• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Carm

Is there any tables in S2 like S1 Scared Stiff, defaulting to family mode? Trying to decide if I should grab the Pro or Standard pack.

UberTag

Thanks for the link btw, I posted in the thread (and e-mailed Farsight support), so hopefully they address it. Normally I'm not ASAP picky about bugs, but when you pay money and don't get the item you paid for that makes me a little annoyed.
I have the same issue. Unable to access the Phantom of the Opera table on PS4 at all despite having paid for the Season 4 Pro Pass.
Farsight has a knack of making me feel dirtier buying their DLC than I do for some freemium games. That takes talent.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i really seem to prefer DMD pinball games for their story and complexity of goals.
are any of the tables on the poll like that at all? or just straight combo shot ,highscore tables?
I've never played any of them except i remember spirit of 76

Shaneus

Can't believe Xenon is getting so many votes, especially considering it shouldn't even qualify for the poll :/

Everyone vote for Flash!

I'm so confused about which version to buy. I think I will mainly play on Vita but would like to experience the tables on PS4, they're not cross buy though are they?

The retail PS4 disc contains all season one tables, right?
If buy that is there any way of getting a discount on season one for Vita or would I have to buy it full price?

Hanzou

An off chance someone can answer this but I thought I would ask. Has anybody but a desk mount or wall monitor/TV mount that allows you to rotate into portrait mode for relatively cheap? I have played Pinball Arcade with my monitor turned sideways leaned against the wall to test it and this game in portrait mode is astonishing. It improves the game so much.

I have looked around and they seem to cost like $100. I was hoping to snag one for under $50. I only have a 23 inch monitor.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Happy New Year to all of you fellow pinball enthusiasts. This past year, the impossible happened with The Addams Family becoming licensed, and I have hopes anything can happen this year.

For me, I am really wishing for WCS 94, Red and Ted's Roadshow, Bad Cats, Jackbot, and F-14 Tomcat.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Happy New Year to all of you fellow pinball enthusiasts. This past year, the impossible happened with The Addams Family becoming licensed, s I have hopes anything can happen this year.

For me, I am really wishing for WCS 94, Red and Ted's Roadshow, Bad Cats, Jackbot, and F-14 Tomcat.
Add Indy 500 to that list and you've got my wish list. Here's to 2015!

Lettuce

Hang on!, so because a table won the previous poll that either the mods or FarSight or both didnt like they've decided to ignore that poll and do another?.

If Xenon was ahead and won the last poll then thats the table that should be made, whats the point of having polls if no one takes any noticed of the out come!?.But FarSight should really consider doing a 2 table pack for these tables as none stand up on their own for a single table purchase.

FyreWulff

I think they're seeing what people like with less tables in play

Eliminate some people's fringe favorites and see what they want out of a smaller set to get more data on what's wanted by the general community

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They're crazy if they charge full price for one of those tables in a single pack. No way that sells well.

Shaneus

Happy New Year to all of you fellow pinball enthusiasts. This past year, the impossible happened with The Addams Family becoming licensed, and I have hopes anything can happen this year.

I'd love to see F-14 and WCS from your list, wouldn't mind Road Show and am praying for the lighting upgrade to hit PCs sooner rather than later.

I'm hanging for some more obscure-ish 80s tables, too. Fathom, Flash, Iron Maiden, and Spirit are all up there as being tables I'd rather see over most DMD titles.

Hang on!, so because a table won the previous poll that either the mods or FarSight or both didnt like they've decided to ignore that poll and do another?.

If Xenon was ahead and won the last poll then thats the table that should be made, whats the point of having polls if no one takes any noticed of the out come!?.But FarSight should really consider doing a 2 table pack for these tables as none stand up on their own for a single table purchase.
Xenon shouldn't have even been in the poll :/

I was more hoping for Flash anyway, but not many people voted for it :(

Shaneus

Word is you can only get the extra balls if you're a subscriber to the WWE Network.
Extra balls are actually smaller than the regular ones because steroids.

Pinside has also confirmed the new title. Looks like Trudeau's second game for Stern is gonna be another bad seller (Mustang I believe was their lowest for quite some time). Here's hoping we see Steve Ritchie's current project this year.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I used to really enjoy the WWF Royal Rumble table from the 1990s.

Oh the DE WWFRR is AMAZING. I wish I could find one for a good price. But the decision for Stern to pick up WWE right now is just weird. I mean, I'd love to hear WHY they opted to go with it.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Oh the DE WWFRR is AMAZING. I wish I could find one for a good price. But the decision for Stern to pick up WWE right now is just weird. I mean, I'd love to hear WHY they opted to go with it.

i get that its a silly theme, but i can't figure out why people think this is such a bad business decision. wwe has a massive and massively loyal audience. they do half a billion a year in revenues, have an online subscription service approaching a million subscribers and regularly dominate ratings in 18-49 against everything that isnt the NFL. if stern can survive world poker tour and big buck hunter, i'd say they should be fine here

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
i get that its a silly theme, but i can't figure out why people think this is such a bad business decision. wwe has a massive and massively loyal audience. they do half a billion a year in revenues, have an online subscription service approaching a million subscribers and regularly dominate ratings in 18-49 against everything that isnt the NFL. if stern can survive world poker tour and big buck hunter, i'd say they should be fine here

From a VERY trusted/knowledgeable source on the matter:

Certain someone said:
The WWE is pretty much ice cold right now from a business perspective. Make no mistake, they're not going out of business anytime soon but they've had some real miscues from the business side of things and appear to have no interest in creating new stars outside of their top pick, which is Roman Reigns.

They launched the WWE Network, which is an amazing deal for wrestling fans: $10 a month and you get oodles or old archived content as well as all their pay-per-views. Since the ppvs by themselves were over $50 each, that's great...for fans. However, you just gave away a TON of your biggest revenue stream.

The bigger issue was they were telling shareholders that they were expecting upwards of four million subscribers. As they only get about four million people watching Raw on a given week, this was completely absurd. More laughable was them claiming that over half the citizens of the USA had "an affinity" for WWE. Seriously, every other person you see on the street? They're a WWE fan! They've been able to get about 600,000 folks worldwide to subscribe, so yeah, those numbers were completely overblown.

They also were promising enormous TV rights fee increases to shareholders. This made sense as every live event show has been getting ridiculous increases, even shows that get 1/10th the ratings WWE does. However, that didn't happen, as no one wanted to bid on something that gets borderline advertisers. If you watch Raw sometime, see how many car ads there are. Answer: zero. The WWE fanbase is a lower income group...which may hurt Stern's efforts to sell machines. Now that said, I know folks that will spend thousands of dollars on memorabilia, so there are folks out there who will buy it. How many? No idea.

I will say that I think it will do well on route. I have fans that hunt down WWFRR machines just to play on location. Yes, they still exist in the wild. ;)

The little I've seen of the design of the machine has me interested. I have very little interest in current roster outside of a few guys they don't deem worthy to showcase, but apparently the LE version is all legends...which will be very interesting.

So it IS a very odd business decision. :p

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
not sure how missed financials and upset investors equate to pinball sales. the ppv's might've been 50$ but the provider (comcast, etc) took a significant cut of that, wwe likely only saw 20-25$, im sure that had some financials done to say this would be more profitable for them at x subscriber count. lets not act like wwe isnt a massive entity with a massive following. even the quote admits it'll probably do well on route and there's a large chunk of pinball die hards willing to drop bank on any game they find fun. im also excited to see stern implementing some new technology and the homebrew community that springs out of a pinball running linux w/ usb should be cool to follow

i cant believe im defending a wwe pinball

Shaneus

From a VERY trusted/knowledgeable source on the matter:
Who was that source? I recall reading it on Pinside, but can't remember who said it (but their name didn't stick out). Nate's most recent C2C episode discussed WWE quite heavily, and he offered some solid insights as to just how popular WWE still is and why it as a pinball theme isn't such a stupid thing.

I was having a look over the layout and I think I actually don't mind it. The "ring" and the flipper-activated slingshots are a really neat idea, and I like the quasi-theming of the three rubbers around the playfiled to correspond with the ropes on a ring. On the layout:
SDqyNr1.jpg

And if I may:
9dkVwS7.png

The pink shots are nice, long and tight/punishing. They'll add a great feel to the game and give it a good sense of speed.
The green shot will be a fun one, being similar to the leftmost shot on Centaur and a little like the Fuel shot on MET (except it appears to follow-through rather than just stop). Red drops aren't at all dangerous (especially compared to the GEARS targets on Mustang) and the right bank of stand-ups (blue) should be challenging without being too risky.

Analysing it, I think I kinda like the layout. And it seems to incorporate the theme better than I would've expected.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
not sure how missed financials and upset investors equate to pinball sales. the ppv's might've been 50$ but the provider (comcast, etc) took a significant cut of that, wwe likely only saw 20-25$, im sure that had some financials done to say this would be more profitable for them at x subscriber count. lets not act like wwe isnt a massive entity with a massive following. even the quote admits it'll probably do well on route and there's a large chunk of pinball die hards willing to drop bank on any game they find fun. im also excited to see stern implementing some new technology and the homebrew community that springs out of a pinball running linux w/ usb should be cool to follow

i cant believe im defending a wwe pinball

Theme alone can kill a game. Look at Mustang. The game is fun (from what I hear), but NOBODY bought it. I think WWE looks great from pictures, but I just think Stern made a bizarre choice. If you know the pinball community, you know that while some will buy the latest and greatest, a LOT speak with their wallet. If the game is good, people will buy (assuming the theme isn't Mustang, right?).

Who was that source? I recall reading it on Pinside, but can't remember who said it (but their name didn't stick out). Nate's most recent C2C episode discussed WWE quite heavily, and he offered some solid insights as to just how popular WWE still is and why it as a pinball theme isn't such a stupid thing.

Analysing it, I think I kinda like the layout. And it seems to incorporate the theme better than I would've expected.

It's a local pinhead, friend, and author of a few books on the subject of WWE. Also the owner of this site: WrestleCrap He's sort of an "expert" on the industry, haha.

Theme alone can kill a game. Look at Mustang. The game is fun (from what I hear), but NOBODY bought it. I think WWE looks great from pictures, but I just think Stern made a bizarre choice. If you know the pinball community, you know that while some will buy the latest and greatest, a LOT speak with their wallet. If the game is good, people will buy (assuming the theme isn't Mustang, right?).

It's a local pinhead, friend, and author of a few books on the subject of WWE. Also the owner of this site: WrestleCrap He's sort of an "expert" on the industry, haha.

All the operators I spoke to about Mustang said they thought the theme worked, but the game isn't very good. I feel like I liked Mustang far more than anyone else I know who plays. I think it's a really good game, but if you are talking about getting people walking past a table to stop and play, than THEME IS KING. The table that brings in the most money at the local places is STILL SouthPark and I think that's a terrible table. We don't even use it in tournaments...ever.

A WWE table would do better than Mustang, but I don't see it stopping people for quarters.

In Local pin-news - They figured final points for the state finals and somehow I got 3rd in Colorado. I'm amazed because I barely qualified last year. Now, I had a great year overall, but I feel like my game has taken a step back. Maybe I got lucky and maybe everyone is just better this year and I got some key wins. Either way, its huge because it means I won't have to play Adam Leftkoff or Donovan Step in the first round

They are having it on Feb 7 up in Lyons. Unfortunately I've moved farther south and been broke so I haven't gone up there in 6 months. I'm going to HAVE to find a day to play because it's not like playing anywhere else. Tons of older EM's and SS's and even the modern games play much differently. I think I'm going to get use of a camera and try to film the whole thing. It's usually pretty damned funny to watch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
maybe you can explain why Congo, Rollergames, The Shadow, Johnny Mnemonic and No Good Gofers are so highly rated and coveted to me then

I don't know if you're intentionally trying to be ill-mannered or what, but I'm pretty sure you know EXACTLY what I'm getting at. Those games are from the B/W heyday. That was a different time. You know why you don't see games like Shadow, JM, Space Station, TOM, TOTAN, BSD, etc getting produced today? Because original themes aren't what the pinball community wants (despite what some forum posters try and say). I'm going to make the assumption that you read the quote from Gary Stern regarding that. Look at WOOLY and AMH - games that are original, deep, AND original...Yet they aren't sold out and are STILL taking orders (even though they've been available to put money on for a LONG time).

So short answer: they were produced when theme WAS NOT as big of a factor as it is today.

E: Moving away from that, I watched that video of WWE in action. I do NOT like the ring mini playfield. A local guy is hosting a release party at the end of the month, so I'll likely be there to play it and get some impressions.

Please use the complete names at least once when talking about tables. I have played a lot of old tables but I don't read about them often enough to immideately recognize acronyms. I know that TOTAN is Arabian Nights but I draw a blank on stuff like TOM and BSD.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Please use the complete names at least once when talking about tables. I have played a lot of old tables but I don't read about them often enough to immideately recognize acronyms. I know that TOTAN is Arabian Nights but I draw a blank on stuff like TOM and BSD.

I was more illustrating a point to him, sorry. :p

The one's I was speaking about: Johnny Mnemonic, Theater of Magic, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Wrath of Olympus, America's Most Haunted.

I was more illustrating a point to him, sorry. :p

The one's I was speaking about: Johnny Mnemonic, Theater of Magic, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Wrath of Olympus, America's Most Haunted.

Theater of Magic is one of my most played tables ever - both real and virtual - but seeing TOM doesn't click for me all the time.

Plinko

maybe you can explain why Congo, Rollergames, The Shadow, Johnny Mnemonic and No Good Gofers are so highly rated and coveted to me then

Oh, how I'd love to see Congo in Pinball Arcade :(

Shaneus

I don't know if you're intentionally trying to be ill-mannered or what, but I'm pretty sure you know EXACTLY what I'm getting at. Those games are from the B/W heyday. That was a different time. You know why you don't see games like Shadow, JM, Space Station, TOM, TOTAN, BSD, etc getting produced today? Because original themes aren't what the pinball community wants (despite what some forum posters try and say). I'm going to make the assumption that you read the quote from Gary Stern regarding that. Look at WOOLY and AMH - games that are original, deep, AND original...Yet they aren't sold out and are STILL taking orders (even though they've been available to put money on for a LONG time).

So short answer: they were produced when theme WAS NOT as big of a factor as it is today.

E: Moving away from that, I watched that video of WWE in action. I do NOT like the ring mini playfield. A local guy is hosting a release party at the end of the month, so I'll likely be there to play it and get some impressions.
Theme alone *can* kill a game, yes. The difference is that today, the market has changed. People don't go into arcades anymore, so they need something that would sit well at home... that's where the boutiques come into it. They have more of a focus on the home market, whilst Stern still tries to toe the line of having themes that work both well in arcades *and* home.

The thing with non-licensed themes is that these days they are received well by the majority, but in times where catching someone's eye is more important than any kind of depth, the most familiar is going to appeal the quickest. Just look at video games, it's almost always the big, well-known franchises that sell millions of copies. GTA, CoD, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Pokemon, Mario... Stern are basically the Ubisoft or Activision of pinball. The boutiques are more akin to devs like Double Fine.

I agree about the mini ring playfield thing too. I was hoping it would be a little faster and more fun, but the controllable sling things seem really squishy.

Oh, how I'd love to see Congo in Pinball Arcade :(
I'd say there's a small chance... depends on how licensing some of the actors would go. I know Tim Curry is featured on there (I think?) but no idea who else. I'd hope we'd get The Shadow before it, though.

I always wondered about that. Fro Some reason I thought the licensing was related to the original likeness and use when the machine was created. Meaning, they wouldn't have to get Tim Curry or Baldwin to sign off again because they signed off on the usage in the pinball originally and licensing the game again would include that because they will get some kind of cut.

Ended up 4th in the state. I really, REALLY need to play more in the coming month. Outside of the weekly tournaments, I'm hardly playing any pin right now. I've been busy and tired as hell so when I get home at night all I want to do is sit down and hang out.

Shaneus

I always wondered about that. Fro Some reason I thought the licensing was related to the original likeness and use when the machine was created. Meaning, they wouldn't have to get Tim Curry or Baldwin to sign off again because they signed off on the usage in the pinball originally and licensing the game again would include that because they will get some kind of cut.

Ended up 4th in the state. I really, REALLY need to play more in the coming month. Outside of the weekly tournaments, I'm hardly playing any pin right now. I've been busy and tired as hell so when I get home at night all I want to do is sit down and hang out.
Man, that's still insanely good considering people actually play pinball in your country. What state are you in?

I'd kill to be in a place that has more than 15 or so regular competitors (and more than 2 or 3 tournaments).

Man, that's still insanely good considering people actually play pinball in your country. What state are you in?

I'd kill to be in a place that has more than 15 or so regular competitors (and more than 2 or 3 tournaments).

I should Clarify, I'm seeded 4th place in the upcoming State Finals happening on Feb 7th. I was in third but our league results came in and pushed someone above me. I have to play Dan Gutchess in the first round (He's the guy that owns and fixes the machines at the 1up and 2up)/

I'm in Colorado. Our league had 30 people and our annuals usually get 40+ because lots of people we know can't make it weekly but show up for big events. We've got 4-5 people here in the top 100 who play weekly and it makes it really hard to get points. I had a great year with a few lucky wins. I'm just not consistent enough to win on a regular basis. I either have a huge game or get 3 house balls.

Other issue is I don't make enough money to go to tournaments out of State. My dream was to make it to Pinberg but I can't do it this year. This last summer though, IFPA was here in Denver, so I got to play against all the world greats. Keith Elwin was staying at my house since he knows my roomate.

For the hell of it, here is my IFPA profile
http://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=12388

Dem tournaments. I'm so fucking jealous! Compare that to mine:
http://www.ifpapinball.com/player.php?p=20983

Must be tough when you don't have that many chances to play in Tournaments. I think I had ~50 events last year. Around 3 every month that I go to and than a few bigger ones.

My goal for this month is to play at least an hour a day until the State Finals. I split my time on TZ and WPT last night. I had a few good games but nothing great.

I did figure out that WPT has a third multiball - 'all-in multiball'
It sounds silly that I didn't know that but I never shoot much at the drop targets. I'm not really sure how I got it, it just started after I cleared the banks a few times.

I usually go Ace-in the Hole - Poker Corner- Get to my third poker city, then Ace in the hole again and then try for NO LIMIT multiball.

Shaneus

Must be tough when you don't have that many chances to play in Tournaments. I think I had ~50 events last year. Around 3 every month that I go to and than a few bigger ones.
Yup, but thankfully the scoring will change. They were disincentivising multiple tourneys at the one location by granting lower scores for each sequential one, but that only resulted in encouraging year-long tourneys with fuck-all points at the end (considering). Now they will be giving decent points per event regardless of where it is (still done based on quality of competitors though) so I'll actually get points monthly rather than a handful of year-long ones at the end of the year.

I think that's how it's going to work, anyway. Still doesn't change the fact that there are fuck-all tourneys around here :/

Are those machines yours? I gave WPT a bit of a go but couldn't wrap my head around it at all... Steve Ritchie doing a stop-go game with rules depth by the likes of Keith Johnson? Way over my head.

Benedict

Season two seems to be delayed in Europe because:

Unfortunately, the Season Two content has been pulled for SCEE because of contractual obligations with the publisher of the disc version. The DLC will become available shortly after the disc version is released.

From Facebook...

Elios83

Is Farsight Studios aware of the fact that all their new contents are fucked up on the euro PS4 store?
You can't buy new packs from within the game and even on the store season two is missing.

So, Season 2 is on sale for $14.99 for PS3/Vita. Does anybody know if they are doing the 'discounted upgrade to PS4' thing this time around? I may buy these if I know I can upgrade them to PS4 for less than full price later on.

Shaneus

Is Farsight Studios aware of the fact that all their new contents are fucked up on the euro PS4 store?
You can't buy new packs from within the game and even on the store season two is missing.
I'm sure it was posted earlier in the page that Season 2 had some licensing issues in Europe and wouldn't appear until the retail S2 disc is on sale. I think that's what the story was. Either way, it was pulled from the PSN store in EU (and probably AU as well :/).

Top Bottom