• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

That's why I think MET is easily my #2 game right now. The risk vs reward is ridiculous. It's one of the few games I've ever played where you are encouraged to progress through the modes and features instead of abusing something like Davy Jones multiball on POTC or Doc Ock on SM or loop combos on Shadow. There are so many ways to score big on MET. Hell, I posted earlier how I had a 67m Electric Chair multiball from cashing a super jackpot with 4x scoring on (that I actually did intentionally!).

And yes, the game has layers upon layers upon layers. I have read all the rules and watched videos and I think I finally understand 90% of what's going on. CIU modes are still a bit of a blur, End of the Line mode is unreachable for now, and a FEW little insert and rule anomalies evade me. But for the most part, it's got way more going on than meets the eye, and having a grasp of the system in place gives MET a really huge ranking in my book.

Also, I had no idea you own so many games. Sounds like you've got some winners in there, too!
Oddly enough, I don't know anything about how to get to End of the Line. I've never seen any game go that far so I don't think about it. I have a hard enough time getting CIU.

I used to have a Comet and Galaxy before I moved. I think I prefer modern machines to Solid State games but I've better at most Solid Stats. EM's feel like a different game all together.

The cool thing about Tournaments up at Lyons is they have ~40 games and it's an even split from EM, SS, and DMD. So instead playing one kind, you have to switch up all the time. It's really fun and frustrating too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
FWIW, in the TOPcast with Clay and Lyman, Lyman mentions that Monster Bash is much more his game than Gomez', and I feel that Metallica is much more his than Borg's. So I think that's where you'll see the similarities.

I'm still standing where I am on rule depth versus playability and such. I think I prefer machines where experience and knowledge of rules of a game isn't the main factor in whether you can get a good score or not. For example, I've played maybe 50 games total of MET on the game since the CIU was implemented, and I hate that there's no way I can get a score anywhere near as good as someone who knows the depth of the rules purely because they have more experience than I do. It's not my fault I live in a pinball-barren region :( Much prefer it that I can play a game of High Speed against someone who's never played it before and we're both on relatively equal footing... or that it comes down to skill and nothing else.

Like I said in my email to Nate on C2C last episode, I'd love to see a more arcade-friendly basic ruleset that has more of a focus on skill, and another for home use that is balls-deep in depth for people wanting their $6k worth.

But like Nate said - you're better than that. ;)

MET is interesting because you don't NEED to really understand all the rules to score big. You only need to understand some of the rules, and only a little more to hit CIU. MET is the perfect example of being able to do well with limited knowledge. However, pinball should have deep enough rules to cater to those who work towards wizard modes. I think that's the balance - rules that cater to multiple subsets of players.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you have an iPhone or an iPad, you can use PinGuy leveling app. It talks out loud and tells you what side is too high/too low, front to back level, etc. It's pretty great.

How do you use this properly? (Since most phones have cameras that jut out in the back.)

Shaneus

But like Nate said - you're better than that. ;)

MET is interesting because you don't NEED to really understand all the rules to score big. You only need to understand some of the rules, and only a little more to hit CIU. MET is the perfect example of being able to do well with limited knowledge. However, pinball should have deep enough rules to cater to those who work towards wizard modes. I think that's the balance - rules that cater to multiple subsets of players.
Admittedly, it's been a LONG time since I've played MET. Even longer since I've played it with CIU-enabled code (my local arcade has a pro non-LED, but it still has the factory software on it :/).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Admittedly, it's been a LONG time since I've played MET. Even longer since I've played it with CIU-enabled code (my local arcade has a pro non-LED, but it still has the factory software on it :/).

AHHHH - get that code updated holy cow! That's SUCH a bummer. CIU is amazing.

How do you use this properly? (Since most phones have cameras that jut out in the back.)

I actually use my iPad, as weird as that seems. I don't know how bad the camera thing is...So I can't comment! :3

Shaneus

AHHHH - get that code updated holy cow! That's SUCH a bummer. CIU is amazing.
How? I know CIU is awesome and such (I've played it before) but this one, it's a chain arcade and all their franchises are known for never updating code on games :/ Only option is to break into it somehow, but I don't think that can be done.

Unless I email them. Hmm...

Edit: Sent this to them via an online form:
Hi,

Is it possible for someone to update the software in each of the pinball machines at Timezone Geelong? I know they've been updated with many more features that would get more people playing (myself included) but they've been outdated for some time now.

Additionally, they could probably do with an overall service as well. The left flipper sticks on Star Trek and Metallica has some work out rubber bits that need replacing.

Cheers,
Shane

PS. Any chance of getting more games in? Only two pinballs in my local Timezone is depressing!
If they actually do something, I'd be over the moon! New ST Pro and MET Pro code would be insane.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Haha niiiiice - that's pretty shitty that they are still running old code on all their games. Are they at least clean?

E: You ever have a game where you can't hit the ONE shot you need? CIU lit on ball 1, missed it and drained. Ball 2? Same thing. Ball 3? Missed it and fucking drained. I had 55m on ball 1 with CIU lit, and I couldn't get the ball into the damn scoop. -_-

Shaneus

Haha niiiiice - that's pretty shitty that they are still running old code on all their games. Are they at least clean?

E: You ever have a game where you can't hit the ONE shot you need? CIU lit on ball 1, missed it and drained. Ball 2? Same thing. Ball 3? Missed it and fucking drained. I had 55m on ball 1 with CIU lit, and I couldn't get the ball into the damn scoop. -_-
Which shot... the mystery hole? If you have a Cliffy in there, it will be WAY harder. Maybe you could take it off until it starts showing some wear. You know that playfield will hardly show any wear (if any) around scoops from just home use.

Also, if ever I need to make that shot, I just get it into the slings. It's bound to get in there eventually ;)

And no, not really clean at all. Star Trek Pro isn't bad, but it doesn't look like it's been cleaned since it was put in there (around 6 months ago?). The balls on Metallica look like they're made of pewter, if you know what that looks like.

Triz

So now I get pop up ads on my iPad version of Pinball Arcade. I'm not happy about this at all. I have plenty of paid tables I refuse to have game of war pop up ads splash across my screen before I play a table. Fuck you Farsight. Even tweeted my displeasure toward them and they blatantly ignore it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So now I get pop up ads on my iPad version of Pinball Arcade. I'm not happy about this at all. I have plenty of paid tables I refuse to have game of war pop up ads splash across my screen before I play a table. Fuck you Farsight. Even tweeted my displeasure toward them and they blatantly ignore it.

Wait what? I've never had that on my phone. :( That sucks.

Which shot... the mystery hole? If you have a Cliffy in there, it will be WAY harder. Maybe you could take it off until it starts showing some wear. You know that playfield will hardly show any wear (if any) around scoops from just home use.

Also, if ever I need to make that shot, I just get it into the slings. It's bound to get in there eventually ;)

And no, not really clean at all. Star Trek Pro isn't bad, but it doesn't look like it's been cleaned since it was put in there (around 6 months ago?). The balls on Metallica look like they're made of pewter, if you know what that looks like.

No Cliffy yet. Does it make that shot worse? And sling bouncing works, but the out lanes get hungry on MET. ;) Gotta be careful not to feed the monsters.

Shaneus

That's really strange, I don't think I've ever seen a popup ad for any iteration of TPA on my iPad or iPhone.

Not that it helps, but are you using the "free" version, or the paid one? The free one I think came with one table literally free, and the paid one was like $4 with the four base tables.

Triz

8xF4mJ1.jpg

Absolute bullshit

Shaneus

That's really, REALLY fucking weird. I'll play it as much as I can on the train home from work tonight and see if anything happens. I won't have wifi/data, but maybe it'll still try to do something.

Also might be an idea to bring it up on both Pinball Arcade Fans and also their Facebook. They're quite good at responding on the latter, actually.

Triz

Perhaps it's cause I haven't bought Jackbot, but even so it's very anti consumer. I'm not about to buy it with that stuff all over my screen.

Minsc

Gold Member
Perhaps it's cause I haven't bought Jackbot, but even so it's very anti consumer. I'm not about to buy it with that stuff all over my screen.

Well does it happen on any tables you own, or just the ones you haven't bought? If it's tables you're playing for free, I don't see the problem if they go away when you purchase the table.

It sounds like FarSight actually got smart and found a way to get a little money from the millions of people who download the game and don't buy anything, as long as the ads aren't there on purchased tables.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well does it happen on any tables you own, or just the ones you haven't bought? If it's tables you're playing for free, I don't see the problem if they go away when you purchase the table.

It sounds like FarSight actually got smart and found a way to get a little money from the millions of people who download the game and don't buy anything, as long as the ads aren't there on purchased tables.

I agree with this 100%

Just decided to finally start up Pinball Arcade on my PS4. Enjoying Theatre of Magic. Such a fun table. Got up to around 850,000,000 after a few tries. Not bad.

Though, I need to grab Midieval Madness. That's my shit.

This pic turned up on my facebook today. There's a bar in Denver that did it's bartop with back glasses, but apparently they don't have any machines. Still cool.

11182063_10207064505317529_3612241358742467308_n_zpsr6d8pfr0.jpg

Psykoboy2

I don't know anything about the table layout. I was told no new voice recordings were made so everything used just came directly from the games. Merchant is used so I'm guessing BOTH Portal 1 & 2 will be represented somehow. We should find out more on Tuesday.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, MET is amazing. Probably played 10-15 games where I was scoring between 5-35m. Frustrating. But then, I had a zen moment and scored over 100m. I love this game so much.

I don't know how some people don't LOVE pinball.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
After watching more Hobbit footage, I just don't think I will like the game. The playfield looks WAY too open. I mean, I get that a major feature is a bunch of orc heads popping up, but I would prefer more "stuff" there versus pop up heads.

Shaneus

After watching more Hobbit footage, I just don't think I will like the game. The playfield looks WAY too open. I mean, I get that a major feature is a bunch of orc heads popping up, but I would prefer more "stuff" there versus pop up heads.
Open is good. Most new Sterns have things that feel far too close to the playfield, with a few exceptions. Open also makes games feel longer as well, IMO. Mustang feels short, WWE feels long. Nothing like nailing a good, long orbit or center shot.

What video were you watching? I've noticed a few but I think a lot of people are all talking about the same vid.

Edit: I haven't watched that video, but any good runs (by yourself or someone else, in TPA or IRL) are encouraged! It's hard for me to watch any 13 minute video at work, but I'll try and check it when I get home. Well done!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Portal Pinball official release info

Open is good. Most new Sterns have things that feel far too close to the playfield, with a few exceptions. Open also makes games feel longer as well, IMO. Mustang feels short, WWE feels long. Nothing like nailing a good, long orbit or center shot.

What video were you watching? I've noticed a few but I think a lot of people are all talking about the same vid.

Edit: I haven't watched that video, but any good runs (by yourself or someone else, in TPA or IRL) are encouraged! It's hard for me to watch any 13 minute video at work, but I'll try and check it when I get home. Well done!

Hobbit Video. I disagree that open is good. I think open CAN be good, but I don't think that having a huge blank canvas makes for a good game. It looks like a snooze fest, but I'm going to reserve official judgement until I play it. Compared to WOZ, where there was SO much happening all over the place, TH looks like everything happens in the back 25% of the playfield.

FoxSpirit

If you ever get the chance, play Judge Dredd. Thematically super fun and good, the quips are hilarious.
Also tough as nails, though the ball saver is at least very generous.

LotR on a 5 ball setting with no tweaks otherwise? Yay, almost infinite free games :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you ever get the chance, play Judge Dredd. Thematically super fun and good, the quips are hilarious.
Also tough as nails, though the ball saver is at least very generous.

LotR on a 5 ball setting with no tweaks otherwise? Yay, almost infinite free games :p

Yeah, LOTR can be brutal with it's lack of ball save and a bad feed, but for the most part, it's a VERY long (and incredibly epic) game.

I'm actually close to finding one...If it works out, I'll have LOTR and MET in my house. A near perfect pinball pair at this point!

Hobbit is gorgeous but nico is right the table looks like a complete bore, a spectacle for people watching over your shoulder but if there's a feature of tables I hate it's shit that pops up out of the board and makes shot go in random directions (No Good Gophers, Medieval Madness, Cactus Canyon). The ramp shots are completely unexciting, to boot.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hobbit is gorgeous but nico is right the table looks like a complete bore, a spectacle for people watching over your shoulder but if there's a feature of tables I hate it's shit that pops up out of the board and makes shot go in random directions (No Good Gophers, Medieval Madness, Cactus Canyon). The ramp shots are completely unexciting, to boot.

I don't want to bash the table too hard since I haven't played it, but as a lot of us know, once you've PLAYED enough pinball, it's pretty easy to judge a book by it's cover. That said, I was taken back by MET after sort of writing it off initially. Now, it's easily my #2 favorite overall package. So things can change!

I will say that the LCD screen is BEAUTIFUL in that video. And yeah, the table is art in itself. But then again, so is my MET. :3

I haven't seen footage but I had a few people pull up some pictures and ask 'is it just me or does the playfield look nearly the same as WOZ'

It did, but I haven't seen it in action.

KISS is indeed the next Stern.

hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Interesting. They have been killing it with the band themes games but I don't know.

The original KISS is one of my all-time favorites. When I'm playing in tournaments I almost always start by picking it as my game. I almost always LOSE that game but when I play it alone I can get over a million, which is damned hard so I keep picking it.

I don't know what kind of draw ACDC and Metalica have with people but I imagine KISS would be less relevant from an operator standpoint. The Avengers table never drew well, and neither did Mustang or WrestleMania so I'm not always sure what makes people stop at a table.

Currently the least played games at location I know of are Doctor Who and Highspeed but it's understandable as older games. They use to have a Firepower which is an AMAZING game but it never got played.

Top Bottom