• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think there was discussion some time back on the thread, but there is no chance for Big Bang Bar or Kingpin or any of the Capcom titles to come out on here right?

Also doing some browsing it looks like the prices of 90s pinball games has gone up a ton the past five years or so. Any specific reasons or is it just 90s kids coming into the age where they now have money to blow? I'd like to get a machine after we buy a house next year but it does feel like 50% of the hobby is just knowing how to constantly replace parts and tinker with the machine and I am literally the least handyman person I know.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Are the textures supposed to be this unclear and washed out? I mean, is it because they had difficulty "scanning" them or something. It would be nice if it was only "old washed out", kinda like faded colors from sunlight, but they have a certain dirty texture look to them which doesn't look quite right. The game plays well though, and there are quite a few tables that I remember from back in the days in the local arcade :)

This is the problem I'm having at 720p. Bad resize artifacting, like when broswers used to be shitty at it. Clears up in 1080p but my weak-ass box can't play good at them new-fangled resolutions.

Not sure the best way, but you can email support@pinballarcade.com

Okay I'll do it this weekend.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think there was discussion some time back on the thread, but there is no chance for Big Bang Bar or Kingpin or any of the Capcom titles to come out on here right?
Emulation issues, apparently. I'm confident we're going to see them, though. Maybe Pinball Magic, Breakshot and Airborne in TPA and Flipper Football, Kingpin and Big Bang Bar in Pinball After Dark.

Shaneus

Also doing some browsing it looks like the prices of 90s pinball games has gone up a ton the past five years or so. Any specific reasons or is it just 90s kids coming into the age where they now have money to blow? I'd like to get a machine after we buy a house next year but it does feel like 50% of the hobby is just knowing how to constantly replace parts and tinker with the machine and I am literally the least handyman person I know.
All prices have. IMO partly due to TPA/PHoF (some don't seem to think so, but anyway) but moreso to the fact that people who were adolescent around that time (and younger during the 80s, obv) now have their own houses with money to splash out on a machine or two. I know Ben Heck has a pretty long-held opinion that the price of Ripley's has gone up considerably since TPA came out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
£24 for season 1 in the UK, Vs £4 for a table pack. For a casual player (me), can you say whether there are 2 or 3 stand out table packs? I'd be up for spending £8-12 but £24 is pushing it a bit, especially after the January PSN sale cleared me out

Levi

Banned
My first job was at a pizza place with a Star Trek: TNG pinball table. I played it a lot. This game is like a straight shot of nostalgia injected directly into my veins.

£24 for season 1 in the UK, Vs £4 for a table pack. For a casual player (me), can you say whether there are 2 or 3 stand out table packs? I'd be up for spending £8-12 but £24 is pushing it a bit, especially after the January PSN sale cleared me out

Table Pack 2 - Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse - is my personal choice.

It's a real personal choice kind of thing. Some people find certain types of tables really appealing. I, for example, in The Pinball Arcade, hate Black Knight.

All prices have. IMO partly due to TPA/PHoF (some don't seem to think so, but anyway) but moreso to the fact that people who were adolescent around that time (and younger during the 80s, obv) now have their own houses with money to splash out on a machine or two. I know Ben Heck has a pretty long-held opinion that the price of Ripley's has gone up considerably since TPA came out.

Unrelated, but that's got to be you in the top ten of Arabian Nights, yeah?

Shaneus

Unrelated, but that's got to be you in the top ten of Arabian Nights, yeah?
I doubt it... lemme check. PC?

Edit: Um, yep... definitely me! Only problem is, I have definitely never, ever scored that high on TotAN. My highest (at least, on PC) is ~120m. I have literally no idea how that score has appeared on there!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The ball does feel a little more alive on the PS4 version though, so I guess they're getting closer. Still can't live catch, though :/
You can live catch in Pro Pinball. Physics in that game are a thing of beauty. Can't wait for the Kickstarter updated version to come out.

I know this is super minor, but... Is it me or is the flyer art for the PC tables in a terrible resolution compared to the other platforms?

I can never get the A B C lanes I need off a plunge up top consistently and the nudging is too random, I'm bad at that sort of thing :(

I can do that pretty reliably I'm happy to say. Like Parallax says, it doesn't really mean much scoring wise, but I'm still pretty proud of being able to do it!

Shaneus

It's not necessarily "analogue" flippers, it's their inability to have a flipper that's in-between up and down... aka flipper "flutter" (that I and some others refer to it as). Where you can tap or release a flipper button so quickly that it doesn't go all the way up (or down). STILL can't do that in TPA :/

Actually, I think you can do it when releasing then activating the flipper again (when you release the flipper, you can see it doesn't go straight down, there is a graduated movement from up to down) but not the other way. It's infuriating! And as I think Parallax mentioned earlier, the Pro Pinball games do it just fine.

Minsc

Gold Member
At least you can half release a trigger to operate the top right or left flipper independently from the bottom one. But all those other things would be nice, I agree.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Seems like a risky move trying to simulate flipper flutter when latency issues can vary a lot out there. Hmmm.

On my 720p issue I had the post processing turned on. Clear as a bell turned off. What is it supposed to do for me?

Imbarkus

it adds bloom.

Hmmm weird. Maybe it's okay I emailed support and should still be reported, but I felt like an idiot when I turned a graphic option off and my problems went away, I just beat my best score on Star Trek, so I'm happy enough with what i got to play!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The retail copies of this game are selling for over MSRP on ebay.
I bought two copies at TRU to get in on a sale and was able to pay cover the cost of my personal copy by selling the other.

Finally I get to play these other tables.

Carnby

The retail copies of this game are selling for over MSRP on ebay.
I bought two copies at TRU to get in on a sale and was able to pay cover the cost of my personal copy by selling the other.

Finally I get to play these other tables.

That's silly. It won't be rare.

Ah, I was wondering what the deal was with the PS4 sound. It is bad. I mean really bad. Super-duper compressed. Happy to hear it'll eventually be fixed.

Jedi2016

Oh, thank you, thought I was going crazy. My receiver says it's receiving 5.1, but it's treating it like a stereo mix, which screws up the equalization. It was hard to find a good setting that would make it sound right.

Where's the news on the patches? Do they have a website, or is it just what's on the PS Blog?

Levi

Banned
Spent my first day off in a month getting all the bronze trophies in the retail PS4 version, and 4 or so of the silver. I feel confident I can get all the silver trophies, but some of these gold trophies look brutal.

Axiom

If Theatre of Magic was in the season 1 pack I'd have purchased it already. I'm still so annoyed that cross-buy is out for PS4.

What are the tables most akin to Theatre?

Shaneus

Does this include the retail version? Kinda makes buying the disc version for preservation purposes pointless.
No idea. Farsight don't seem to know how it happened in the first place, but it wasn't a deliberate move on their part. As far as I know it'll be getting fixed in either the first or second updates.

I would've laughed off people who thought it was that noticeable, but I played the trial myself (haven't bought, because the AU S1 pack is ~$15 more than the US one) and couldn't believe how jarring it was.

Minsc

Gold Member
Does this include the retail version? Kinda makes buying the disc version for preservation purposes pointless.

It does afaik. Buying the disc version for preservation purposes is pointless, the tables on the disc version will all be patched eventually.

For example, they spoke about fixing the strobe mode on one of the tables people were mentioning in a patch as well. The flippers can't be remapped on the disc version either (without patching), that's coming in the first or second patch as well.

There's probably going to be over 20 patches in the next year or two, and a good number of them will fix a handful of problems each, present on the disc version.

If Theatre of Magic was in the season 1 pack I'd have purchased it already. I'm still so annoyed that cross-buy is out for PS4.

What are the tables most akin to Theatre?

Check the OP. :) Season 1 includes the core tables, and Theatre of Magic is part of the core tables, hence it is in Season 1.

By far the worst thing about Pinball Arcade (which has many flaws to begin with) is that it had made me seriously consider making the extremely poor financial decision of buying a real table.

I was really tempted when I saw a Ripley's table on the local Craigslist for something like $3,000. Lucky for me I live in a 2br apartment, so I really don't have room for a pin. Although the second bedroom is free...

It took me a long time to warm up to that table in TPA but I love it. The theme of the table is terrible, but I'll be damned if the actual game isn't fun to play, and it probably has my favorite Super Jackpot and Extra Ball sound cues.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah my ideal would be to be a table in great condition rather than to try to snag a deal, buuuuut then you are talking about $10k+ instead of $3k+ let's say roughly for a popular 90s table. Buuuuuut if you're going to take on that level of commitment of having the thing sitting in your house, you might as well do it right, right? Be sure to tell your significant other that. It's perfectly logical. I'm still 18 months off from owning a house but a man can dream in the meantime. Live pinball down here in the bay area peninsula is absolutely non-existent. Best we could find was a golfland where the crappy dancing games were turned up way to loud and the tables were totally un-maintained.
------
After playing probably 100+ hours of TPA I'm only now getting into pinball techniques based on a comment earlier about not being able to do some of them in TPA. Really cool stuff and I'm glad at least some of them seem to work pretty well. TPA is so lovably enamored with pinball lore and history "I think it would be cool" if they used tables to teach pinball techniques. Seems like it wouldn't be hard either (for the ones that works at least). Ah well seems great and obvious so I'm sure it won't happen.

Carnby

I don't know why some of you said Monster Bash was too easy, when Medeval Madness is just as easy, if not easier. I earned the top 5 spots on the score board in under ten games. The game is a blast, but still, it's very easy.

Jedi2016

By far the worst thing about Pinball Arcade (which has many flaws to begin with) is that it had made me seriously consider making the extremely poor financial decision of buying a real table.
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day.. lol. "Man, this table's great, I should see about buying one..."

Shaneus

It really isn't a poor financial decision at all. If you want to get rid of it, the chances of you losing a significant amount of money (providing you buy smart and don't buy the first thing you see) are very, VERY slim.

It's like that Simpsons episode where Homer buys Lisa a pony. In this day and age, you can't NOT afford to get a pinball machine!

Top Bottom