• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

I agree... and I think there's a massive chance they will. I'd put money on us seeing it during season 4.

Change of pace:
Some of you may have heard of Vonnie D and his/their (shadily) Kickstarter-funded game Pinball Gremlins. It was announced that Barry Oursler would have a hand in it, but with his recent assignment over to Heighway Pinball, I thought I'd look into why he's no longer working with them and the whispers regarding the fate of Pinball Gremlins.

Turns out one of the key members of Vonnie D Pinball, Wes Upchurch, has a history of manufacturing questionable "legal" synthetic drugs and could possibly go to jail. Check out Pinside for more, it looks like it's all come out via Pinside (where else?) in the last week or two.

Bit of juicy goss for y'all <3

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One of them is!. But that doesn't really mean anything... chances are they were just looking at the playfield for something to put in the next table hint for the free table.

Bah. Disappointing. I really want that one.

Anyone else have a clue as to what the next game is? I can't possibly see how that is Starship Troopers related.

Shaneus

Bah. Disappointing. I really want that one.

Anyone else have a clue as to what the next game is? I can't possibly see how that is Starship Troopers related.
It's definitely ST, FS confirmed it themselves.

crazy van dien -> casper van dien
rico motors -> johnny rico character

though considering they blatantly announce in the newsletter that starship troopers is next, im not sure why they'd still do the clue

Vyse24

Well I think the next 2 tables after ST are The Addams Family and The Getaway, considering this:
So TPA on my mac thru Steam is getting stuck downloading The Getaway, Earthshaker,The Party Zone,The Addams family and Starship Trooper
so guess we know the next 5 of season 4

So that makes the 4 afterwards the real mystery. Personally, I'd want them to be Road Show, Indy 500, Monopoly and WCS94.

Shaneus

Sweet!

It was interesting listening to Roger Sharpe (former chief of licensing at Bally/WMS) talk about some of the licenses he struggled to get... one of them was Monopoly. I think we'd have a better chance of getting RCT if we're talking about Lawlor titles from that era. I'm not liking our chances of ever getting WCS94. Dat licensing :(

Have a hunch we'll see a TSPP Kickstarter this year, too.

Also, praying to the pinball gods we get Rollergames. But the obscure licensing may just hold it back.

Edit: So day 7 was a crappy sale, and day 8 is a crappy sale as well. Not surprised.

Mollymauk

In case it hasn't been confirmed yet, Season Two bundle on Ps4 releases tomorrow!

The long awaited Season Two and Four will be releasing on PS4 SCEA December 23rd! Just in time for christmas! Remember: Buying a season pass saves you $20 vs purchasing the tables individually.

But no discount this time to people who have the season on PS3/vita?
Yeah, if there isn't, (which would be utter bullshit given how common cross-buy is on PS platforms) then my TPA console platform becomes the X1 as it's my main platform this gen, so far. Don't mess this up, Farsight. Zen didn't.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sweet!

It was interesting listening to Roger Sharpe (former chief of licensing at Bally/WMS) talk about some of the licenses he struggled to get... one of them was Monopoly. I think we'd have a better chance of getting RCT if we're talking about Lawlor titles from that era. I'm not liking our chances of ever getting WCS94. Dat licensing :(

Have a hunch we'll see a TSPP Kickstarter this year, too.

Also, praying to the pinball gods we get Rollergames. But the obscure licensing may just hold it back.

Edit: So day 7 was a crappy sale, and day 8 is a crappy sale as well. Not surprised.

TSPP would be amazing. RCT would also be great as it's such a weird game. Give me more "lesser regarded" Stern's like RCT and WPT!

Also, I probably should buy S1/S2 with the current sale. Farsight seems to do a pretty OK job at keeping the Android version current with the PC in terms of table releases, so...

Shaneus

TSPP would be amazing. RCT would also be great as it's such a weird game. Give me more "lesser regarded" Stern's like RCT and WPT!

Also, I probably should buy S1/S2 with the current sale. Farsight seems to do a pretty OK job at keeping the Android version current with the PC in terms of table releases, so...
I wouldn't have a problem with lesser-known Sterns, but only if they give us some lesser-known older WMS titles as well :) Rollergames, Fire!, NBA Fastbreak and of course the Capcom titles like Breakshot (probably my biggest surprise game from the Aussie Pin Expo) and BBB.

PS. Day nine? Crappy sale.

lordxar

I have season 2 on PS3 but the price on PS4 is still $30 even in the checkout lane. There no discount or what? S1 had it so I just assumed S2 would as well. If not I may just skip this one, maybe buy the one table I care about...

Shaneus

I'd rather have Data East Simpsons than TSPP, but that's just my nostalgia talking.
Don't kid yourself, they're both not that great.

It'd be great to know which licenses they're lining up so we can pick which one to back, because I'm not that keen on TSPP compared to other potential licenses like The Shadow or even Judge Dredd (which I suspect would be easy for them to get, given it's only the comic book adaptation).

Vyse24

Day 10 is asking people to nominate a pre-1980s table for release next year. Don't know about you guys but I'm nominating Spirit of 76.

Bebpo

Banned
I see S2-S4 is now out on PS4. I have questions before I purchase:

1) Is the sound fucked up on the S2-S4 tables like S1 where it uses mobile sound?

2) Is the nice lighting in there for all S2-S4 tables?

Bebpo

Banned
They did!

I realized I could just try the trial versions so I booted up the PS4 version for the first time in forever and I couldn't tell if the sound was fixed. Like it sounded a lot better than I remembered. So I compared it to the PC version and the two sound different but not like one is messed up vs. the other. It's like PS4 has more bass and PC has higher treble. I dunno, it's weird hearing them side by side but PS4 sounds fine.

FINALLY.

And visually comparing S1 tables with the new lighting on PS4 to the PC version...man, some of the PC tables look really rough like Twilight Zone.

Now that sound is fixed on PS4 I'll just get the rest of the tables on PS4. When they add the lighting to Steam I'll eventually double dip during a sale just to have a version that will never die along with hardware.

Shaneus

Day 10 is asking people to nominate a pre-1980s table for release next year. Don't know about you guys but I'm nominating Spirit of 76.
0u5uYgUl.jpg

Vyse24

So Farsight may have forgotten about getting me my Earthshaker table, so I wrote them an email about that. Of course since I'm not entirely happy about this, I took my rage out on Who Dunnit, Dr. Dude and Cactus Canyon, getting all the wizard goals for them. That makes 27 tables total where I completed all the goals.

Bebpo

Banned
So ummm, I bought S2-S4 season bundles on PS4 (S4 Season Pass) and it downloaded S2/S3 tables and they work fine but the S4 table that's out (Phantom of the Opera) won't work and PSN says I own the S4 Season Pass but I don't own the table. Wth?

Vyse24

Bebpo

Banned

Vyse24

Farsight delivered with Earthshaker. Played 1 game, scored 16m+, and got all the standard goals. Think I would've gotten 1 or 2 of the wizard goals as well. Now lets see what happens when I start getting good at it.

So the sound is finally, truly fixed on the PS4? May have to give season 1 a spin again if so. Unfortunately I've pretty much moved full time to the PC for TPA.

FyreWulff

"There is no content. It might not be for sale yet, or might no longer be for sale."

Anyone getting this error on PS4 trying to demo any table? Doesn't matter which season, even the newest one.

Bebpo

Banned
So the sound is finally, truly fixed on the PS4? May have to give season 1 a spin again if so. Unfortunately I've pretty much moved full time to the PC for TPA.

It sounds weird. Like the sound is normal bitrate, but it sounds muffled and feels like it's all coming out of just the center speaker or something. Basically they used the right files but the mix is off. It's survive-able, but hopefully they improve it someday.

"There is no content. It might not be for sale yet, or might no longer be for sale."

Anyone getting this error on PS4 trying to demo any table? Doesn't matter which season, even the newest one.

Yeah it's doing that for all the tables. But if you buy S1/S2/S3 tables they'll work in-game. Their last update was a mess. They'll need to do some fixing.

jvm

Gamasutra.
What!
Why?
What dumbfounded reason have Farsight blamed for this?

Wait, what? Seriously?
Not to defend Farsight too much, but this was also true on the PS3 before the PS4 came along. There was some arbitrary limit that Farsight hit, a maximum number of trophies per title or something similar, when doing Pinball Arcade on PS3/PSV. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the next-gen equivalent -- or worse, some limit imposed on cross-platform titles in which the older platform imposes its limits on the newer one(s).

Just a possibility.

Edit: Here is the original Facebook post, perhaps.

PBivSet.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

No it's not, dunno why Bebpo would say that unless it's cause my version is the EU one... which is definitely NOT fixed, might be a bit better than at launch but it's still truly fucking horrible. Talking SEASON 1 EU here, maybe Bebpo has the U.S. download and dunno, might possibly be fixed?

Vyse24

So the last day of updates is the announcement of what tables from the nominations will be polled.

Centrigrade 37™
Fireball™
Flash™
Future Spa™
Joker Poker™
Mata Hari™
Paragon™
Royal Flush™
Spirit of 76™
Time Warp™
Xenon™

As much as Xenon and Joker Poker interest me, I'm still going with Spirit of 76.

I'd probably go with Flash or Paragon, but if Time Warp includes the original flippers, the rare banana design, it would be a pretty novel pick. Xenon would get a nod just for its aesthetics.

Bebpo

Banned
The weird thing about the trophy limit is that on PS3 they had trophies through table pack 16. On PS4 there's nothing past table pack 10.

No it's not, dunno why Bebpo would say that unless it's cause my version is the EU one... which is definitely NOT fixed, might be a bit better than at launch but it's still truly fucking horrible. Talking SEASON 1 EU here, maybe Bebpo has the U.S. download and dunno, might possibly be fixed?

On the US version, It's definitely different than launch for me. At launch it was very noticable it was using the highly compressed "tiny" sound mobile sounds instead of the PC/PS3 sounds. Felt like playing a Gameboy Emu "retro" sound.

Now it sounds normal, just mixed pretty badly with bass shot up high and treble too low resulting in a muffled sound that is very center-speaker focused (need to test if it's using any other speakers).

On the December PS4 update list it says "audio/sound improvements" so they definitely changed stuff (at least in the US version) this month.

This is on S1-S4; they all sound the same from quick testing.

Benedict

Not to defend Farsight too much, but this was also true on the PS3 before the PS4 came along. There was some arbitrary limit that Farsight hit, a maximum number of trophies per title or something similar, when doing Pinball Arcade on PS3/PSV. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the next-gen equivalent -- or worse, some limit imposed on cross-platform titles in which the older platform imposes its limits on the newer one(s).

Just a possibility.

Edit: Here is the original Facebook post, perhaps.

PBivSet.png

But doesn't Zen Pinball have trophies for every table they release?

jvm

Gamasutra.
But doesn't Zen Pinball have trophies for every table they release?
Isn't Zen making new tables as new titles? Like the Star Wars tables? And the newer Xmen tables? They're not all one unified application, right? If they're different applications then they can probably have different trophy sets...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So the last day of updates is the announcement of what tables from the nominations will be polled.

Centrigrade 37™
Fireball™
Flash™
Future Spa™
Joker Poker™
Mata Hari™
Paragon™
Royal Flush™
Spirit of 76™
Time Warp™
Xenon™

As much as Xenon and Joker Poker interest me, I'm still going with Spirit of 76.
Do I have to choose one? I want all of them.

Benedict

Isn't Zen making new tables as new titles? Like the Star Wars tables? And the newer Xmen tables? They're not all one unified application, right? If they're different applications then they can probably have different trophy sets...

No, not on consoles, that is only on iOS and Android.

snaffles

Really? Because my recollection was that Star Wars pinball was a standalone application on ps3/PSV.

It is, there is also Marvel Pinball, however all of the tables from both are still available in the base Zen Pinball/Pinball FX2 games.

Top Bottom