• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

microtubule

Xenon has been released! My Steam client is downloading a ~200MB patch now.

Patch notes here
Version 1.38.9
- Added Xenon
- Fullscreen option added to DX11 settings (separate from DX9 settings)
- Draw order fix on Earthshaker
- Fixed broken ramp switch on TOM
- Fixed Cactus Canyon GI lamps on Backglass (DX11)
- Fixed lamp in 2nd golf ball on Teed Off (DX11).
- Fixed shoot again lamp on White Water (DX11)
- Fixed Centaur 60 bonus lamp (DX11)
- Experimenting with flipper physics. You can now do tip pass, drop catch and live catch. Flippers also accelerate down to make it more real. (Only on Xenon).
- Fixed huds on BK, Gorgar and Firepower for resolutions not 1920x1080 (DX1 - Fixed highwire multiball on CV
- JackBot collision updates.
- Various Black Knight fixes (Thanks to Scott)
- 3rd ball stuck in lock bug fixed
- During magna save, ball now shakes realistically before coming to a stop
- Multiball Lightshow added
- Sound will now play after ball releases from trap
- When activating multiball from lower lock, the top balls should now release BEFORE bottom ball
- Lower eject sound is firing when the ball gets released from trap instead of when it enters trap
- New collision for post added
- Tuning for ramps so ball is less likely to fly off table on harder shots.
- After magna save, ball entering inlane should now give the correct score.
- Fixed DX11 lighting
- Updated JackBot with translations
- Fixed load times
- Fixed more draw order problems with HH
- Fixed mouse not controlling secondary flippers
- Fixed GI on JackBot
- Fixed crash on changing music volume
- Forced 60fps on DX11
- Fixed ball visiblity when on top of HH glass
- Added more resolutions to configuration utility
- Fixed UI in resolutions lower than 1080
- Added option in the config utility to brigthen the ball, default is off.
- Fixed messed up lamps on Dr Dude
- Fixed draw order on Medieval Madness pop bumpers
- Fixed ball shadows

Vyse24

We should be getting the newsletter soon, then.

Come on, High Speed II...
We should list some things that would give it away. Like:

- Heaven with a lot of donuts (Donut Heaven)
- Rubber stuff on fire (Burning rubber)
- The word "Kingpin"
- The number 504
- Anything related to Apaches (The type of helicopter in the backglass)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Xenon isn't as bad as people made out..but the pulsing sound that can't be turned down must be up there with the Crypt Keepers laugh as most annoying pinball sound

new flippers are interesting I like the drop catches and flick pass's seem to work well

but the live catch is kinda borked. I end up doing it alot trying to reach out with a flipper to just catch a ball as it goes diagonal across the end of the flipper and the ball just stops dead on the tip..seems abit to powerful

Vyse24

New newsletter is out. More mobile facts, Flipper physics, and more, like the table hint:
March_15_Hint.jpg

https://773839.content.nlgrid.com/w...SMFpYSmZkWE5sY2w5cFpDSTZPVE15TWpNek16YzROVGQ5
Red and Ted's Road Show

Shaneus

New flipper physics on Xenon on iOS. Just accidentally did a live catch. So it's not entirely accurate as to how they're implemented (compared to IRL) but it's better than not being able to do them at all. Woo!

Edit: Road Show? So we get two Lawlor tables in close succession but no Ritchie love? Boo-urns.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I'm starting to see the problem with Xenon..there's just no depth at all. Two shots really are it.

I think having the top connected to the side drop targets actually makes it worse since your better off just shooting up the left orbit then trying to hit them on the right side of the table which feels riskier.

It is pretty and the physics 3.0 are definitely growing on me I can't wait for this kind of control on the other tables. I don't think I've found a pre 85 table that really holds my attention for long.

I'm starting to see the problem with Xenon..there's just no depth at all. Two shots really are it.

I think having the top connected to the side drop targets actually makes it worse since your better off just shooting up the left orbit then trying to hit them on the right side of the table which feels riskier.

It is pretty and the physics 3.0 are definitely growing on me I can't wait for this kind of control on the other tables. I don't think I've found a pre 85 table that really holds my attention for long.

The physics are per-table? That's disappointing. As for pre-85 tables, I really enjoy Big Shot to this day for some reason. Also love Black Hole.

FyreWulff

The physics are per-table? That's disappointing. As for pre-85 tables, I really enjoy Big Shot to this day for some reason. Also love Black Hole.

They pretty much have to do unique physics per table because they also sorta have to 'fake' them a bit (modify how certain parts of the table deflect the ball, how fast the ball moves, etc) to get tables to work like you'd expect them to in real life.

Lettuce

So theres a contest going on over at the Pinball Fans Forum on what the last 2 tables of S4 will be (1 we know already) and S5. Here my predictions..........

39. Road Show
40. Mousin Around
41. High Speed 2
42. MS Frankenstein
43. Tales From The Crypt
44. F-14 Tomcat
45. Spirit of '76
46. Stargate
47. The Simpsons Pinball Party (and maybe Simpsons Data East as a double pack for KS'ers)
48. TX-Sector
49. Judge Dredd
50. Paragon

On another note, how many more seasons do you think we'll get out of TPA??, i can see up to S7 so another 30 tables but after that i think we're going to hit the wall of tables that just aren't any good and worth while in bring to TPA along with tables that just aren't possible financially (Indian Jones Pinball Adventure, TRON, Batman etc)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So theres a contest going on over at the Pinball Fans Forum on what the last 2 tables of S4 will be (1 we know already) and S5. Here my predictions..........

39. Road Show
40. Mousin Around
41. High Speed 2
42. MS Frankenstein
43. Tales From The Crypt
44. F-14 Tomcat
45. Spirit of '76
46. Stargate
47. The Simpsons Pinball Party (and maybe Simpsons Data East as a double pack for KS'ers)
48. TX-Sector
49. Judge Dredd
50. Paragon

On another note, how many more seasons do you think we'll get out of TPA??, i can see up to S7 so another 30 tables but after that i think we're going to hit the wall of tables that just aren't any good and worth while in bring to TPA along with tables that just aren't possible financially (Indian Jones Pinball Adventure, TRON, Batman etc)
They aren't saving High Speed II for S5.

Lettuce

They aren't saving High Speed II for S5.

Ahhh i dunno i think they will, they would want to start it off with a bang and its one of the more requested tables, they've thrown us a bone with giving us Road Show next which is another largely requested table so i cant seem they giving out a table like HS2 so quickly afterwards...they need to spread these more popular tables out over the seasons otherwise we'll get to a point where a whole season would consists of crap that no one is really interested in or wants!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Ahhh i dunno i think they will, they would want to start it off with a bang and its one of the more requested tables, they've thrown us a bone with giving us Road Show next which is another largely requested table so i cant seem they giving out a table like HS2 so quickly afterwards...they need to spread these more popular tables out over the seasons otherwise we'll get to a point where a whole season would consists of crap that no one is really interested in or wants!

If they do that, I might cry.

Shaneus

Exactly what I was trying to say the whole fucking time people were voting for it :/ Should've been Flash.

On another note, it's the day after Australia's first ever officially IFPA-sanctioned Pingolf event. Nine machines (all Stern, unfortunately) and 12 hours of pretty solid pinball playing. Was so much goddamn fun! Exhausting as hell, but would do it again in a heartbeat. I really do think it's a great format and by the sounds of it, we'll have one next year :)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
What's the best season so far? Wanna jump in for the DX11 lighting update.

By Far season 1 is the best deal Just be aware its the oldest and has the worst graphics(some tables have some really low res textures) and weakest physics adjustments.

After Season 1 I'd say Season 3 has been the strongest. I think Season 4 will beat out Season 2 if the last 2 tables end up being great.

Shaneus

Which one has Centaur in it? Probably that one.

I've been playing the fuck out of Firepower recently, though. Love the living shit out of that game, just can't quite get that 750k goal. My good friend does have two FP machines though, so when I get a house it's definitely on the "to borrow" list.

Afro

By Far season 1 is the best deal Just be aware its the oldest and has the worst graphics(some tables have some really low res textures) and weakest physics adjustments.

After Season 1 I'd say Season 3 has been the strongest. I think Season 4 will beat out Season 2 if the last 2 tables end up being great.

I'm very partial to Season 1. Plenty of tables, good variety, and a huge amount of excellent tables.

Appreciate it, I'll go for Season 1 first.

Which one has Centaur in it? Probably that one.

I've been playing the fuck out of Firepower recently, though. Love the living shit out of that game, just can't quite get that 750k goal. My good friend does have two FP machines though, so when I get a house it's definitely on the "to borrow" list.

It irks me that the cabinet art for Firepower is *still* busted years after being reported. I know it is minor but sheeeeesh.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Every time this thread is bumped I am dumb enough to hope a PS4 patch just dropped.

iOFMvwQ.gif%20alt=

Is the PC version getting DX11 lighting for all tables at the same time? Or are they going to be updated erratically?

Shaneus

It irks me that the cabinet art for Firepower is *still* busted years after being reported. I know it is minor but sheeeeesh.
I can't remember what's wrong with it... but I haven't noticed at all.

Here, have some Firepower wallpapers:

Is the PC version getting DX11 lighting for all tables at the same time? Or are they going to be updated erratically?
There's an open beta for the DX11 lighting, and it's across all tables. Minor bugs are still being worked on, but it's basically 100% done for all tables.

Shaneus

Everyone (if you have a chance) should listen to the latest Coast 2 Coast Pinball podcast episode (167) and read this. Fascinating if not depressing stuff about one man's desire to build some high-end boutique pinballs, but fails spectacularly due to his complete lack of business acumen.

It's astounding.

Even if you can't read any of the stuff I linked to, C2C 167 should give enough of a rundown.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Everyone (if you have a chance) should listen to the latest Coast 2 Coast Pinball podcast episode (167) and read this. Fascinating if not depressing stuff about one man's desire to build some high-end boutique pinballs, but fails spectacularly due to his complete lack of business acumen.

It's astounding.

Even if you can't read any of the stuff I linked to, C2C 167 should give enough of a rundown.

Yeah, this is just...It's something else.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
On MET, do you guys find that the Snake shot is a pain in the ass to make? Like you have to hit it kind of perfect force or it gets rejected a lot. I have the fangs and tongue mods on there but those don't appear to be the issue. Looking at stats it's the toughest shot to make and imo it really shouldn't be.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
On MET, do you guys find that the Snake shot is a pain in the ass to make? Like you have to hit it kind of perfect force or it gets rejected a lot. I have the fangs and tongue mods on there but those don't appear to be the issue. Looking at stats it's the toughest shot to make and imo it really shouldn't be.

Two things.

1) Make sure your tongue decal is all the way down in the back of the mouth. I had to trim the corners off of mine in order to fit right. I have the fangs, but I can't get mine in. My snake has a little screw under the topside of his mouth, and even with an offset screwdriver, I can't get it loose. It's annoying.

2) Of all the shots, I would say the Piston Target is the hardest followed by the Scoop. After that, I would say sure, the snake. But I don't get too many rejects. I would just double check the decal. You do need to have a pretty square shot in order to sink the ball all the way in and not bounce off the little guides in the back of his mouth, though.

During multiball, are you finding it in the mouth relatively often? It could be a simple "trying to hit it so hard that you just can't do it" situation, haha. I've had that MANY times.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

39. Road Show
40. Mousin Around
41. High Speed 2
42. MS Frankenstein
43. Tales From The Crypt
44. F-14 Tomcat
45. Spirit of '76
46. Stargate
48. TX-Sector
49. Judge Dredd
50. Paragon

Still waiting on Eight Ball Deluxe, Bad Cats and Police Force.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
PSA:

TAF on 360 is a mess. Haven't tried the other updated tables much so I can't comment on those.
It even hardlocked my console once with the drive spinning I had to unplug the power brick and every time you start a new game onTAF there's a delay at the beginning which screws up with button presses and can easily softlock the console. Seriously this happens 8 out of 10 tries, how the fuck did this pass cert...
Farsight strikes again I guess.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Anyone spent much time with Portal yet? Dropped on 360, PSN and Steam today. iOS/Android tomorrow

I just want to say I'm really happy that Season 4 actually had a season pass on PSN, from the start, and is actually crossbuy. I finally took the time to see what it was like on PS4 and wow. Coming from playing it on Vita all the time to that was like... wow.

If there's a good sale on Season 1 to 3, I'll probably double dip.

PSA:

TAF on 360 is a mess. Haven't tried the other updated tables much so I can't comment on those.
It even hardlocked my console once with the drive spinning I had to unplug the power brick and every time you start a new game onTAF there's a delay at the beginning which screws up with button presses and can easily softlock the console. Seriously this happens 8 out of 10 tries, how the fuck did this pass cert...
Farsight strikes again I guess.

However none of these issue are present on my 360. I have season one and selected later tables and they are all fine. Odd.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Metallica is the game that just keeps on giving. I have a game where I score 7m, and a game where I go into ball 3 with 5m but end up with 70m. I fucking love this game.

Oh and my LOTR LE should be here next Friday!

Shaneus

Pfft. Sterns. "Depth".

Thing I still don't get about depth and why apparently games these days need to have them, is that there's currently a game being remade from 1997 with comparatively little "depth" and no update to the software yet people are still clamoring for it. People don't need depth, they need well designed, less complicated (design/insert-wise), beautiful-looking games.

I can almost guarantee that Big Lebowski won't have as much "depth" as Metallica or AC/DC, but it will still be an amazing game.
Note the unambiguous inserts (no "hit the X insert or flashing arrow") that you can tell have a purpose other than being generic. I'm looking at you, Star Trek. Colourful, clean, simple artwork.

The rules:
Look at how basic and straightforward they are. That's what pinball should be like. I'd love to see the equivalent diagram for AC/DC, Metallica or any other recent Stern.

Bless you, Dutch Pinball.

/rant

Side note: In Ed Robertson's interview on a recent C2C, he said Lebowski is basically a Williams game that took 15 years to release. And going by the rule diagram and playfield, I reckon he's spot-on.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
While I agree that the simplicity surrounding TBL is nice, I do NOT agree with your statement on that's how pinball SHOULD be. I respect your opinion for you and your enjoyment of the hobby, but what YOU like is not what's best for the industry. Proof of that is in the way games are selling right now. TWD just received a code update that added a lot of depth and fleshing out to the existing code. That's what people wanted. Nobody was really "in love" with the skeleton rule set that Stern had in place. Personally, I love a deep and involved rule set that also gives you small objects to play for (MET is a fantastic example of this). Do you even like MET or AC/DC? I imagine you hate WOZ with everything in your soul, haha.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised with your more recent posts on pinball and the strides that have been made in the industry these past few years. It's OK to prefer older B/W titles, but it's silly to write off these deeper, newer games. And (no offense meant by this, despite how it sounds), your general attitude towards newer games is a bit elitist and comes off as closed minded.

I feel like newer Stern, JJP and Spooky games are amazing advancements to the hobby. MET is a deep game, but it's also a very simple game to approach. I can't comment much on AC/DC, but there's a reason it's considered one of the best modern Stern games to date. Sure, some games don't resonate with everyone (WOZ is one of those), but if you spend time digging around various forums and blogs, it's clear that the care put into rules and complexity is very welcome and well received.

On that same note, if you're the kind of person who doesn't like newer games, then you stick with the older B/W titles and be happy with it. It sounds like that's where you are. As I said - I'm shocked that you're not more receptive to some of these amazing recent titles.

I'll take a step back and say that I STARTED this hobby preferring newer Stern games, but I do love older titles as I've grown into things. That being said, if someone wants to try and get into pinball, I don't immediately say, "Play Twilight Zone/Monster Bash/TotAN/etc." I'm going to show them a modern Stern game (Spiderman, MET, TWD, KISS). I think it's a great way to show people that pinball is still a thing (and getting more popular). Stern games also tend to feel really good. I know you have a major issue with the way Stern games feel, but new people know no different. Older games are amazing, yes - but they aren't the only thing that pinball has to offer. I would say that if someone ENJOYS pinball, that's when I show them the older titles. I think TBL is going to be an amazing addition to the pinball repertoire, but I will put money on the fact that we aren't going to see a shift in rules because of it.

And I will say, based off of a few things I have learned in private conversation recently, Stern gives a total of zero fucks about what other people are doing in this hobby. If they had it their way, they would put JJP, Spooky, Dutch Pinball and anyone else interested in making pins in a furnace and burn them up. I promise you that.

I want to say again, I don't mean this as an attack on you Shaneus. I think your opinion and experience in pinball as a hobby and as a "sport" is just as valid as any other player out there.

Unrelated, anyone who IS into physical pinball should listen to the C2C interview with Jody and Jared at Stern. It's an absolute PR bullshit fest. I do love Stern games, but Stern as a company? See my above paragraph...

Top Bottom