• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

emgeejay

Whoever set Harem multiball as a Standard goal on TotAN. should be slapped. 70 million point game, rescued the princes, hmm, why didn't I get a Wizard goal pop-up, oh, because I haven't done the stupid Harem multiball, which is super annoying to get as the lane is 90% of the time being used for some other function. And oh, none of your feats carry over, so rescuing the princess didn't count...

Easiest way to get Harem Multiball is to trigger the "Sinbad and the Rocs" tale and then start spamming the left lane. You'll bounce off the pop bumpers and into the Harem Sneak-In more often than not. (Don't collect any jewels when you hit "Make a Wish," and don't go up the center ramp once you've started the tale.)

Shaneus

Yup I'm in the exact same situation at the moment on PS4. Harem multiball is really not an easy challenge.
Really? I thought it was easy... unless I'm getting things confused. I thought you could just park the ball until the tiger loop flasher stops, changing to harem.

Easiest way to get Harem Multiball is to trigger the "Sinbad and the Rocs" tale and then start spamming the left lane. You'll bounce off the pop bumpers and into the Harem Sneak-In more often than not. (Don't collect any jewels when you hit "Make a Wish," and don't go up the center ramp once you've started the tale.)

Oh I did it last night after that game, was still annoyed about it this morning. I need to rescue the princess again and I'll have the Wizard goals done.

Shaneus

Bet it's not as bad as the super jets goal in AfM before they fixed the bumpers. Holy shit that was the most difficult goal I've ever had to get.

Minsc

Gold Member
Really? I thought it was easy... unless I'm getting things confused. I thought you could just park the ball until the tiger loop flasher stops, changing to harem.

There's a thread about it on the PAF forums, that specific standard goal. Consensus is it's the hardest standard goal in the entire game... mainly because you need to know how to play it (either stall for the light to turn off, or trigger the game mode where the tiger ramp never activates until you get it), otherwise it's nearly impossible to time the shot right. It's even pretty hard on a normal table as well, but people say not as hard as in TPA.

Brashnir

There's a thread about it on the PAF forums, that specific standard goal. Consensus is it's the hardest standard goal in the entire game... mainly because you need to know how to play it (either stall for the light to turn off, or trigger the game mode where the tiger ramp never activates until you get it), otherwise it's nearly impossible to time the shot right. It's even pretty hard on a normal table as well, but people say not as hard as in TPA.

The funny thing is, people complained about it being too hard in PHOF:TWC, but they just carried it right over to TPA unaltered anyway.

Shaneus

I might have it confused then. I often do that ;)

Today's FS "day of Christmas" is them announcing the other game they're working on... an F2P somethingorother called Orbals.

banjo5150

I thought season pack 1 wasbgoing to be 20% off for plus members for 2 weeks. I swear that discount was in the store the other day. I go to buy it just now and I only see it for $29.99. Anyone notice this?

I might have it confused then. I often do that ;)

Today's FS "day of Christmas" is them announcing the other game they're working on... an F2P somethingorother called Orbals.

You're right about parking the ball, but making that shot from a parked ball is tough compared to making it when the ball is coming down the side lane. I've never had the patience to do it on any version. I might have a go on the PS4 version though. I've rescued there princess dozens of times. I've never hit harem enough time for the multiball! It's probably my most played table since it's the default free one and it was part of the original four.

I played some of the PS4 version with remote play yesterday. Mainly for a laugh, since my PS4 is in Massachusetts and I'm in the UK right now. I was amazed that I actually did passably.

You're right about parking the ball, but making that shot from a parked ball is tough compared to making it when the ball is coming down the side lane. I've never had the patience to do it on any version. I might have a go on the PS4 version though. I've rescued there princess dozens of times. I've never hit harem enough time for the multiball! It's probably my most played table since it's the default free one and it was part of the original four.

That's really the issue, it's just not something you are going to do by playing the table, you need to specifically set out to do that goal, which is why it should be a Wizard and not Standard goal. You can pretty much get every other goal, including rescuing the princess, simply by having a good game.

OrangeOak

For me left lane on Arabian Nights is hardest shot on a whole table.I have all goals but this one I made just by playing the table.
Any tips on how to do it?
I know it may be impossible to teach but there is a lot of points in Harem Multiball and I would love to be able to hit it when I want.

Shaneus

I have a feeling that shot, even when available, is a LOT harder to make than an IRL table. For some reason that shot is far tighter than any of the others on TotAN. It's the combination of not knowing when it's open *along with* it being quite hard.

If there's any discount for S1 on PS4 available, can they post it here? I don't have a PS4 yet (it is literally impossible to buy one in Australia) but I know I can still buy stuff via the SEN web store.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Apparently I really like pinball, had no idea until last night at 2AM. I always kind of thought it was just a bunch of random noises and lights and never really had a plan other than hit the ball when it comes close to your ball hitter. Now I have a sticky R1 button and all of the goals but saving the princess on Arabian Nights (harem multiball was a complete accident - I certainly wasn't trying to do it). Like the previous posters, I still can't figure out the left lane, or for that matter any consistent shot for either of the red stand up targets, I think that's all that's standing in my way of the princess. One other question - is the final genie fight supposed to be multiball? The one time I did it I had just the one ball at a time, although I didn't think to try launching more with a ball in play. I thought I saw somewhere that it was...

Ocaso

I thought season pack 1 wasbgoing to be 20% off for plus members for 2 weeks. I swear that discount was in the store the other day. I go to buy it just now and I only see it for $29.99. Anyone notice this?

It was 10% off, and it was only up for a few hours at most. It appears to have been listed and posted by mistake, as either Sony or Farsight didn't want it to stay up.

Apparently I really like pinball, had no idea until last night at 2AM. I always kind of thought it was just a bunch of random noises and lights and never really had a plan other than hit the ball when it comes close to your ball hitter. Now I have a sticky R1 button and all of the goals but saving the princess on Arabian Nights (harem multiball was a complete accident - I certainly wasn't trying to do it). Like the previous posters, I still can't figure out the left lane, or for that matter any consistent shot for either of the red stand up targets, I think that's all that's standing in my way of the princess. One other question - is the final genie fight supposed to be multiball? The one time I did it I had just the one ball at a time, although I didn't think to try launching more with a ball in play. I thought I saw somewhere that it was...

I'm a recent pinball convert too. High five!

Biker19

Banned
Now that the PS4 version is officially out, how does it play?

Ugh, this is going to get expensive very quickly -- looking at dropping $15 for PS4 (50% off due to PS3/PSV season one owner), probably going to re-up for $30 for PS3/PSV season three (yeah, the PSV version is meh but it's so nice to have portable), and I'm this close to biting on the PC version.

How the hell does the retail disc not contain pro?

I agree with both of you. Speaking of retail discs, there should be one for PS4 that includes all of the featured pinball games (all four seasons).

OrangeOak

I started my adventure with pinball with pinball arcade too,so welcome to the club.
Never knew that I will like it so much and that there is so much tactic in this game.
As for your question if I understand correctly,yes it's multiball with 4 balls.You have to launch balls manualy.

Shaneus

Apparently I really like pinball, had no idea until last night at 2AM. I always kind of thought it was just a bunch of random noises and lights and never really had a plan other than hit the ball when it comes close to your ball hitter.
It's a great feeling when you transition from pinball being just a "hit it wherever" game to one with actual strategy and skill. Welcome to the club!

Minsc

Gold Member
I agree with both of you. Speaking of retail discs, there should be one for PS4 that includes all of the featured pinball games (all three seasons).

Season 2 won't be out for another few months on PS4, and season three obviously won't be completed for another 10 months. By the time both seasons are done, if they make a disc for $60 for all three seasons, it'll still be incomplete, because it won't have season four.

Now that the PS4 version is officially out, how does it play?

I agree with both of you. Speaking of retail discs, there should be one for PS4 that includes all of the featured pinball games (all four seasons).

I love the PS4 version. The lighting makes a huge difference to me. Also the deeper set of sound samples is neat. The ball reflection is nice. Once they fix the audio issue it'll be perfect. Right now it's the best version (despite having so few tables) but once the PC gets the PS4 upgrades it'll be back on top (as it has portrait mode, will have cabinet support, and has infinite achievement capability).

As for retail discs, I'd welcome a $40 retail disc for each season (though I'd prefer it to accumulate each previous season if possible, for a slight bump-up in price). I just want to be sure and have a physical disc with all of the tables when the (very sad) day comes when FarSight is done with TPA.

It's a great feeling when you transition from pinball being just a "hit it wherever" game to one with actual strategy and skill. Welcome to the club!

Yeah, there was this "Aha!" moment for me. Oddly enough it occurred on Big Shot for me -- probably because it has such an incredibly simple (but challenging) rule set. TotAN was the second table that clicked (and remains my favorite, a big part is due to the theme).

Axiom

I understood that your old PSN tables don't transfer over to the PS4, but I still figured if you got them on PS4 they'd be crossbuy.

Having the same home and travel collection was really great and the lack of it really takes away a lot of my enthusiasm.

Like a few others here, I'm a recent pinball convert; never really had any interest in it growing up but watching CGR has gotten me interested over time. Tried out Pinball FX2 first because it came out on Steam first and had Marvel tables, so it seemed like a good intro for me and I did have an enjoyable time with it. Once PBA hit Steam I gave that a shot and while not having any attachment to any real tables I found it instantly more appealing; just from the flow of Arabian Nights and the others I've tried out, as well as the physics and sounds feeling much better. Gonna pick up season one sometime soon.

And yes, Harem Multiball can suck my ass.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
New PSN store on PS4 is truly horrible and is probably screwing over a bunch of devs.
I would have NEVER found TPA's "demo" with TOTAN if I wasn't 100% sure beforehand that it was there.
My brother was like "holy shit, awesome!" and then proceeded to buy the whole 1st season.... That would have never happened if not for me tipping him about the free table/demo.
Never mind the fact that you can't even fucking pause downloads... that's bonkers.

Shaneus

I understood that your old PSN tables don't transfer over to the PS4, but I still figured if you got them on PS4 they'd be crossbuy.

Having the same home and travel collection was really great and the lack of it really takes away a lot of my enthusiasm.
Didn't know you were into TPA, Axi! Hi!

Yeah, there was this "Aha!" moment for me. Oddly enough it occurred on Big Shot for me -- probably because it has such an incredibly simple (but challenging) rule set. TotAN was the second table that clicked (and remains my favorite, a big part is due to the theme).
I find that funny... I never figured EMs to have any kind of ruleset at all. TBH I can't remember when I realised about rulesets and such, but it was quite recent (relatively speaking). Maybe only a year or two ago.
But despite that, I still prefer games that have far shallower rulesets. I still love High Speed as a level of depth, as you can essentially complete the main mode within a ball and know what you did to get there. I find Metallica to be shallower, but that's only because the software is unfinished (stupid Stern).

Like a few others here, I'm a recent pinball convert; never really had any interest in it growing up but watching CGR has gotten me interested over time.
CGR is *amazing*. It's sold me on a number of tables I literally would not have otherwise thought of (like TX Sector).

I find that funny... I never figured EMs to have any kind of ruleset at all. TBH I can't remember when I realised about rulesets and such, but it was quite recent (relatively speaking). Maybe only a year or two ago.
But despite that, I still prefer games that have far shallower rulesets. I still love High Speed as a level of depth, as you can essentially complete the main mode within a ball and know what you did to get there. I find Metallica to be shallower, but that's only because the software is unfinished (stupid Stern).

Maybe "rule set" is a bit generous for Big Shot. By that I meant understanding the importance of the fourth and fifth ball for high scores (which is an annoying feature -- particularly since state does not persist between balls) and the importance of lighting the eight through the sink hole (what is that called) rather than the lane up top to open the save gate. I just found I really enjoyed lighting all the balls.

Bebpo

Banned
Wierd, just hit the ball out of the machine in Black Knight. Does that happen on all tables?

Also, fuck Black Knight. That table is so bullshit with how the center lane basically dumps right into the middle drain so half the time your 3 ball multi-ball will drop out straight through the center upon release. I don't think I'm ever going to want to attempt that Wizard Goal of 2.5 million. That's just asking for throwing controllers and breaking things.

I think the worst and best part of Pinball Arcade is going back through all the tables again each time you re-buy it on a new platform and both enjoying getting the easy standard goals again and also getting annoyed by the annoying standard goals again.

Shaneus

So, PS4 version of TPA. Impressions:
* Holy shitballs the lighting. Tried TotAN (meh), STTNG (damn!), Taxi (woo!) and Gorgar (awright). Funhouse looked a little overblown, I think due to the baked lighting from PHoF days (which made it look good on the lower platforms but not quite as good as the other tables in this version).
* Mobile SFX. Lolz.
* Price. $44AUD for the basic first season in the Australian PSN store. After I've just dropped $30 for S3 on iOS, ~$120 on seasons 1-3 on PC I need that price like a hole in the head. How much is it in the US? Either way, price conversion seems WAY off. Will be playing trial tables until the pricing is looked at.
* Physics feel a little more unpredictable and "alive" in this version than any of the others. Shots are generally harder to hit and there's definitely a bit more life to the ball. Whether that means there's spin in on it or not, I dunno. But it feels like the best version of them all (despite there being the slightest tinge of lag compared to the PC one, but I'll investigate why and report back).

But $44 for the basic pack. No way.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's the regular $30 pricing for season 1 on PS4. Nice to hear the positive impressions, something to look forward to when they upgrade the PC version.

Shaneus

That's what I feared. I double-checked, and S1 on iOS is $32AU and $30US on PC. No way that pricing is right for PS4.

As such, giving it a wide berth until it's fixed. Shame, because it does play really, really well (and looks freaking gorgeous).

Other important thing to note: The colours are a LOT more natural on the PS4 version than any other. Whites are whites (and not yellow or pink a la AfM and STTNG) and tables don't really have a particular hue to them. Never realised how out of whack the PC tables are!

Shaneus

Okay. So it turns out that it's not just the PS4 release that Australians have been getting bent over for. Turns out all the season packs are 50% more expensive than in the US, with all regular season packs at $44AU and pro packs at $58. Guess I'm not buying *anything* for the PS4 then!

pelican

GAF

Question - Zen Pinball or Pinball Arcade for my PS4?

I have fond memories of playing Pinball as a kid, but I'm no expert on it so I'm not really in a position to judge which one is worth investing some cash in.

thx.

Benedict

GAF

I have fond memories of playing Pinball as a kid, but I'm no expert on it so I'm not really in a position to judge which one is worth investing some cash in.

thx.

Two different kinds of Pinball.
But you will get "more" for your money with Zen.

With Zen Pinball you get versions for PS3/Vita and PS4.
With PA you only get the PS4-version of the tables.

Minsc

Gold Member
GAF

thx.

My answer is always both (wait for sales if need be)... they're really different games that offer different things despite being both pinball. And they're both free to start your collection with iirc (TPA is anyway), so you are the best one to judge which to spend money on.

You're free to buy incrementally if you're unsure of how much a commitment is worthwhile, if you buy a single table pack and don't find yourself enjoying it, then do the same for the other game, you're not really out much. But I think they're both free to try on all the tables, so you don't have to do anything too blindly.

Generally speaking, Zen lets you play tables for hours being more a game, and TPA less so being more a simulation of real tables. Not to say a good player couldn't sit on a single ball in TPA for hours, but that's generally less the case. Zen's tables are a lot flashier too and sometimes offer neat gameplay elements that could never happen on a real table, so there's that as well.

meppi

GAF

thx.

I have PA on iOS, PS3, Vita and PS4 and Zen on XBLA, PS3, Vita, 3DS and iOS as well.
I personally prefer Pinball Arcade by a long shot. Zen pinball is fun enough, but overall just doesn't have the same flow as real tables do. In many cases the tables are just way too easy and rather plain.

The physics model also isn't really the best. Not that it tried to be anywhere near realistic, but still. It feels more like you're playing with rubber balls instead of steel ones.

Thanks to Pinball Arcade's tables being modeled of real pinball tables, the variety is also much much better and has someone for everyone.

So if you only want to pick up one package to grab some tables from, I'd certainly go with Pinball Arcade.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
GAF

thx.

I've tried so many times to get into Zen, but to little avail. There's something about the table layouts and the physics that just don't gel well together. I've found the whole affair to be on the clunky side.

JP

GAF

thx.
You'll likely get the same answer for most people. It's not as simple as one is better than the other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses and ideally you'd go for both. I've said it before but somewhere between the two is probably the perfect pinball game. I know it's not exactly a helpful answer but that's how I feel.

Jedi2016

Two different kinds of Pinball.
How do you mean? Is it what he says? -

Generally speaking, Zen lets you play tables for hours being more a game, and TPA less so being more a simulation of real tables... Zen's tables are a lot flashier too and sometimes offer neat gameplay elements that could never happen on a real table, so there's that as well.
I played Zen on PS3, especially with the free tables for PS+, and it was fun, for sure. I definitely saw the things that could only exist in a game, like the TIE fighters actually shooting lasers and such.

But I played TPA on PS4 the other day, and it felt more... I dunno.. "meaty". It felt a lot more like I was playing actual pinball, and felt more satisfying in that regard. Maybe harder, yes, but I never was very good at pinball anyway (but I always enjoyed it, it's weird).

I think the jump in graphics helps with that. The PS4 version is lit up like... well, like a pinball table, and it really feels alive. I can't tell if Zen is getting the same treatment, but from the video I saw, it didn't really look like it.

But anyway... TPA, Season 1, $30US? Worth it? I'd like to have more selection in tables, but the cost of individual tables (packs) is pretty steep, seems a lot better deal to just buy them all.

Minsc

Gold Member
I still think $30 for 22 tables is an incredible deal (about $1 each), and when season two is out for PS4 there'll be around 40 pinball tables to choose from for the price of a normal retail game, that certainly is a pretty great value proposition, and should let you feel like there is more selection to the game. To me, having access to all 40+ tables really makes it feel like a large collection, and it still has a bit (or hopefully lot) steam left to it, maybe they'll make it to around 100 or so.

Zen Pinball 2 / Pinball FX2 won't be getting any graphical redos until ZP3/PFX3, which is a really far ways away iirc... like 2015 or so.

Vyse24

Finally, FINALLY, FINALLY got the Join the Cirqus goal. Didn't think I'd do it after I was down to 1 ball at the start of the Unmask Voltaire segment, but everything clicked and somehow finished it.

Now if only I can complete Battle for the Kingdom...

Bebpo

Banned
I hate Zen because the games go on forever and it gets boring. Like I usually don't even finish a game, I just quit when I'm bored.

TPA is fast and tough and some of the tables are pure BS, but it also means you play damn hard for 5-15 mins and go for the best score you can. It's a great leaderboard game...if it had friends leaderboards ;_;

I ended up flip-flopping and have been maining PS4 and going through all the tables again, if they can just add friend leaderboards, fix the sound, and rumble it'll be perfect.

I still think $30 for 22 tables is an incredible deal (about $1 each), and when season two is out for PS4 there'll be around 40 pinball tables to choose from for the price of a normal retail game, that certainly is a pretty great value proposition, and should let you feel like there is more selection to the game. To me, having access to all 40+ tables really makes it feel like a large collection, and it still has a bit (or hopefully lot) steam left to it, maybe they'll make it to around 100 or so.

I agree the season prices are great for the amount of tables you get. My only qualm is the whole "rebuying them over and over on different platforms". I bought and played through half of these tables on Williams HoF PS3, then rebought them again with new tables on PS3, then bought some on iOS, then bought them all again on PS4, and will probably buy them all on steam. $30-40 on its own is fine, $30-40x 3 or 4 for $120ish per season is...more pricey. Still way cheaper than the real tables, but I'd be a much bigger fan of Farsight if they had a "buy from our store and play on all your systems" thing and if they fixed the bugs.

GAF

thx.

Depends on what you want.

Pinball Arcade = Simulations of real-life pinball machines, with the same features and rules as the real life counterpart.
Zen / Pinball FX = Virtual pinball machines created specifically for the videogame. Plays more like a videogame and less like a pinball simulation.

For me, Pinball Arcade all the way.

JP

I've got a feeling that it's going to be weeks before we manage to get the discounts we qualify for. I didn't think it would be fixed over the weekend and we can probably forget about it for a while now. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if I was.

I've got a feeling that it's going to be weeks before we manage to get the discounts we qualify for. I didn't think it would be fixed over the weekend and we can probably forget about it for a while now. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if I was.
All the relevant people at Sony are probably off most of the week, and this wouldn't be high on their list anyway.

Someone remind me - it's been confusing - is there supposed to be a PS+ discount for season 1?

Top Bottom