• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

IT'S HIGH SPEED!!!!!!!

CWQdQpe.jpg

Edit: As soon as someone said to look at the plates, I ran over to look at the backglass... but I knew I'd seen those letters on my machine before. PS. You guys heard it here first, before PAF :)

BTW I think the Junk Yard speculation is due to a data file in the TPA folder on PC indicating it. But it could well be a red herring or just a dud file (although it does have references to filenames like tips and stuff for JY, so it's probably a legit file). But a car identifier as a license plate is more likely than a part number for some plane in another game, IMO.
I couldn't be happier for you :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

IT'S HIGH SPEED!!!!!!!

CWQdQpe.jpg

Edit: As soon as someone said to look at the plates, I ran over to look at the backglass... but I knew I'd seen those letters on my machine before. PS. You guys heard it here first, before PAF :)

BTW I think the Junk Yard speculation is due to a data file in the TPA folder on PC indicating it. But it could well be a red herring or just a dud file (although it does have references to filenames like tips and stuff for JY, so it's probably a legit file). But a car identifier as a license plate is more likely than a part number for some plane in another game, IMO.
If it's High Speed, then FS is going to make a lot of people happy, myself included. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally bought Season 2 on TPA in preparation for Season 3.

E: What's up with the way it's organized on Vita? Some of the tables from Season 2 go into the "My Tables" folder, but some stay in the "Season 2" folder? All of my S1 tables are in the "My Tables" folder. Bug/glitch/issue?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haha love that was such a piece of trivia no one on PAF or even Shaneus knew it for sure offhand. Excited to play! (PS4? Someday? Please?)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Finally bought Season 2 on TPA in preparation for Season 3.

E: What's up with the way it's organized on Vita? Some of the tables from Season 2 go into the "My Tables" folder, but some stay in the "Season 2" folder? All of my S1 tables are in the "My Tables" folder. Bug/glitch/issue?

Redownload the ones that stay in the S2 folder and see if that helps.

Vyse24

I realise I am years late to the party on all this stuff, but damn if it isn't a mess downloading all this stuff from PSN. I just purchased season 2, none of the tables were added to my download queue, and I had to go through the add ons section to find them all. /rant

Are the Steam versions generally the first ones updated? What is the lead time like for release to the other platforms for the tables?

Not 100%, but I think the mobile devices get it first, followed by Steam and then PSN.

Shaneus

Haha love that was such a piece of trivia no one on PAF or even Shaneus knew it for sure offhand. Excited to play! (PS4? Someday? Please?)
It could be confusing because the car's plates on the backglass are completely different to the ones on the p/f. I was just glad I sort of remembered that I'd seen that number before and didn't not go to verify myself.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You mean, as long as PinGAF felt it was a good investment/price.

Heh. Kind of truth.

I would LOVE a Tron, but I just don't know if I can justify it to myself at the asking. I have an Avengers Pro available for $3500, but that game man...

I don't know. We are going to look at games tonight and see what themes she likes since its going to be in the house for her and I to play, as well as our kids one day. So no Southpark or Simpsons or Family Guy (since she doesn't like those adult cartoons).

Shaneus

Depending on how much you could be willing to spend, it might even be worth holding off to see what Stern's next one is. Could well be Muppets.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Depending on how much you could be willing to spend, it might even be worth holding off to see what Stern's next one is. Could well be Muppets.

Haha that's one theme my wife would not like. She REALLY doesn't like the Muppets. I'm not even sure why...

E: Got my TPA issue sorted out. Had to manually download packs 15-20. Weird, but whatever. Only played Victory tonight. Very neat table!

Haha that's one theme my wife would not like. She REALLY doesn't like the Muppets. I'm not even sure why...

E: Got my TPA issue sorted out. Had to manually download packs 15-20. Weird, but whatever. Only played Victory tonight. Very neat table!

Get divorced.

I'm only half kidding.

My wife won't let me buy a pinball table, but that I can at least understand (noise + footprint + cost). Not liking the Muppets? Did they perform at her birthday party and all the other kids laughed, but she couldn't so the children all laughed at her instead?

Is your wife Tex Richmond?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Get divorced.

I'm only half kidding.

My wife won't let me buy a pinball table, but that I can at least understand (noise + footprint + cost). Not liking the Muppets? Did they perform at her birthday party and all the other kids laughed, but she couldn't so the children all laughed at her instead?

Is your wife Tex Richmond?

She didn't grow up watching them, so I imagine that's part of it. Also, we saw the new Muppets movie (not the NEW new one, but the one that came out a few years back) and were both really disappointed.

And regarding buying a pin, she knows how much I love it. I mean, I pretty much play TPA on my Vita all day, and she knew how much I loved the expo I went to. So when I brought it up, she was just like, "Oh I know you want one. And yeah, go ahead and get one." That's when we started talking about location, cost, etc. She's pretty amazing, haha. I guess that's why I married her after being with her for 9 years since high school! ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh man, Season 2 has so many cool tables! Glad I finally decided to jump on it. Pinbot is not what I expected, but it's a blast.

snaffles

Oh man, Season 2 has so many cool tables! Glad I finally decided to jump on it. Pinbot is not what I expected, but it's a blast.

I agree, I put a bunch of time into the season 2 tables over the weekend. I am surprised at how much I have gotten into the older tables, I spent around 3 hours yesterday afternoon just playing the El Dorado table. Was kind of bummed that White Water completely crashes my PS3 though, not sure how they can still have that up on PSN to be honest.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I agree, I put a bunch of time into the season 2 tables over the weekend. I am surprised at how much I have gotten into the older tables, I spent around 3 hours yesterday afternoon just playing the El Dorado table. Was kind of bummed that White Water completely crashes my PS3 though, not sure how they can still have that up on PSN to be honest.

I haven't even loaded TPA on my PS3. I play exclusively on my Vita and LOVE it. Regarding S2 so far...

Cactus Canyon - why is this game worth so much? It was OK, but nothing special...
Space Shuttle - I got the GC score on my first game? This is a fun game, though. Simple but enjoyable.
Pin*Bot - my favorite S2 table so far. Love the music, love the game.
Whirlwind - I need to play this more. I wasn't feeling it my first 3 games.
T2 - I feel like if I ever had space for 2-3 pins, this would need to be in my collection. Fun game about a movie I LOVED growing up. Pin*Bot is still better, though! ;)
Haunted House - OK, I really love playing older games like this in a sim environment. Having said that, I would NEVER want to own one. The gimmick is the basement playfield. It's fun the first few times, but it starts to get a bit same-y as you go on.
Class of 1812 - I have NO idea what was going on. I'm happy a game like this exists - it's so funky!
Victory - so I'm not a racing fan. Having said that, I love racing sims. I also have a soft spot for the racing board game (Formula D). I just can't stand the sport of racing for some reason. Given my general interest in racing as a game, Victory is a blast. Really enjoyed playing this one.
Cue Ball Wizard - I had a really great first game, but the shots are kind of awkward. On top of that, it's SUPER unclear initially what you're supposed to shoot at. Otherwise really fun.

I intend to finish up S2 tomorrow.

Thus far, between S1 and S2, my top 4 games are (in no particular order):

Pin*Bot, Taxi, ToM, TotAN

I was going to do top 5, but I can't really pick. But the 4 I listed are incredible. ToM and TotAN are probably my top 2 games. Pin*Bot and Taxi are great examples of how older games can still be champions amongst today's heavy hitters.

=====================

Now onto my quest for my first pin!

As stated before, I have no budget. We're not rich (far from it), but my wife knows how much I have come to really love pinball. But since I DON'T have to watch the cost as closely as I initially figured I would, it's making the decision so much harder. I've told myself no to ToM and TotAN because those games are crazy expensive. I want to keep it around $5k or less.

I won't get into the nitty gritty right now, but it's so crazy knowing you CAN get any machine you're interested in. I've said how badly I'd love to have a TRON (and she really loves the look of it, too), but I've started thinking about things like, "Will I play it every single day and love it?" I know the value will never go down on that machine, so it's a sound investment, but trying to picture myself playing the same game every day for like, 3, 4, or even 5 years? Crazy!

It's fun though! I'm SO happy Future Pinball exists as it's given me some insight. Sure, the physics aren't perfect, but the gameplay and rules are the same. I tried out LotR and couldn't get into it. That's one I'm happy just having on my computer. Jurassic Park is another that after playing on FP, I wasn't feeling it as much as I thought I would. The trick is finding the machine that I love SO MUCH that I want to own.

I'm actually heading over to a guy's place on Wednesday to try out Avengers Pro. I know the general opinion of it, but I still want to form my OWN thoughts on the machine. If I like it, I can get one for $3500, OR I can get an LE for $5300 STACKED with mods. My wife said she likes the way that one looks, too (he put LED's all over it and it DOES look gorgeous).

Anyways, going to bed. I need to sleep on all this craziness. It was a weekend full of pinball!

Shaneus

The more that TPA convinces people that alpha-numerics aren't necessarily worse (and in most cases, are better) than DMDs, the happier I am :)

Shaneus

nicoga: Have a think about getting a Pinbot. Pretty sure they're relatively cheap and not usually too beat up. Also, there are far more tables on Visual Pinball than Future Pinball, and Future doesn't have table emulation at all... everything's scripted. Keep that in mind, that the rules are likely not 100% in that as they are with the real thing (compared with VP, where the ROMs *are* emulated, but tables don't look as good as FP).

BTW Make sure you give yourself plenty of time on Avengers. I gave it maybe 30 mins on the weekend for the LE and *hated* it. It was mentally exhausting, playing that thing.

If $3500 ballpark-ish is your budget (reasonably speaking) I have a feeling that might be the going rate for STTNG in the US. It's fun, kid (and maybe wife?) friendly and looks great. Similar aesthetic to Tron as well, IMO (he says, having not even seen one IRL).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The only reason I prefer Future Pinball is because it's a LOT easier to set up and there are more recreations of current tables (Iron Man, Spider Man, TRON, LotR). While it IS scripted, it still lets me try and play tables that I'm interested in. I can have a table downloaded and playing in less than 10 minutes.

As for my time with Avengers - I intend to play as much as I can before I need to drive home. I want to make sure I love or hate it for the right reasons. Anyone who's owned one for an extended period of time seems to really like the game. I don't know enough about the modes and how it plays to make that call.

ST:TNG is going for between $3500-4000 here right now. Depends on the condition. A fully modded one with LED's and such looks awesome. I played one at Louisville and enjoyed it. I don't really care for Star Trek, but I'd go Star Trek over LotR any day.

I actually emailed Nate at Coast 2 Coast Pinball. It's a long email and it's basically addressing the same questions I've been having and proposing to other people. It's such a tough call when considering that much money, haha.

snaffles

I got my first trophy for completing all the wizard goals on a table last night after a solid 2 hours playing Gorgar. That aside I seem to have a knack for completely sabotaging myself when I have a good game going. Playing a game of Terminator 2 yesterday I had 78 million after my first ball with two extra balls light, my total at the end of the game was 82 million.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I got my first trophy for completing all the wizard goals on a table last night after a solid 2 hours playing Gorgar. That aside I seem to have a knack for completely sabotaging myself when I have a good game going. Playing a game of Terminator 2 yesterday I had 78 million after my first ball with two extra balls light, my total at the end of the game was 82 million.

Welcome to pinball! I had a KILLER game of TotAN going a while ago. I got to wizard mode on my first ball and completed it! After I finally drained, the last few balls lasted a total of like 45 seconds. Its so frustrating, but really kind of refreshing knowing that ANYTHING can happen!

Update to my pin search!

I'm now considering an X-Men Pro or (if I can convince my wife...) 2 games in the 1-2.5k range. JP, Stargate, Pinbot, Taxi, T2, etc. Got my feelers out!

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I'm now considering an X-Men Pro or (if I can convince my wife...) 2 games in the 1-2.5k range. JP, Stargate, Pinbot, Taxi, T2, etc. Got my feelers out!
2 games is what i was going to suggest. over time you'll need to do maintenance, wait on ordered parts or just want to play something different. having a 2nd machine goes a long way to making things easier :)

Shaneus

The only reason I prefer Future Pinball is because it's a LOT easier to set up and there are more recreations of current tables (Iron Man, Spider Man, TRON, LotR). While it IS scripted, it still lets me try and play tables that I'm interested in. I can have a table downloaded and playing in less than 10 minutes.
You're not looking in the right places ;) Remind me (maybe PM?) and when I get home from work I'll send you a link with where to get tables like Iron Man, Tron, LotR, Simpsons etc. for Visual Pinball. I'll probably post it here too, but I honestly just can't remember right now.

Update to my pin search!

X-Men Pro would be a good machine to get a hold of. I'm not a fan of it at all (new code or not), but I can see how people would enjoy it and the theme is quite decent. JP is supposed to be good, but I'd suggest that if you're getting two machines (a good idea for sure), get one DMD and one not just to switch it up and keep it a little different. Maybe if you haven't decided by the time the next Pinball Arcade pack comes out, you'll come to the conclusion that you need a High Speed ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Found a really nice JP for $1900. Pretty sure it's mine come Saturday! And yeah, my 2nd machine (which my wife agreed to) will come once I find "the one". Wife agrees that 2 lower cost pins sounds fun.

Fricken love that woman, haha.

Shaneus

Nice! That sounds like a good deal :) Do you know what to look for when buying one?

If I can offer a few pointers:
* Look for wear around inserts to see if they're raised or not (no idea if that's an issue on newer machines)
* There's a dino toy on there, yeah? Make sure that works
* Make sure you power it up yourself when looking at it. If it's powered up already "just to warm it up" or something, be very wary!
* The wear on the shooter lane is supposed to be a good indication of the machine's life. Mine doesn't seem that bad despite my playfield being fairly worn, but I've been told it's worth checking out.
* Maybe run through the diagnostics if you can? Oh, and check the DMD for busted pixels.
* Plastics etc., check they're all in decent enough nick.

Look up the machine on Pinside as well, see if there are any "what to look for when buying..." threads. They're always helpful :)

Stoked you've found one! Good that it's a DE table, too. Means if the other machine you find is a WMS/Bally, it won't feel like a similar game.

Edit: And from what I can tell, don't let the topper be a dealbreaker if he doesn't have it. Though if he doesn't, try and use it as an excuse to bump the price down a little ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The guy selling it is a collector - he owns a heavily modified TotAN with the new ColorDMD, as well as a deposit on the new MM and a JM that he may sell. From what I can tell, he's got a big pinhead and won't try and shaft me too hard.

That said, I am going to be looking for a few specific things. I'm going to have him take the playfield glass off and will be testing the dino toy a few times as well as the right scoop. I watched a YouTube video that pointed out a common problem that comes up due to the table shaker.

I never thought to power it down and power it up myself - that's smart. As for the diagnostics, I'm sure he'll let me - just no idea how to!

And I'm just waiting for pictures now to see if the topper is included. The only modifications he's done are a few LED's and some custom palm trees and dinosaurs. There's one broken plastic that he told me about - behind the control room. I guess that breaks on like EVERY machine. I'll look into it a bit.

And I figure once I've got this one in my collection, I can start investigating the next game. JP seems to have a pretty involved ruleset, and there's a guy over at pinside who is writing new rules and new code, so that's pretty awesome. Depending on when I get the itch to get my second machine, I may splurge for a used Stern. I imagine some pros will be down in price in 6-12 months when I decide to add my next pin. Or hell, if I find a crazy deal before then...

E: Here's the pics. http://s160.photobucket.com/user/jeffhaymes/library/?sort=3&page=1

Shaneus

Man, that is SUPER clean looking! Good that he posted close-ups of the scoops as well, they're always a good idea to have a look at as an indication of playfield use. If you were worried about them, you could look at getting yourself a Cliffy's protector for those (I'm sure he makes them) but I wouldn't be in any hurry unless they're having problems collecting the ball.

I don't know how you'll be able to wait until Friday ;) If he has a good rep as well, no need to worry about someone buying it from under you. Just be wary that that's a thing which could happen.

PS. You're definitely going into it in the right frame of mind. But try not to get too excited, prepare yourself for a "oh, this should just be a simple fix" or a "it just needs a fuse replaced, I just haven't had the time". They're big warning bells, and could be a dealbreaker or at least, worth knocking some money off.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, that is SUPER clean looking! Good that he posted close-ups of the scoops as well, they're always a good idea to have a look at as an indication of playfield use. If you were worried about them, you could look at getting yourself a Cliffy's protector for those (I'm sure he makes them) but I wouldn't be in any hurry unless they're having problems collecting the ball.

I don't know how you'll be able to wait until Friday ;) If he has a good rep as well, no need to worry about someone buying it from under you. Just be wary that that's a thing which could happen.

PS. You're definitely going into it in the right frame of mind. But try not to get too excited, prepare yourself for a "oh, this should just be a simple fix" or a "it just needs a fuse replaced, I just haven't had the time". They're big warning bells, and could be a dealbreaker or at least, worth knocking some money off.

Yeah, the ONE thing that I'm not excited about the possibility of is that there's a "simple fix" that he decides to bring up on the spot. I am going to get in touch with once more to verify that there's no board or play issues. He told me that the T-Rex works great, that he's replaced a bunch of bulbs/added LED's about 3 months ago, and that everything fires well.

Also, since he's up near Chicago, it's definitely my wife and I going that way to visit family. I just need him to confirm that he IS going to sell it to me if I decide to call it a sale. We don't want to make 3-hour trip for nothing, haha.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Something crazy just went down. ;)

I'll update as soon as my cell phone rings.

E: And there we go! I will be picking up an X-Men LE (Magneto) signed by Gary Stern and John Borg on Saturday. $5500. It happened so fast, haha. Machine has less than 200 plays on it and (per the owner of Great American Pinball):

Over 600 in additional mods, sub shaker, back box led, LEDs,speaker LEDs, mirror blades, custom cards, signed by Gary and the designer. Game is beautiful, and dialed in.

205066-i.jpg

And my wife just text me:

Awesome hunnie! I'm excited to play it!

Shaneus

Holy shit! Like I said, the game's not necessarily my thing... but that seems like it's a great score! The depth of that game from what I can tell is pretty incredible, so no doubt you'll get lots of play from it. Congratulations!!

You should get JP as well ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Holy shit! Like I said, the game's not necessarily my thing... but that seems like it's a great score! The depth of that game from what I can tell is pretty incredible, so no doubt you'll get lots of play from it. Congratulations!!

You should get JP as well ;)

Yeah, I'm still at a loss for how the price is so good. I talked to the owner on the phone and he's a really cool guy. The new update did make the game a lot more intense and deep. So excited about that! Apparently completing all modes is TOUGH, so that's killer.

Also, if you haven't watched the Borg review of the LE, you should. It got me super pumped! The moving ramp is a neat gimmick, but the MM style pop-up Nightcrawlers? So cool. And the color changing GI bulbs is awesome.

Seriously, $5500 really is a steal. My wife being excited to play it is icing on the cake!

E: I blame you for this purchase, just FYI. ;)

Minsc

Gold Member
In all seriousness, there really should be zero differences between the two. Maybe between the XB1 and the PS4, they'll have the incentive they need to get more tables released at the PS4 level, and then will have enough done to get the DX11 upgrade out too... I was just thinking probably part of the reason the DX11 is taking so long is well, because they've only really done the first season of tables, and even those have graphical fixes needed. Steam users would probably be confused if they could only play a portion of their tables in DX11 graphics, so I am starting to think it may be a long wait yet before we still the addition.

Shaneus

In all seriousness, there really should be zero differences between the two. Maybe between the XB1 and the PS4, they'll have the incentive they need to get more tables released at the PS4 level, and then will have enough done to get the DX11 upgrade out too... I was just thinking probably part of the reason the DX11 is taking so long is well, because they've only really done the first season of tables, and even those have graphical fixes needed. Steam users would probably be confused if they could only play a portion of their tables in DX11 graphics, so I am starting to think it may be a long wait yet before we still the addition.
I'm thinking that too, but not for those reasons. I just think that as per usual for Farsight, they're taking on too much and unable to deliver. The "competition" (or whatever) mode for PC still isn't there (despite being available on iOS and announced with the last release on the splash screen) and there's been literally no word on the lighting upgrade since it was first announced.

Still not enough to get me interested in buying it for PS4, though.

Oh, in another announcement of sorts: TPA should have MFi controller compatibility for the iOS release next update. This includes the controllers that are "MFi" designed (ie. expensive), but if you're jailbroken you can use ControllersforAll to grant this compatibility to PS3, PS4 and the WiiU Pro controllers :D

You have NO idea.

OK you probably do. But seriously. <3
Hey, anytime :) Shame you're not anywhere near Texas (I don't think), I'd grant you the privilege of schooling me on it!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Indianapolis and Texas could be 30 minutes drive away, for all I know ;P

Let's pretend it is - come visit while you're in the states!
Texas is quite far...

But seriously, I wish I could make the TPF. My boss's retirement party is that weekend, so I can't. But now that I'll be a pin owner as of Saturday, I feel like I'm going to be hunting down more things to do to feed my addiction while I save for my second pin, haha. Pinball Arcade will have to suffice for other tables until then.

Speaking of which, I did play more tables last night from S2.

========================

Dr. Dude - I surprisingly enjoyed this table. The music and sound FX were a bit annoying, but the table played well.

Firepower - Another old game that was relatively fun but not something I would ever own. Some fun shots.

White Water - I think this is a game my wife would love. SO many cool ramps, shots, nuances, etc. I really enjoyed it, too. I see why people love this game. I kind of see why it sells for so much. I'll be honest in that I'd rather spend an additional $1k to get one of the better modern LE's like I'm doing, haha. But if I ever strike it rich and have room for it, this would be one I'd be interested in playing and possibly owning.

Flight 2000 - I honestly don't even remember this table. I'll play it more later to get a better idea of what I think of it.

Goin' Nuts - I don't know why, but this table stressed me out playing it. Such a bizarre game. The timer mechanic and the 3-ball multiball to start is odd. I didn't really enjoy it. Having said that, I do want to spend a day on this table to complete it just to say I did. Not sure why.

El Dorado City of Gold - This was just OK. It felt like another game I've played, just can't remember which one. I think they even alluded to that fact in the introduction.

========================

Oh and Shaneus, I heard your name pop up on a Coast 2 Coast episode recently. Nice! AND! I just started listening to Pinheadz (the Australian podcast). I had no idea how much money it was to get a machine out there holy shit. You're from Australia, yeah?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looking at ordering a topper for my X-Men. Here are the two I've found that I like:

38382-i.jpg

32021-i.jpg

I might like the Magneto one more, but what do you guys think?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Magneto one for sure. No contest.

Yeah, the laser one looks neat, but on top of a game (you can see one next to the pic of the Magneto topper) it just looks "meh". I've sent a message to the guy who makes the Magneto one to see what it will run me.

Shaneus

Oh and Shaneus, I heard your name pop up on a Coast 2 Coast episode recently. Nice! AND! I just started listening to Pinheadz (the Australian podcast). I had no idea how much money it was to get a machine out there holy shit. You're from Australia, yeah?
Yep... that'll happen a lot. I think I've been mentioned maybe 6 or 7 times now? And I unintentionally got mentioned on Pinheadz as well, when one of the other guys (not Rod) said something about good comments in the Podcast thread on PAF. My name was mentioned there, too :/

PS. Speaking of season 2... Centaur. Get on it!
PPS. Topper? Eeeeh, I'm not really a fan of any kind of topper TBH unless it comes with the game (that's my get out of jail clause for High Speed ;) ). If anything, I'd be thinking about getting under-cab lighting, depending on how easy it is to do for recent-model Sterns. Still love the original topper setup for HS:
a69ugdVl.jpg

Hot Action Pinball, woo!

Top Bottom