• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

joeblow

PS. I've read a bit more on the "after dark" thing. I think I like the idea. Hopefully it doesn't come off like a ripoff that they're still charging full price for S3 of TPA with only 10 tables *and* charging extra as well for the after dark tables.

S3 pricing will be less than S2 pricing because of the table count reduction. This will not be an issue.

This happened to me. Turn off the PS4 completely and then it back on. Pinball Arcade main file should start downloading all tables automatically, but you won't see progress per table on the dload list. Go to the main TPA file, hit the Option button and then Info. You should see TPA's dload info for DLC active there.
Tried it. Also deleted the base game and re-downloaded it last night. The tables still haven't downloaded.

I sent their support address an email a little bit ago, so I guess I'll see what they say when they respond.

joeblow

^^^ I hope it works out for you.

It's the same price on PC and iOS though?
Expecting the awesome PS4 version to cost the same as the iOS version is ridiculous.

And just like almost every other Steam vs. console multiplatform release, Steam prices win (no platform fees is one reason), so what is the point of bringing it up as if it is something unique?

Pinball is a much better alternative to Gaf. Do that instead of giving this site clicks.

^^^ I hope it works out for you.
I initialized my PS4 and downloaded Pinball Arcade again, and the tables were actually in the "My Tables" area now. Kinda stupid that that's what it took to get it to work, but whatever, I get to play some pinball now.

joeblow

It ends with a whimper:
DAY TWELVE!

Want to get in on our Day of Giveaways? Share and Like on Facebook, or Retweet on Twitter! Prizes all day!

Merry Christmas everyone!!! We would like to thank you all for a very exciting year! We are very grateful for our fans and appreciate all of the support. We intend to bring you many more great pinball experiences in the future! The Holiday tournament will end tomorrow at 12 GMT, so get those scores in!!!

We've selected the winners of yesterday's contest! Check to see if your name is on the list, and shoot us a message to claim your prize of Cactus canyon™ and Central Park™ on Android!!!
<names of winners>
Congrats!! This rounds prize will be the base table pack for PS4!!! Winners will be announced shortly! Also, be prepared! We will be giving out prizes all day today so stay tuned to win!

Benedict

But I won one of the last giveaways!
(not into the 2-pack I won though)

Maybe trade?
I won the base pack for ps3 but already have them. Contacted PA to see if it's possible to change the prize or offered them to redraw a winner, but don't expect a reply from them during the holidays.
This was my second win by the way...
No luck yet regarding the Ps4 PA issue in Eu though...

vg260

Maybe trade?
I won the base pack for ps3 but already have them. Contacted PA to see if it's possible to change the prize or offered them to redraw a winner, but don't expect a reply from them during the holidays.
This was my second win by the way...
No luck yet regarding the Ps4 PA issue in Eu though...

It's cool. It's a pack for mobile, and I only have one mobile pack I just got using via the $5 Amazon appstore credit they're giving away. So, I dunno if I have to only buy via the Amazon appstore now. I'll probably give it away if using the Amazon appstore means I can't use this one.
I don't buy apps, so I never understood how Amazon/Google Play store purchases interact.

Benedict

It's cool. It's a pack for mobile, and I only have one mobile pack I just got using via the $5 Amazon appstore credit they're giving away. So, I dunno if I have to only buy via the Amazon appstore now. I'll probably give it away if using the Amazon appstore means I can't use this one.
I don't buy apps, so I never understood how Amazon/Google Play store purchases interact.

I think they tie it directly to your PA- account. They did that for me on Steam anyway.

When I bought Minecraft on Amazon App for my $5 coupon it shows up as owned in the google store as well.
But not so for Terraria, which I bought also on amazon, but does not show up as owned at Google play. So there seem to be some sort of confusing interaction.

Finally got Quick Multiball Standard Goal on Whirlwind, I swear the detection on that one is completely broken, I know I've scored it 3-4 times before it actually registered with TPA.

Ok, so i'm really tempted to finally bite the bullet and buy through Steam, instead of waiting on the Xbox version that may never come. Which season is better if i can only pick one?

Brashnir

Ok, so i'm really tempted to finally bite the bullet and buy through Steam, instead of waiting on the Xbox version that may never come. Which season is better if i can only pick one?

It depends on what sorts of tables you like. There's no real definitive answer. I personally prefer Season 2, but I'd wager a guess that more of the regulars in this thread prefer Season 1. You can't really go wrong with either set, but go with 1 if you prefer the more complex and flashy mid-late 90s tables, and season 2 if you prefer the somewhat simpler 80s style games.

Mollymauk

Is it me or are the controls really improved with the ps4 version? I used to struggle with the lock / extra ball shot on Funhouse on the 360 version, but I can hit it easily on the ps4.

Is it me or are the controls really improved with the ps4 version? I used to struggle with the lock / extra ball shot on Funhouse on the 360 version, but I can hit it easily on the ps4.

I haven't played it on ps4, but I found 360 Funhouse was much easier than ps3 Funhouse. Mainly due to the skill shot and the cellar door jackpot shot.

Lock / extra ball shot was easy on both though so idk

It depends on what sorts of tables you like. There's no real definitive answer. I personally prefer Season 2, but I'd wager a guess that more of the regulars in this thread prefer Season 1. You can't really go wrong with either set, but go with 1 if you prefer the more complex and flashy mid-late 90s tables, and season 2 if you prefer the somewhat simpler 80s style games.

I'm probably going to get both at some point, but as far as personal preference, its basically the tables i played as a kid. So far, its a pretty even divide, so i was basically looking for an argument to sway me one way or another. I do tend to prefer the more complex tables though, so its likely season 1 would probably suit me more.

I'm probably going to get both at some point, but as far as personal preference, its basically the tables i played as a kid. So far, its a pretty even divide, so i was basically looking for an argument to sway me one way or another. I do tend to prefer the more complex tables though, so its likely season 1 would probably suit me more.

one is $30 and the other is $40

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup, going by the iOS description, Season 2 is temporarily priced at $30, and at some point it may go back up to being $40 again.

OK, pinball fans. Help a newcomer out. Been lurking on this waiting for the PS4 version after having fun with the initial four tables on the 360 months ago. Now I need some advice on buying - and the reason is I also own a Vita.

I'd like to have all the tables on PS4 (just talking S1 here - that's more than enough for now), and then a handful of my favorites on the Vita. But a "handful" of games will probably end up costing at least $15 right? That's three regular table packs.

But if I buy the full S1 on Vita, then get the discounted S1 on PS4, that's $45 for all tables on both platforms. Even if I just keep a few faves installed on the Vita, it makes more sense to do it that way, don't you all think?

Two more related questions:

-Which tables in S1 are the consensus favorites (I like the newer style tables)?
-Can I install tables one at a time on Vita or do I have to install packs/whole season? Memory space is at a premium on Vita.

Thanks...!

Description for Season 1 Pro Bundle on PS4 says it comes with access to Pro Menu for TOTAN and other tables. But it seems I already have access to the Pro Menu for TOTAN in the free base game. Are more features for TOTAN unlocked with the Pro Bundle, or is it redundant?

-Which tables in S1 are the consensus favorites (I like the newer style tables)?
-Can I install tables one at a time on Vita or do I have to install packs/whole season? Memory space is at a premium on Vita.

If I recall correctly the season packs on vita are still installed as separate addons to the main game (one bubble per table) so you can get away with a piecemeal install.
From Season 1 Medieval Madness and Attack From Mars are basically the same table, both very good. Funhouse is in there and you said you liked the new games but Funhouse is damn good.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Hey folks.

Love this game, just got Season 1 so far, but I'm getting some crummy resize artifacting playing at 720p. Anyone else got this problem?

Carnby

Where are the Monster Bash fans? I find this one funny and a lot of fun to play. Especially when I achieve monster bash mode.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Star Trek > Twilight Zone > Medieval Madness.

Suck it haters.

I can't stand Star Trek because of the absolutely ridiculous outlanes.

Where are the Monster Bash fans? I find this one funny and a lot of fun to play. Especially when I achieve monster bash mode.

I like Monster Bash, but I find it too easy.

vg260

Hey folks.

Love this game, just got Season 1 so far, but I'm getting some crummy resize artifacting playing at 720p. Anyone else got this problem?

Post processing "on" setting was supposed to be fixed, but I still get it at 720p on a nvidia card. I need to report it somewhere.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Post processing "on" setting was supposed to be fixed, but I still get it at 720p on a nvidia card. I need to report it somewhere.

Nvidia here too. Such a bummer, turns the table into graphic soup.

It has the best sound out of all of TPAs tables. Top notch music, voice and sound effects.

But it's dull.

And I thought I'd like Star Trek more but there's some frustration with lining up the phaser shots and that really hurts the table because you can't just duck around the cabinet to have a realistic chance every time. T2 also suffers from this but at least there are audio cues.

vg260

Probably one of the more basic tables, but I really like Bride of Pinbot. Mostly because I used to play the machine in the arcade.

Probably one of the more basic tables, but I really like Bride of Pinbot. Mostly because I used to play the machine in the arcade.

I'd love it if they could get that custom ruleset mod that that group have made recently. The table is great in every way BUT the ruleset makes you only shoot two shots (shuttle launch and heart ramp). The light show on the PS4 for that table is amazing too. I play it more than most I would guess, but I would play it a lot more with rulesets that encouraged shooting some of the different shots more, or in an order, or what have you.

I think my favorite of season 1 at the moment is probably Twilight Zone or Creature. I love the theming of both, Creature probably a tad more. The music on both is great and I love how Creature completely changes 'feel' once you get the movie started. TZ probably has the best rules though, and being a pretty hard table too is something I prefer. I like tables that drain faster as it makes it easier to fit in a game.

That's why, of the solid state old school tables, I love the pants off Gorgar. That's a fantastic table, theming, rules, difficulty, you name it.

Gorgar is pretty hardcore and I love it. Once you advance the goals far enough the heartbeat makes you feel like you're in a Dutch nightclub. Damn shame the nudging isn't quite there to make table mastery truly possible.

vg260

I'd love it if they could get that custom ruleset mod that that group have made recently. The table is great in every way BUT the ruleset makes you only shoot two shots (shuttle launch and heart ramp). The light show on the PS4 for that table is amazing too. I play it more than most I would guess, but I would play it a lot more with rulesets that encouraged shooting some of the different shots more, or in an order, or what have you.

Yeah, that would be cool. It's pretty simple, and a good starter and it looks nice. I like the weird, creepy late 70s-ish sci-fi theme. I used to hear the sound/effects in the arcade I played in, so they're tattooed on my brain. Same for Cue Ball Wizard and Class of 1812. I love those tables even if they're not all that great in terms of a pinball game. I'm not that good, so I'm still on the more basic ones.

Brashnir

I love BoP. The voice samples still make me chuckle. "I can speak." "Oh no!"

I'd like BoP better if they re-branded it as a 50 Cent :Blood in the Sand table. Then a voice sample could yell, "Yo Fiddy! Hit that big-ass ramp!" over and over, since all you do in that game is shoot the left ramp over and over.

Shaneus

Farsight need to fix (amongst other things) the feeling of dat ball vacuum you get on some tables (notably MB, BoP and Creature). There are some stupidly easy shots that'd never go in on even an easy-playing IRL table that make it in those tables (and some others) that really detract from the game.

The ball does feel a little more alive on the PS4 version though, so I guess they're getting closer. Still can't live catch, though :/

Imbarkus

Did you figure out where to report? I knew it had to be a recent bug because I didn't notice it before.

bj00rn_

Banned
Are the textures supposed to be this unclear and washed out? I mean, is it because they had difficulty "scanning" them or something. It would be nice if it was only "old washed out", kinda like faded colors from sunlight, but they have a certain dirty texture look to them which doesn't look quite right. The game plays well though, and there are quite a few tables that I remember from back in the days in the local arcade :)

Top Bottom