• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Downloaded but not likeing what I'm reading about the R1/L1 issues. I'm not burning them out and then having to mod myself.
Your buttons will just stop working with another game. My R1 got sticky playing Warframe. There's plenty to be disappointed with in this game, but it doesn't break controllers.

Some of the in box PS4 controllers have a slight manufacturing fault, which you could cry about and waste time and money taking back for a replacement. Or take one minute to easily remove the button, clean it and pop it back on. Shame it's necessary, but I know what's less hassle for me.

I can also assume that anyone asking for the triggers to be available for use in this game has never played any of the other versions of PA that did allow them. It's horrible - way too much travel on analogue triggers. You need a digital on/off button for Pinball. By the time you've fully depressed an analogue trigger - the ball and your chance has long gone.

It's 'great' to hear that there's a single vague forum post out there stating that the discount 'might' get fixed in a 'few' days. It takes many man years of effort to change the one line of wrong code in a database which probably caused the problem. SMH.

Minsc

Gold Member
I can also assume that anyone asking for the triggers to be available for use in this game has never played any of the other versions of PA that did allow them. It's horrible - way too much travel on analogue triggers. You need a digital on/off button for Pinball. By the time you've fully depressed an analogue trigger - the ball and your chance has long gone.

Flippers go off for me (360 controller w/ Steam version) with pressing the triggers only about 1/5 of the way down. Don't need to be fully depressed.

Shaneus

Like I love comparing scores and competing with friends and even complete strangers on the platform I'm playing on, but I have absolutely zero interest in seeing how my PS3 Attack from Mars score compares to someone playing it with different physics and touchscreen controls on an ipad. Especially when the Android and iOS versions have hacks that let people upload fake scores to the leaderboard that then show up on every platform. There isn't even an option to see scores for only your platform.
What difference does it make to you anyway? You'll still be in the top 5 regardless of whatever platform or table you're playing, regardless of hacks :p

vg260

It's 'great' to hear that there's a single vague forum post out there stating that the discount 'might' get fixed in a 'few' days. It takes many man years of effort to change the one line of wrong code in a database which probably caused the problem. SMH.

I don't think it's fair to say how easy the fix would be without knowing how convoluted Sony's system is.

Also they did a live Stream yesterday, and people asked about the fixes, and it really did sound like it was out of Farsight's hands. It would be bad to overpromise when they can't control the timing.

I don't think it's fair to say how easy the fix would be without knowing how convoluted Sony's system is.

Also they did a live Stream yesterday, and people asked about the fixes, and it really did sound like it was out of Farsight's hands. It would be bad to overpromise when they can't control the timing.

Where do they stream?

vg260

Where do they stream?

I don't recall. I saw the link on Facebook yesterday, and they said it was the 1st one.
I tried to ask some questions. It took them several times asking to get them to clarify, but they said they're aware some people bought the discounted S1 regular pack since the discounted S1 pro pack was not able to be bought, and are kinda screwed. It may take adding a new upgrade item for the pro packs for those in that case. They didn't know the timing, but it might not be quick for this issue (since there is no such existing store item). Their language made it sound like it could be a month for that item. I know when SFxTekken has a similar cross-buy issue, it took weeks or more for Sony to fix it.

Also asked about the patching submission time on PS4, and it's still no where near as fast as Steam. I was hoping it would be better on PS4, but I guess not.

Shaneus

Also asked about the patching submission time on PS4, and it's still no where near as fast as Steam. I was hoping it would be better on PS4, but I guess not.
Still don't know why they're not even beta testing the new lighting on PC. You honestly wouldn't think it'd take them that long to do, even if it's just for the S1 tables.

PS. I'm *loving* Fish Tales. It's probably the best playing table they have, even a bit better than T2. Hope they give older tables similar treatment as shit like the too-easy ramps in CftBL etc. piss me off more than anything.

Bebpo

Banned
Is Farsight's email account verification normally...slow? I made an account and figured I'll just add farsight leaderboard friends at this point so I have some sort of a friend leaderboard, but it tells me I need to verify the account before I can sign in and add friends...but it's been like 3 hours since I made the account and I haven't gotten a verification e-mail.

vg260

Still don't know why they're not even beta testing the new lighting on PC. You honestly wouldn't think it'd take them that long to do, even if it's just for the S1 tables.

They said they are working on it currently. Might not be ready for player testing yet.

system11

Zen Pinball 2 also appeared today on PS4, it plays quite a bit better aside from a small amount of latency on flippers in comparison. PBA has had wonky physics in every iteration - feels like the tables are too steep and the ball is being dragged by a magnet.

Disclaimer: I have owned at least 1/4 of the tables emulated in it, they all feel that way to me.

Shaneus

OHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGOD

XbuizLL.png

Minsc

Gold Member
Zen Pinball 2 also appeared today on PS4, it plays quite a bit better aside from a small amount of latency on flippers in comparison. PBA has had wonky physics in every iteration - feels like the tables are too steep and the ball is being dragged by a magnet.

Disclaimer: I have owned at least 1/4 of the tables emulated in it, they all feel that way to me.

Be that as it may, the majority of the serious pinball people at PAF forums have all invested hundreds of hours on real tables all the time and also own the tables, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone agreeing with you, especially when compared to ZP2. Are the physics perfect? No. They're significantly better than anything else out though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Stereo 3D in zen pinball 2 as well. Makes me look forward to it in TPA, looks really nice.

system11

Be that as it may, the majority of the serious pinball people at PAF forums have all invested hundreds of hours on real tables all the time and also own the tables, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone agreeing with you, especially when compared to ZP2. Are the physics perfect? No. They're significantly better than anything else out though.

Yes I've been arguing with people on Pinside in the past about PBA, they all love it - but when you can't get the ball acceleration correct, making a very accurate table model doesn't result in a faithful reproduction of how the game plays. Does vary by table, Scared Stiff is very good but Taxi doesn't feel right at all.

ZP2 isn't realistic, just plain fun.

Are you sure you haven't been playing tables set to different angles than the ones in Pinball Arcade? I mean, that is one thing operators can adjust is the steepness of the table, so in theory the same table could play somewhat differently at two different locations.

Minsc

Gold Member
I've also seen people complain about TPA physics, saying it's too bouncy or whatever, like the ball will bounce halfway up the table from the flippers, then someone links them to a video of an actual table, with the glass removed and you can see someone's hand grabbing the ball and dropping it from the top, and of course, it bounces halfway up the table off the flippers just like they said it shouldn't. So physics of a table can vary a lot depending on setup.

And I believe in the documentary type videos, farsight records play from real tables and syncs it to their physics, like if the ball goes from flipper to the top of the table in X time and then back down in Y time, they attempt to match it in the game, so it's generally based off of real life data.

JP

For the people like me waiting for the PS3 to PS4 discount to be sorted out, is there any way to download trial versions of each of the tables so that it's just a matter of downloading the 100kb unlock files when it's sorted?

I'm pretty sure there was trial versions of each of the tables previously but I can't find anything.

Shaneus

BetOnBlack.jpg

From the latest newsletter. Guess we know what table is next!

Black Sheep Squadron!
Full newsletter: Right here!
People are guessing Who Dunnit? with BK as the free table. Guess that increases the possibility that BK (and FP!!) will have emulation, because they wouldn't give it away for free if it wasn't... right?

Trying to decide which Playstation version to buy for this. Is there any crossbuy with Vita for either PS3 or PS4 versions? If I bought the PS3 version, is there any upgrade pricing for the PS4 version?

I'm kinda leaning toward the PS4 version, since I can still play it on my Vita with Remote Play. That is supported in the game, right?

EDIT: Just checked the store and see that the base PS4 version is free and PS3 and Vita are CrossBuy. Think I'll get all 3 then hehe.

PS3 and PSVita is crossbuy with each other on everything, PS4 is independent, although you do get 50% off the PS4 Season 1 pass if you own the Season 1 pass for the PS3/Vita version. PS4 includes Tales of the Arabian Nights for free, and the other three Core tables are included in Season 1.

For context, Zen Pinball 2 is straight up PS3/PS4/PSVita cross-buy with everything.

vg260

People are guessing Who Dunnit? with BK as the free table. Guess that increases the possibility that BK (and FP!!) will have emulation, because they wouldn't give it away for free if it wasn't... right?

Wasn't there only going to be one table per month?

Minsc

Gold Member
Wasn't there only going to be one table per month?

Black Knight is a season one table, people are guessing it may be the free table of the month (every month a different table is free for the month to play as much as you want if you don't own it), with WHO dunnit being the new table for the month.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For the people like me waiting for the PS3 to PS4 discount to be sorted out, is there any way to download trial versions of each of the tables so that it's just a matter of downloading the 100kb unlock files when it's sorted?

I'm pretty sure there was trial versions of each of the tables previously but I can't find anything.

I'm not sure but it seems if you download the base game with unlocked TOTAN table, the season 1 tables are in fact included in a big bundle that's about 2 gigs. After the base game and TOTAN download enough to be playable you can launch. If you check the game information by hitting Option, then Information you should see it is still downloading another gig and a half.

At least this is what happened here.

system11

Are you sure you haven't been playing tables set to different angles than the ones in Pinball Arcade? I mean, that is one thing operators can adjust is the steepness of the table, so in theory the same table could play somewhat differently at two different locations.

It's possible they have them set up wrong in that regards ;) I was always really fussy about having my table incline set as per the recommended angle in the manual. I've still got an actual Williams measurement tool somewhere. I miss the SS, it was in stunning condition after I restored it. PITA game to get the spider scoop eject to work every time though, at least emulated versions are free of that!

You're right about locations all being different. Loads of variables: table angle, dirt, mylar, rubber type, wax, electrical/mechanical wear and minor assembly differences all play a part and location machines are often very poorly maintained.

Whenever I restored a machine, it came out looking something exactly like this:
http://www.system11.org/temp/Pinball/Breakshot/right_orbit.jpg

Shaneus

Not getting my hopes up but the reply, if dreams were squashed they would have responded differently right??........
I reckon so. Someone on PAF mentioned even prior to this morning's comment that when FS have been asked about some other tables, they've been FAR more dismissive (Xenon was one, can't remember the other). So I think we can take this as confirmation :D

Siegmeyer

Disagree with this. I own most of the TPA tables on PS3 and always used L1/R1 because L2/R2 are an abomination on the PS3, but I downloaded Sorcerer's Lair, the free Zen table on the PS4, and I much prefer using the triggers. There's barely any travel needed before it registers.

It's baffling that Farsight omitted the option for PS4 when it was there on the PS3, but then again, this is Farsight.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I reckon so. Someone on PAF mentioned even prior to this morning's comment that when FS have been asked about some other tables, they've been FAR more dismissive (Xenon was one, can't remember the other). So I think we can take this as confirmation :D
I wonder why they were dismissive about Xenon.

Shaneus

I wonder why they were dismissive about Xenon.
Was never really groundbreaking, apparently gameplay is quite boring once you get over the initial aesthetics... found this out when I was contemplating getting one only a few weeks ago. Good for show, but very little keeping you there.

Plus, no real historical value either I guess. I think if they're going that old, they want it to have made an impact in some way and not just been a random table they got the license for (which seems to be the case for some of the DMD stuff).

Shaneus

Definitely. If ever I have the opportunity of owning multiple tables AND have the room for something that's purely fantastic to look at, it'll be on the cards. But for myself and I imagine Farsight, there's probably another 50 or so at least that are more unique/important/better playing.

Good point on the family-friendly thing, too. That's obviously a big factor, esp. considering the SS family mode crap.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't know if this pertains to anyone, but in the iOS app update description, the Season 2 price of $30 is only temporary, so I imagine that is true on any platform selling Season 2 for $30 now, instead of the $40 it used to be (Steam, PS3/Vita/etc). Guess buy it before it goes back up to $40 if you haven't. Or take your chances and wait for a sale.

Well just had L1 start sticking on one of my DS4's. Not blaming this game or anything, just that it is the only game where you use them regularly. Probably just going to return to Amazon for a new one.

vg260

Well just had L1 start sticking on one of my DS4's. Not blaming this game or anything, just that it is the only game where you use them regularly. Probably just going to return to Amazon for a new one.

I was about to do the same, but Amazon kinda screwed people by shipping these out pre-launch in October because it missed the extended Christmas return window start and now it's too late.

I really wish there was a way to go back and view Standard Goals in-game once you've moved on to Wizard Goals. I know I can get them on the Internet, but would be nice to see them in-game.

So many tables are much, much better with the lighting. CV is really awesome now, a table I really didn't care for much. Scared Stiff is nifty too.

Black Knight is a season one table, people are guessing it may be the free table of the month (every month a different table is free for the month to play as much as you want if you don't own it), with WHO dunnit being the new table for the month.

They're doing free tables now? On what platform?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really wish there was a way to go back and view Standard Goals in-game once you've moved on to Wizard Goals. I know I can get them on the Internet, but would be nice to see them in-game.

So many tables are much, much better with the lighting. CV is really awesome now, a table I really didn't care for much. Scared Stiff is nifty too.
Do you play in dark mode? I love the way it looks but find that gameplay wise too much of the table is obscured.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I guess so. How can you tell which is the free one? I have the ipad app but I didn't see anything about a table of the month.

I'm not sure actually, since I own them all lol. I think it was Whirlwind though, from the last clue... with the fish flying around in a tornado? Try that one. I think it's not free like you can keep it forever, it's just free for that one month and you still need to buy it afterwards, no high score limit like the normal trial mode.

I'm not sure actually, since I own them all lol. I think it was Whirlwind though, from the last clue... with the fish flying around in a tornado? Try that one. I think it's not free like you can keep it forever, it's just free for that one month and you still need to buy it afterwards, no high score limit like the normal trial mode.

That's cool. I have a 1st gen ipad and the game doesn't run very well on it (lots of slowdown), but having another table to dick around on beats playing the same 8 tables I've got on xbox yet again.

Carm

Yeah, I guess so. How can you tell which is the free one? I have the ipad app but I didn't see anything about a table of the month.

I'm assuming it will look like this on all the versions?

Whoever set Harem multiball as a Standard goal on TotAN. should be slapped. 70 million point game, rescued the princes, hmm, why didn't I get a Wizard goal pop-up, oh, because I haven't done the stupid Harem multiball, which is super annoying to get as the lane is 90% of the time being used for some other function. And oh, none of your feats carry over, so rescuing the princess didn't count...

Top Bottom