• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

I got four PS4 codes from the Kickstarter page but they report they are invalid or incorrect.

Which do you think it is? :( Just not active yet?
Did you read the email?
FarSight Studios says:

Hello backers,

We have good news!

The PS4 codes just came in!

If you chose PS4 as your platform, just navigate to this address and enter the email you use to log into your Kickstarter account.

Note: The codes will show as invalid until the content is live in the PSN store.

The gold version will become available with the next PSN patch in the coming weeks.

Enjoy!!!

Shaneus

I have the option right now to buy the table and balls from the store. Would that count as active? ;)
Huh. Smartarse ;P

I tried playing the table and it said the content was unavailable. But I'm in PAL-land, where we're notorious for getting screwed on PSN launches. Doesn't help that it looks like demos on PSN have been disabled, too.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Huh. Smartarse ;P

I tried playing the table and it said the content was unavailable. But I'm in PAL-land, where we're notorious for getting screwed on PSN launches. Doesn't help that it looks like demos on PSN have been disabled, too.
It's ok. We're all pinball fans here, so I was just joshing you. :)

I posted in the kickstarter comments and they figured things out for me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-addams-family/comments
Yep. Working now.

Thanks, all.

Blu10

Gah, really? Whereabouts are you located? No wonder you want to get your own machine!

Richmond, VA... Guy came back from the auction empty handed, and so zI told him I'd take the WCS off his hands, and he said he needs to finish up his T2 refurb first. Ther was a Ripley's at the auctionI would have taken off his hand if he had picked it up. Gah, it's like having a second job to get a pinball machine in my house.

I did play a ST on location, and a Fast Break yesterday so that fed my itch a little. Halfway tempted to just drive to the next show and pick something up there.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Richmond, VA... Guy came back from the auction empty handed, and so zI told him I'd take the WCS off his hands, and he said he needs to finish up his T2 refurb first. Ther was a Ripley's at the auctionI would have taken off his hand if he had picked it up. Gah, it's like having a second job to get a pinball machine in my house.

I did play a ST on location, and a Fast Break yesterday so that fed my itch a little. Halfway tempted to just drive to the next show and pick something up there.

When you are yearning for a machine, every second feels like an eternity.

I should have my LOTR on Sunday! :3

Also, has anyone run into issues on AFM destroying the saucer on the final Attack Mars mode? I will try to get there again tonight to count the hits I get, but I felt like I was over 10 and nothing had happened yet. I did score over 20bil, which is cool I guess, but I got bored after smacking the ship over and over with no end in sight.

Blu10

Also, has anyone run into issues on AFM destroying the saucer on the final Attack Mars mode? I will try to get there again tonight to count the hits I get, but I felt like I was over 10 and nothing had happened yet. I did score over 20bil, which is cool I guess, but I got bored after smacking the ship over and over with no end in sight.

The real table or Pinball Arcade?

If PA, I beat it 3 days ago with no errors or issues, however talk to me about RBION and I'll endlessly complain about the game stopping when I was on my second ball with two extra balls queued up.

Congrats on LOTR...a bit frustrated myself

Random question since my Google-fu has failed me.

For the UK disc version of Season One is the Challenge Pack content a voucher or is it included on the disc? If it's on the disc I might grab one.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

If PA, I beat it 3 days ago with no errors or issues, however talk to me about RBION and I'll endlessly complain about the game stopping when I was on my second ball with two extra balls queued up.

Congrats on LOTR...a bit frustrated myself

TPA - I've only seen an AFM in person once. I can't imagine making it that far on location, haha. RBION has been OK for me, but I guess that's a testament to the bullshit that Farsight has currently bestowed upon us...

And thanks - I lucked out and the guy selling it to me is coming into town to pick up a TRON from a local guy, so he's delivering it to my house for no extra charge, haha. AND he's splitting the cost of a new set of plastics with me since 2 are broken. Makes it MUCH nicer for me.

Shaneus

Someone share some video of TAF played on the PS4. I want to see that pretty lighting on my favorite table.
If it's up and running for me tonight (stupid EU PSN codes) I'll definitely do that for you :)

Which platform are you talking about? Because I know that despite their insistence, the platforms DO play differently and could well have different bugs.

And yeah, I wouldn't really know about waiting for a new machine... I've only had two and there was never really much gap between buying and picking up. Thankfully! I'm still kind of on the lookout for another machine, but priority right now is (kinda) saving for a deposit for a house. Almost solely so I can get more machines, I kid you not.

Not played much of the TPA version of RBION, funnily enough. Played it a bit before taking the plunge on a real machine, but now I have the real machine I don't play it virtually at all! Likewise with High Speed, but I got that before it was in TPA. And because that's so stupidly exploitable, I don't touch that either (and the sound is bugged to hell on the iOS port).

I've been playing all the tables, but I haven't found any that I want to buy yet. :
You don't buy any of them. You buy ALL of them. It's like the tables you rarely played in TPA, but after giving them a go out of boredom, you find you actually like them. But with pretty much all the tables.

Seriously. You're about to drop ~$4500 on a LotR but can't pony up the ~$20 for an amazing collection of machines? Hell, I'd almost guarantee that after playing through all the tables, there's at least a few you wouldn't mind owning for yourself. And if not, do it to support awesome developers bringing more pinball games to mobile devices :) It's really astounding the effort they put in, they should be rewarded as much as possible.

Apologies for being abrupt, buy you are being a bit silly. I bet you'll love it once you tinker with the physics to get it to awesome status.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's not that I don't like the idea of bringing pinball to mobile devices, it's more that of the tables I've played, once is enough. I also don't like how every table looks like every other table - drab. I'll keep trying them to make a final decision, but at this point, if I'm not having fun with it, I simply won't spend money on it.

It's no offense meant towards the devs or those who enjoy the tables. It's like why I'll never ever ever buy an EM. :p

Shaneus

I think you'd change your mind if you bought it and unlocked the things like lighting, free cam and physics. The latter with the most recent update changed it from a sometimes game to my default go-to game on my iPad mini.

To me, all the Zaccaria games feel like all the awesome early-mid 80s tables from Bally and Gottlieb. Centaur, Black Hole, Fathom, they just feel chunky and solid and fun. Plus the themes are a laugh-riot.

How many tables are available in the demo? Do you get to try out all 29?

Is there an epilepsy-friendly setting I'm not seeing on AfM that makes Strobe Multiball not use accurate effects or is it just plain broken on the Steam version? It's been bugging me for a while.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Is there an epilepsy-friendly setting I'm not seeing on AfM that makes Strobe Multiball not use accurate effects or is it just plain broken on the Steam version? It's been bugging me for a while.

I believe it's just straight-up broken. No strobe effect for me either.

Shaneus

I believe it's just straight-up broken. No strobe effect for me either.
They've never had it... it's a continual request as well, it beats me why they don't have it implemented. It was the main reason I was so pumped for the advanced lighting on the PS4 one.

Fingers crossed that at least PC users get it this week when the advanced lighting patch (hopefully) hits.

Played a bit of the Addams Family board last night and they did a fantastic job of making it feel like the real thing. I grew up playing this at the local Scandia and couldn't be happier with the final product. Totally worth it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So happy to finally play TAF. I gave my spare codes to a friend, and he wrote back how much he enjoyed it.

It was a long, hard road and Farsight is clearly not the perfect developer/publisher. That said, I'm thankful that they got this done. I will enjoy this immensely and look forward to many hours of play.

And, I hope this has opened the door to bringing this difficult licensed property out for future pinball simulations.

Bebpo

Banned
Finally nailed the 3 ball multi-ball in Black Rose. Done with the standard goals, but the wizard goals are even crazier! This table, if you're just playing for fun and score is pretty easy, but playing for goals it's super super hard.

Still I love pirates, so I do enjoy playing it.

Shaneus

Damn. Don't know if any of you here have watched that Vice thing on pinball, but I found out that in this flyer:
xfeRo7N.jpg
is little Zach and Josh Sharpe, the heads of IFPA (and sons of Roger Sharpe, "the man who saved pinball").

Huh.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Any word on when Cyclone is coming? I want to see the newsletter hint and if they're going to finally add The Getaway next month.

Bebpo

Banned
Just when I think Black Rose is bad, it seems there's always one or two goals that are incredibly annoying every 2-3 tables. My latest HATE is Champion Pub.

First of all I don't even like the table, the announcer is annoying, you have to do way too many hits to make progress, there's some random physics involved because of the boxing bag/boxer that coupled with the bumpers tending to shoot the ball into the outlanes means a lot of random frustrating drains.

Then the goals require you to do a bunch of stuff before you can even try the goal. Right now I'm stuck after hours and hours of throw controller at the wall, I'm not having any fun and it's making me hate the game, at the standard goal #5 - Spitting Gallery. Every time I have to get a fight started, hit the guy like 12 times to win the fight, get the ball into the video mode slot just so I can have an 8 second attempt at a terrible video mode game, and it is terrible because it's designed so random with the spit order that a lot of times it'll create an order that's technically impossible to move the jar and catch all the falling spit. And sometimes they spit extra balls which is great if you're playing for score but it sucks for goals because it doesn't count as a spit. Got up to 9 spits caught (you need 10) once and ARGH, so close. I think I'm going to just give up on this table.

Standard goals at least should be events that you can go directly to and try to activate/win them. Having to first do steps 1,2,3 etc... before even getting a 5-10 second attempt at the goal is way too difficult and too much work for a standard goal. Yeah I could not worry about the goals and just play the tables for fun, especially since there's zero achievements on the PS4 version, but it's a personally OCD thing where I can't play a table for the simple fun of it until I've at least cleared the standard goals and gotten a good understanding of all the mechanics of the table in doing so.

But yeah, I think I'm just going to pretend this table doesn't exist. If I could delete tables from my list I'd go so far as doing that because this goal is bullshit. I like challenges, but there's too much randomness involved and the table just isn't very fun. Attack from Mars does the whole "start the fight and shoot the thing in the center" idea much better and that table is actually a lot of fun. Hate Champion Pub. Even though Black Rose was hard as fuck for the goals, at least it was a fun table. Playing a table you don't even like for hours trying to get 1 goal is miserable ;_;

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anybody else having season 4 PS4 issues?

I just purchased the season pass and no matter what I do, I can't play the games. I've restarted the game multiple times, restarted the system, etc. The games show up under season 4 but not under "My Tables." When I click them in season 4, it says "not available."

Bebpo

Banned

I just purchased the season pass and no matter what I do, I can't play the games. I've restarted the game multiple times, restarted the system, etc. The games show up under season 4 but not under "My Tables." When I click them in season 4, it says "not available."

I was having that problem at the start when only Phantom of the Opera was released. They fixed it with the next update and it seems to work. Did you go into PSN and download all the S4 tables individually? That's how I've done it and they all work so far (through Table Pack #35).

Shaneus

Any word on when Cyclone is coming? I want to see the newsletter hint and if they're going to finally add The Getaway next month.
This week is Cyclone, should have it tomorrow on PC and iOS.

FYI Farsight are currently streaming, and while they're not doing Cyclone right now (may have missed it) they are doing TAF... and I think it's on PC, and I think it's with the advanced lighting!!! It looks goddamned amazing (as expected).
Edit: It's PS4 :(

yep. he had barely started to put it together and just wanted to get rid of it.
I think he might've been asking what the basic kit was? From what I can tell, it's a kit that can be applied to a particular EM to convert it into BJM.

But $6.5k though? Damn. They're not going to move many at that rate at all. Surprised it's so expensive.

Edit #2: I asked on Twitch about advanced lighting on PC, they answered my question (not expecting them to) and apparently beta testers are getting it soon. So it may well be the NEXT table pack we get it. I guess :/

FYI Farsight are currently streaming, and while they're not doing Cyclone right now (may have missed it) they are doing TAF... and I think it's on PC, and I think it's with the advanced lighting!!! It looks goddamned amazing (as expected).
Edit: It's PS4 :(

They also put it in dark mode, which was super duper nice.

They also confirmed more challenging tournament modes for tables, which will be interesting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I was having that problem at the start when only Phantom of the Opera was released. They fixed it with the next update and it seems to work. Did you go into PSN and download all the S4 tables individually? That's how I've done it and they all work so far (through Table Pack #35).

Thanks--that took care of it.

eggwolio

I'm terrible at keeping up with this thread, and I know I missed Shaneus at the Texas Pinball Festival last year. Anyone going this year? I'll be there on Saturday.

Shaneus

I'm terrible at keeping up with this thread, and I know I missed Shaneus at the Texas Pinball Festival last year. Anyone going this year? I'll be there on Saturday.
Damn, that was a year ago? I kinda miss not going, but I'm hoping to make it to Expo this year instead.

bronk

Banned
Hey guys I have the game on PS4. I have Addams Family, Arabian Nights and Theatre of Magic. I wanna buy some really fun ones. Can you recommend me your top 3 besides ones I have. I wanna have some beers and pinball it tonight. Thank you!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hey guys I have the game on PS4. I have Addams Family, Arabian Nights and Theatre of Magic. I wanna buy some really fun ones. Can you recommend me your top 3 besides ones I have. I wanna have some beers and pinball it tonight. Thank you!

Hmm...It's super hard to say. But if I were going to give you some suggestions:

Twilight Zone
Ripley's
Medieval Madness OR Attack From Mars
Dracula (hard but awesome)
Star Trek TNG
Taxi OR Diner

Demo them and see, but these are great tables.

bronk

Banned
Hmm...It's super hard to say. But if I were going to give you some suggestions:

Twilight Zone
Ripley's
Medieval Madness OR Attack From Mars
Dracula (hard but awesome)
Star Trek TNG
Taxi OR Diner

Demo them and see, but these are great tables.

Thank you. I picked up Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars. Lets do this

Also hows White Water that one looks fun from youtube video I saw. The guy's voice makes me laugh.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thank you. I picked up Medieval Madness and Attack from Mars. Lets do this

Also hows White Water that one looks fun from youtube video I saw. The guy's voice makes me laugh.

WH20 (white Water) is fun. It's not my favorite table, but it's absolutely worth playing. I'd say you should strongly consider season passes if you are enjoying the whole package. There are some absolute gems in there.

bronk

Banned
WH20 (white Water) is fun. It's not my favorite table, but it's absolutely worth playing. I'd say you should strongly consider season passes if you are enjoying the whole package. There are some absolute gems in there.

hmm ill look into that. Im having alot of fun. thanks again

Shaneus

White Water was the first game to unlock the thought process in my head of how deep rulesets and game progression actually work. Up until that point, the only game I knew how to really progress through was High Speed. But once I learned that you have to hit the lit shots to progress the rafts to progress the game, my mind was opened to all titles.

Also, in a local fish and chip shop I found a very, VERY nice Spidey! I've only played one on location here (before it was pulled completely) so I was stoked to find it. It's on 5 balls, is $2 (which is the upper limit on games here, normally they're about that or 3 for $5) so I played two games and got three replays I think (one from a match, one from hitting the replay score and one from getting the #1 score on my second game). Didn't beat the (default) GC of 150,000,000 but managed to get ~142m.

I think that might be my next Stern game. Shame it's always so damned expensive :/

Here was my strikingly similar experience with Seasons 2&3.

I bought Seasons 2&3 from PSN via my computer last month. There was just one problem. There was absolutely no way to DL the tables on my PS4. There was no option to DL via PSN on the PS4 and when I tried to DL to my console from PSN via my PC it would just hang. If I tried to purchase the games from within the Pinball Arcade app itself, it would say that seasons 2&3 are not available for purchase. It was pretty frustrating. I found evidence online that this has been an issue for some since mid-December with zero resolution.

I waited 2 weeks and eventually got a refund from Sony. Of course they didn't refund my CC as requested and instead just put the $60 back in my PS Wallet.

Last week I fired up Pinball Arcade and Season 2&3 had downloaded, but I also still have the refund in my wallet. It looks like I got both Seasons for free. I deserve it for the hassle and hoops I had to jump through.

Glad to see this thread exists. So many interesting topics buried in the OT :(

I love Pinball, both physical and video. I have all tables on my PS4 for Pinball Arcade and all the tables for Pinball FX on my Xbox One. The wife and I compete often on table scores and when my parents visit we have mini tournaments.

Lettuce

Just what the FUCK is going on my the XB1 update!?, has all of S4 tables so far but you can't download any of them, wtf FarSight!. Also seems odd that they would release a long time coming update for the XB1 and PS4 a week out from releasing Cyclone, we've waited this long FarSight why not wait 1 week more and give us Cyclone as we?, as we all know it's now going to be September/October time before we see that table on either the XB1 or PS4.

Also I'm starting to get worried that DX11 won't be making it this coming Friday, as of writing DX11 still hasn't been added to the beta build, the guys from the Twitch stream on Thursday couldnt confirm if the lighting in DX11 would be more advance than that of the XB1/PS4, saying theres 'a possibility it could be' I'm sorry but if this things a week from being released surely there going yo know this or not!?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
White Water was the first game to unlock the thought process in my head of how deep rulesets and game progression actually work. Up until that point, the only game I knew how to really progress through was High Speed. But once I learned that you have to hit the lit shots to progress the rafts to progress the game, my mind was opened to all titles.

Also, in a local fish and chip shop I found a very, VERY nice Spidey! I've only played one on location here (before it was pulled completely) so I was stoked to find it. It's on 5 balls, is $2 (which is the upper limit on games here, normally they're about that or 3 for $5) so I played two games and got three replays I think (one from a match, one from hitting the replay score and one from getting the #1 score on my second game). Didn't beat the (default) GC of 150,000,000 but managed to get ~142m.

I think that might be my next Stern game. Shame it's always so damned expensive :/

Right?! SM is an amazing game...I had no idea how good it really was until I put some time on it. What does a NIB game run in AUS? I always read pinside complaints that AUS NIB is like 7-8k USD...With the possibility of a SM VE, you may be able to find one cheaper?

Shaneus

Right?! SM is an amazing game...I had no idea how good it really was until I put some time on it. What does a NIB game run in AUS? I always read pinside complaints that AUS NIB is like 7-8k USD...With the possibility of a SM VE, you may be able to find one cheaper?
Oh, there might be a VE? Is that starting to be rumoured?

Yeah, that's what Australian NIB machines go for, which equates to around at least $8k AUD+. For example, my friend's STLE set him back I think $10.5k AUD? Might've been closer to 11. But FWIW, Pinpedia doesn't paint a pretty picture for SM down here. VERY few appearances on eBay (only 5 or so in the last 6 years) and prices way too high for what I'd want to pay. Honestly, something that vintage I honestly wouldn't want to part with (at extreme most) *maybe* $5k.

Perhaps I could find out the guy who's routing this machine (no obvious signs though), see if they want to get rid of it.

But yeah, it's a really fun game now I've spent some casual time on it (and not on my Texas trip). Feels *way* better than IM (as far as that era Sterns go) and you know, I think I like the layout better than Star Trek. Just that little bit trickier enough and bit more to shoot for. Theme I can take or leave though, and it's from that era that did the 50/50 thing with the DMD (and movie animations) that I just hate (see: Transformers). Maybe with a VE it could get a code update.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh, there might be a VE? Is that starting to be rumoured?

Yeah, that's what Australian NIB machines go for, which equates to around at least $8k AUD+. For example, my friend's STLE set him back I think $10.5k AUD? Might've been closer to 11. But FWIW, Pinpedia doesn't paint a pretty picture for SM down here. VERY few appearances on eBay (only 5 or so in the last 6 years) and prices way too high for what I'd want to pay. Honestly, something that vintage I honestly wouldn't want to part with (at extreme most) *maybe* $5k.

Perhaps I could find out the guy who's routing this machine (no obvious signs though), see if they want to get rid of it.

But yeah, it's a really fun game now I've spent some casual time on it (and not on my Texas trip). Feels *way* better than IM (as far as that era Sterns go) and you know, I think I like the layout better than Star Trek. Just that little bit trickier enough and bit more to shoot for. Theme I can take or leave though, and it's from that era that did the 50/50 thing with the DMD (and movie animations) that I just hate (see: Transformers). Maybe with a VE it could get a code update.

SM VE is, from what I have read, more likely than LOTR VE (largely because of licensing and emulation). The Spike system that Stern has now apparently doesn't emulate Whitestar, so that would require a LOT of work on Stern's end. Not to say it can't/won't happen, but that's just what I've heard.

I agree that SM feels better than IM - I love IM, but it's also a bit shallow. I put a TON of time on an IM at Louisville 2 years ago, and would love to have one, but I think SM is a better game. I actually don't mind the DMD stuff that any of those superhero themes have.

Regarding the overall theme, I would agree...I don't really care about SM, IM, or even TF as far as themes go. But the games themselves are all good enough in my book. :)

Shaneus

Funny thing is, I don't know the rules well enough to know if I like it from that standpoint... but I feel like it doesn't matter. This is the perfect example of where/why depth is a distant factor in me liking a game. The shots feel nice, there's a good level of difficulty to the goals and it doesn't feel all that cheap. And this was on a stock-standard one that just had LEDs put in (so no extra toys or whatever).

I'm looking at buying a house soon, but if I can squirrel away a bit of extra money (doubtful) I'd definitely get one. While something like Ripley's would be a bit more of an "everyone" game, Spidey would be just for me and hardcore pinheads.

Definitely need to get this going on VPmame to try and nut out the rules, see if that's a factor in buying one or not. But I think at ~141 million (regardless of how many balls) I had a good enough feel for it.

Edit: The underside of it looks super-basic, too. As much as I like ball troughs, I prefer it when wireforms are used above the playfield. Looks and sounds cooler ;)

Also found on the weekend at a barcade in Melbourne a crazy-clean NBA Fastbreak (and a fairly good TMNT). I think I quite like NBA. Doubt I'd ever get one (I suspect they fetch a bit of money) but it's a lot of fun. And it was only $1 for 6 credits for some reason (no complaints). Oh, and played Avengers LE and WCS94 yesterday while waiting for my girlfriend at a lunch as well... I think I could see owning an Avengers LE (though not as a permanent thing) and WCS as well (that WOULD be more permanent). Had fun with both.

Is 1.6bn on a three ball game of WCS okay? It was #1 score, but didn't crack the default GC of 2bn.

Top Bottom