• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Dust Thread

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Redbeard said:
Another thing all games should do - insta-saving. It's so nice to be able to just hit start, select Live, the game saves itself and I'm off. Same with ending the game.

Yeah I was pretty suprised that I could just accept an invite while playing offline and it saved my progress and just let me enter into a Live game. Very impressed with how they have handled Xbox Live with this game.

Ferny84

Banned
Argh, the store that I said was going to get it didn't get it at all.

Am cry.

I might have to skip it for now and buy SC: CT.

Hopefully some of yous guys will get that game.

demi

Does anyone still need this game? I can do a quick store run around town and see if I can swoop up a copy. It only took me like 5 minutes to get mine at the local EB...

BuddyC

Wow, cant believe I played online for almost four hours. Easily the most fun I've had online in years.

Sorry to decline your invites early in the night novery, I had just gotten everyone together for a game.

Man, frighten is a useful Anti-Levitate spell. Other than that it seems pretty annoying. No range restriction I could notice and you dont even need direct line of sight. Stuns, breaks people out of shield and knocks them out of levitation.

Also picked up pressure and lift up, so I can just throw people around like rag dolls ;)

I STILL LOSE HOWEVER!

Man, I sure got owned. Too much anti-melee detritus in my deck back from the Early Days of MAF 'N' Joel's Melee Madness. Cleaned it up nice with a load of Ki-based midranges and cheaper defenses.

Joel's swordplay is still bothersome but it can be overcome.

I tend to mix up psycho knives gets me 4 damage before knockdown. Or knife and blade.

IJoel

MrAngryFace said:
Joel's swordplay is still bothersome but it can be overcome.

I tend to mix up psycho knives gets me 4 damage before knockdown. Or knife and blade.

I really try to avoid it, so when you see me abuse it, it's because I was attacked first and really have nothing else. I don't like abusing just one move... I try to go for a couple of moves to spice it up. :D

So dammit, don't blame me! I deal with the current arsenal at my disposition! :p

cant really abuse a good move. If it works, use it. Ill crash entire bridges on you guys if I have to. Or ill just psycho knife ya to death. Or use frighten way too many times.

Its good we can play together often too. We're the perfect testing ground before we face the unnamed live gamers. I fear a lot of them will still wipe the floor with me.

IJoel

MrAngryFace said:
cant really abuse a good move. If it works, use it. Ill crash entire bridges on you guys if I have to. Or ill just psycho knife ya to death. Or use frighten way too many times.

Its good we can play together often too. We're the perfect testing ground before we face the unnamed live gamers. I fear a lot of them will still wipe the floor with me.

Oh yeah, it's really awesome, since we're pretty much at the same level in terms of how good we play, so hopefully we'll all progress and get better as we move forward.

This next weekend shall be PHANTOM DUST WEEKEND! :D

Not for me, well sunday I can. Working 11 hours saturday, only get one day off this week then work monday, 11 hours tuesday starting at 6am CRY. Oh well. I can continue playing these night sessions for sure tho

I'm absolutely terrible at this game. My rank is now in the 600s, I haven't won in 4 days. Any hot tips? :(

TheDuce22

Banned
Your bound to get at least one lucky win with Judge of Annubis. It can be a 1 hit kill depending on your health and your opponents. Just make a faith arsenal.

IJoel

BuddyC said:
Sorry to decline your invites early in the night novery, I had just gotten everyone together for a game.

Yes, my apologies as well. By the time I was invited, I was in a game with other gaffers. There was an open slot and I did invite you, though. I'm sure the opposite happened in that case.

I'll be playing more PD during the weekend, so feel free to invite me then.

just when i think i got out... IT PULLS ME BACK IN! I will be back rockin and rollin tonight and on the weekend (hopefully). Timesplitters and god of war are only a fad, but PD IS FO LYFE! PD FO LYFE!

demi

it was a good 2 wins the first time i got online while it lasted, then it was a 3v1 gangbang and went downhill from there

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I hit a serious wall in this game on the 1-player mode. I was winning most missions for the first chapters within the first or second try, and then I get to one of the "bottleneck" missions and I swear I died 40 times trying to pass it. It took a lot of deck tuning to pass it, but didn't help that my AI partner basically sat on his ass the whole time while I got double teamed.

Still, I love this game.

demi

Yeah the partner is really retarded, maybe I'm picking the wrong one...

Is there a list of what each partner does? Different skills, etc?

IJoel

demi said:
it was a good 2 wins the first time i got online while it lasted, then it was a 3v1 gangbang and went downhill from there

3v1? WTF are you talking about? You really aren't THAT GOOD for people to try to gang up on you. Not that I am either. :p

Dave Long

Banned
FYI, there are lots of this game at Wal-Mart. So if you're having trouble finding it, give your local smelly WM a try.

God that place stinks.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Dave Long said:
FYI, there are lots of this game at Wal-Mart. So if you're having trouble finding it, give your local smelly WM a try.

God that place stinks.

:lol

Good game, eh Brandon F? It's got it's claws in you too now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This really is fantastic stuff. Huge thanks to Musashi for teaching me the ropes online, and :lol to that punk Dufresne for abusing the goofy levitate.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
FrenchMovieTheme said:
caninus i got your invite, but by the time i got there you had left :(

ill play a few matches right now if anyone is around

I'll try to catch you on there tomorrow with some other gaffers. I suckee suckee, but I still love PD a long time.

Dave Long

Banned
Got my Arsenal tonight and bought a second one in the scenario game. I'll try to hook up with folks online this weekend/next week. I love this game.

BuddyC

I am constantly amazed by how fast time passes when we're playing Phantom Dust. Finally got around to buying some new skills after you guys left, here's hoping they prove useful. Should probably play more single-player, my 2/3 damage attacks aren't that effective when I'm getting hit with 6/7/8 points of damage from Drinky and IJoel.

Alex

What is Phantom Dust like? I'm considering nabbing it, but that means hauling my Xbox out. But damn if people aren't championing this game everywhere.

it's like magic the gathering only you dont feel as nerdy playing it

that's what i thought until i beat some dude and he said "WHOA WAS THAT A LEVEL 10 STRENGTH SWORD?? YOU BROKE THROUGH MY PLASMA BARRIER OF A LEVEL 5 DEFENSE!" and he was serious. i got the mental image of the guy on the left:

nerds.jpg

demi

i'm fighting the chapter 3 boss and these egg bombs are fuck annoying. can i use a regular shield to block this or should i use something like bullet of fire?

edit: bullet of fire seems to be working, as the other explosions take out all the other bombs

Fifty

FrenchMovieTheme said:
that's what i thought until i beat some dude and he said "WHOA WAS THAT A LEVEL 10 STRENGTH SWORD?? YOU BROKE THROUGH MY PLASMA BARRIER OF A LEVEL 5 DEFENSE!" and he was serious. i got the mental image of the guy on the left:

nerds.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

demi said:
i'm fighting the chapter 3 boss and these egg bombs are fuck annoying. can i use a regular shield to block this or should i use something like bullet of fire?

edit: bullet of fire seems to be working, as the other explosions take out all the other bombs

I made a custom deck (Ki and Optical, I think) with the following:

-one shelter-type defense (to minimize the damage from the burst of reflective lasers).

-three of those automatic defense skills (can't remember the name).

-one Snap (cheap and is easy to knock down those floating and homing egg bomb things).

-three Lasers (cheap and hits the boss' eye quickly).

-one double level skill (once you gain 10 levels use it to go to 20).

- three Dash skills (to put some distance between you and those homing bombs and to get away from those Big Bomb attacks).

- three Hyper Ki Lances to get ~6 hitpoints off in one shot each if you get it right.

- the rest were aura particles.

It worked on the second try with that for me. If you try and stay underneath the left flight of stairs facing the boss, you can generally hit hit it over and over quickly and then back up a bit to lock onto those bombs when the bays open up and destroy them before they get too close.

demi

Yeah I beat him, onto Chapter 4 now. I'm using a Psychic (that's the triangle with the eye right?) / Nature arsenal right now.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Have you guys checked out Phantom Dust's developer blog?

http://phantomdust.1up.com/

Yukio Futatsugi said:
With this, my fifth blog entry, I want to explain to you my favorite kinds of Phantom Dust skills. But first off, let me tell you about the prototype version of the game we had running in 2003. The prototype included: 13 attack, 3 defense, 10 erase, and an additional 6 other kinds of skills. Bomb and fireballs, Psycho Knifes and Psycho Swords, and lasers are attack skills that eventually made it into the retail version of the game. At that time we also included two Status type skills, as well as a pair of power-up skills.

and ...

So now on to my favorite kind of skills. It's actually the opposite of what I described above. I like to reset beefed-up opponents and then quickly down. An important tactic in playing to win is this: Instead of struggling to pull off your planned battle strategy, try disrupting your opponents. As for those opponents who love to power themselves up (like boosting their strength and speed), try using the skill called "Armaros" to reverse their attributes. Suddenly they ran very slowly and their attacks do little damage! This is the position you want to be in as you'll surely have an upper hand.

I'm gonna start playing the game this weekend. Having put in a ton of time into the Japanese version (but never able to play online), I dread the thought of having to redo all those single-player missions over again. Someone give me a good arsenal! :)

Che, what's yer gamertag?

I swear, Phantom Dust is the first competitive online game I'm actually addicted to. (Well, other than Kohan on the PC.)

I'd also like to add that Phantom Dust has one of the best online-friendly multiplayer setups EVER. It's so easy to find a friend's game and get started. PC games could take a few cues from XBL.

Top Bottom