• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Minsc

Gold Member
So TAF kick starter...does that include TAF Gold? Have they said how that's going to work?

$100 +
Welcome to the GOLD club!!! Everything above PLUS your name listed as a GOLD backer in the game credits AND The Addams Family® Special Collectors Gold Edition. This edition has gold accents, such as the metal ramps, gold legs and bolts, gold lettering, the vault plastic, the bumper caps and Thing's box.

Probably will be able to unlock it after release for $5. Ok, maybe not that cheap, but I do wonder if they'd just bundle it with the Season 4 pack or something.

Anyone else feeling the absolute meanness of Dracula's outlanes? The unforgiving ball save settings don't help.

It's a mean game all around. Lots of situations that cause SDTMs and outlanes based on my time with it so far, but that's good, as I love the more difficult tables for when I've only got a short time to play. Other games can go on forever.

It's a mean game all around. Lots of situations that cause SDTMs and outlanes based on my time with it so far, but that's good, as I love the more difficult tables for when I've only got a short time to play. Other games can go on forever.

Yeah, those STDMs are something. I like harsher 80s tables, but I didn't expect a near-mid-90s one to be so vicious. Love the Mist multiball and general layout, though...very distinct from many others I'm used to.

Tendo

What's the deal with not all the tables being on ps4? Just checked today after seeing the kickstarter news and thinking about buying some and it seems the list is incomplete?

Lettuce

Yeah, I read that...I hope that doesn't mean Gold is KS only. Because its not worth it at that level.

I think FS stated in the comments that the $100 tier backers would also receive the standard version along with the Gold version

Edit: Here's the comment by FarSight.....

"Regarding the tiers that receive the gold version: We still have some technical things to decide on before we know how the table will work into the DLC, but everyone entitled to the gold version will have access to the basic version as well."

I might actual back the $100 tier now especially if it will be a limited edition just like the real table. I don't think FarSight should ever release it as a standard downloadable later on either otherwise it just make this $100 tier worthless, if people are bitching about not being able to get the Gold version later down the line then put your money where your mouth is now or shut up about it!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think FS stated in the comments that the $100 tier backers would also receive the standard version along with the Gold version

Edit: Here's the comment by FarSight.....

"Regarding the tiers that receive the gold version: We still have some technical things to decide on before we know how the table will work into the DLC, but everyone entitled to the gold version will have access to the basic version as well."

I might actual back the $100 tier now especially if it will be a limited edition just like the real table. I don't think FarSight should ever release it as a standard downloadable later on either otherwise it just make this $100 tier worthless, if people are bitching about not being able to get the Gold version later down the line then put your money where your mouth is now or shut up about it!

Yeah, no. Abso-fucking-lutely NOT OK given the nature of TPA. If you think its fine to charge $100 for 1 virtual pinball table with 2 ROMs, you're part if the problem.

I really hope they don't keep it KS exclusive. I'm already iffy on Farsight and their general support and communication, but this rubs me SO wrong. I've bought a lot of their tables, love playing them, but this isn't a cosmetic non-gameplay related piece of content. This is a new take on a table. Charge $10 or something, but $100 upfront is painfully inappropriate in my opinion.

Shaneus

They're not charging $100 for it, though. They're just rewarding people who donate more. It's like donating to a charity and receiving gold-coloured plastic stick-pin vs. a red one. One is limited by virtue of only being available to large donors. People can't get pissy about not getting a gold badge because they didn't donate enough. If so, they're donating for the wrong reason in the first place.

Problem is, Kickstarter is being seen more and more often as an online store rather than a place for projects to get funding (with incentives/rewards along the way).

And keep in mind, the KS isn't for getting Addams Family Gold to TPA. It's just for regular TAF. The Gold is just a bonus for people who contributed more in getting the table made, with the end result being so that everyone can access it.

FWIW, I'd donate $100 towards this regardless of what the incentives are. Did the same for TNG and T2.

jvm

Gamasutra.
FWIW, I'd donate $100 towards this regardless of what the incentives are. Did the same for TNG and T2.
Correct answer. I dropped my money on them after only a cursory look at the tiers. You can't be picky when a chance like this comes along, at least in my opinion.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Finally got to play some Wizard of Oz pins.

That thing is beautiful. I'm not really a huge fan of the LED monitor, but the paint is just gorgeous.

Lettuce

Not according to a post Faraight made on the forums. Unless they've made a new post since then, but they stated very clearly that you pick which one you want.

I'll post what i posted about 8 posts again seeings as your too lazy to look

Shaneus

I highly recommend everyone listens to the most recent Pinball Arcade Fans Blahcade podcast, which is an interview with Bobby King. Discusses lots of things around licenses and rewards and such. Likely to answer a few questions some of you may have. Also brings up a thing on how BSD was a part of a "package" of licenses from Sony Pictures, so I guess we can expect other machines that would fall under their banner, too.

I know Starship Troopers was mentioned as potential a part of that package, but there could be very many others.

Edit: Last Action Hero was a Columbia film as well, who are a subsidiary of Sony. Terminator 3 as well, but we all know the licensing probs they had to overcome with T2, so it counts that out. Doing some research (aka bored at work), these could all be potentials:

Starship Troopers (Sega)
Last Action Hero (DE)
Terminator 3 (Stern)
Godzilla (Sega)
Johnny Mnemonic (Williams)

If I had to put money on it, I'd say it's a lock that Johnny Mnemonic was included in that deal. Also potentially LAH or ST (maybe even Godzilla) but JM is definitely the most popular of the bunch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll post what i posted about 8 posts again seeings as your too lazy to look

Yeah, I'm too lazy brah.

Whatever the case, I'm not in at $100 or $50. I may give enough to get the table, but I still may not even do that. Playing on Vita and eventually PS4, I don't enjoy the crazy long wait for tables.

I highly recommend everyone listens to the most recent Pinball Arcade Fans Blahcade podcast, which is an interview with Bobby King. Discusses lots of things around licenses and rewards and such. Likely to answer a few questions some of you may have. Also brings up a thing on how BSD was a part of a "package" of licenses from Sony Pictures, so I guess we can expect other machines that would fall under their banner, too.

I know Starship Troopers was mentioned as potential a part of that package, but there could be very many others.

Edit: Last Action Hero was a Columbia film as well, who are a subsidiary of Sony. Terminator 3 as well, but we all know the licensing probs they had to overcome with T2, so it counts that out. Doing some research (aka bored at work), these could all be potentials:

Starship Troopers (Sega)
Last Action Hero (DE)
Terminator 3 (Stern)
Godzilla (Sega)

If I had to put money on it, I'd say it's a lock that Johnny Mnemonic was included in that deal. Also potentially LAH or ST (maybe even Godzilla) but JM is definitely the most popular of the bunch.

Further fuelling these Ghostbusters rumours perhaps.

Still, Last Action Hero I remember as being a pretty good table. I'm not familiar with the others in that list. I didn't know there even was a Starship Troopers table.

Looks like The Addams Family kickstarter is going to make it pretty comfortably. Obviously, there's still more than half way to go, but it's tracking well ahead of where it needs to be.

And that's awesome.

If we're talking Data East tables, then we're talking a lot of potential licensing problems for tables that aren't that great. Jurassic Park is a great table... but everyone is on the backglass and table art on that thing. Potentially a kickstarter, given how well TAF is doing.

Judge Dredd... yeah. Seems too complex licensing wise and not popular enough.

Starship Troopers (Sega)
Last Action Hero (DE)
Terminator 3 (Stern)
Godzilla (Sega)

I have a local friend with a Starship Troopers table, i enjoyed it. I'd love to have it, just because it would put Sega tables in the mix too, pretty much getting most of the major players that made pinball tables into Pinball Arcade.

Shaneus

Judge Dredd... yeah. Seems too complex licensing wise and not popular enough.
Nah, Dredd would be a piece of piss. Remember, it's only based on the comic so the only license they'd need would be from the comic author/publisher. No voices, music (unless there's something licensed in there, I've never played it), likenesses or anything else.

I have a local friend with a Starship Troopers table, i enjoyed it. I'd love to have it, just because it would put Sega tables in the mix too, pretty much getting most of the major players that made pinball tables into Pinball Arcade.
I think a Sega table is pretty much guaranteed. Whether it's Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (which uses the bigger DMD, so who knows), Starship Troopers or something else again... hell, even South Park could be likely. I mean, they licensed their name to Chef's Luv Shack on Dreamcast, they should be open to anything ;)

Actually, I'm going to call it. Sometime in the future, we *will* see South Park on TPA. The license is now owned by Parker/Stone, and they seem like the sort of guys who'd be open to it. Might depend on other voices used on the machine (did Isaac Hayes make an appearance?) but I reckon their OK would be a lock.

Nah, Dredd would be a piece of piss. Remember, it's only based on the comic so the only license they'd need would be from the comic author/publisher. No voices, music (unless there's something licensed in there, I've never played it), likenesses or anything else.

I think a Sega table is pretty much guaranteed. Whether it's Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (which uses the bigger DMD, so who knows), Starship Troopers or something else again... hell, even South Park could be likely. I mean, they licensed their name to Chef's Luv Shack on Dreamcast, they should be open to anything ;)

Actually, I'm going to call it. Sometime in the future, we *will* see South Park on TPA. The license is now owned by Parker/Stone, and they seem like the sort of guys who'd be open to it. Might depend on other voices used on the machine (did Isaac Hayes make an appearance?) but I reckon their OK would be a lock.
Rebellion (the video game company) own the comic books these days. I figure they'd be fairly open to it. I thought it was based on the movie, but yeah, if it's just based on the comic that'd be easy.

I was just reminiscing about Gottleib's Elm Street table... I doubt we'll see that though. Back when New Line were independent there'd have been a chance. As far as Gottleib's go, it was a pretty good table when it was working properly... and mechanical issues aren't a problem in TPA.

Shaneus

Rebellion (the video game company) own the comic books these days. I figure they'd be fairly open to it. I thought it was based on the movie, but yeah, if it's just based on the comic that'd be easy.

I was just reminiscing about Gottleib's Elm Street table... I doubt we'll see that though. Back when New Line were independent there'd have been a chance. As far as Gottleib's go, it was a pretty good table when it was working properly... and mechanical issues aren't a problem in TPA.
I think Elm St. might also fit under the Sony banner? Could be one of the titles hinted at by FS in this "package". I've never seen the playfield let alone played it, but it'd be an interesting get for them.

I think Elm St. might also fit under the Sony banner? Could be one of the titles hinted at by FS in this "package". I've never seen the playfield let alone played it, but it'd be an interesting get for them.

Time Warner own them I believe. So they're under the same umbrella as Tales from the Crypt, but not part of Sony.

Shaneus

You're probably right. I just remember seeing the name pop up in my travels yesterday, but probably not relating to Sony. On that note, Time-Warner looks like they'd be a VERY valuable partner to have. All the good licensed stuff seemed to be from them. When I say good licensed, I mean mostly Bally/WMS.

TAF Kickstarter at 45% funded after four days, so it's tracking behind the performance of both TZ and ST:tNG.

I remain optimistic, but I really need FS to give more updates/support to this kickstarter and work harder to get the word out.

TAF Kickstarter at 45% funded after four days, so it's tracking behind the performance of both TZ and ST:tNG.

I remain optimistic, but I really need FS to give more updates/support to this kickstarter and work harder to get the word out.

They really, really need to get the word out to all the mainstream video game sites, blogs and youtube channels but I feel like they don't know how to do that.

Shaneus

So I'm going to this little pinball thing next week in a different state (in NSW, Australia. I live in Victoria) and I see this on FB:
QYD0yGf.png

I may not have been that excited to see it, but hey... new pinball is new pinball!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm transitioning to playing more on my phone. Once I get the Note 4, I'll have SO much screen...And it plays great on Android.

Shaneus

Do we have any idea on what the new table is in the last newsletter? I think it's another car one.
People are saying it's Phantom of the Opera. That car is some kind of Cadillac, but it's the same one used in the movie Christine (the Stephen King one). Christine is the name of the lead character in POTO.

It also fits with the whole Halloween thing.

Edit:
Completely different story: For those of you curious/concerned about the Thunderbirds pin and the company making it (Homepin), here's the first project to come out of their factory. These are authorised recreations/reproductions of a well-known cocktail cabinet style designed and made in Australia MANY years ago, the Hankin cocktail cab:
5WobwTN.jpg

thIqnZo.jpg

The top pic is the glass they screenprinted themselves, and the second is their production line/warehouse or whatever. So if you had doubts they were capable of building a pinball machine on a large scale... do not fear!

Edit: This is what an original (I think) one looks like:
R8crXHB.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Regretfully sold my Star Trek due to some very large unexpected bills that came up. On the bright side, wife and I paid off our credit card debt as a result of it! Haha

I'm now on the prowl for a Pirates machine. A local guy may be able to get me a routed one for $3k, which is awesome. A little TLC and I'll have a nice PotC for a great price!

Shaneus

Regretfully sold my Star Trek due to some very large unexpected bills that came up. On the bright side, wife and I paid off our credit card debt as a result of it! Haha

I'm now on the prowl for a Pirates machine. A local guy may be able to get me a routed one for $3k, which is awesome. A little TLC and I'll have a nice PotC for a great price!
Oh boo :( Hopefully you didn't lose too much money on it (if you didn't make any). On a similar note, a good friend of mine (who owns the STLE) is very tempted to put money down on a TWDLE, after he checks out a pro this weekend at Pinfest in Newcastle (Australia). As a result, he'll likely be looking at ditching his Rollergames. Positively no room for it in my 1BR unit, but it's in such good condition I'd hate to see it go anywhere I can't play it.

snaffles

So today I found out that despite owning all the season one and two tables for Pinball Arcade on PS3, the fact that I never bought the base game means I can't play any of them unless I resubscribe to PS+ or pay the $15 to unlock the game. I had never realised that it cost anything and just assumed the shell part of the game was free. It must have been one of the free PS+ games at some point. No particular point to this post really it is on me for not realising it, but it is annoying having $90 worth of stuff I paid for be unavailable to me unless I pay another $15 to access the shell that holds it all. /rant

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh boo :( Hopefully you didn't lose too much money on it (if you didn't make any). On a similar note, a good friend of mine (who owns the STLE) is very tempted to put money down on a TWDLE, after he checks out a pro this weekend at Pinfest in Newcastle (Australia). As a result, he'll likely be looking at ditching his Rollergames. Positively no room for it in my 1BR unit, but it's in such good condition I'd hate to see it go anywhere I can't play it.

Sold it for what I bought it for ($5800), so it was a wash. I was willing to lose about $200-300, but I got an offer for what it was worth and called it a day.

TWD looks neat, but it looks JUST like MET. Like, so damn similar. And the crossbow on the LE looks a bit gimmicky...

Vyse24

So I see the kickstarter just FELL something like $8000. Yeesh. A big fake pledge? Do we know why else that would have happened?
Yeah someone pledged a big amount days ago only to take it back this morning. At least the Kickstarter is still on track to succeed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sold it for what I bought it for ($5800), so it was a wash. I was willing to lose about $200-300, but I got an offer for what it was worth and called it a day.

TWD looks neat, but it looks JUST like MET. Like, so damn similar. And the crossbow on the LE looks a bit gimmicky...

I'm sure it will play very well, but yeah aesthetically for a home audience I don't think it's the best. Even just the stupid giant 'AMC' is such a bummer. Then again I'm biased against super adult themes so :p.

Shaneus

Yup, my thoughts exactly on how it looks. A listener wrote into the most recent C2C (who I met in Texas, actually) was disappointed that Borg was saying it's his most exciting (or ambitious) design yet, but it just looks incredibly generic. I'll know this weekend what the Pro feels like, at least!

Glad you didn't lose any money on STLE, too. Do you have any money left over from the sale? Might be a good excuse to buy something budget from the 80s or 90s rather than a newer Stern, just to mix it up. I'd also recommend RBION, I still love playing it to this day and could probably be had for quite cheap nowadays.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yup, my thoughts exactly on how it looks. A listener wrote into the most recent C2C (who I met in Texas, actually) was disappointed that Borg was saying it's his most exciting (or ambitious) design yet, but it just looks incredibly generic. I'll know this weekend what the Pro feels like, at least!

Glad you didn't lose any money on STLE, too. Do you have any money left over from the sale? Might be a good excuse to buy something budget from the 80s or 90s rather than a newer Stern, just to mix it up. I'd also recommend RBION, I still love playing it to this day and could probably be had for quite cheap nowadays.

I looked for a RBION locally, but they just don't pop up for sale ever! It's crazy!

And I had a little left yeah, but I just tossed it into savings. I'm looking at either BSD, WCS94, or POTC at this point. I love all 3 games SO much. Just a matter of finding them! I know of a Demo Man locally for $2k that's in awesome shape, but I tend to think it's not worth that.

Shaneus

I looked for a RBION locally, but they just don't pop up for sale ever! It's crazy!

And I had a little left yeah, but I just tossed it into savings. I'm looking at either BSD, WCS94, or POTC at this point. I love all 3 games SO much. Just a matter of finding them! I know of a Demo Man locally for $2k that's in awesome shape, but I tend to think it's not worth that.
Out of those, I'd personally go for WCS. Probably the cheapest but likely probably the most beat up.

And yeah, I hear that about RBION. I think it's become less of a sleeper with it being in TPA, and perhaps word of it's build quality is getting out there, too. It doesn't feel quite as solid as classic WMS titles, but it's way more solid than anything Stern have put out over the last 5 years or so... and that's including the Premium/LE titles.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
YouTube of TWD Pro

Honestly...Not really feelin it.

E: Thinking of just buying Season 3 on my Android. I was skeptical on how it would play after so much Vita play with S1 and S2, but it works incredibly well. Not to mention, Android gets updated with Steam and iOS regularly. Need me that digital BSD and Diner (which I've decided I like more than Taxi).

MattyH

Finally got the last wizard goal on elvira and the party monsters today i know its nothing major but im kinda proud as its a fun table

Top Bottom