• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I actually just emailed the distributor I bought my game from. Normally, distributors offer a discount on a shaker when you buy NIB from them. He never offered, so I'm going to ask him and see if I can't get one for like $100 or whatever.

I will only be doing the Mystery Scoop Cliffy on this one. Apparently the magnet protectors are problematic with the new code update? Something about the way the magnet pulses now can cause curling on the protector. I also bought the shooter lane protector from pinballlife, mostly because I had a $10 gift certificate for them. But I would get a shooter lane protector from SOMEWHERE to protect your investment.

Instead of Cliffy on the magnets, I am going to put mylar circles on the playfield. I also ordered mylar for the ball drops off the wireforms.

Snake tongue and fangs are on their way as well.

Since I am getting the Pro LED model, I can just change the bulbs for the Fuel inserts. That's easier and cheaper in the long run.

I want to order a ColorDMD (you can order the generic Sigma kit now so you can beat the rush when they release the rom), but I think I'm going to hold onto my $400 for the moment. That said, I will likely get it in the future.

Does that damage the machine or just the protectors?

Shaneus

The magnet protectors curling up? It can damage the machine as well, I've seen a photo or two of them peeling up some of the playfield when they go.

I'm not saying don't use them, but do as much research as you can. Pinside is your friend. Also, ask Cliffy himself about them, he's super honest and won't sell you something if you're cautious or there's known issues with them.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Is Mark Ritchie on Facebook? I refuse to believe the Capcom pinball games can't be emulated, so I wanna ask the guy who worked on them.

I just want to play Kingpin, Big Bang Bar and Pinball Magic.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

211544-i.jpg

Cliffy Thread on Pinside

For what it's worth, it isn't for sure related to the protector. Rumor is that it may be related to the clear that Stern used on some runs. As such, rather than risk it, I am still putting Mylar on mine. I will probably put the Mystery Scoop Cliffy on mine, though.

Is Mark Ritchie on Facebook? I refuse to believe the Capcom pinball games can't be emulated, so I wanna ask the guy who worked on them.

I just want to play Kingpin, Big Bang Bar and Pinball Magic.

Best bet is to emulate in VP. BBB is there, but I don't know if Kingpin or Pinball Magic is. I had a chance to buy a nice PInball Magic recently, but didn't want to spend the money on game I have NEVER seen or played in my life.

Vyse24

89MB download on Steam. This one may actually be Jack*Bot.

And it is! Jack*Bot is now on Steam! Newsletter is sure to come up soon. I'll be keeping an eye out on that.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
They can be and are. You can play BBB on Visual PinMAME.

I would prefer to keep things on TPA to support the licensees and all that. Hopefully FS can work something out and maybe get the technical docs to emulate things without a problem (isn't the VPMAME version slow, I remember hearing that).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I would prefer to keep things on TPA to support the licensees and all that. Hopefully FS can work something out and maybe get the technical docs to emulate things without a problem (isn't the VPMAME version slow, I remember hearing that).

Sorry to say this, but there's about a 0% chance you'll get to play those tables on TPA.

And no, VPMAME runs smooth as butter.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Looks like PAF may have the answer. It's
Xenon

Guess I gotta keep the Lamborghini in the garage for another month. Fuck...

(I also refuse to acknowledge any barriers keeping the Capcom titles off of TPA. If The Addams Family can finally make an appearance, anything is possible.)

Shaneus

Sorry to say this, but there's about a 0% chance you'll get to play those tables on TPA.

And no, VPMAME runs smooth as butter.
The company that owns the Williams license also owns the Capcom license.

Don't count anything out!

Looks like PAF may have the answer. It's
Xenon
Sadly, yes... it looks like it. I'm still bitter as fuck about it even getting included in that poll (pick a pre-80s machine... and they pick one from 1980!), should've been Flash.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I suck at JackBot, any tips? I drain the ball pretty quickly, and I only broke 1 billion once.

(Yep, it's a mid-'90s pinball game, all right)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The company that owns the Williams license also owns the Capcom license.

Don't count anything out!

Sadly, yes... it looks like it. I'm still bitter as fuck about it even getting included in that poll (pick a pre-80s machine... and they pick one from 1980!), should've been Flash.

I'm more thinking that the list of Capcom titles includes:
  • Big Bang Bar - can't imagine this one is cheap to produce (unless they work with the guys who originally produced it)
  • Kingpin - talk about expensive
  • Breakshot - this shouldn't be too tough
  • Pinball Magic - from what I've seen and heard, this is a great game
I think it also boils down to the cost to write the software to emulate those games. I wonder if they'll do a Kickstarter to fund the process? Who knows with Farsight.

I suck at JackBot, any tips? I drain the ball pretty quickly, and I only broke 1 billion once.

(Yep, it's a mid-'90s pinball game, all right)

May be worth watching this vid:

https://vimeo.com/44970176

• Big Bang Bar - can't imagine this one is cheap to produce (unless they work with the guys who originally produced it)
I think it also boils down to the cost to write the software to emulate those games. I wonder if they'll do a Kickstarter to fund the process? Who knows with Farsight.

I wanna mention, they have/want to do Big Bang Bar, i talked about it with Farsight at PAX East last year. They were still stuck in emulation issues at the time though. So don't give up!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I wanna mention, they have/want to do Big Bang Bar, i talked about it with Farsight at PAX East last year. They were still stuck in emulation issues at the time though. So don't give up!
Weren't they doing it as part of Pinball After Dark? What on earth happened to that?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
That's what I was mentioning. Since Mark Ritchie worked at Capcom, perhaps he has some technical documents that would help?
Weren't they doing it as a part of Pinball After Dark? What on earth happened to that?
I'm guessing they have their hands full and are waiting for a good license, like Playboy, to come through before resuming.

Lettuce

I'm sure that Capcom don't hold the rights to Big Bang Bar anymore and Illinois Pinball does

Weren't they doing it as part of Pinball After Dark? What on earth happened to that?

I think that the whole Pinball After Dark thing is bullshit and a smoke screen, just look at the table art and DMD animations of Starship Troopers not to mention the Elivra tables. If Pinball After Dark was ever going to be a product Troopers wouldn't have be made for vanilla TPA, besides what table other than Tales From The Crypt would it even make sense to make a completely new pinball product for!?, it just would fragment TPA even more.

Mark my words TFTC will be one of the Halloween tables this year and will be in vanilla TPA thus quashing and ideas of this Pinball After Dark bullshit!

Teppic

Anyone else having trouble with input lag on PC? I have set the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 for Pinball Arcade in the Nvidia control panel which makes it much better, but I still get more input lag compared to the PS4 version. It's the same with keyboard or controller. The game also runs perfect with smooth framerate.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone else having trouble with input lag on PC? I have set the maximum pre-rendered frames to 1 for Pinball Arcade in the Nvidia control panel which makes it much better, but I still get more input lag compared to the PS4 version. It's the same with keyboard or controller. The game also runs perfect with smooth framerate.

There's a thread with a couple of things to try here... definitely no lag for me on PC, so hopefully you can fix it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm sure that Capcom don't hold the rights to Big Bang Bar anymore and Illinois Pinball does

No, it's not a license issue...I think it's an emulation issue and an issue with getting a table for them to recreate. It's why something like Kingpin is likely to be crazy difficult to produce - emulation + getting a table.

Also, played Jack*Bot and I really don't like it. It took what I love about Pin*bot and replaced it with lame music and too "happy and colorful" of a theme. It's pretty nutty how the two layouts are actually identical. Are there ANY differences?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

make sure you added in the dx11 executable as a program since its different then default pinball arcade thats detected.
setup maximum pre-rendered frames to 1,
multi-display/mixed to single display performance mode
triple buffeing to on
vsync to on
i put virtual reality prerender to 1 as we
after that toggling to full screen eliminated the vast majority of the imput lag i was experiancing

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Also, played Jack*Bot and I really don't like it. It took what I love about Pin*bot and replaced it with lame music and too "happy and colorful" of a theme. It's pretty nutty how the two layouts are actually identical. Are there ANY differences?

thats funny cuz I've had the exact opposite experiance. I really didn't care for pinbot...love bride of pinbot and wasn't looking forward to jack since it was suppoes to be similiar to pinbot.
Now after playing it a few times I think its awesome..I'll probably never play pinbot again.
I really love tables with gambling in them apparently

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
thats funny cuz I've had the exact opposite experiance. I really didn't care for pinbot...love bride of pinbot and wasn't looking forward to jack since it was suppoes to be similiar to pinbot.
Now after playing it a few times I think its awesome..I'll probably never play pinbot again.
I really love tables with gambling in them apparently

I just prefer the theme and sound in Pin*bot. :3 The gambling stuff isn't my cup of tea for a pin I guess!

ACH1LL3US

I am going to sound like a total noob but how do I get the dx11 beta? I have TPA on Steam.. I dont what else I do?

Is it true it plays not in full screen, the beta??

Teppic

There's a thread with a couple of things to try here... definitely no lag for me on PC, so hopefully you can fix it.
Looked through the thread. Playing it in fullscreen window seems to have solved the problem. Thanks!

Kind of bothersome as I don't want to use the 1920x1200 resolution in windows, so I will have to change it every time. Hopefully the DX11 version will play without input lag when they have got it working in fullscreen.

The physics isn't the same in the PC and PS4 version, so it makes it a bit harder to compare them. The ball definitely feels heavier in the PC version. I think I like the physics in the PS4 version more, but that might be because I'm more used to it. It's easier to get the ball where I want it. By principle I want it to be as realistic as possible, and I think the PC version might be a bit more realistic, so I'm contradicting myself :p

Jack bot seems to be another good table for Season 4. Just played the trial since I will have to wait for the PS4 release as I bought the season pack there.

I am going to sound like a total noob but how do I get the dx11 beta? I have TPA on Steam.. I dont what else I do?

Is it true it plays not in full screen, the beta??
You should have it already. Just launch the game and pick the DX11 option. I think you have to run the config one time before running it. It's only windowed for now.

Teppic

Seems you can go fullscreen. Just alt+enter. You must first force v-sync through the Nvidia control panel and I had to switch to fullscreen and back twice to make the image fill the whole screen.

ACH1LL3US

Looked through the thread. Playing it in fullscreen window seems to have solved the problem. Thanks!

Kind of bothersome as I don't want to use the 1920x1200 resolution in windows, so I will have to change it every time. Hopefully the DX11 version will play without input lag when they have got it working in fullscreen.

The physics isn't the same in the PC and PS4 version, so it makes it a bit harder to compare them. The ball definitely feels heavier in the PC version. I think I like the physics in the PS4 version more, but that might be because I'm more used to it. It's easier to get the ball where I want it. By principle I want it to be as realistic as possible, and I think the PC version might be a bit more realistic, so I'm contradicting myself :p

Jack bot seems to be another good table for Season 4. Just played the trial since I will have to wait for the PS4 release as I bought the season pack there.

You should have it already. Just launch the game and pick the DX11 option. I think you have to run the config one time before running it. It's only windowed for now.

I dont see where I choose the dx11 version.

ACH1LL3US

Ah I got dx11 working! Full screen at 4k native, runs perfectly :)

Need to turn room brightness to 20 and it looks perfect to me. Not surw what difference led brightness does.

So in the dx11 options, doesnt look like you can turn MSAA off, it asks for buffer size and quality of msaa 1 through 4 but no option to turn it off...

Teppic

I dont see where I choose the dx11 version.
When you start tpa you shold be given a choice between tpa, tpa dx11 and configuration. I guess if it doesn't work you can try to opt in for the beta by right clicking on the game then properties>betas tab>choose dx11 beta. I didn't need to do this though.

Edit: too late!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I've settled on 20% room brightness for all tables until they address the ball highlights dimming when in the shadows.

I've put all tables after Dracula at 60% bulb brigthness.
all the rest of of season 3 @ 80% bulb Brightness
all of season 2 @ 90% bulb brightness
and all of season 1 @ 100% bulb brightness except AFM and MM which both seem to have really bright bulbs and set those at 70%

Overall its a good baseline to start with if you prefer a dusk/dimly lit room

ACH1LL3US

I've settled on 20% room brightness for all tables until they address the ball highlights dimming when in the shadows.

I've put all tables after Dracula at 60% bulb brigthness.
all the rest of of season 3 @ 80% bulb Brightness
all of season 2 @ 90% bulb brightness
and all of season 1 @ 100% bulb brightness except AFM and MM which both seem to have really bright bulbs and set those at 70%

Overall its a good baseline to start with if you prefer a dusk/dimly lit room

Excellent post!!

Any reason why you chose higher bulb brightness for the older seasons?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Excellent post!!

Any reason why you chose higher bulb brightness for the older seasons?

well it affects the under table lights.

What I've found is Dracula and newer seems to have been developed with the PS4 version having enhanced lighting and the lights are plenty bright and pop really good. so 60 looks awesome...bit over saturated but I like the look of LED modded tables so I'm cool with that.

season 3 up to dinner the table lights the under table lights are noticeably dimmer so 80% makes them pop abit better without going higher and having white over saturation bleed out to much details around the slingshots.

Season 2 same thing but pushed it abit more to 90% since seems like it could use it

season 1 is the worst overall..except attack from mars and Medieval Madness.
Tables like Ripley s, Twilight zone and Creature from the Black Lagoon need the bulbs on 100% (creature needs tweaking overall).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
This is what the ball needs in TPA
heres a screenshot of Scared Stiff in TPA Dx11 Beta and Unit3d Alpha
both with similar lighting
world of difference for ball visibility tho

7T5vTXR.png

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
unit3d pinball?
I hope so but I'm not in their beta, the complex flippers seem pretty awesome, but publicly alpha 2 is all I can try

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Having more fun with Jackpot now that I'm giving it a second glance. 6b easy. I could have broke 10b but my phone gets weird lag spikes and screws me sometimes. Dumb.

I like the risk reward more now that I understand how to make use of it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think that the whole Pinball After Dark thing is bullshit and a smoke screen, just look at the table art and DMD animations of Starship Troopers not to mention the Elivra tables. If Pinball After Dark was ever going to be a product Troopers wouldn't have be made for vanilla TPA, besides what table other than Tales From The Crypt would it even make sense to make a completely new pinball product for!?, it just would fragment TPA even more.

Mark my words TFTC will be one of the Halloween tables this year and will be in vanilla TPA thus quashing and ideas of this Pinball After Dark bullshit!

Playboy and Family Guy are two licenses that I can think of off of the top of my head.

If I had to wager for this year's Halloween table, I'd go with Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, because the film it's based on appears to be covered by the same license that resulted in Dracula and Starship Troopers being added into TPA. That, and it looks fun.

Shaneus

Having more fun with Jackpot now that I'm giving it a second glance. 6b easy. I could have broke 10b but my phone gets weird lag spikes and screws me sometimes. Dumb.

I like the risk reward more now that I understand how to make use of it.
How it's put together very much reminds me of a typical Oursler title. It just screams Junkyard/Who Dunnit to me.

PS. The lag spikes are probably from your tablet trying to (re)connect to something like Game Center. Either go in airplane mode or make sure you're on consistent wifi :)

snaffles

Playboy and Family Guy are two licenses that I can think of off of the top of my head.

If I had to wager for this year's Halloween table, I'd go with Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, because the film it's based on appears to be covered by the same license that resulted in Dracula and Starship Troopers being added into TPA. That, and it looks fun.

I really like Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, I played a bunch of it when I was in the US last year so I hope you are right.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MET/new-pin heads:

I'm going to bring the machine to my new place (currently working on getting everything updated at the seller's shop where we have tools and the like). Anything I'm missing here in terms of just putting the machine into my game room for play (this being my first machine and all):
-Casters to set it on
-Updated code
-Set to free play :p
-Novus No. 1 & 2 and old shirts for playfield cleaning

Feel like I'm missing something obvious because it seems too easy. :p

Top Bottom