• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Played a bunch of the PS4 version tonight and then a bunch of ToTAN on Steam and honestly even though I started the series on PS3 and the PS4 is a good upgrade, I like the Steam version the best and I'll double dip and pick up S1 on there (hopefully a slight sale starting tomorrow in the winter Steam sale?).

For some reason the game just feels better. Whether it's because there's some slight frame drops, or the lack of vibration feedback, or some minor lag when an HDTV is involved. I dunno. Just feels smoother and more enjoyable for me.

And visually I just really prefer the PC version because even though PS4 has 3 lighting modes...I don't really "love" any of them. They almost all do some good things and some bad things. Bright is great for seeing everything and being full of color, but it also seems too high contrast and over-saturated and it just looks kind of garish like those HDTVs in stores with everything maxed out. Normal is ok but the contrast and colors actually seem a little dull. I think the Steam version looks like a halfway between Normal & Bright. Basically just right. The "Dark" setting is really neat...on some tables. On a lot of the tables it's interesting but doesn't really add much like TOTAN or Elvira. But I really liked "Dark" on Black Hole. So basically on the tables where Dark mode is great I prefer how the PS4 version looks, but on tables where it doesn't and I'm going to play in the daylight, I prefer how the Steam version looks over the Normal & Bright modes (this is with post-processing disabled on Steam because that just makes it looks worse like the Bright mode on PS4; but I've only tried ToTAN on Steam so maybe some tables look good with PC post-processing like how some look good Dark)

And then there's the sound issue.

But I'm kind of glad I bought S1 on PS4 even if I buy it again on PC this sale and use PC as the main. That way I can enjoy the Dark tables and see how the PS4 version grows and improves over patches and if it ever becomes a version I'll prefer to main. Same with the PC version patches and things like if the PC version gets the Dark mode settings patched in later.

And then, one of the biggest draws, is going to be if either version gets a friends filter on their leadboards, because for me, the biggest draw of continually playing the tables after getting the standard and wizard goals is to beat my friends' best scores and move up my friend leaderboard. But since I can't do that and either PC nor PS4 right now I'm a little ticked off :mad: I know I can register on their site and do something, but since none of my friends are doing that too...there's not much point.

Anyhow, having only following the game through Table Pack 4, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of new tables in Season 1. Add in Season 2 and I'm set for a loooong while with Pinball! By then Season 3 and 4 might be finished :)

Thanks, will look into it.

If I still had a rotatable monitor, and the game had a Tate mode that could have a static camera showing the whole table with the dot matrix display striped across the top, I'd definitely go for that version. Or even better for big fans, dual monitor support - table in Tate mode, then the back panel on a second monitor.

Artorias

Banned
Sorry if this has been covered, but does anyone know what exactly is on the Pinball Arcade PS4 disc? Is it just the core tables+season 1? Seems likely but I want to make sure as I'd rather buy full seasons, otherwise I know i'll end up leaving a few behind.

Also, does anyone know yet if saves will work across digital and disc, In case I feel like launching the digital game to play just DLC tables?

It's on Amazon (US) for $34.99 btw.

Dead quiet from SCEE and Farsight regarding people not being able to buy season 1 bundle...
No surprise really. No money from me until they sort it. I've already accepted that it's situation that might never change.

They still haven't supplied me my Kickstartered Vita Star Trek that I've been asking them for nearly a year. They've even told me on multiple occasions they are about to sort it and then - nothing.

They might be the only people bringing these old tables back to life, but they sure as hell have zero respect for the people paying them money.

Raven77

Sorry if this has been covered, but does anyone know what exactly is on the Pinball Arcade PS4 disc? Is it just the core tables+season 1? Seems likely but I want to make sure as I'd rather buy full seasons, otherwise I know i'll end up leaving a few behind...

Curious about this as well.

Bebpo

Banned
I heard less than 20.

if it was 20 people just making the monthly tables and running the company, that'd be more than enough.

But 20 people making like 4-5 versions of each table across platforms and stores AND working on bug fixes for past tables across 4-5 versions and Q&A across all the versions and business contracting licenses for tables, and answering e-mails & Facebook and forum support + website...yeah, sounds short staffed, or biting off more than they can chew. Are the sales really not good enough that they have to nickel & dime, rarely put anything on sale, and can't hire more staff even with the kickstarters for licensed tables?

That's sort of depressing. I mean the pinball enthusiast market is pretty small, but you think through the videogame/leaderboard market it could expand. Reminds me of the shmup market honestly.

Ugh this should have used the triggers on PS4... I already fucked up the r1 button on one of my controllers playing this game lol. Now it keeps getting stuck down when playing.

Bebpo

Banned
This is scary how many people are fucking up their R1 button (including myself) I guess this is the first ps4 game with a lot of R1 tapping that's exposing a controller flaw. Yikes :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Sorry if this has been covered, but does anyone know what exactly is on the Pinball Arcade PS4 disc? Is it just the core tables+season 1? Seems likely but I want to make sure as I'd rather buy full seasons, otherwise I know i'll end up leaving a few behind.

Also, does anyone know yet if saves will work across digital and disc, In case I feel like launching the digital game to play just DLC tables?

It's on Amazon (US) for $34.99 btw.

Disc version just has the regular Season 1 Pack that is being sold on PSN for $30 (Season 1 pack includes the core tables fyi - so the first 22 tables from the OP).

Seeing how the game essentially gets patched monthly, I don't see too much logic in buying the disc over just getting it digitally.

This is scary how many people are fucking up their R1 button (including myself) I guess this is the first ps4 game with a lot of R1 tapping that's exposing a controller flaw. Yikes :(

Doesn't inspire great confidence in the controller build quality, lol.

It's the sword button in Warframe. So mine got messed up already. Search Gaf for the thread on it and do the fix on the button by removing it, cleaning and oiling it. It was really easy and my button has been fine again for over a week now.

It's a pain but fixable.

Artorias

Banned
Disc version just has the regular Season 1 Pack that is being sold on PSN for $30 (Season 1 pack includes the core tables fyi - so the first 22 tables from the OP).

Seeing how the game essentially gets patched monthly, I don't see too much logic in buying the disc over just getting it digitally.

Thanks for the answer! As long as they patch both versions, I'm not too worried. I know some people have a problem getting up to switch discs but it's not an issue for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Better to fail now while under warranty than in a years time I guess.

I think it's just this game and the way we mash that button. Is it happening for folks L1's as well though or is this a common issue showing up for only the R1?

Shaneus

No surprise really. No money from me until they sort it. I've already accepted that it's situation that might never change.

They still haven't supplied me my Kickstartered Vita Star Trek that I've been asking them for nearly a year. They've even told me on multiple occasions they are about to sort it and then - nothing.

They might be the only people bringing these old tables back to life, but they sure as hell have zero respect for the people paying them money.
How long has it been since you last emailed them? Around 6 months ago (possibly longer) they brought on a dedicated support person who monitors their support email address.

Nudull

Banned
Bought the base game on PS3/Vita earlier. Theatre of Magic and Ripley's Believe It or Not are surprisingly addictive, and the controls work fine enough on the Vita so far. I'll see how the PS3 version fares later.

How long has it been since you last emailed them? Around 6 months ago (possibly longer) they brought on a dedicated support person who monitors their support email address.
Last try was about a month ago. I was asked to supply my email address and they would get back to me that week. Did they? Nope.

I downloaded the PS4 version after it released the other day, and I've been incredibly surprised by how much I'm enjoying this. Thank god Tales of the Arabian Nights is the free one. Love the flow and all of the objectives in the table. As someone that really enjoys score chasing types of games, it's been scratching those itches while not much is available on the console right now.

I tried out all of the Season 1 table trials, but none of them met that same level of fun that I get from Arabian Nights. I did buy a few that a few packs with ones that I felt were close enough like Circus Voltaire, Fun House, and Twilight Zone. The Ripley's Believe It or Not pack had some good ones too, so I might get that sometime later.

But yeah, I'm having a good time. Shame about all of the Farsight stuff because I can totally see the appeal of this. I was even thinking about coming in to share some PSN names, but the lack of a friend leaderboard on PS4 (and PC apparently) kills that for me at the moment. Hopefully, that'll be patched in soon!

Minsc

Gold Member
Especially since the other Steam pinball game is 50% or 75% off.
Farsight no baka.

Non-sale items can become daily deals though, and to be fair, TPA on Steam just released like 1 month ago while PFX2 has been around for what feels like more than a year, so it's a bit fast for a sale, they risk upsetting all the people who bought it at full price a few weeks prior. Also, Season 2's price dropped $10 sometime in the last few weeks, so there's your sale, if you must. :)

Also I think with F2P games, while a sale helps, it's not exactly the bar to entry it is on a $60 retail game. Any new fan can download TPA for free, sale or no sale, and proceed to play the game for hours and hours without spending anything (you even have access to all the tables for free too iirc, just for limited time).

Knurek

Non-sale items can become daily deals though, and to be fair, TPA on Steam just released like 1 month ago while PFX2 has been around for what feels like more than a year, so it's a bit fast for a sale, they risk upsetting all the people who bought it at full price a few weeks prior.

Sure, but there's Assetto Corsa (released 4 days after TPA), 25% off and featured prominently on front page, and Metal Gear (release in next two weeks), 33% off and featured prominently on front page.

Guess what, Metal Gear is currently #2 best selling game on Steam, Assetto Corsa has also sold oodles.
To reiterate: Farsight no baka.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but there's Assetto Corsa (released 4 days after TPA), 25% off and featured prominently on front page, and Metal Gear (release in next two weeks), 33% off and featured prominently on front page.

Guess what, Metal Gear is currently #2 best selling game on Steam, Assetto Corsa has also sold oodles.
To reiterate: Farsight no baka.

+1

Totally a missed opportunity there. BTW any idea when the PC update is coming?

Minsc

Gold Member
+1

Totally a missed opportunity there. BTW any idea when the PC update is coming?

Which update? We just had an update with a bunch of fixes I posted on the prior page (portrait camera fixes) as well as adding Season 3 tables... speaking of which, I finally added the Fish Tales banner to the OP:

AYBAdu8.png
0S4Po5o.jpg

It should hit all the other early platforms today (iOS / Android / etc), so I'll leave them all lit up for the time being.

Rocky

Banned
Trying to decide which Playstation version to buy for this. Is there any crossbuy with Vita for either PS3 or PS4 versions? If I bought the PS3 version, is there any upgrade pricing for the PS4 version?

I'm kinda leaning toward the PS4 version, since I can still play it on my Vita with Remote Play. That is supported in the game, right?

EDIT: Just checked the store and see that the base PS4 version is free and PS3 and Vita are CrossBuy. Think I'll get all 3 then hehe.

Shaneus

A while back they posted (a dev) on PAF the game only uses a single core, though that may have changed with the PS4 version, so that it is using a single core is not odd.

Try switching around the options (there's texture filtering/AA/post-processiong/resolution) to see if anything has an effect on it. If nothing does, then I'd suspect GPU drivers. Runs at minimal CPU usage for me with not an ounce of judder/slowdown.
Looks like it was a driver issue. I read somewhere about newer Catalyst (AMD/ATI) drivers being screwy with vsync, so I wound back to 13.10 beta v2 and it now runs flawlessly. Woo!

Oh wow I remember playing that at an arcade in Detroit when I was little.
So jelly. Apparently they made only 90 of them!

vg260

Post-processing is still messed up for me on the PC with an nvidia card. Only seems to happen at 720p though (window or full).

Benedict

Still no word regarding people not being able to buy Season 1 bundle for PS4 in EU PSN store.

Farsight is having a competition where you'll get free table packs after retweeting or like& share on facebook one of their posts. Lucky me won! So I got the first four tables on PC. Plays great on PC.

During this I asked about the problem regarding EU PSN but they didn't even respond to my question regarding this. Even though it was during the DM conversation on Twitter regarding the competition.
At least they follow me on twitter :)

Trying to contact SCEE and Farsight for several days now through Twitter and Facebook, but no response. At the EU blog, Chris Howe said yesterday he would investigate the problem, but after that nothing.

Also, Season 2's price dropped $10 sometime in the last few weeks, so there's your sale, if you must. :)

Also I think with F2P games, while a sale helps, it's not exactly the bar to entry it is on a $60 retail game. Any new fan can download TPA for free, sale or no sale, and proceed to play the game for hours and hours without spending anything (you even have access to all the tables for free too iirc, just for limited time).

It's not about people in this thread needing a sale. We are pinball lunatics in here. What the sale does is draw attention to the game by providing advertising related to the fact that it's on sale.
Like you said though, maybe it could still show up as a daily deal.

Minsc

Gold Member
Still no word regarding people not being able to buy Season 1 bundle for PS4 in EU PSN store.

I saw something posted on PAF forums that they are aware of the problem and expect it to be fixed with Sony in a days. Assuming you're talking about the discounted bundle, if you're just talking about buying the game in general, then I'm confused lol.

Is it possible to gift Pinball Arcade Season bundles on Steam?

Price is 60% cheaper in certain countries.

Since they're normal items sold through the store front, it should definitely be possible (as it is with any other storefront purchase right?), but I have no idea if the new region restrictions showing up in Steam would prevent it from passing over regions.

Gigarator

I tried out all of the Season 1 table trials, but none of them met that same level of fun that I get from Arabian Nights. I did buy a few that a few packs with ones that I felt were close enough like Circus Voltaire, Fun House, and Twilight Zone. The Ripley's Believe It or Not pack had some good ones too, so I might get that sometime later.

Have you tried Medieval Madness? It's very similar to TOTAN in that it has tons of goals to go after and also has added humour as a bonus. It's my go-to table when I want to just sit down and play some pinball.

Bebpo

Banned
I kind of hate how the game looks and plays differently on like EVERY PLATFORM lol

Just for kicks after playing a bunch of the PS4 and PC version, I went back and played the PS3 version and I swear the physics/gameplay felt slightly different even. Plus I like how on Black Hole you can't see the lower table, it's just pitch dark until you get into it and then it lights up. None of the visual modes on PS4 do that. Also PS3 has friends leaderboards while the other two don't.

Arghhh, makes it so hard to choose where to play each table! I don't get how these tables are so different across platforms. It should be the same damn game!

I kind of hate how the game looks and plays differently on like EVERY PLATFORM lol

Nearly every platform version of a table has different physics and differnet glitches, making the game significantly easier on some platforms than others. Yet Farsight intentionally disabled Steam leaderboards so they could implement their universal cross-platform leaderboard instead. Farsight has some real geniuses working there.

Like I love comparing scores and competing with friends and even complete strangers on the platform I'm playing on, but I have absolutely zero interest in seeing how my PS3 Attack from Mars score compares to someone playing it with different physics and touchscreen controls on an ipad. Especially when the Android and iOS versions have hacks that let people upload fake scores to the leaderboard that then show up on every platform. There isn't even an option to see scores for only your platform.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Farsight just needs to be a single team working on tables alone, working within a larger team. Social integration, UI, etc. all should ideally be handled by someone else. All these issues people bring up with UI and leaderboards have been around for years and years and the only big step they took was revamping the UI entirely...to an even more horrible UI.

I think they do such a good job on tables though that I will keep buying their stuff. I mean to me playing stuff like Zen is an absolute joke. I can't stomach their cheesy tables and physics for more than ten minutes. But really wish Farsight would do something about the issues that have been around for so long. Just copying the leaderboards from Geometry Wars would be an amazing start. Friend leaderboards should absolutely be the centerpiece of the presentation.

bulldoze farsight headquarters to the ground, destroy all source code, blacklist all farsight employees from the videogame and software industries for life, let a competent company try again in a few years

edit: or what astrolad said

Like I love comparing scores and competing with friends and even complete strangers on the platform I'm playing on, but I have absolutely zero interest in seeing how my PS3 Attack from Mars score compares to someone playing it with different physics and touchscreen controls on an ipad. Especially when the Android and iOS versions have hacks that let people upload fake scores to the leaderboard that then show up on every platform. There isn't even an option to see scores for only your platform.

Yeah most of the top PSN scores are on Mobile (Vita). They should be separate. :-(

Well, I already own it. Not much else I can do after the warranty expires.

True, I'm just thinking out loud. PA would be a major reason for me to get a PS4 if it ends up turning into a good version after some patches, but if the gamepad doesn't even work well with the game, I can wait.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
True, I'm just thinking out loud. PA would be a major reason for me to get a PS4 if it ends up turning into a good version after some patches, but if the gamepad doesn't even work well with the game, I can wait.

Maybe I've missed some of the discussion here but gamepad works great for me. Feels just like when I used to play on 360. Which is to say I'm getting way better scores than on iPad. (Yes part of this is the cheap analog-stick nudge.)

liger05

Downloaded but not likeing what I'm reading about the R1/L1 issues. I'm not burning them out and then having to mod myself.

Maybe I've missed some of the discussion here but gamepad works great for me. Feels just like when I used to play on 360. Which is to say I'm getting way better scores than on iPad. (Yes part of this is the cheap analog-stick nudge.)

L1/R1 buttons are getting stuck for some people. The problem's on Sony's end, not Farsight's, but it's not something I want to deal with when those are the flipper buttons.

Top Bottom