• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So guys, i figured this is the best addition i can make when i come to this thread, but i am likely getting my first real table. You may not be a big fan of the choice (Street Fighter II), but the price is good, its local, the dude is a good guy, and it was a favorite of mine as a kid (i did play it recently).

So, any good resources for upkeep? I've looked around at what parts usually need replacement and such and stuff, but i figured i'd love to hear advice from you guys

I love SF2. It's a stop-and-go mode based pin based on a great game. Pinball is a very opinion based hobby. :)

As for upkeep...

• First thing's first - get on Pinside if you're not already.
  • Start reading any threads and articles you can on Gottlieb Sys 3 maintenance, diagnostics, and repair.
  • Read the SF2 thread on Pinside and start getting a feel for issues and "how-tos" for fixing said issues.
  • Determine if you need to rebuild any parts, need new stuff, etc. The car crunch mech is unobtanium, so if that's not working well or if the car is in shitty condition, factor that in accordingly.
  • Check fuses, battery damage, bulbs, wear, etc.
  • Buy a set of fuses and a fuse remover/replacer tool. You can find the manual for the game online somewhere to determine which fuses you need.
  • If you intend to LED the game, start hunting for LEDs now. Also, Pinside discounts on LEDs are good.
  • People say to have switches on hand...If you own one game, it's not that big of a deal. Buy them as you need them, but always buy more than 1 so you've got them.
  • Double and triple check all switches and connections. Make sure the flippers don't feel weak.

Shopping list!

• Fuses
  • LEDs/Bulbs
  • Soldering iron (there is a 100% chance you'll need to solder at some point, so start learning)
  • Novus 1/2 and shop towels (you shouldn't ever need 3, but you can get it if you find a 3 pack)
  • New pinballs (I like Pinball Life premiums, but whatever you do, buy 2-3 sets so you've always got extra)
  • Flipper rubbers (superbands are great on SF2, but it's all preference)
  • Cliffy protectors (post sleeves and scoop holes are important to keep protected)

The rest of the stuff you'll need will come as you go. You'll probably have to replace flippers eventually, but it's not worth buying a rebuild kit right now. Same can be said for motors, diverters, etc. Pinball ownership is really a labor and hobby of love. :)

E: Onto my Pinball experiences lately...

Sold my WCS94 for a little profit (Paid $1500, put $600 into it, sold it for $2400...So $300 profit). Learned a LOT about pinball because of it. I have an opportunity to pick up that LOTR still, but I actually may pass on it and grab a Stargate + Mousin Around for less than the LOTR. 2 games instead of 1? Sounds like a really good idea...Besides, I love both of those games, so it makes it even better. It all depends on if I can go check them out this week or not. If the guy texts me back, I'll be at his house ASAP so I test the games, check them out, and make an offer.

And what better way to improve at pinball than having multiple games. One a deeper mode based game, one a multi-ball score based game. Different layouts, shot maps, AND manufacturers.

Blu10

As I wait on my WCS94, I've been playing the crap out of pinball arcade. Thus far I've finished all the wizard goals for TOTAN, TOM, MM, AFM, NGG, and I'm only missing one goal from MB, but I think I may give up on that as being impossible. 99 scoop hits is just too many.

Shaneus

Sold my WCS94 for a little profit (Paid $1500, put $600 into it, sold it for $2400...So $300 profit). Learned a LOT about pinball because of it. I have an opportunity to pick up that LOTR still, but I actually may pass on it and grab a Stargate + Mousin Around for less than the LOTR. 2 games instead of 1? Sounds like a really good idea...Besides, I love both of those games, so it makes it even better. It all depends on if I can go check them out this week or not. If the guy texts me back, I'll be at his house ASAP so I test the games, check them out, and make an offer.

And what better way to improve at pinball than having multiple games. One a deeper mode based game, one a multi-ball score based game. Different layouts, shot maps, AND manufacturers.
Holy cow, do you go through machines quickly! I feel weird now for sitting on High Speed for a year and a half and Ripley's for almost a year!

Do you have anything at the moment?

I'm thinking now of ditching Ripley's and getting Spidey. I figure I could probably get *maybe* close to $4k (AU) on RBION (I think I paid $3.4k for it) and then I guess I'd drop another $500 tops on Spiderman. Do like Ripley's, but I think I'm over it (and the fact I'll *never* get to Atlantis).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Holy cow, do you go through machines quickly! I feel weird now for sitting on High Speed for a year and a half and Ripley's for almost a year!

Do you have anything at the moment?

I'm thinking now of ditching Ripley's and getting Spidey. I figure I could probably get *maybe* close to $4k (AU) on RBION (I think I paid $3.4k for it) and then I guess I'd drop another $500 tops on Spiderman. Do like Ripley's, but I think I'm over it (and the fact I'll *never* get to Atlantis).

I like cycling through and getting time on different machines. Gives me a HUGE respect for games.

And no, but I should have a new title this week. Probably the SG/MA combo. RBION is so good. I'd buy it from you if I were nearby. Good luck finding a SM, though. I've been hunting since I played the one in Michigan, and the only ones I've had come up were 5200-5800 USD. Sucks.

Shaneus

I like cycling through and getting time on different machines. Gives me a HUGE respect for games.

And no, but I should have a new title this week. Probably the SG/MA combo. RBION is so good. I'd buy it from you if I were nearby. Good luck finding a SM, though. I've been hunting since I played the one in Michigan, and the only ones I've had come up were 5200-5800 USD. Sucks.
I think there are a few HUO (or at least, very nice routed machines) SMs floating around Australia, one only sold a month or two ago via a forum for $5500AU. I suspect I'd have more fun with one than I do with RBION. The only thing pushing me to keep it is effort (lols packing up pinnies) and that it's a HUO where I doubt I'd ever find one this nice again. But if I'm not having a lot of fun with it, what's the point of holding on?

Fake edit: Hm. Reading threads on this same forum about another machine that sold last year (for $3300, which I played at Pinfest interstate, and didn't play anywhere near as good as mine that I paid $3400 for) it's more highly regarded than I remember. Maybe it's best I hold onto it and scratch up the money for a Spidey from somewhere else. I'm looking at getting a home loan soon, maybe I could add another $5k onto said loan ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'd be so damn jelly if you scored a SM, but all the kudos in the world if you do it!

I got to play a LOTR again today...Made it to There And Back Again. Holy shit that might be the most incredible mode I've ever played in a pinball machine in my entire life. I've never had goosebumps from a pinball machine before, but this did it. A+++

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thats a great point AstroLad those pappa videos opened my eyes to how to really start to learn ball control.

I think unit3d Pinball potentially will have some of the best flipper mechanics.
the video from the alpha looks like the complex flipper mechanics are pretty extensive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xul04-5IX7w

What's that? Free unity project? I skimped thru the video but I didn't understand what will come of it

joeblow

Would it please you if we changed the title to Pinball Arcade and Pinball OT?

No need to be so cynical mate.
I wasn't being cynical, I was being literal. I missed a post here asking for questions to pose to Farsight for an interview (I think a podcast) because of the wall-to-wall off topic stuff posted up that I have no interest in reading.

To answer your question, there should be two threads. We don't have threads called "Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and other fighting games", do we? Instead we have a TTT2 thread and a separate "fighting game weekly" general thread, a fighting game joystick thread, etc.

There are also general threads for shoot-em ups, digital board games, and Star Wars games that haven't taken over threads dedicated to specific titles in those genres (unlike this thread).

Seems logically straight forward.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wasn't being cynical, I was being literal. I missed a post here asking for questions to pose to Farsight for an interview (I think a podcast) because of the wall-to-wall off topic stuff posted up that I have no interest in reading.

To answer your question, there should be two threads. We don't have threads called "Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and other fighting games", do we? Instead we have a TTT2 thread and a separate "fighting game weekly" general thread, a fighting game joystick thread, etc.

There are also general threads for shoot-em ups, digital board games, and Star Wars games that haven't taken over threads dedicated to specific titles in those genres (unlike this thread).

Seems logically straight forward.

The problem boils down to segregating the already tiny community of pinball enthusiasts. Honestly, the best decision would be to make a thread that encompasses all pinball. Pinball Arcade, Virtual/Visual Pinball, and physical tables.

joeblow

Let's make a thread that throws Bayonetta, God of War, Devil May Cry, etc. together while having no separate, dedicated threads for those games. The concept makes no sense.

No other dedicated game thread at this site is dominated by off-topic posts like this one. Not one. So how is there any "danger" when all the other general and deeicated threads make it work as separate discussions?

If it makes you feel better, the first post of each one would have a link to the other. Easy peasy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Let's make a thread that throws Bayonetta, God of War, Devil May Cry, etc. together while having no separate, dedicated threads for those games. The concept makes no sense.

No other dedicated game thread at this site is dominated by off-topic posts like this one. Not one. So how is there any "danger" when all the other general and deeicated threads make it work as separate discussions?

If it makes you feel better, the first post of each one would have a link to the other. Easy peasy.

You're making a ridiculous comparison and you know it; just stop. If you honestly think Pinball has the same momentum as something like DMC, God of War, Halo, etc., you're out of you mind. Do you think we should start a thread for Zaccaria Pinball, too? Because guess how many people on GAF play that? Probably less than the number of fingers and toes you have...It just makes sense to keep pinball talk confined in one location.

Having a thread about Pinball that encompasses virtual and physical makes sense relative to the subject matter at hand. It doesn't make sense to have a "Character Action Game" thread because of how absurdly different every one of them is. Virtual pinball and physical pinball are so intimately related that it makes sense. Example:

I have played a physical Adams Family. The way you play TAF in real life versus the virtual game is nearly the exact same. Of course, the physical table has "real physics" versus simulated physics, but the game is the same. Discussing the table and how it plays and how it SHOULD play is a way to better understand how to approach the game in a physical and virtual sense. Nudging and ball control are skills that you have to approach very differently between physical and digital, but the CONCEPT is identical.

Discussing modern Stern tables or games that aren't available on TPA doesn't take away from any of the weight that TPA holds. In fact, it excites people into wanting to play more pinball (virtual or physical). On top of that, it can help understand how to deconstruct games and learn how to play ANY pin better. There are a few of us who visit this thread multiple times a day, and I don't think the OP is one of them. If we simply had the first post keep track of major updates, it would alleviate your complaint. But quite frankly, Farsight has had SO FEW announcements of value, that you're better off searching their dedicated forums.

You're going to disagree with me, and that's fine. I'm not going to change your mind. But I stand firm by my stance that the two worlds of pinball are so interconnected that it makes sense to keep all pinball discussion together.

Velinos

Anyone else heading out to the Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend? I am looking forward to being able to check out a wide variety of games that are not on location locally. Lord of the Rings and Swords of Fury are going to be at the top of my list to check out (hopefully someone brings a Pin-Bot as well). Also excited about being able to try out America's Most Haunted and prototypes for The Hobbit and The Big Lebowski. Should be fun.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone else heading out to the Midwest Gaming Classic this weekend? I am looking forward to being able to check out a wide variety of games that are not on location locally. Lord of the Rings and Swords of Fury are going to be at the top of my list to check out (hopefully someone brings a Pin-Bot as well). Also excited about being able to try out America's Most Haunted and prototypes for The Hobbit and The Big Lebowski. Should be fun.

I wish I could make it, but my friend is moving...So I've got to help him out.

LOTR will change you. ;) Such an amazing game. AMH also seems to be gaining a major following. The playfield looks a bit bare to me, but I've not had a chance to play one, so I'm not sure how it actually PLAYS.

The Hobbit and TBL are also games that have come a LONG way over the past few months. Most people who played the most recent copy of The Hobbit were blown away. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on everything!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Congrats mate!

E: What part of the country you in? Some city/states are MAD pins for sale. :p

Norcal -- San Jose area. Since I have zilch experience would definitely be looking for something low-maintenance if possible (much as I'd love to get a Twilight Zone or something).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Norcal -- San Jose area. Since I have zilch experience would definitely be looking for something low-maintenance if possible (much as I'd love to get a Twilight Zone or something).

You're in luck....Norcal area has a huge player base. :) Free Gold Watch is a place you may make a trip to at some point. Lots of great tables according to my friend who lives up there.

Pinside is your best bet obviously. But knowing your budget will make finding your game a LOT easier.

joeblow

You're making a ridiculous comparison and you know it; just stop. If you honestly think Pinball has the same momentum as something like DMC, God of War, Halo, etc., you're out of you mind. Do you think we should start a thread for Zaccaria Pinball, too? Because guess how many people on GAF play that? Probably less than the number of fingers and toes you have...It just makes sense to keep pinball talk confined in one location.

Having a thread about Pinball that encompasses virtual and physical makes sense relative to the subject matter at hand. It doesn't make sense to have a "Character Action Game" thread because of how absurdly different every one of them is. Virtual pinball and physical pinball are so intimately related that it makes sense. Example:

I have played a physical Adams Family. The way you play TAF in real life versus the virtual game is nearly the exact same. Of course, the physical table has "real physics" versus simulated physics, but the game is the same. Discussing the table and how it plays and how it SHOULD play is a way to better understand how to approach the game in a physical and virtual sense. Nudging and ball control are skills that you have to approach very differently between physical and digital, but the CONCEPT is identical.

Discussing modern Stern tables or games that aren't available on TPA doesn't take away from any of the weight that TPA holds. In fact, it excites people into wanting to play more pinball (virtual or physical). On top of that, it can help understand how to deconstruct games and learn how to play ANY pin better. There are a few of us who visit this thread multiple times a day, and I don't think the OP is one of them. If we simply had the first post keep track of major updates, it would alleviate your complaint. But quite frankly, Farsight has had SO FEW announcements of value, that you're better off searching their dedicated forums.

You're going to disagree with me, and that's fine. I'm not going to change your mind. But I stand firm by my stance that the two worlds of pinball are so interconnected that it makes sense to keep all pinball discussion together.

C'mon man; I shouldn't have to hold your hand to lead you to the point; you're smarter than that.

I'm not saying popular modern beat'em ups are the ONLY example of how dedicated threads and shared threads of a genre can live separately in harmony. On the first page of the community sub-forum I clicked on a thread for the Senran Kagura series of games, something I've never even heard of. They discuss topic related stuff there, and the first post has links to all of the individual game threads for specific discussions.

There are a ton of examples, and no one is saying that dedicated topics should not *on occasion* discuss related off-topi stuff. But The vast majority of discussion? Simply do that in a general thread of the topic like all the other games do at this site when general subject talk is popular.

Again, this TPA thread is the only one here at the forum with the bizarre setup of most posts *not* being about the actual thread topic. As I pointed out, a logical separation works just fine for other topics, but you want to pretend that somehow pinball is different. It isn't.

With the first posts of each separate thread filled with links to other threads, people who want to support a topic will easily do so. If a thread dies from lack of interest (which wouldn't happen to a general pinball community thread), it will be in the same situation as any of the other hundreds of game threads that people aren't interested in.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
C'mon man; I shouldn't have to hold your hand to lead you to the point you're smarter than that.

I'm not saying popular modern beat'em ups are the ONLY example of how dedicated threads and shared threads of a genre can live separately in harmony. On the first page of the community sub-forum I clicked on a thread for the Senran Kagura series of games, something I've never even heard of. They discuss topic related stuff there, and the first post has links to all of the individual game threads for specific discussions.

There are a ton of examples, and no one is saying that dedicated topics should not *on occasion* discuss related off-topi stuff. But The vast majority of discussion? Simply do that in a general thread of the topic like all the other games do at this site when general subject talk is popular.

Again, this TPA thread is the only one here at the forum with the bizarre setup of most posts *not* being about the actual thread topic. As I pointed out, a logical separation works just find for other topics, but you want to pretend that somehow pinball is different. It isn't.

With the first posts of each separate thread filled with links to other threads, people who want to support a topic will easily do so. If a thread dies from lack of interest (which wouldn't happen to a general pinball community thread), it will be in the same situation as any of the other hundreds of game threads that people aren't interested in.

Let's just agree to disagree mate.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
From TPA's Facebook page:

The stand-alone version of Elvira's™ Scared Stiff Pinball has been release on Google Play. This stand-alone app is meant to target Elvira fans and introduce them to the Pinball Arcade, but it does include a Time Attack mode which is only playable through the app. Head on over and give it a 5 star rating! Thanks everyone!

Play Store Link

I wonder what the purpose of this is? I know they say what they're doing, but it seems kind of pointless since you can trial the table in game?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey guys,

Now that it's Buyin' Time I am giving a blatant FU to the thread title and asking for machine and vendor recommendations.
-San Jose
-Need it to be shipped to me and preferably set up as well.
-Somewhat family-friendly theme would be nice. Medieval Madness would probably be on the edge of this, but awesome enough that I'd consider it.
-Cost largely irrelevant. I'm getting one pinball and it's going to take up some real space in the house want it to be a good one.
-Relatively low maintenance counts. I don't have time to learn every little detail about the mechanics of the machine, but I also don't mind bringing someone in once every few months to fix any big issues. If the machine breaks down every day that's an issue though (I don't think it will average >10 plays/days though).

I'm halfway tempted to just get a new machine off bmigaming although the new Stern themes are mostly MEH based on my needs (I'm not even a Metallica fan but I'd totally get one if it weren't for the theme). Medieval Madness Remake seems kind of interesting. Everything noteworthy coming down the pipe seems pretty questionable for one reason or another.

Thoughts welcome!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The point of the time attack mode? It'd be to test a new way of doing tournaments.

I more meant why they did that given that the table can already be trialed in the TPA app. I think a timed tourney thing is killer smart, though.

As for AstroLad...

If you're going to buy NIB, I would call Game Exchange in Colorado directly. They can give you the best price shipped. Just tell them you saw them on Pinside and wanted to know what the best price they can give you for a given game is.

Games you want to look for?

NIB games:

• Stern Star Trek Pro/Premium ($4000-5500) - incredible game, CAN be somewhat repetitive.
  • Jersey Jack Wizard of Oz ($7500+) - very deep game, looks amazing, theme is hit or miss.
  • Medieval Madness Remake ($8000) - it's MM, so you know what it is. If you want a remake, PM me. I know a guy or two that I talk to regularly looking to sell their preorder spot (at NO gain on their end).
I do not think TWD, Mustang, or WWE would be worth your investment for a single game right now. MET is fun, but the theme needs to be something you love and feel comfortable with.

The benefit to the newer titles is that you WOULD have less maintenance right now. Setup may be tough, but you can find locals or get help from us here to walk you through it. And as for new in box games, you simply would just plug, play, and tweak (which comes with ANY game).

X-Men is a game I love, but some do not enjoy. Same with LOTR and Spider-Man. All three are games I can't get enough of, but you just may not be the type to love them. Theme is also something you should be wary of. There's a GORGEOUS SM out in CA that someone is asking like $6800 for (probably would sell for $6500) - tricked out in every way possible, HUO, etc etc.

Older titles are hard...Most will require you to be more on your game with fixing issues, and on top of that, you NEED to play them to make a decision. B/W are amazing, but can be tough to come by. And on top of that, when they're in great shape, they get pretty expensive. A Twilight Zone in amazing condition will run you $5500+ I imagine. Adams Family probably around $5000, Indiana Jones (Williams) is probably a $4800 game, too. Something like Transformers LE can be found for sub-$5k in some cases, but some people hate that game.

You need to either find a bunch of games to play, or learn how to install Visual Pinball or something to at least SAMPLE the tables.

Check out the Pinside Top 100 - do any of those games catch your eye? Check the Top 200 while you're at it (some great games in the 101-200 range of ratings).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks for the awesome insights, and especially the references. I've actually played nearly every title I'm interested in so that's helpful. I'm not a pro player, and more someone who bounces around between titles so wouldn't call myself an expert. Is Game Exchange good for older titles too or mostly new?

Blu10

If you want it set up, a quick google search gives me pinball warehouse (no website, oddly enough), and planetary pinball (they have MM) in san Jose. I know literally nothing about either one of those companies, but it is probably a good place to start. Also, sign up on pinside.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the awesome insights, and especially the references. I've actually played nearly every title I'm interested in so that's helpful. I'm not a pro player, and more someone who bounces around between titles so wouldn't call myself an expert. Is Game Exchange good for older titles too or mostly new?

I honestly don't know about their used/reconditioned stuff. JJ over at GEX is primarily a distributor, so his best prices will be on the NIB stuff. If you're looking for used, Pinside is PROBABLY going to be your best bet. Those folks will likely be selling at or around fair market value.

What are some of the games you've got on your list? :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Good q. Offhand:

-Medieval Madness (seen some mixed impressions of remake though, if it's good this is a very appealing choice. would maybe like a premium...just because?)
-Metallica Premium (not great theme but I love this game, especially tricked out)
-Simpsons Pinball Party (just a total sucker for the theme -- sorry! looks like serious maintenance though with the garage)
-Fish Tales (only played this a few times but dig it)

Tizoc

I'm in "Europe" (Australia) and apparently the download codes for TAF (via Kickstarter) are unavailable... so I think it's safe to say the actual table is unavailable as well.

But if you already have the code... are you in the US?

I have a US PSN account.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
MM - A great game. You can get an original for less than a remake, but the remake is, well, new. I don't know of the problems, so take them with a grain of salt.

MET Premium - Have you played the Pro? I've only played Pro and really enjoyed it. I do wonder if the Premium is worth the extra $2k or not. Some folks say of course, some say no way. Something to consider! Save that $2k and put it towards a Fish Tales! ;)
Did some research, and finding a Premium might be tough. LED Pro might be the most affordable way to go on MET.

TSPP - I don't love this game...The theme is well integrated (like Family Guy), but the game feels weird to me. However, if you love it, you can get nice ones for a great price. $4000-4600 is not unheard of.

Fish Tales - If you love it, excellent! But if you're going to go this route (as in, slightly cheaper) and are willing to spend $8000 for a MMr, you should consider getting great examples of a Fish Tales and one other game. Just giving options!

However, there is ONE thing to know about pinball ownership:

You will have to learn to fix and maintain your game eventually.

So you're worried about the garage on TSPP? Don't let that stop you from getting the game. Instead, embrace the magic of the internet and the helpfulness of Pinside. You post an issue, SOMEONE will be able to help you diagnose it. Worried that the diverter might stop working on The Shadow? Don't worry - everyone has dealt with something "not working" at least once and can help you start fixing it.

Pinball ownership is a hobby. :)

I have a US PSN account.

Have you tried contacting Farsight directly?

Shaneus

For those that are interested, the latest Coast 2 Coast had an interview with Bowen Kerins (three-time PAPA champion) and he said he vastly prefers Timeshock on iOS to TPA. And that a lot of pro skills he uses in real life (live catching, drop catching, dead-flipper passes) he can use in the game. Are you reading this, Farsight?!?

I have a US PSN account.
Code generator worked for me yesterday. Finally got to play TAF on the PS4. Finally.

Astrolad: I think nicoga has you covered on pretty much every point! If I can make a few more recommendations for family-friendly pins:

* Ripley's. Yes, I own it, but if you're not trying to complete the game and just play modes then I'm sure lots of people would love it. Some are quite tricky (multiball modes that require different ramps to be hit... does require quite a bit of skill) but theme-wise it's super solid.
* World Cup Soccer 94. Bright, colourful, fantastic sound and obvious targets to hit with great audio-visual feedback (GOOOOOOAAAL) which IMO is second only to busting castles in MM.
* Spider-man and Transformers, while being "darker" themes, I can see would be pretty good and has obvious shots (which I consider as a big draw for casual players). I don't think either would be going for very cheap these days, though.

Don't be fooled into thinking that a newer machine would be lower maintenance than an older one, either. They may last a little longer from setting up to having to tweak/adjust/fix something, but in the long run it will be about the same. In fact, you'd almost be better off getting an older one you know has been running well (I'm talking pre-2000s) as it'd be more likely to last longer.

Oh, almost forgot: Revenge from Mars would be *perfect*. I was going to get one solely on the basis of it being super easy for casuals to play (just hit the targets appearing on the video) and AFAIK are built really solidly, too. Should be cheap as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For those that are interested, the latest Coast 2 Coast had an interview with Bowen Kerins (three-time PAPA champion) and he said he vastly prefers Timeshock on iOS to TPA. And that a lot of pro skills he uses in real life (live catching, drop catching, dead-flipper passes) he can use in the game. Are you reading this, Farsight?!?

Code generator worked for me yesterday. Finally got to play TAF on the PS4. Finally.

Astrolad: I think nicoga has you covered on pretty much every point! If I can make a few more recommendations for family-friendly pins:

* Ripley's. Yes, I own it, but if you're not trying to complete the game and just play modes then I'm sure lots of people would love it. Some are quite tricky (multiball modes that require different ramps to be hit... does require quite a bit of skill) but theme-wise it's super solid.
* World Cup Soccer 94. Bright, colourful, fantastic sound and obvious targets to hit with great audio-visual feedback (GOOOOOOAAAL) which IMO is second only to busting castles in MM.
* Spider-man and Transformers, while being "darker" themes, I can see would be pretty good and has obvious shots (which I consider as a big draw for casual players). I don't think either would be going for very cheap these days, though.

Don't be fooled into thinking that a newer machine would be lower maintenance than an older one, either. They may last a little longer from setting up to having to tweak/adjust/fix something, but in the long run it will be about the same. In fact, you'd almost be better off getting an older one you know has been running well (I'm talking pre-2000s) as it'd be more likely to last longer.

Oh, almost forgot: Revenge from Mars would be *perfect*. I was going to get one solely on the basis of it being super easy for casuals to play (just hit the targets appearing on the video) and AFAIK are built really solidly, too. Should be cheap as well.

Bowen is my favorite "pro" pinball player. I love listening to him talk about his experiences and watching him play. He's so much more down to earth than some of the other guys you see.

And as Shaneus said - maintenance is something you HAVE to accept. No pin will EVER be maintenance free. The trick is accepting that fact and diving in with a strong head about you! ;)

RFM is cool, but I would play it first. I loved the idea of the game, but just didn't have a ton of fun playing it. Could have been condition/location - but they CAN be had for cheap.

E: Is Timeshock coming to Google Play ever?

Shaneus

Bowen is my favorite "pro" pinball player. I love listening to him talk about his experiences and watching him play. He's so much more down to earth than some of the other guys you see.

And as Shaneus said - maintenance is something you HAVE to accept. No pin will EVER be maintenance free. The trick is accepting that fact and diving in with a strong head about you! ;)

RFM is cool, but I would play it first. I loved the idea of the game, but just didn't have a ton of fun playing it. Could have been condition/location - but they CAN be had for cheap.

E: Is Timeshock coming to Google Play ever?
Agreed on Bowen. It's easiest listening to him dissect his play style more than anyone else, although obviously it's best listening to all and developing your own strategies. Hearing Bowen talk about Elwin switching up his strategy was super interesting, I'll have to watch the stream again.

Agree on RFM as well. It definitely needs to be played in person first, I just think for super casual folk, it's a lot easier to say to someone "shoot for the alien" rather than "shoot for the flashing light" :)

Not sure on Timeshock. I think it was always going to be iOS first, not sure about other platforms. But I DO know that the latest version of Zaccaria is out on Android already. You should try it! Has even more advanced physics (tap/flipper passes!) and still has a shitload of tables. You have money from WCS now, no excuse ;)

So Addams Family is for PS4 only atm right? When will the PS3/Vita ver. be ready?
I think towards the end of the month? Don't quote me on that, but I'm sure I saw mentioned on the TPA-Fans forum there was a date of around the 19th? or 29th? My memory sucks.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
got my arm and vesa adapter ..everything seems to be working fine even tho the arm they shipped is rated for less weight then amazon said.

should work out with the pinball wizard controller just fine. I have to put the telescopic bases from the 27 on my secondary monitor.

cWSptAX.png
qxn2SCV.png
VZlovjz.png

Shaneus

Have you decided on getting the pinball wizard controller for sure? From what I can tell, it's WAY too expensive (isn't it around $300?) and you can jimmy up a basic controller quite cheaply. Hell, I had an old motherboard box I mounted some arcade buttons onto (each side), then ran some wires from it to a wired 360 pad's LB/RB points on it's PCB. It's hella cheap and nasty, but it beats having to pay some gnarly amount for something that may or may not ever be officially supported by TPA (or anything else).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I'm gonna get a different one built by virtuapin
Uses all the same stuff thats in their cabinets..controller , digital plunger so it should work with everything out there, and have full analog nudging.

my understanding unlike the original pinball wizard one that emulates a keyboard this will show up as joystick and the plunger and nudge are analog sticks/triggers.

Its spendy..but its way cheaper then even a minicab which goes for 3k..I just don't have the tools to built my own cab just yet..I'm hoping this will get me by

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Uses all the same stuff thats in their cabinets..controller , digital plunger so it should work with everything out there, and have full analog nudging.

my understanding unlike the original pinball wizard one that emulates a keyboard this will show up as joystick and the plunger and nudge are analog sticks/triggers.

Its spendy..but its way cheaper then even a minicab which goes for 3k..I just don't have the tools to built my own cab just yet..I'm hoping this will get me by

Pics and price range please?

Shaneus

Anyone have some tips for WWE? What to expect or anything I should listen to, podcast-wise? Fairly big comp this weekend, any info I can arm myself with is welcomed <3

Tizoc

I think towards the end of the month? Don't quote me on that, but I'm sure I saw mentioned on the TPA-Fans forum there was a date of around the 19th? or 29th? My memory sucks.

Thanks, I don't have a PS4 YET and mainly pledged so I can have it on my Vita ;D

The family will be driving about the upper Midwest this July, including the Chicago area. Any pinball manufacturers still run tours for the public? Would be thrilled to see how they are made -- we've got three enthusiasts in our family. =)

Shaneus

Came sixth in the state finals this weekend on 2x LE and 2x Pro WWE machines. Came so close in qualifying for national finals (half a million on one of my games would've clinched it) but considering I was 12thish last year, very happy.

Think I've finally overcome the nerves bug with tournaments, barely felt any anxiety (compared to other tournaments) during my games :D

Well since the last two updates, TPA doesn't work for me. I haven't isolated a way of making it run yet by disabling all the different screens / options etc I have, and I saw a lot of XP users having the same issue after the Cyclone update, but that is apparently fixed for them now and I'm on windows 8.1.

Frustrating.

It's my g-sync monitor causing the issue. Gragh. I will let farsight know.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Came sixth in the state finals this weekend on 2x LE and 2x Pro WWE machines. Came so close in qualifying for national finals (half a million on one of my games would've clinched it) but considering I was 12thish last year, very happy.

Think I've finally overcome the nerves bug with tournaments, barely felt any anxiety (compared to other tournaments) during my games :D

So what did you think of WWE after having more time on it?

Lettuce

Im actually considering selling my Pincab, since i built it about 2 years ago i can count the amount of times ive used it on 1 hand and the last 12 or so months i haven't used it at all.....i seem to have more fun building things than actually using them nowadays......

Lettuce

Im based in the UK so i think shipping would be an issue :).

Regarding using it more...not sure convenience maybe, im at my PC so i just tend to play it there really.

Spec wise, off the top of my head i5 cpu with 8gb ram running 3 GPUs (at the time VisualPinball was having issues running backglass, dmd and playfield and The Pinball Arcade wasnt even a thing when i built this). 42" Sharp Aquos, 32" Sony Brava and a 17" Dell. Has 2 Solenoids for flipper feedback, a shaker motor, strobe light on the back of the cab uses LEDWiz program for the super intense led flashers.

Shaneus

Jesus. I'm not a big fan of full-size virtual cabs, but that is a thing of beauty. I still wouldn't dive in on one, but if I did that's what I'd want, no question.

So what did you think of WWE after having more time on it?
Hm. Some random, disjointed thoughts:

It's different, and I do kinda like it but I don't really love it. Some of the shots are okay, some feel a bit off and the ring up the top makes it feel like a game of two parts rather than being a whole machine that flows together.

If I were to change it, I'd do something with the pops (they feel pointless where they are) or remove the little plastic hole from the ring that the ball drops into.

I liked the play of the pro more than the LE, the spinner in the ring just made any ring play unfun IMO. Oh, and on one of the machines the rubber on the lower right ring kicker was starting to show heavy degradation.

The outlanes felt REALLY forgiving and even though it has the bigger Trudeau gap between the flippers, it wasn't ever really difficult to prevent the ball from going down the middle (and missed upper ramp shots almost always went straight to the flippers).

If I see one on-site I'd definitely play it and I like it MUCH better than TWD (there are far fewer, if any, places that will send the ball into heavy danger zones, let alone unstoppable drains) but I don't dig it quite as much as ST or even MET. A friend of mine even stated how "flat" the game felt as well, with there not really being much use of elevation changes with the ball, if that makes sense.

Didn't see any issues with the ball staying in the ring for too long, though. Not as much as what I'd seen in videos at least, anyway.

Happy to answer any specific questions if you can think of anything I haven't covered :)

Hey pinball fans. I have a question that I think only the folks in this thread can answer.

I'm an NES collector and I'm curious about the versions of Pin-Bot and High Speed that Rare programmed for the console. Were these the first instances of real pinball tables being adapted into video game format? I would think a PC adaptation might have come first, but maybe these were the first for a home console? I can't get much satisfaction from Google on this. Appreciate any insight you all might have.

Top Bottom