I see others doing it...

MightyHedgehog

SaitoH said:
Played the game for an hour and am quite pleased. I ordered a copy for myself, but it's on backorder and I have to wait a week, or so. Ah well ...

Anyway, damn cool game.

^w^

SaitoH, where the hell have you been?! I 'haven't heard form you in ages!! We DEFINATELY need to hook up and play some Phantom Dust. ;)

Redbeard

Banned
Truelize said:
Wow!! I just finished chapter 2 and got my arsenal. I'm made some changes and finished a couple of missions with it. So fun. I like my current arsenal WAY better than the random skills I was getting through the game up until now.

I also got in a couple games online with FMT tonight. Pretty sweet.

Another thing all games should do - insta-saving. It's so nice to be able to just hit start, select Live, the game saves itself and I'm off. Same with ending the game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Redbeard said:
Another thing all games should do - insta-saving. It's so nice to be able to just hit start, select Live, the game saves itself and I'm off. Same with ending the game.

Agreed. I love that.

IJoel

I'm sure MAF would love to pay you massive amounts for that super rare, incredibly powerful and useful OCTOLASER!

:p

I see myself playing more and more PD during the weekend. It's just too addictive and fun.

Oh, and here's a pic of my current stock:

pd-stock.jpg

The skill shown is the one I got after getting 30 wins online.

Redbeard

Banned
I got the Throttle Blaster for 30 wins, there's nothing special about it and it's not even as powerful as the regular Blaster. :/

Kuroyume

Banned
I finally picked up my copy... and that's all I have to say. I can't wait to play it again later. I was addicted to this before Halo 2 came along... or was it MGS3? Whatever... :)

novery

pdskills7ek.jpg

I don't know if I can manage another 200 hours of online play, but I'm hoping to score all 340 skills eventually. Here's a shot of my current stock list.

IJoel

novery said:
pdskills7ek.jpg

I don't know if I can manage another 200 hours of online play, but I'm hoping to score all 340 skills eventually. Here's a shot of my current stock list.

SHOWOFF!

:p

That's awesome. I can't wait to get all the skills just for collection/completeness' sake.

I have a question though. Do skills randomly become available for sale as you progress in the game, or is there a set order in which skills become available for sale as you progress?

Of course, this is completely dismissing buying junk, which is what I've done the most.

Top Bottom