• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ya it might be ..i like the pub sounds too.
Can't wait to try the better controls.. flipper/nudge controls are the one thing I don't like about playing on a tablet

Shaneus

Looks like a new VS 2012 redist as well. Link here.

Update from Mike on DX11
Ugh, fucking DX11. I can't believe I honestly believed them when they said it would be out only a few weeks after TAF. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 20 times, shame on me.

OH COME THE FUCK ON!
Yep. I couldn't give two shits about Jack-Bot. But I guess Jack-Bot is to Pin*Bot as Getaway is to High Speed (though HS2 is far more different to HS than JB/PB).

Amazing! Also, did I even see a dust particle near the end floating in the air to the right of the table?
That's been there for a few versions now :) I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's really only ASK Homework that are keeping me interested in virtual pinball right now. Farsight just keep dropping the ball repeatedly.

Edit: Also mentioned in that Zac thread on PAF, someone mentions they're doing improved flipper control to allow for things like tap passes. Hopefully it also means live/drop catching as well. It just irritates me though that they can do that on mobile devices with seemingly little effort, yet Farsight continually pleads "no resources" when asked about physics that are any better than they currently are.

Maybe ASK will open up their platform and we can start (unofficially) porting WMS tables to it. They'd be dreamy.

PAF has refused to update on my Galaxy Tab 3, and when I tried to uninstall and reinstall, it simply would refuse to do that. No issues on my S5 though.

Shaneus

So, these are the tables that are updated for the PC version of TPA:
TAF
Creature
Cyclone (duh)
Funhouse
Medieval Madness
Monster Bash
Scared Stiff
TZ
Who Dunnit
AfM

I'm guessing they're either only doing bugfixes in preparation for DX11 (like minor artwork/geom fixes) or perhaps they're including whatever needs to be included (like lighting information) in preparation for DX11.

But I think this is the biggest update we've seen for a while. Even though last month we saw a good number of tables updated too (which may have been updated for the same reason).

Psykoboy2

Should have a new announcement from Zen Studios today about some new tables. There's also a major partnership announcement on the way as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You know, I have been playing more FX2 lately and realized something...

The games are fun, the tables are cool, but I can play a table for 20 minutes and make almost no progress. The games aren't nearly as intuitive as real pinball.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
while I've been on hold waiting for the DX11 update for TPA(stopped playing when they said it would be out after adams family) I bought all the Pinball FX2 tables.

They are fun and alot of the newer ones have really good progression that makes more sense, the south park ones are fantastic for example, same with BobaFett and Fear Itself.

The old tables(core and classics) aren't as good you can play for along time and not really make much progress since it wasn't intuitive as to what to do next.

I'm looking forward to getting back to TPA once the dx11 and camera mod are released.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Should have a new announcement from Zen Studios today about some new tables. There's also a major partnership announcement on the way as well.

Since they already have the licenses for South Park, Star Wars, and Marvel Comics, maybe they should put the real-life tables based on those licenses in their game.

Shaneus

You know, I have been playing more FX2 lately and realized something...

The games are fun, the tables are cool, but I can play a table for 20 minutes and make almost no progress. The games aren't nearly as intuitive as real pinball.
I was thinking that when I played against some people in AusGAF in a mini rivalry thing. Each game, even the supposed good ones just feel like you're chopping wood almost the entire time. And the visual payoffs are never as good as TPA machines because they're always just lame 3D animations.

Honestly, the Zen tables I've played feel startlingly close to Avengers LE. Shots are kinda wonky, takes FOREVER to progress anywhere and theme implementation is kinda lame.

Since they already have the licenses for South Park, Star Wars, and Marvel Comics, maybe they should put the real-life tables based on those licenses in their game.

Do they also have an agreement with Sega/Williams/Stern to distribute virtual recreations of said tables? I'd dive head first into zen products based on licensed tables since Farsight needs a hundred thousand kickstarter dollars to do them these days.

Shaneus

Do they also have an agreement with Sega/Williams/Stern to distribute virtual recreations of said tables? I'd dive head first into zen products based on licensed tables since Farsight needs a hundred thousand kickstarter dollars to do them these days.
Oh god no. I know the physics on TPA is very much derided, but that's nothing compared to how Zen tables feel. I'd be bitterly disappointed if any real tables ever found their way into Zen.

The Zaccaria app however, would be a different story. If non-Williams/Bally/Gottlieb/Stern machines were done by ASK, I'd dive in head first.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, today has been tough for location and games being for sale. POTC in Cali for $3500, IMVE not near Indy for $4500? Someone is getting good deals, haha.

Psykoboy2

Yesterday's Zen announcement was just one of two on the way. Their next table announcement isn't based on any previously released property they've worked with. So it won't be Star Wars or Marvel related. The announcement will probably come around May with a late May release for the table.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Oh god no. I know the physics on TPA is very much derided, but that's nothing compared to how Zen tables feel. I'd be bitterly disappointed if any real tables ever found their way into Zen.

I don't know..i know they've tuned it to be more arcade game but their physics engine seems really good ..I would just love for them to put in a pro mode thats more simulation based and tweak the flipper controls to allow for more realistic control methods with separate leader boards etc.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone who makes a realistic pinball game in 2015 should really just look at the PAPA pinball-tricks videos and be sure that all of that can happen in the game or your engine is pretty lacking. I guess Zaccaria is the only one that can really lay claim to that? Because I know TPA and Zen can't pull it off (though you could argue that Zen isn't really going for realistic, which, fair enough).

Shaneus

Anyone who makes a realistic pinball game in 2015 should really just look at the PAPA pinball-tricks videos and be sure that all of that can happen in the game or your engine is pretty lacking. I guess Zaccaria is the only one that can really lay claim to that? Because I know TPA and Zen can't pull it off (though you could argue that Zen isn't really going for realistic, which, fair enough).
TPA physics are an abomination compared to real-life or what looks to be in Zaccaria in the next update. No flipper passes, no drop or live catching, no ball spin... fair enough that might occur in a fantasy pinball game, but for it to be the case on a game basing itself on real life is ridiculous. Never mind that the game's been out for years now and the flipper mechanics (not to mention ball physics) have not changed one iota since launch.
Compare it with Zaccaria which is continually evolving with what seems to be a team significantly smaller than FS. Shits me to tears.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Yesterday's Zen announcement was just one of two on the way. Their next table announcement isn't based on any previously released property they've worked with. So it won't be Star Wars or Marvel related. The announcement will probably come around May with a late May release for the table.

If they get the license for The Simpsons, I'm going to legit cry.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TPA physics are an abomination compared to real-life or what looks to be in Zaccaria in the next update. No flipper passes, no drop or live catching, no ball spin... fair enough that might occur in a fantasy pinball game, but for it to be the case on a game basing itself on real life is ridiculous. Never mind that the game's been out for years now and the flipper mechanics (not to mention ball physics) have not changed one iota since launch.
Compare it with Zaccaria which is continually evolving with what seems to be a team significantly smaller than FS. Shits me to tears.

Yeah I'd love it if TPA could give you even loose practice at those skills.

Shaneus

Not working for me.

I've been in there but it'd be interesting to tour around it nevertheless.

This link seemed to work https://goo.gl/maps/NvOH1
Weird. Second one isn't as fun though, you can enter it from the street!

Yeah I'd love it if TPA could give you even loose practice at those skills.
I'm pretty sure even Timeshock is pretty good at that sort of stuff. I'll report on how well Zaccaria does it, but I'm confident it'll be solid as hell.

snaffles

Well I have this menu option now but it doesn't boot, so I guess that is something right?
pinball6xq5h.png

Lettuce

I do flipper passes all the time and i think they said they will be adding ball spin and more advanced ball physics after DX 11 is out....so September 2015 then

Shaneus

I do flipper passes all the time and i think they said they will be adding ball spin and more advanced ball physics after DX 11 is out....so September 2015 then
Tap passes? It's impossible for me to do those because the flipper always fully extends no matter how quickly you press the flipper button.

Although I think I was talking about the flick pass.

Psykoboy2

Sonic the Hedgehog is the only one I'm thinking of.

Yeah, Sonic is obvious, but that isn't it. You need to be thinking...differently. Like I said, it wasn't obvious to me, but when they said they were making it a table I suddenly thought it was a great idea and a really good fit for pinball.

FyreWulff

Yeah, a lot of pinball games sorely miss being able to do anything except fully extending the flippers.

But I guess this is what happens when you make games that have to work with non-analog interfaces.

Shaneus

Yeah, a lot of pinball games sorely miss being able to do anything except fully extending the flippers.

But I guess this is what happens when you make games that have to work with non-analog interfaces.
Timeshock (and even the older Pro Pinball titles, circa 90s) and soon to be Zaccaria look to handle it without too much issue. There's really no excuse. IMO more of an issue than ball spin (though obviously that's a big one as well).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
This might be old news to everyone but I just came across this Bam Better Arcade Mode videos using head tracking for Future Pinball.

OMG..completely blowing my mind. It solves everything i've struggled with about digital pinballs views and non changing perspective.

I Can't believe I haven't heard of this before..I wonder if there's something similar being developed for VP 10. The whole idea of an Occulus Rift pinball 3d game seems redundant now.

Anyways Heres a couple links I really want to build a cab that can do this now.

https://youtu.be/89AnFISP7k4

https://youtu.be/pF4Ccc4_G3g

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
VP is fun, but no matter what I do, I never feels like the real thing. That said, if I could do it for cheap, I'd build one for novelty. Also the delay between flipper button and actual flipper is unforgivable.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I've got a monitor arm like this on the way..I'm hoping my 27" monitor will work like this in portrait

and it sounds like virtuapin will build the pinball wizard style controllers..so i'm probably gonna get one of those i'm hoping to get one with the analog nudge/plunger

I fixed the flipper delays in my nvidia controls by setting the maximum pre-render frames to 1
this made a huge difference in pinball Fx2 and TPA.

the BAM thing tho..it looks amazing for creating a real sense of depth to the table

Tizoc

For those with a PS4; were you able to download and play the Addams Family table yet? I redeemed my code, but I don't see a download link for it. For that matter, I take it gives you the Vita ver. of the table too right?

So guys, i figured this is the best addition i can make when i come to this thread, but i am likely getting my first real table. You may not be a big fan of the choice (Street Fighter II), but the price is good, its local, the dude is a good guy, and it was a favorite of mine as a kid (i did play it recently).

So, any good resources for upkeep? I've looked around at what parts usually need replacement and such and stuff, but i figured i'd love to hear advice from you guys

Velinos

So guys, i figured this is the best addition i can make when i come to this thread, but i am likely getting my first real table. You may not be a big fan of the choice (Street Fighter II), but the price is good, its local, the dude is a good guy, and it was a favorite of mine as a kid (i did play it recently).

So, any good resources for upkeep? I've looked around at what parts usually need replacement and such and stuff, but i figured i'd love to hear advice from you guys

Are you buying from a local collector? Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have the guy walk you through the machine and explain typical maintenance. Assuming he has maintained it himself, he should know what all is needed.

Are you buying from a local collector? Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have the guy walk you through the machine and explain typical maintenance. Assuming he has maintained it himself, he should know what all is needed.

Yep, he is a collector. I actually have had one table my grandfather owned and learned some basic stuff from him, but it was an old 60's table called Yukon, and i'm assuming the upkeep on this is gonna be a bit more complicated then that.

Shaneus

For those with a PS4; were you able to download and play the Addams Family table yet? I redeemed my code, but I don't see a download link for it. For that matter, I take it gives you the Vita ver. of the table too right?
I'm in "Europe" (Australia) and apparently the download codes for TAF (via Kickstarter) are unavailable... so I think it's safe to say the actual table is unavailable as well.

But if you already have the code... are you in the US?

Top Bottom