• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Hey pinball fans. I have a question that I think only the folks in this thread can answer.

I'm an NES collector and I'm curious about the versions of Pin-Bot and High Speed that Rare programmed for the console. Were these the first instances of real pinball tables being adapted into video game format? I would think a PC adaptation might have come first, but maybe these were the first for a home console? I can't get much satisfaction from Google on this. Appreciate any insight you all might have.
Kind of. I believe they were the first licensed ones, but there are other unofficial ones that made were made for PC (and Apple I think?).

For example:
GNmB8ugm.png

is essentially a very basic version of this:
KFpp36Em.jpg

And this:
rXVfjpmm.png

is basically this:
0JqDLnMm.jpg

But very homebrew and very, very unofficial. But were they technically adapted from real-life machines? Yup.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Jesus. I'm not a big fan of full-size virtual cabs, but that is a thing of beauty. I still wouldn't dive in on one, but if I did that's what I'd want, no question.

Hm. Some random, disjointed thoughts:

It's different, and I do kinda like it but I don't really love it. Some of the shots are okay, some feel a bit off and the ring up the top makes it feel like a game of two parts rather than being a whole machine that flows together.

If I were to change it, I'd do something with the pops (they feel pointless where they are) or remove the little plastic hole from the ring that the ball drops into.

I liked the play of the pro more than the LE, the spinner in the ring just made any ring play unfun IMO. Oh, and on one of the machines the rubber on the lower right ring kicker was starting to show heavy degradation.

The outlanes felt REALLY forgiving and even though it has the bigger Trudeau gap between the flippers, it wasn't ever really difficult to prevent the ball from going down the middle (and missed upper ramp shots almost always went straight to the flippers).

If I see one on-site I'd definitely play it and I like it MUCH better than TWD (there are far fewer, if any, places that will send the ball into heavy danger zones, let alone unstoppable drains) but I don't dig it quite as much as ST or even MET. A friend of mine even stated how "flat" the game felt as well, with there not really being much use of elevation changes with the ball, if that makes sense.

Didn't see any issues with the ball staying in the ring for too long, though. Not as much as what I'd seen in videos at least, anyway.

Happy to answer any specific questions if you can think of anything I haven't covered :)

Interesting thoughts. The ring does make the game look boring, but the main playfield looks interesting enough. The colors and "wow" factor of the look really makes the machine stand out.

I found that these SDTM drains on TWD everyone talked about were non-existent on the machine I played. Pinside makes it sound like there are a few tweaks you can make to help with the pops. As for the Prison, it's no different from Sparky, so I think some people are just hating on it to hate on it atm.

The spinner in the ring does seem like it would ruin the experience. The randomness it introduces wouldn't seem very fun. I liked it on X-Men LE because it was during a multiball, so even SDTM drains from that could be saved from a generous ball save. And the pops DO seem pointless...Almost like an afterthought. It's almost like someone up at the top of the ladder said, "Pinball games need pop bumpers, so find a way to include them no matter what."

What did you think of the little LCD screen in the game? Did it add ANYTHING to the game?

Thanks for the info, Shaneus! That's pretty well what I thought. I think that makes these two games kind of historically significant -- or simply interesting at the very least! As a collector, I like looking for stuff like that. If anyone has other knowledge about this, I'd love to know more.

Anyone has any impressions as to how those two games played? They seem very well done for 8-bit hardware.

Velinos

My wife and I had a great time at MGC on Saturday. There was a bit of a mix up where a few people got let into the vendor hall half an hour early, but no big deal. There were still plenty of games and good deals to be found.

My main goal for the show was to try out as many pinball machines as possible and this show had more than plenty. I was in the arcade room most of Saturday and I think I got a game in on maybe half the machines there. I did hit my goal of being able to try out Pin-bot, Lord of the Rings, and Swords of Fury. It was a shame that the sound from Swords of Fury was being drowned out by the machines around it, so I didn't get to hear it yell LIONMAN!!!! My wife really liked Johnny Mnemonic so we made sure to get in a couple games on that machine. She is not a pinball player, but she gave it a try and by the end of the day was catching balls and nudging like a regular.

It was cool to see everyone's tricked out machines. I liked the Cirqus Voltaire with the fluorescent light in the ramp and the Color DMDs all looked really sharp. The Xenon with the bright blue LEDs looked cool, but hurt my eyes after a while in the dark room. I had the same issue with the flash lamps on Ripley's Believe It or Not, but the light up of the shrunken head looked really good. These machines look WAY better in person than on The Pinball Arcade. I ran into a couple minor functional issues and occasionally a machine would be down, but they ended up getting fixed promptly.

I was very impressed by Jersey Jack's machines. Both of their machines are beautiful. I didn't really care much for the theme of Wizard of Oz, but I did enjoy playing it a lot more than I had expected. The Hobbit was a lot of fun. The popups in the playfield and the Smaug toy taunting you was really cool, as well as the movie clips on the LCD. I had trouble hitting the center ramps, usually getting a u-turn at best. I saw others hitting them no problem, so I chalk that up to me just not being good at pinball. I have read people's concerns about the open playfield, but the enemies pop up frequently enough that I do not see that as being much of an issue. My wife and I are both big Lord of the Rings fans and we liked The Hobbit so much that we ended up purchasing one at the show.

There were a few other notable machines. I got to try out America's Most Haunted. It was an alright game, but I didn't last very long to get a good impression. No big deal, since Spooky Pinball was holding a tournament on that machine to see who gets to buy the last two machines. The Big Lebowski did not really impress me. It was the same machine as was at Expo 2014 and the upper playfield flipper wasn't working, so I couldn't get to the bowling mode. The main playfield shots were alright, they just didn't do much since there was no real code behind them. The rug was interesting though you had to hit it pretty hard to get it to register. My guess is that the code hadn't been updated since Expo, so they may have already made vast improvements over what I saw. There was also a Bride of Pinbot 2.0, which was a lot of fun. I liked the new rules and it helped that the machine was in perfect working order. There was one point though where my wife was playing and after she hit the ball with a flipper, it must have had a ton of backspin on it because it jumped the flipper and drained. But hey, that's pinball for you.

I look forward to next year's show and hope to do the full weekend next time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Woah - congrats on The Hobbit purchase mate! That's fantastic! JJP puts out a solid machine that really is not like anything else being offered. I'm going to assume they didn't give you any sense of an ETA?

Also, I have to ask because I've been hunting for over a month now...

What did you think of LOTR?

And I have heard that AMH is a tough game to judge unless you get some good time on it. But hey, what does it matter? Spooky Pinball is sold out, so they did SOMETHING right.

Velinos

Woah - congrats on The Hobbit purchase mate! That's fantastic! JJP puts out a solid machine that really is not like anything else being offered. I'm going to assume they didn't give you any sense of an ETA?

Also, I have to ask because I've been hunting for over a month now...

What did you think of LOTR?

And I have heard that AMH is a tough game to judge unless you get some good time on it. But hey, what does it matter? Spooky Pinball is sold out, so they did SOMETHING right.

The distributor said that he is telling people mid to late summer, but that might just be his best guess. Not sure how they are planning on shipping out the different versions (I went with the LE).

LOTR was a lot of fun. I played a couple games prior on PinballMAME, but I did horribly on there. The actual machine was way better. I played one game and I got to the Fellowship Multiball (I think that is what I did). This machine was also tricked out with color DMD and the Palantir mod, maybe others that I did not recognize. It looked really good. It is still on my list for a game I would buy in the future.

I am very happy for Spooky Pinball and am excited for game #2. Still hoping that they will make Ben Heck's Bible Adventures game someday. I did hear that they have an AMH on location in Benton, WI, Spooky's hometown, where it is 25 cents a game. That is only a little over an hour away for me, so I'll have to play more games in the future.

Shaneus

Interesting thoughts. The ring does make the game look boring, but the main playfield looks interesting enough. The colors and "wow" factor of the look really makes the machine stand out.
It does stand out from other games for sure, especially next to TWD. What stood out even more (or perhaps didn't) was the difference between the LE and Pro. The spinner and the mini chair flipper thing were basically it, there was nothing else that made the game feel that different.

I found that these SDTM drains on TWD everyone talked about were non-existent on the machine I played. Pinside makes it sound like there are a few tweaks you can make to help with the pops. As for the Prison, it's no different from Sparky, so I think some people are just hating on it to hate on it atm.
I think it's partially a software thing but also a layout thing. On Metallica, at least on the Pro, the captive ball for Coffin MB was sometimes enough to stop it going down. But there was a code update that fixed the magnet just letting go of the ball and it was fixed. I think it's been improved on TWD, but I believe it's far from fully done.

The spinner in the ring does seem like it would ruin the experience. The randomness it introduces wouldn't seem very fun. I liked it on X-Men LE because it was during a multiball, so even SDTM drains from that could be saved from a generous ball save. And the pops DO seem pointless...Almost like an afterthought. It's almost like someone up at the top of the ladder said, "Pinball games need pop bumpers, so find a way to include them no matter what."
Pretty much. I was kinda the same with the pops on Mustang as well, and it's funny that they're both in the same location.

What did you think of the little LCD screen in the game? Did it add ANYTHING to the game?
Honestly, I barely even noticed it during gameplay. I don't think it helped that I was playing it in a fairly high-ceiling area with some gnarly reflection at times, but I think the position of it could've been improved. Hell, even when I was watching someone play it wasn't until the second or third ball that I actually took note of it. But again, bright area, might stand out more in a pub/bar or basement.

Thanks for the info, Shaneus! That's pretty well what I thought. I think that makes these two games kind of historically significant -- or simply interesting at the very least! As a collector, I like looking for stuff like that. If anyone has other knowledge about this, I'd love to know more.

Anyone has any impressions as to how those two games played? They seem very well done for 8-bit hardware.
I have vague memories of playing Midnight Magic a LONG time ago on my old Amstrad XT (PC1640) in glorious CGA. From memory, the physics weren't flash (obviously) and were akin to Pong or Arkanoid/Breakout. Hell, I didn't even know it was based on a real machine until fairly recently.
Same story with the Pinball Fantasies/Dreams titles. Pretty sure most are based (or influenced) by real-life games, but don't ask me which ones.

It was cool to see everyone's tricked out machines. I liked the Cirqus Voltaire with the fluorescent light in the ramp and the Color DMDs all looked really sharp. The Xenon with the bright blue LEDs looked cool, but hurt my eyes after a while in the dark room. I had the same issue with the flash lamps on Ripley's Believe It or Not, but the light up of the shrunken head looked really good. These machines look WAY better in person than on The Pinball Arcade. I ran into a couple minor functional issues and occasionally a machine would be down, but they ended up getting fixed promptly.
Congrats on the purchase of The Hobbit! What was the deal with the shrunken head... did it have some special lighting on it? I have some flashing RGB LEDs in the spotlights on mine, but I'd always love to hear new ideas.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Regarding using it more...not sure convenience maybe, im at my PC so i just tend to play it there really.

Ok I'm genuinely curious ..would a controller at your pc be something you'd think you'd use or just stick with controller/keyboard?

I love the idea of a cabinet..but for me it would be forced to be in the basement den area vs my pc desk area just due to limitation on space and I'm wondering if I'd have the same issue later where I don't use it cuz its not convenient.

The convenience now of one monitor in portrait on a 45deg angle to play on my desk, while still having the other monitor avail to stream shows or work on is pretty compelling.

Velinos

Congrats on the purchase of The Hobbit! What was the deal with the shrunken head... did it have some special lighting on it? I have some flashing RGB LEDs in the spotlights on mine, but I'd always love to hear new ideas.

Thanks. The room had the lights off and the only light was from the pinball and arcade machines. When I stepped up to RBION I could not see the shrunken head, not sure if that is normal with stock lighting or if the machine was customized in some way. I just thought that it was cool shooting the ball into what appeared to be darkness and then seeing the flashing light on the face of the shrunken head as it was talking. I am just used to playing a lot of these games on TPA where everything is well illuminated.

Shaneus

Thanks. The room had the lights off and the only light was from the pinball and arcade machines. When I stepped up to RBION I could not see the shrunken head, not sure if that is normal with stock lighting or if the machine was customized in some way. I just thought that it was cool shooting the ball into what appeared to be darkness and then seeing the flashing light on the face of the shrunken head as it was talking. I am just used to playing a lot of these games on TPA where everything is well illuminated.
Oh... I like that idea! Might have a tinker with that.

Velinos

Now that I think about it some more, I think the RBION had LEDs. If the machine had super bright LEDs in the backglass and on the playfield, I could see how that bright light would drown out the shrunken head.

Edit: Oh yeah, there were more things to mention.

Whoa Nellie Big Juicy Mellons was actually pretty fun. You may look at it and say that it looks like one of those EM machines that you see for sale for $500, but it is still a solid Stern machine. It plays like an EM, but it has SS guts and I applaud Stern for trying something new with this machine.

The one game I played that I really did not like was Who Dunnit. The game was set to 5 balls and maybe it was because we didn't really know the rules, but we both wanted to stop playing by the second ball. It kind of sucked having to sit there for a few minutes draining the remaining balls so that the person waiting could play.

Another thing I realized that I do not like about some machines is when you are trying to start a multiplayer game and the machine does not immediately give you feedback that the second player was added. Some games wouldn't always add another player when you pressed the start button. Others it just wasn't clear that one was added so you end up with a extra player. I found this issue with Who Dunnit, Corvette, and Dungeons & Dragons.

Lettuce

Ok I'm genuinely curious ..would a controller at your pc be something you'd think you'd use or just stick with controller/keyboard?

I love the idea of a cabinet..but for me it would be forced to be in the basement den area vs my pc desk area just due to limitation on space and I'm wondering if I'd have the same issue later where I don't use it cuz its not convenient.

The convenience now of one monitor in portrait on a 45deg angle to play on my desk, while still having the other monitor avail to stream shows or work on is pretty compelling.

Hmmm, im the type of person who doesn't like a mess around my PC, depends what ya storage situation if and if you can easily store the pinball controller away when not in use. I'd probably end up using it until the novelty wore off and then go back to a pad...but thats just me

Shaneus

Now that I think about it some more, I think the RBION had LEDs. If the machine had super bright LEDs in the backglass and on the playfield, I could see how that bright light would drown out the shrunken head.
Mine's LEDed, and I use a special LED controller so it doesn't do that weird flickering thing like what happens in TPA (because that's how it controls regular incandescent globes, not LEDs). It looks amazing with it fully decked out (and I don't think I'm finished with mine yet).
Edit: Here is an example of what LEDs kinda do before and after this PCB (called LEDOCD)

In other news... Internet Famous! (I'm the redhead with the beard)
N8zL8Hg.jpg

CZS5LPS.jpg

And also a little bit of coverage here :)

snaffles

Mine's LEDed, and I use a special LED controller so it doesn't do that weird flickering thing like what happens in TPA (because that's how it controls regular incandescent globes, not LEDs). It looks amazing with it fully decked out (and I don't think I'm finished with mine yet).
Edit: Here is an example of what LEDs kinda do before and after this PCB (called LEDOCD)

In other news... Internet Famous! (I'm the redhead with the beard)
N8zL8Hg.jpg

CZS5LPS.jpg

And also a little bit of coverage here :)
The most amazing part about all this to me is that apparently Timezone arcades still exist, I don't think I have seen one in 20 years.

Shaneus

The most amazing part about all this to me is that apparently Timezone arcades still exist, I don't think I have seen one in 20 years.
Yeah, they're pretty shit these days though. At most you might find two or three pinnies in there, but the vast, VAST majority are fucking token/ticket games.

Vast.

Any word on that UI revamp for Steam? I'd really, really like them to fix their menus so that they are completely controller-friendly and easy to use with Big Picture.

Ahahahahahahahaha

Haha, I know. It is just so annoying, though -- only the menus are holding it back from Big Picture support, in-game the support is fine. Got an Alienware Alpha coming and would so love to more easily play (yeah, I know I can use the controller as a mouse pointer and navigate, but ick!).

Shaneus

Haha, I know. It is just so annoying, though -- only the menus are holding it back from Big Picture support, in-game the support is fine. Got an Alienware Alpha coming and would so love to more easily play (yeah, I know I can use the controller as a mouse pointer and navigate, but ick!).
Do you mean more for the initial menu where you select either the game or the config? If so, you could create a "non-Steam" shortcut in Steam and link it directly to the .exe (I would think).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What's a reasonable price for a NIB MET Premium? Have someone offering here for ~$7000, and it's local so I could go pick it up.

Velinos

What's a reasonable price for a NIB MET Premium? Have someone offering here for ~$7000, and it's local so I could go pick it up.

Pro's go for around $4400 I hear, not sure about Premiums. Assuming the same percentage below MSRP, I'd imagine you are looking at a little over $6k. After shipping you are probably getting close to $7k. Not sure about any of those numbers, so you might want to check with a distributor.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Premium's are getting really really hard to find, so it may be an OK deal.

For what it's worth, the Pro is (IMHO) the better game. And as Velinos alluded to, you can get one for sub-$5k right now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ahhh...how is it better?

Here's what a Pinside user wrote on the subject (note that this is before the LED Pro, so lighting comments are moot):

Personally, I love the pro.

I am a premium owner and upgraded from a pro. But that move was done mainly because I love Metallica as a game and will probably keep it forever. In my opinion, the pro is the way to go for anyone on the fence. Add a pinballbulbs led kit and the game is lit very well. I have a flasher mod in testing that improves the pro light show a lot in substitution for the color segmented GI effects on the premium. Granted its not exactly the same but in some regards it feels similar.

The premium has several disadvantages stock over the pro with a nice led kit. The led boards used on the premium are way dimmer than standard LEDs you get from most vendors. Normally this is fine and it is fine in most games. But on Metallica, the sparky inserts are big and hard to see if they're lit. The four feature inserts are critical to know the game state. And they're hard to see as well. I have solved all this on my premium but using special board LEDs. It's not something most can do. It may be something you only notice after playing a well led pro also since you see how much nicer those inserts can look.

The premium square block is nowhere near as fun to shoot at as the round captive ball on the pro. Because of this, I kept my pro for so long. I finally put a real captive ball into the premium replacing the block and love the result.

The color changing arrows on the premium are not as helpful as you would think. And the red arrows on the pro stood out more.

The snake jaw is very helpful in game play on the premium. The hammer is really cool. The moving cross I might prefer the stationary light up one on the pro as it keeps the flashers behind the cross covered.

The features on the premium are just a small upgrade for each. But they add up. I'm happy I made the switch. But only with hours of tweaking ( ok I spent hours tweaking both games ).

I'd probably suggest a pro to any new buyer. Nib pro is about $2000 cheaper then nib premium. It's just not worth that. Spend some of the $2000 adding a decent sound system, shaker (both these you'll want on premium also), and lighting.

Now if money is no object, you can probably say the Premium is totally fine. The added spinners, jaw, and hammer are something very different that the Pro lacks. However, the premium price you pay FOR the Premium/LE is getting pretty insane. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that MET has become a HUGE hit of a game. It's almost like the Iron Man effect, but it happened a lot quicker.

I should rephrase my comment on liking the Pro better:

I like the LED Pro's price point SO much more. At $4400 or so for a NIB LED Pro, you can spend the extra $2600 on a REALLY nice B/W title to compliment it. If it were the difference of $1000 (I paid $5750 for a HUO ST Premium, which is just over $1000 more than a Pro when I had it), I'd say go for it. But the differences just don't add up to that much money to me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cool, thanks. Really tempted to go for it. Do you use the invisiglass Jersey Jack sells? Also is the code on MET in a pretty close to final state?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cool, thanks. Really tempted to go for it. Do you use the invisiglass Jersey Jack sells? Also is the code on MET in a pretty close to final state?

I've not used invisiglass, but it looks amazing. Not required, but awesome nonetheless. As for the code, it's near complete from my understanding. Everyone says the code, theme, art, and overall gameplay may make it one of Stern's best games ever (behind the major candidates of TRON, LOTR, and SM). If you like pure pinball action, MET slays just about anything else out there that you can readily get right now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've not used invisiglass, but it looks amazing. Not required, but awesome nonetheless. As for the code, it's near complete from my understanding. Everyone says the code, theme, art, and overall gameplay may make it one of Stern's best games ever (behind the major candidates of TRON, LOTR, and SM). If you like pure pinball action, MET slays just about anything else out there that you can readily get right now.

Yeah I went to a guy's shop here where he had twelve machines all with invisiglass and they looked ridiculously fantastic. To the point that I think even on a new machine it's worth swapping it in.

Do you mean more for the initial menu where you select either the game or the config? If so, you could create a "non-Steam" shortcut in Steam and link it directly to the .exe (I would think).

Nope, in the game, where you can browse your tables, etc. -- that's not entirely controller friendly (particularly not being able to hit B to go back).

omg strobe multiball finally uses the effect.

So pretty

VoRSMQo.jpg

7TEs1Sn.jpg

Q36EORA.jpg

PnXHXef.jpg

The framerate does chug in dx11 mode, hopefully they can do some more optimization, watching the ball stutter around occasionally isn't great. But it's soooo cooooool

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
They revealed this table and Star Wars Rebels. The table I was teasing about has not been revealed yet. Nor has the partnership with that tables IP owner.

Well, since you said it was a video game, I'm going to throw this out. Is it an EA title, like Need for Speed or The Sims? An Ubisoft game like Rayman or Assassin's Creed? An Activision title like Call of Duty? Or is it an indie title?

snaffles

Played a bunch of the DX11 version this morning, it is really pretty. Like has been posted though the frame rate can be pretty rough on some of the tables. My PC is pretty old though so that might be on my end. Might end up going back and buying season one on steam after they do the official release just so I can play a prettier version of Star Trek:TNG.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah I went to a guy's shop here where he had twelve machines all with invisiglass and they looked ridiculously fantastic. To the point that I think even on a new machine it's worth swapping it in.

Did you decide on a machine yet? :)

I thought I would post this here since it seems possibly useful to you:

Pinside link to a thread about adding spinners to MET Pro.

I played some virtual pinball this weekend...Tried out some Godzilla. I have never played that table before, so of course, I had no idea what I was doing. But the layout was surprisingly enjoyable.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Did you decide on a machine yet? :)

I thought I would post this here since it seems possibly useful to you:

Pinside link to a thread about adding spinners to MET Pro.

I played some virtual pinball this weekend...Tried out some Godzilla. I have never played that table before, so of course, I had no idea what I was doing. But the layout was surprisingly enjoyable.

Yeah I'm talking to a guy in Pinside right now -- the one who has Premium MET for 71. Asking him if he can help me get it up and running and even install mods. :)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
well Mike figured out why portait wasn't working in the Dx11 Beta (the dx11settings dat was saving in the wrong folder(steam vs user mygames)
once its moved to the right location it runs in portrait np.
So much better then landscape its not funny.
use your video card controls to lock vsync and force better AA and AF settings and set max render ahead to 1
hit alt+enter 3 times to get fullscreen to work for now with proper aspect ratio.

Runs mint with no lag in the flippers.

heres Dracula with brightness at 0% with everything lit up

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ya its startling how much better it looks now.. and in motion the light shows are memorizing.

Phantom of the Opera and Starship Troopers look truly amazing..actually all season 4 tables look so much better.

Top Bottom