• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It really isn't a poor financial decision at all. If you want to get rid of it, the chances of you losing a significant amount of money (providing you buy smart and don't buy the first thing you see) are very, VERY slim.

It's like that Simpsons episode where Homer buys Lisa a pony. In this day and age, you can't NOT afford to get a pinball machine!

Hahah, that's true actually. These seem to be appreciating quite a bit and I can't imagine them ever doing otherwise unless we have some huge new wave of pinball games that obsoletes all the classics (extremely unlikely). At work we have an Addams Family machine that I checked out today and some others I'll have to go check out. The one thing I would really like about personal ownership is being able to keep all the rubber super fresh. Even on tables that get a decent amount of care stuff just gets worn down.

Shaneus

Hahah, that's true actually. These seem to be appreciating quite a bit and I can't imagine them ever doing otherwise unless we have some huge new wave of pinball games that obsoletes all the classics (extremely unlikely). At work we have an Addams Family machine that I checked out today and some others I'll have to go check out. The one thing I would really like about personal ownership is being able to keep all the rubber super fresh. Even on tables that get a decent amount of care stuff just gets worn down.
It's completely true. Advantages to owning a pinball machine:
* Resell prices don't fluctuate all that much, unless you buy new-in-box or a rare table at an inflated price.
* Depending on where you live, chances are you'll find someone to swap machines with if you get bored via websites like Pinside.
* You can service and fix them yourself (most of the time) from tips gained from a community like Pinside.
* You don't have to leave the house to play pinball. Whilst I know I haven't *saved* money by getting my own machine, I can tell you my want to go play the same crappy Stern machines at my local arcade has dropped considerably.
* You get better at playing pinball. It's harder to actually get worse by owning a machine!

Disadvantages:
* None

Easy ;)

Shaneus

Non-TPA pinball news:
So, some of you may have caught wind of the flyer/ad that did the rounds at Expo this year:
HyRz0Djl.jpg

Dutch Pinball presents: The Big Lebowski pinball!
There’s this pin...

This pin I want to tell you about, pin by the name of Lebowski.

That’s right, Dude. You’ve asked for it, and Dutch Pinball abides with the most epic pin ever... The Big Lebowski™ Pinball.

We’re taking a whole new approach to gameplay... call it Pin 2.0: beautiful graphics, SFX and immersive gameplay based upon your suggestions.

Pull back the plunger and immerse yourself in the world of The Dude, with video clips and audio samples, toys based on the movie, and in-depth rules following the film’s plotline. You’ve never played anything like this before.

Say what you like about the tenets of Pin 2.0, Dude, at least it's an ethos.
What are you thinking, man?

Of course we’re designing a game with great rules (yep, we care about the rules!) but this will be different. We’re making The Big Lebowski™ Pinball the most epic pinball machine, so for the first time ever, you can have a say in how the game is designed. Send us any requests or suggestions for the design, the toys, or the rules, and you could become a part of pinball history.

Press release PDF

Personally, I'm not a fan of the theme... but as Nate on C2C says, they're probably making <1000 of these, so I'm not the market for this game. However, following a similar production/manufacturing strategy is this little thing:
3dtoyCb.jpg

Know which one I prefer (especially considering the price of the latter will be MUCH cheaper in Australia, given it'll be birthed here!)

Carnby

I finally got around to playing Bride of Pin Bot and Black Hole. Both are very good.

BTW, Bride of Pin Bot is funny.

Bride: I can speak!
Pin Bot: Oh. No.

or

Bride: I like what I see...
Pin Bot: I. Do. Not. Understand.

Benedict

Still no word from Farsight or SCEE regarding the PS4 Pinball Arcade Season one discount bundle.
But SCEE has removed the PS+ discount that was available before, or it just has expired...
It's now priced at 135 sek (about $20) but still not available to buy.
Getting pretty sick of SCEEs mistreatment regarding this.

Still no word from Farsight or SCEE regarding the PS4 Pinball Arcade Season one discount bundle.
But SCEE has removed the PS+ discount that was available before, or it just has expired...
Welcome to the circle of abuse which consists of you, Sony and Farsight. Just step out of the circle, stop checking - they probably won't ever fix it. They don't want your or my money enough it seems.

Shaneus

It's about $20 without discount where you are? Consider yourself lucky... in Australia it's $44AUD!

Shaneus

Ohhh... the way I read it, it sounded like that was the full price. The S1 regular bundle is $44AUD and the pro pack is around $55. I'd buy it at the cheaper price, but after buying all seasons for PC and iOS, I can probably justify $30 but not much more.

ThisOne

Just downloaded this for PS4. Might purchase some tables soon. It looks like it comes with one free table (Arabian Nights)? What camera view and settings do people find the best?

jvm

Gamasutra.
So.... what are the chances that Lebowski Pinball could be included in TPA? :(

Right after The Addams Family, right?

Minsc

Gold Member
So.... what are the chances that Lebowski Pinball could be included in TPA? :(

Right after The Addams Family, right?

TAF can at least be emulated properly (if the licensing ever clears up). It sounds like the chipset behind Leboswki will be many years away from proper emulation, if it's indeed something new, Pinball 2.0 (tm).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just downloaded this for PS4. Might purchase some tables soon. It looks like it comes with one free table (Arabian Nights)? What camera view and settings do people find the best?
I use camera view 2 with the multiball camera and action camera on. I feel like it's the best combination of seeing everything and focusing on the action.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Damn. I should know better than get excited (still waiting for my X360 tables, lol) but... I'd buy the full seasons in a second, especially since now that I've played the PS4 version and feel that, while the lighting was improved, all things considering it was a letdown and I'd be much better off with, ehrm, off-tv play at 60fps than slightly better gfx (and hopefully they'll keep their word on improving the PC port).

Gimme!

I know how you feel right now. Probably something like how I felt when I beat Ghouls and Ghosts after 15 years of trying. One day I will make myself get Goal 5 on ToTAN. One day!

Great news that we're getting Season 3 tables on PS4 around the same time as other platforms. I had my fingers pretty crossed for that one. All my desires are on this list basically. PC cab support (some day...). PS4 3D support. Pinball After Dark. PC DX11 support. The list goes on :)

Finally I'm in, and the water feels lovely.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know how you feel right now. Probably something like how I felt when I beat Ghouls and Ghosts after 15 years of trying. One day I will make myself get Goal 5 on ToTAN. One day!

Great news that we're getting Season 3 tables on PS4 around the same time as other platforms. I had my fingers pretty crossed for that one. All my desires are on this list basically. PC cab support (some day...). PS4 3D support. Pinball After Dark. PC DX11 support. The list goes on :)

Finally I'm in, and the water feels lovely.

Damn that's gonna be awesome. Give me a reason to dust off my 3D glasses...well until the novelty wears off after ten minutes or so and I actually want to go back to getting high scores and Cheevos.

But I am legitimately excited.

3dcycle.gif

Shaneus

I wish they gave us an option for the PC version to just basically go nuts with visual settings etc. via an ini file if we so chose. Surely settings like camera positions, post-processing configuration and such are read from somewhere they could give us access to?

Also wish they'd do something about the pricing in the AU PSN store. I'm debating setting up a US PSN account just so I can get the tables for cheap, but I don't know if there's any drawbacks with mixing AU and US accounts on the one PS4.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wish they gave us an option for the PC version to just basically go nuts with visual settings etc. via an ini file if we so chose. Surely settings like camera positions, post-processing configuration and such are read from somewhere they could give us access to?

Also wish they'd do something about the pricing in the AU PSN store. I'm debating setting up a US PSN account just so I can get the tables for cheap, but I don't know if there's any drawbacks with mixing AU and US accounts on the one PS4.

I've always been annoyed you can't just pan around the table mid-game, which would be really nice especially to learn new tables.

I've always been annoyed you can't just pan around the table mid-game, which would be really nice especially to learn new tables.

On a lot of tables you can't even read what it says on some parts. I can't understand why they won't include some way to zoom in on what you want to take a closer look at.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn that's gonna be awesome. Give me a reason to dust off my 3D glasses...well until the novelty wears off after ten minutes or so and I actually want to go back to getting high scores and Cheevos.

But I am legitimately excited.

3dcycle.gif

Actually, Stereo 3D is awesome (and useful) for pinball games when done right. I consistently score way higher on Marvel/Zen on 3DS with the 3D on rather than not. Added depth is great for calculating distances and shots. Too bad it's 30fps that way, ugh.

Shaneus

Actually, Stereo 3D is awesome (and useful) for pinball games when done right. I consistently score way higher on Marvel/Zen on 3DS with the 3D on rather than not. Added depth is great for calculating distances and shots. Too bad it's 30fps that way, ugh.
For PC you should be able to do side-by-side and have it run at 60. Shame I don't have a monitor that can do 3D though, because 3D in 'tate mode would be fucking nuts.

Can anyone recommend a good monitor that does either 120HZ or that frame blinking shit?

Shaneus

Oh god, my High Speed is BRUTAL now. Targets have foam behind them on all machines... mine had foam in various states of (dis)repair and density, I've now replaced them all with what I suspect is slightly stiffer than what came out of the factory. This was to stop them being more springy and causing airballs. After doing this I also cleaned the playfield with a bit of Mr. Sheen (it's a furniture polish) and... holy christ, I have not played a faster game EVER.

I love it :D

I also played my local Getaway today, paid $2 for three credits, hit the replay score an additional three times to get six games total (there may have been another one, it felt like it at least) with a top score of ~215mil. All with a sticky upper flipper as well, so I was pretty happy about that too!

Couldn't come at a better time, have a mini tournament/meeting tomorrow and I'm in a good place with my playing. My new, brutal HS is helping with reflexes a lot as well.

Good job. How much did you get the jackpot up to?
I couldn't coherently track anything but my unbridled rage at the tiger loop blinkers not expiring, spelling out "HARE" only to get the lock blinkers activated, or just the general frustration of trying to hit those shots. The score was nothing to the euphoric release of never having to concern myself with that goal again.

Shaneus

Hey guys.

Don't get excited... kinda. Unity3D Pinball alpha is here! From what I can tell, it's a Unity 3D engine-based frontend for Virtual PinMAME that utilises tables already made for Future Pinball.

This is why it's cool:
* Visual Pinball hooks into the PinMAME emulation fine, but only has crappy 2D skins that typically look like complete arse.
* Future Pinball DOES allow for 3D rendered tables, but doesn't allow for ROM emulation as it's author only intended for it to be used for homebrew/original tables.
* As far as I can tell, this just utilises conversions of Future Pinball-designed tables and also adds ROM emulation, making for the closest thing thus far to Pinball Arcade.

The 3D also allows for full cabinet support as it's 3D and not fixed 2D like Visual Pinball, which always required discreet table "skins" for each view needed (including cabs).

Linky:
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=26236

Note: So far, only Black Knight 2000, TAF and Dr. Dude have been created for testing, but it opens up a whole new world for pinball emulation on PC and a great (if obviously morally ambiguous) option to play games in 3D that are unlikely to get ported to TPA.

Bride of Pinbot

Music: Dan Forden

Well that explains the similarities between Bride of Pinbot and Mortal Kombat.

Exhibit A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jGYQOFd0_9c#t=102 <- go to 1:41 mark

Exhibit B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rVftv6Vn1k

Goro's Lair and Bride gaining the ability to speak are almost identical.
That's probably more a sign of the sound hardware at the time being very close to identical (I think), as well as basically being the same company. For example, the most sounds in games like Black Knight and High Speed are literally identical to video games at the time like Joust and Defender.

Midway was bought out by Williams (aka WMS Industries) in the late 80s. So while a large part of it is probably due to the same sound designer working on both games, it's also due to the hardware used as well :)

Edit: Just checking, BoP was released in 1991 and the first MK was 1992. Could well have been working on them at the same time, if that would've been possible/necessary at the time.

orfax

Thanks, dude. I used you as inspiration and did it myself over the weekend on my PS4. And of course when it rains it pours. I did it first with player 4's second ball (getting over 100 million in the process), and then repeated it with player 3's third ball. And the best bit is I have it recorded too. Woohoo!!! (shame about the crappy quality of the recording on the PS4).

jvm

Gamasutra.
Played Monster Bash for the first time ever on my PS4 tonight. After four absolutely miserable games, everything clicked. I ran through all five basic goals and set a new personal high score of 585 million or so. Extremely satisfying.

joeblow

Congrats you guys. Heh, this must be the weekend of personal milestones reached in TPA. I finally got the Backdoor Billion goal on Bride of Pinbot (which is a LOT harder than the Big Wheel Billion shot).

I've been trying to get for months (on the PS4 version). I ended up just shy of 8 billion that game and thought I may have squeezed past Parallax Scroll. Unfortunately he has 11+ billion. :D

Spent a few hours this weekend learning Champion Pub.

I think I hate this table. Hitting the bag or a gut shot is a total drain monster and a hook to the face seems to be mostly luck. 5 ball multiball is kinda neat but the jackpot values are so meh it doesn't feel good to score anything less than a Mega. I guess its saving grace is that it's not the worst DMD table in TPA.
Cactus Canyon

Shaneus

I like that the guys at FS have a sense of humour :) I posted this in one of the threads on PAF regarding animated rollovers:
NtEZDdy.png

Mike from FarSight replied:
iHbxnZa.png

Worth a shot!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
TAF can at least be emulated properly (if the licensing ever clears up). It sounds like the chipset behind Leboswki will be many years away from proper emulation, if it's indeed something new, Pinball 2.0 (tm).

Being that new it wouldn't have to be emulated unless that company is very, very disorganized.

Shaneus

Finally, grabbed from the Australian store.
Did you have S1 for PS3? How much did the discounted packs wind up being? Because we're still getting royally ripped off here for the full price. $44AU compared to $30US on the US PSN store is ridiculous... especially when that price isn't being reflected on any of the other platform's versions (as in, on the AU iOS App Store or Steam the price difference isn't as great).

orfax

Did you have S1 for PS3? How much did the discounted packs wind up being? Because we're still getting royally ripped off here for the full price. $44AU compared to $30US on the US PSN store is ridiculous... especially when that price isn't being reflected on any of the other platform's versions (as in, on the AU iOS App Store or Steam the price difference isn't as great).
Yes, I have S1 on PS3. Its $21.95 with the discount (non-pro upgrade). We get ripped off on everything on our store. Lol GTA 5 is still $110 on PSN (and on Live).

Benedict

It may well have been reported elsewhere but just to make sure that nobody misses it, the discounted Season 1 upgrades are available in the UK now. I'm not sure about other SCEE countries but hopefully they'll be available other places too.

I bought the upgrade via the PS4.

Pinball Arcade - Season 1 Upgrade - £11:99
Pinball Arcade - Season 1 Pro Upgrade - £15:99

FINALLY!
Works in the Swedish store as well. But no PS+ discount... 135 sek for regular version.

Shaneus

Yes, I have S1 on PS3. Its $21.95 with the discount (non-pro upgrade). We get ripped off on everything on our store. Lol GTA 5 is still $110 on PSN (and on Live).
FFS. You'd think FS would've done something about it. But S1 on PS3/Vita is the same (stupidly expensive) price, yeah? Which probably explains why I didn't bother with S1 on PS3.

It may well have been reported elsewhere but just to make sure that nobody misses it, the discounted Season 1 upgrades are available in the UK now. I'm not sure about other SCEE countries but hopefully they'll be available other places too.

I bought the upgrade via the PS4.

Pinball Arcade - Season 1 Upgrade - £11:99
Pinball Arcade - Season 1 Pro Upgrade - £15:99
Thanks JP for the information.

Now for the LOLS. I still can't buy the discounted tables because I don't own - Twilight Zone and Star Trek on PS3. I have them on the PS3 of course but they are Kickstartered table. Not registering I guess because of that.

Farsight you're not getting a single penny more from me until I can get these discounted tables. Let's go see if their support is able to deal with this - I'm doubtful.

Top Bottom