• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Xenon officially won the poll.

Guess I don't understand the popularity.

Shaneus

I sure hope the other nine games show up eventually.
The appeal is in the sexy woman voice. That's literally about it. We'd better damn well see Flash. If any of those games deserves to be in a museum, it's that. First game to have background sounds and first game to have flashers (hence it's name).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The appeal is in the sexy woman voice. That's literally about it. We'd better damn well see Flash. If any of those games deserves to be in a museum, it's that. First game to have background sounds and first game to have flashers (hence it's name).

Still, I want all of them. It would be nice to have some more EM games, and Flash too.

Still waiting on Eight Ball Deluxe btw.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
The appeal is in the sexy woman voice. That's literally about it.

A gorgeous backglass, tons of history, right there with Rollergames for best butt in pinball history. Suzanne Ciani as the first female voice in a game. http://youtu.be/WWxZ0DLDnWQ

Paragon *is* a better game and I'm probably biased since I own both pins, but I'm glad it was Xenon... that said Future Spa was my real hope, so what do I know

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still, I want all of them. It would be nice to have some more EM games, and Flash too.

Still waiting on Eight Ball Deluxe btw.

I'm still kind of shocked this hasn't been released yet. I really want Police Force, but I haven't heard any rumors of that happening.

I sure hope the other nine games show up eventually.

Well, at least half of them, anyway. I mean, they're running out of tables to digitize and the same price for each new season as they drift further and further away from the best-rated and most popular ones becomes a tougher sell. I love old electro-mechanical tables IRL, but they just don't hold up nearly as well to me in virtual form. Whatever they choose, I hope they mainly stay with solid state tables from the late '70s and 80s first. Still a lot of pre-DMD tables from the '80s that I wonder why haven't made the jump yet.

Shaneus

Still a lot of pre-DMD tables from the '80s that I wonder why haven't made the jump yet.
Harder to sell. They don't have the depth of DMD games (in general) and obviously aren't as showy. I'm with you though, I'd love to see more of them. Rollergames and F-14 being standouts.

Harder to sell. They don't have the depth of DMD games (in general) and obviously aren't as showy. I'm with you though, I'd love to see more of them. Rollergames and F-14 being standouts.

The may not have the ruleset depth of DMD stuff, true, but they certainly tend to have greater challenge level and invite the most intense, fast-playing gameplay. Also helps to get in the zone much easier when you're not constantly being distracted by the animations and video modes.

Shaneus

Oh, forgot to say I scored 1.14b on TAF during my lunch break today. I need to stop putting in $5 for three credits, I usually wind up with at least 2 left at the end of the session :/

The may not have the ruleset depth of DMD stuff, true, but they certainly tend to have greater challenge level and invite the most intense, fast-playing gameplay. Also helps to get in the zone much easier when you're not constantly being distracted by the animations and video modes.
Not disagreeing with you at all, and like I said I'm right with ya. But they're a much harder sell to the non-intense game playing public.

Velinos

I finally made it out to a local, monthly tournament this week. The machines played were Bally Atlantis, Stern Star Trek, World Cup Soccer '94, and Addam's Family. I placed 12th out of 19, which I surprised by because I have never played these machines before and am not very good at pinball in general. I was even more surprised by how friendly and welcoming everyone was. Other hobbies that I have done in the past tended to have a lot of people who you would need to put in the time and effort before they warm up to you, but I did not get any of that feeling from the local pinball crowd. As far as my thought on the games:

Bally Atlantis - This a fun, simpler machine. Not sure on the exact rules, but it has a jackpot that increases the longer it goes without anyone hitting it. This had just been rotated in at the location and no one hit the jackpot that night.

Stern Star Trek - This had the latest code update. It and AC/DC are the only Stern machines that I have played and I like this one better. Lots of cool modes, but it seems to derive down to always shooting the middle. It also caught me off guard with the delay on the rescue ball; I lost a ball during the tournament because I grabbed my beer before I realized I got one and couldn't set it down in time to save it.

World Cup Soccer '94 - I am not a fan of soccer, but I really liked this game. Lots of cool shots and the spinning ball is different. Only got one game on this one, so I'll have to play it some more to get a better feel for it.

Addam's Family - Several people warned me about this one because it has a slick clearcoat that makes it really fast. On my first ball, it hit a couple pop bumpers and immediately drained. I didn't even have a chance to hit the flippers and stared for a few seconds afterward, dumbfounded. I think I hit 4 million, but I didn't feel so bad because the others in my group didn't do much better. I'll need some practice on this machine especially before next month.

Lettuce

I presume no one has seen it here yet...

But one of the programmers who works for Double Fine, in his spare time...

MADE A VR MOD FOR THE PINBALL ARCADE.

HOLY JESUS.

Seriously. The implementation is rough, but once you get it properly set up...

ITS AMAZING. I just played a bunch of BK2K... and a table like that benefits SO much from positional tracking. I'm uploading a video right now, but it'll take a while.

But seriously.

It is AMAZING.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-vrcade

Doesnt Pinball VRcade work with the latest version of Pinball Arcade anymore? Have copied over the 2 files to my Pinball Arcade install but when i double click on the launcher.exe nothing happens or when i drag the pinball arcade.exe over to the launcher.exe again nothing happens

To dig up the conversation of pinball themes... it seems the dedicated players feel much more strongly about theme than I thought. We all finally talked about Wrestlemania (this is our life), most players aren't excited and it seems to have nothing to do with the design.

Now, there are few enough dedicated players, on average, in the world that I don't think the theme itself should have to appeal to people who play pin no matter what. The idea for an operator is that people who don't play stop and say, 'I have to try this'

Wrestling has a big enough following in number that I think that could be true. The big players really talked about it like it was only for people who loved WWE. I don't agree but I can see the point. South Park is still the most played game in all it's location just because people want to hear 20 year ago SP sound clips.

I wonder if the WWF theme will keep some people away, but I feel more sure that it won't really bring in more players. The Walking Dead (show) is really popular and I think the game is awesome but it's not getting much play at location from what I hear. I would have guessed that as a theme that would bring players in but it doesn't seem the case.

So I think theme is super important but I have no idea why or what causes it. It's not just the name or the backglass or the attract mode. I think you have maybe 10 seconds while a person looks at a pinball machine to convince them to play it and I'm not sure what attracts people the most, aside from having a universally recognizable name...like southpark.

Velinos

You can no longer try out pinball tables in pinball arcade. Wonder why they changed their mind.

What platform? I just checked the Android version and I could still play free trials. I know the Steam version recently added a popup ad that you need to click through to play subsequent runs of a free trial. The PS3 version never let me play anything (even TOTAN) without first purchasing it. Not sure about other platforms.

Shaneus

What platform? I just checked the Android version and I could still play free trials. I know the Steam version recently added a popup ad that you need to click through to play subsequent runs of a free trial. The PS3 version never let me play anything (even TOTAN) without first purchasing it. Not sure about other platforms.
I was able to play trial versions of all tables on PS4, too. Was a little while ago, haven't checked recently.

Endo Punk

That would be the PS4 version. Tried the game the other day and there was a content update, after downloading I started the game and noticed there were new challenges and tables, none of which I could play even as a trial like last year. Now you have to own the tables to play them at all.

Did anyone have more problems than usual with balls going through things lately (PS3)? Almost everytime I've played lately the ball just goes stright through things now and then.

Terminator head on T2, trunk on Theatre, neutral zone on Star Trek, bike on Harley, coffin on Scared Stiff. The ball just seem to go right through more often than before lately.

I'm getting tired of encountering the same game-breaking bugs on some tables that has been there for years. They usually happen when you're having a great game too.

I was on my way to my best ever score on Star Trek the other day. I was about to start Final Frontier for the second time (second ball - 4-5 extra balls) when the flippers just stopped responding and I couldn't do anything else than exit the game.

They used Ripley's in a tournament lately. I'm on my best score ever with ten minutes to go and several extra balls when it suddenly ends and says "score posted" when my second ball drains.

In another tournament lately they used Firepower. Once again I have my best score ever already on the first ball. The ball drains and the bonus just keeps counting. After 10 minutes I exit.

How can these bugs be around years after the tables were released? Are they even trying to fix them?

Shaneus

I know Ripley's had (I can't remember on which platform) a bug where it didn't recognise extra balls properly or something, so after three balls (but including EBs) it would end your game. It might've even been across all platforms but only fixed on a few. Given the infrequency of fixes/patches on PS3, it wouldn't surprise me if the bug is still there.

is downsampling via DSR possible in this? looking forward to buying once the new lighting is added.
I downsample by using a registry modification for my ATI card... I'm not sure what DSR actually is? But yeah, I run at 1440p (both landscape and portrait) on my 1080p monitor.

PS. Everyone should listen to the most recent Broken Token podcast episode, they have an interview with John Trudeau talking very thoroughly on WWE. I've gone through about 15 mins on it and I'm really liking the sound of it now!

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I picked up Season 1 in the PSN sale two weeks ago, since it was impossible to resist at $15.

There are so many amazing tables here. Medieval Madness, Bride of Pinbot, and Star Trek TNG are just such great choices.

Currently, however, Scared Stiff is my absolute favorite table. I love the clearly defined goals, I love the many chances for an extra ball, and I love the virtual absence of lost balls in the side gutters (or whatever the technical term is). The added Elvira voice-over and charm is just icing on the cake.

Shaneus

Everyone should listen to that Broken Token podcast I mentioned a few posts back. Trudeau mentions the new board system (SPIKE) that Stern are running, and the OS it runs on: Linux. So they're basically running a mini PC of sorts (I guess).

Headed to MAGFest tomorrow, they usually have a solid 6-8 pinball tables, would be nice to play some real tables for once haha.

Speaking of, are we not getting a table this month? Or am i just forgetting which table we got?

Shaneus

Headed to MAGFest tomorrow, they usually have a solid 6-8 pinball tables, would be nice to play some real tables for once haha.

Speaking of, are we not getting a table this month? Or am i just forgetting which table we got?
Starship Troopers.

Farsight have been incredibly quiet on the update front, though. And we should be getting that table this weekend. Usually they'd have been pimping a livestream tomorrow (or today) but I've heard zilch.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Everyone should listen to that Broken Token podcast I mentioned a few posts back. Trudeau mentions the new board system (SPIKE) that Stern are running, and the OS it runs on: Linux. So they're basically running a mini PC of sorts (I guess).

Im excited to get a closer look at the WWE game for this reason. Hopefully one shows up on location around me soon. The massive wiring harness days are over, since theyre using multiple cpus throughout the machine that communicate with each other by a single wire. USB port and linux gives me hope for people cooking up homebrew stuff and Im sure we will eventually have wifi support for global high scores and connected player profiles. Cool stuff, took them long enough!

Vyse24

Starship Troopers.

Farsight have been incredibly quiet on the update front, though. And we should be getting that table this weekend. Usually they'd have been pimping a livestream tomorrow (or today) but I've heard zilch.

Ask and ye shall receive. They just announced that they will be streaming tonight.

New retro arcade opening up in Socal.

iOu8XPhAnqB7u.jpg

I never played TMNT or WCS before, I'm kind of excited to go.

Shaneus

Im excited to get a closer look at the WWE game for this reason. Hopefully one shows up on location around me soon. The massive wiring harness days are over, since theyre using multiple cpus throughout the machine that communicate with each other by a single wire. USB port and linux gives me hope for people cooking up homebrew stuff and Im sure we will eventually have wifi support for global high scores and connected player profiles. Cool stuff, took them long enough!
Same. Although they're a bit late on the global high score support though... that was implemented (and is still running, but on unofficial servers) for Pin2K.

The only thing I don't like about the new method for manufacturing (and they went this way with the Medieval remake as well) is surface-mounted LEDs. Zero chance for modding at all, which is a shame. I think Spooky stuck with traditional lights for theirs, but yeah... future not looking so bright for customising new pins (at least, beyond playfield toys). Excited about what a Linux platform will bring though, especially given it's capable of playing FMV (thanks to the Jumbotron on the WWE LE). Bet (hope) it gets hacked super quickly. Maybe there'll even be a way to perhaps retrofit older pins with the new system (a la P-ROC).

Ask and ye shall receive. They just announced that they will be streaming tonight.
Just noticed it on their FB. Took them long enough!

I never played TMNT or WCS before, I'm kind of excited to go.
WCS is great, I think you'll love it (as nicoga here can testify)... but some people (like a friend of mine) aren't fans, so brace yourself. But TMNT is definitely a bit of a turd though, looks okay but doesn't play all that great (like most DE's of the era).

So after giving up on the 360 version, I just notice the other day that the game is now on Xbox One. How is the Xbox One version? Thanks for any input and info. It seems the Xbox One version have the table up to Season 3.

Lettuce

So after giving up on the 360 version, I just notice the other day that the game is now on Xbox One. How is the Xbox One version? Thanks for any input and info. It seems the Xbox One version have the table up to Season 3.

Yeah XB1 version is sweet has the DX11 lighting and as you said all tables up to season 3 atm, but we should start seeing S4 tables as of next month

What tables did they have?

I don't have pics yet (I need a new damned phone) but over the holidays I picked up a Bon Voyage super cheap. Bought it as-is; The back glass is %100 perfect, the field is ok (standard old-paint cracks) and is in decent shape.

The fuse brackets were broken but we got that fixed easily enough and now it turns on and mostly plays (The lane doesn't kick out balls but that's fine for now). The guts of these EM's are just crazy so I'm glad I have access to people who know more about them than I do. One of my roomates has gotten into Pinball with us and wants to convert it into an Archer themed table. I told them to go for it. It should be interesting.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
fun table! except the extra flipper..haven't figured out a good keyboard layout for that
but otherwise good times..Definitely gotta throw the movie on now

How is the Xbox One version? Thanks for any input and info. It seems the Xbox One version have the table up to Season 3.
Excellent, actually, seeming to be every bit the same if not a slight bit better than the PS4 version, but that's only because I hear very little whining about the sound quality on X1 versus PS4, though it feels a bit behind with options where you are currently unable to remap the flippers from the analogue triggers to the bumpers if you wanted. I personally love the Xbox versions because MS either mandates Xbox-only leaderboards, making competition much more fair and approachable, or because FarSight makes sure it is the only version going that doesn't share scores with all of the other platforms combined. Yes, it does have bugs, as does every version I play, which is all of them apart from the iOS version. Nothing game-breaking, though.
Yeah XB1 version is sweet has the DX11 lighting and as you said all tables up to season 3 atm, but we should start seeing S3 tables as of next month
Season 4 tables seem to have some kind of console exclusivity window on Sony platforms currently, but I can't imagine it will be very long before X1 starts receiving them as S2 hit PS4 about a month after the X1 got S1, S2, S3 all at once. That's FarSight, alright, playing the field every way they can and seeming to annoy everyone in the process.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
so...CA Extreme. I actually want to go again this year but my first experience last year was WAY too few open machines and way too crowded. :/

Shaneus

Starship Troopers is the very definition of an average game. There's nothing about it to love and the third flipper is completely useless.

Plinko

Starship Troopers is the very definition of an average game. There's nothing about it to love and the third flipper is completely useless.

Agreed. I was disappointed with that announcement.

Shaneus

Agreed. I was disappointed with that announcement.
There's absolutely nothing about it that's interesting. I know this was because of the licensing with Sony or something, but they could've saved their time. Shit, I would've taken Sharkey's Shootout over this.

Top Bottom