• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Lettuce

So TPA have included new flipper physics in there latest beta build...

"Experimenting with flipper physics. You can now do tip pass, drop catch and live catch. Flippers also accelerate down to make it more real."

Interesting!

"Experimenting with flipper physics. You can now do tip pass, drop catch and live catch. Flippers also accelerate down to make it more real."

Interesting!

Can't wait to experience a slew of new opportunities for the ball to just phase right through the flipper.

I'm starting to think input lag is behind some of my accuracy problems lately. Are there any tools that measure this? I seem to consistently miss scoop shots by exactly the same angle on a lot of tables (Scared Stiff, Ripley's, Addams) and it's bugging me.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

Interesting!
Is this the internal beta vs public beta? I can't find anything about this..tho it sounds damn exciting Flipper physics and ball spin are the two biggies for improving the simulation alot.

Shaneus

Is this the internal beta vs public beta? I can't find anything about this..tho it sounds damn exciting Flipper physics and ball spin are the two biggies for improving the simulation alot.
This had better be in the goddamned public beta. Ball spin would be nice but it is somewhat secondary to getting flipper physics right. Hopefully they get Josh Sharpe to have a bit of a play and offer his advice.

Has anyone ever tried to set up a filming rig over a pinball machine, like they do for PAPA streams? I know the person who set up the cameras for those streams but I won't see them for a few weeks. I wanted a decent cheap way to capture play or doing live streams sometime. I imagine a GoPro would do but I don't know. They always have such clean, framed captures over the table.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Has anyone ever tried to set up a filming rig over a pinball machine, like they do for PAPA streams? I know the person who set up the cameras for those streams but I won't see them for a few weeks. I wanted a decent cheap way to capture play or doing live streams sometime. I imagine a GoPro would do but I don't know. They always have such clean, framed captures over the table.

Have you asked on pinside?

I have located an LOTR LE that the guy wants 4500 for. I think I'm going to buy it, haha.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

a microphone stand + this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GWCC4I/?tag=neogaf0e-20 will get you going w/ a gopro

Vyse24

So I was looking at the achievements page for TPA on Steam and yeah it confirmed that Xenon is the next table for release. I'm expecting the table and next newsletter being released in 2 weeks.

Speaking of which, I just noticed that the opening post could use an update of its own. Hasn't been updated since Lights Camera Action was released.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Keeping MET as well? Damn. At least it's a decent price, I think.

And they had LEs?

LE was the last run. All gold trim, glass translite, less toys, updated rom. And yeah, typically sell for a LOT more, but it's routed.

And yeah, keeping both. Have a fast and furious pin paired with an epic quest. :)

Shaneus

LE was the last run. All gold trim, glass translite, less toys, updated rom. And yeah, typically sell for a LOT more, but it's routed.

And yeah, keeping both. Have a fast and furious pin paired with an epic quest. :)
Only Stern though? You need to broaden your horizons, son. I don't think I could live with only one machine manufacturer in my collection (if I had more than one machine... which I do).

Also, this may be of interest to you:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo

So I was looking at the achievements page for TPA on Steam and yeah it confirmed that Xenon is the next table for release. I'm expecting the table and next newsletter being released in 2 weeks.
I'm still somewhat upset with Xenon. Such a boring table.

Speaking of which, I just noticed that the opening post could use an update of its own. Hasn't been updated since Lights Camera Action was released.
It does. Speak to Minsc ;) I suspect that with the numerous platforms the game is now on and the scattershot release schedule (iOS usually a week after Android/PC, PS4 behind and PS3 even further... 360 now out, too).

Oh yeah, 360 TPA is now out and seems to be up to date with all tables to season 3. But there are still some age-old bugs in there. Not sure if the old Frankenstein jackpot nudge is still there in MB, but there's no sound coming from the left slingshot in ToM. That was a bug from fucking ages ago.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Only Stern though? You need to broaden your horizons, son. I don't think I could live with only one machine manufacturer in my collection (if I had more than one machine... which I do).

Also, this may be of interest to you:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo

I actually don't care much for that GI project. It's neat, but not something I really want to invest in.

As for Stern, I can't help that I love their games! That said, sure, there are some B/W titles I'd love to have...But not until I have my LOTR. And probably my XMEN back, haha. I just happen to really love and enjoy Stern games. I have a few games I'd love to own at some point...TZ and WOZ come to mind as non-Stern games! Shadow as well. But frankly, I've found a lot of Stern games to be just a blast to play...They're doing things right in the pinball world. As much as people trash on Mustang and TWD, I really enjoy both of them, too.

If funds were infinite and space not an issue, I'd own hundreds of games. :p

Shaneus

I think you need a classic game in your lineup. I don't think two Sterns is really that big an issue if I'm honest, but beyond that I think collectors in general really need to think about getting some classics in there. I'd go so far to say an early-mid 80s machine should be owned by everyone just to switch games up. That amazing Bally era with Fathom, Centaur and EBD springs to mind, but obviously slightly later Williams ones like High Speed, Sorcerer, Fire Power or even something like Mousin' Around.

At least, games where it's possible to see majority of what it has to offer within a few minutes :) Only way to replicate the feel of an arcade game is to make it shallow and fast, IMO... as if it's still designed to steal your money. Like this ;)

(That's a bit exaggerated, obviously)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If I got a pre-DMD game I'd probably get a Data East title. They're just so out there to me and have really fun themes (and I think sell for pretty cheap?). Seems like a good pairing with just a solid modern Stern like LOTR, MET, etc.

Shaneus

What sort of titles are you thinking of? From memory, DE didn't have that many pre-DMD titles. Compared to the Williams ones I can think of off the top of my head: Rollergames, F-14, Funhouse, Bride of Pinbot, Taxi, Diner, Black Knight 2000, Elvira and the Party Monsters... there are stacks to choose from (and most should be somewhat cheap, too).

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I think you need a classic game in your lineup. I don't think two Sterns is really that big an issue if I'm honest, but beyond that I think collectors in general really need to think about getting some classics in there. I'd go so far to say an early-mid 80s machine should be owned by everyone just to switch games up. That amazing Bally era with Fathom, Centaur and EBD springs to mind, but obviously slightly later Williams ones like High Speed, Sorcerer, Fire Power or even something like Mousin' Around.

At least, games where it's possible to see majority of what it has to offer within a few minutes :) Only way to replicate the feel of an arcade game is to make it shallow and fast, IMO... as if it's still designed to steal your money. Like this ;)

(That's a bit exaggerated, obviously)

Not sure we can consider Nicoga a collector considering his average machine turnaround is like a month, no disrespect to players of course. If I was rollin with 4.5-7k I can't imagine a Stern machine finding its way into my top 30, but to each their own :)

Centaur is my dream pin. I'd commit unspeakable acts for a collector quality version.

Shaneus

Not sure we can consider Nicoga a collector considering his average machine turnaround is like a month, no disrespect to players of course. If I was rollin with 4.5-7k I can't imagine a Stern machine finding its way into my top 30, but to each their own :)

Centaur is my dream pin. I'd commit unspeakable acts for a collector quality version.
Ugh, it's so good. Hands-down best artwork I've ever seen on a pin. Gameplay was ahead of it's time, too.

And hearing the speech in person... it'll send shivers down your spine. Creepy as fuck. Plus it has some amazing shots as well. I have a friend who has one, maybe he'd be willing to lend it to me!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I don't label myself as a collector - I consider myself a player. :)

Have you asked on pinside?

I have located an LOTR LE that the guy wants 4500 for. I think I'm going to buy it, haha.

I haven't asked in pinside because I've found I don't really care for it. I didn't sign up until recently and it's basically like any other forum. It's just a bunch of over thought rankings and complaints and people laying into each other. I don't know. I read some threads after signing up and I didn't want to join any of the conversations I read.

Thanks for that link SefSkillz

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I really don't love old SS tables but the Zaccaria collection is so well done I bought the collection just to support them.
I'll buy em all again on PC as long as they support portrait mode.

I'm pretty pleased with Farsights support for PC atm between the Dx11 and NoEx's camera mod, TPA is allot of fun,and they're working on flipper physics...damn so good.

VP10 in the works, Unity3d Pinball in the works, Zaccaria coming to PC..Feels like 2015/2016 is where Digital Pinball is really gonna be hitting on all cylinders.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Outstanding news for pinball lovers. Farsight needs to be more scared of their competition.

I don't see why. Us pinball fans are so few and far between and they know we'll probably buy almost everything they put out.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oooh I didn't even know that existed. I need to check that out. I hope they have a good selection of EM machines, that's one area where TPA feels pretty lacking

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I don't see why. Us pinball fans are so few and far between and they know we'll probably buy almost everything they put out.

Competition is good in anything, hopefully FS keeps up with ASK Homework and forges ahead with those physics updates.

And High Speed II, first and foremost, then I can nag FS for Red and Ted's Roadshow, Corvette and Indy 500.

Shaneus

Payment sent for my new LOTR LE that will be coming to me in the next week or two. :)
Woo! Bet the hype is building :)

Competition is good in anything, hopefully FS keeps up with ASK Homework and forges ahead with those physics updates.

And High Speed II, first and foremost, then I can nag FS for Red and Ted's Roadshow, Corvette and Indy 500.
I'm quietly confident that we'll see Getaway after Xenon and later this "season", also Road Show. Corvette and Indy, I don't know... licensing might cripple those. As for myself, I still want more goddamn alpha-numerics. If they get Rollergames in, I would die.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I don't think the licenses for Corvette and Indy 500 are that hard to get, it's not like General Motors or Indianapolis Motor Speedway are picky on video game licenses. Maybe they aren't cheap to get.

Shaneus

I don't think the licenses for Corvette and Indy 500 are that hard to get, it's not like General Motors or Indianapolis Motor Speedway are picky on video game licenses. Maybe they aren't cheap to get.
I'm thinking more the appeal of them. Mustang didn't exactly set the world on fire IRL, neither did Checkpoint on TPA (granted, slightly different kettle of fish, but you know).

I think both are a long ways down the track.

Ugh, I feel like death.

I spent yesterday planting trees before going to the monthly tournament last night.
We moved to a different format where it's 3 strikes instead of a double elimination tournament. You get to play more but it takes so much longer to play the whole thing. I got 2nd last night but it took ~4.5 hours to play out all the matches. I finally beat Donovan stepp (ranked 25 in the world) and I even beat him twice but he and I were the only two left at the end and he got my on Tron.

It's so hard to beat players on that level and it gets impossible when you have to beat them many times. The spring classic this week is a 3-5 match play format so you have to beat a good player 3 times before advancing and it's brutal.

I didn't get home until after midnight and I feel so lame from being wore of after pinball.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Getting back to PA talk, do we know what the last games in season 4 are? I'm on PS4, so I'm behind a bit.

Shaneus

Ugh, I feel like death.

I spent yesterday planting trees before going to the monthly tournament last night.
We moved to a different format where it's 3 strikes instead of a double elimination tournament. You get to play more but it takes so much longer to play the whole thing. I got 2nd last night but it took ~4.5 hours to play out all the matches. I finally beat Donovan stepp (ranked 25 in the world) and I even beat him twice but he and I were the only two left at the end and he got my on Tron.

It's so hard to beat players on that level and it gets impossible when you have to beat them many times. The spring classic this week is a 3-5 match play format so you have to beat a good player 3 times before advancing and it's brutal.

I didn't get home until after midnight and I feel so lame from being wore of after pinball.
Be thankful you get to play great players. People around my area are so damn inconsistent, there's never really much of a chance to learn from them.

Be thankful you get to play great players. People around my area are so damn inconsistent, there's never really much of a chance to learn from them.

If you can't be the student, you must become the master. I am happy about it but it's always a weird line to ride. With so many good players, tournaments are worth more and we have more people but it's really hard for regular players to win and advance when we have 6-7 top 100 players and way more in the top 2-3 hundred.
You pretty much have to have your best night ever just to get near a finish.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm thinking more the appeal of them. Mustang didn't exactly set the world on fire IRL, neither did Checkpoint on TPA (granted, slightly different kettle of fish, but you know).

I think both are a long ways down the track.

I don't know about that, Corvette and Indy 500 are both well-known brands that inspire a lot of love in the automotive communities.

Shaneus

If you can't be the student, you must become the master. I am happy about it but it's always a weird line to ride. With so many good players, tournaments are worth more and we have more people but it's really hard for regular players to win and advance when we have 6-7 top 100 players and way more in the top 2-3 hundred.
You pretty much have to have your best night ever just to get near a finish.
That's an excellent point. I only realised the other day that one of the most consistent winners does actually have a strategy when playing some of the games (especially AC/DC, that he owns). All this time I thought he was playing mostly randomly. At least I'm starting to consistently finish in the finals though!

As an indication of just how lowly ranked everyone in Australia is (and people who go to comps) the state finals around a month ago netted the winner 3.70 points. I finished 6th and got 0.4 :/

I don't know about that, Corvette and Indy 500 are both well-known brands that inspire a lot of love in the automotive communities.
Mustang is too, but as an IRL pinball machine it was basically dead in the water.

That's an excellent point. I only realised the other day that one of the most consistent winners does actually have a strategy when playing some of the games (especially AC/DC, that he owns). All this time I thought he was playing mostly randomly. At least I'm starting to consistently finish in the finals though!

As an indication of just how lowly ranked everyone in Australia is (and people who go to comps) the state finals around a month ago netted the winner 3.70 points. I finished 6th and got 0.4 :/

Mustang is too, but as an IRL pinball machine it was basically dead in the water.

Shame because I really liked Mustang. Yeah, Sometimes I don't appreciate the kind of field and competition we have here. I got 4th in a monthly tournament a few weeks ago and still got 2.75 points. By adding more matches each tournament, they added more 'meaning matches' which is how they are judging points now.

Someone on my Facebook posted them self checking out an open KISS cabinet so there most be one in town already. I need to find out where he was so I can go get a closer look.

Tomorrow is the Lyons monthly and all the players for the weekend should all be arriving.
There might be 40-50 people there just for the monthly tournament and likely a full 64 for this weekend. We are planning out who should drive and what to bring. Friday is easy with the side tourney but it will be 12 hours Saturday and Sunday.

I'll be drinking lots of tomato soup and Johnny Walker. Pinball food.

Shaneus

Fuck. So my holy grail has finally appeared via someone who's imported it from the US, but it's selling for WAY over what I'd want to pay. It usually hits around $500ish USD in the US, here he'll be putting it up for $2.5k AU. Far too rich for what it is:
uWIhjrz.jpg

Night Moves, by Trudeau for International Concepts/Gottlieb

Fuck. Maybe I should try finding one and importing it myself. More effort, but there's no way I'm paying anywhere near that much. Maybe ~$1800 tops, but would shoot for closer to $1.2k (AU).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So, when's the newsletter coming out? I need confirmation that High Speed II is June's table.

I think HSII will be july.. Junes gonna be The Shadow ;-)

I've been struggling to get a pinball wizard controller made so I'm gonna try just modding my old HotRod SE.
I ordered the xarcade upgrade kit to convert it to usb and 2 extra buttons which I'm gonna install as secondary flipper buttons.(xarcade had two more buttons then the hotrod so it should work out).

as well I've ordered a usb xbox360 controller from china for 12 bucks.I'm planning on taking it apart and mounting it upside down in the hotrot with weight attached to the end of the left analog stick to act as a plumb bob
If all goes well the default controls with be usb keyboard but the nudging will be analog joystick activated by just lightly shaking/shoving the controller.

Should be a fun summer project

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Playing catchup on responses in here...

So yesterday, I did a bit of cleaning and maintenance on my MET Pro. The protector in front of Sparky's feet broke, so I replaced it. I also installed mylar on the grave magnet (even though in ~200 games, I've had Grave Marker Multiball like, 3 times). Also did a quick Novus 1 wipe down. I will probably wax her this weekend. I don't think I'm going to add any mods to this game. I MAY add pinblades (either mirror or gfx), but otherwise, I am just SO thrilled with the stock implementation and color of this game that I don't want to mess with it. A+ stuff here.

And I managed to get a nice pic of a ball getting stuck. I have NO idea how this even happened. It doesn't seem possible...Ball search didn't knock it loose, either.

I haven't asked in pinside because I've found I don't really care for it. I didn't sign up until recently and it's basically like any other forum. It's just a bunch of over thought rankings and complaints and people laying into each other. I don't know. I read some threads after signing up and I didn't want to join any of the conversations I read.

Thanks for that link SefSkillz

Pinside is like ANY forum - there are the good and the bad. I mostly post in the various club threads. I'll randomly post in the All Pinball sub or in OT. There's a lot of drama on Pinside, though. The biggest issue is that you're dealing with adults who haven't really "grown up" with the internet like a lot of us have. I'm 28, but have been posting on forums since I was, uh...10? 12? I don't know. Forever basically. It sometimes feels like Pinside people in the 40's have only recently discovered the internet and don't understand basic etiquette.

I wouldn't write it off completely, though. The Club and Tech sections are invaluable. The market side is all over the place, but it DOES give a good idea on what games are going for. It can get a bit rough with the price policing, but at least it helps keep people like us informed! But man, the Tech side....If you EVER have an issue, there's someone there who can help.

Also great for getting ideas on how to mod your game, how to care for it, tweaks (factory or aftermarket that need to or should be done), etc.

Like I said - don't write Pinside off completely. Hell, your filming question would have also had 5+ different answers that could have helped or assisted you in dealing with unique or different circumstances from standard filming options. That's the beauty of a site like Pinside. If you can survive GAF, you can survive Pinside. ;)

Woo! Bet the hype is building :)

I'm quietly confident that we'll see Getaway after Xenon and later this "season", also Road Show. Corvette and Indy, I don't know... licensing might cripple those. As for myself, I still want more goddamn alpha-numerics. If they get Rollergames in, I would die.

The hype is insane. I should know the final details by tomorrow. LOTR + MET is really going to be a dream combo when it's all said and done. Two VERY different styles of game right next to one another.

Also, Corvette is great fun (trumps Mustang for car themes), so I'd love to see them put that in. And I500 would be great - underrated game IMHO. Being that I live 10 minutes from the Speedway, I have a soft spot for the whole I500 thing. I hate racing (I just don't get it), but it would be cool to have that game available to play on the go given the history of the race and the track.

They license EVERYTHING (the Speedway). I honestly bet that if they caught wind of them making the game digitally, they'd be all for it and probably advertise it a bit. That race is one of the biggest money makers in the greater Indianapolis area, so anything to keep the marketing up is a plus for them.

On the discussion of Mustang vs I500/Corvette...I agree that I500 resonates more. The brand of Mustang and Corvette are great, but the I500 is a thing that even non-car lovers can relate to. Just thinking out loud. I think it would be great and not that hard to secure in the grand scheme of things.

Fuck. So my holy grail has finally appeared via someone who's imported it from the US, but it's selling for WAY over what I'd want to pay. It usually hits around $500ish USD in the US, here he'll be putting it up for $2.5k AU. Far too rich for what it is:
uWIhjrz.jpg

Fuck. Maybe I should try finding one and importing it myself. More effort, but there's no way I'm paying anywhere near that much. Maybe ~$1800 tops, but would shoot for closer to $1.2k (AU).

Can you shoot the guy an offer? Awesome looking game (didn't they make another 2-player game like that?). But the price IS a bit high. I would probably avoid importing given the cost associated with shipping...unless it's cheaper than I think?

On the topic of competitive pinball...

I really want to get into it more, but I'm not consistent enough yet. I also don't want to travel 50+ minutes to play in the league nearest to me. There is rumblings about putting together a league more local to Indy, but nothing has panned out yet. Watching great players play is a great way to learn scoring strategy and such, but performing those strats is another animal entirely. I also feel like if there's a way to get a SDTM drain, I'll find it and execute it flawlessly every single game I play. :p

On TPA...

When is the next table? I haven't really played much virtual pinball lately, but I wouldn't mind giving a new table a spin.

E: I've been meaning to comment/post about this, too. On Pinside, there is a WWE LE that's for sale for like, $6500. The guy can't move it to save his life. Such a sad flop for Stern.

uWIhjrz.jpg

That's expensive for the game but it's a great game. A good friend of ours, Basil, had one of these in his RV for a few years. He and his wife would always drive out to our tournaments and we'd all be in the RV drinking and playing rounds on it. Really fun but yeah, don't go too far to overpay.

Shaneus

I bet the table's delayed for iOS.

That's expensive for the game but it's a great game. A good friend of ours, Basil, had one of these in his RV for a few years. He and his wife would always drive out to our tournaments and we'd all be in the RV drinking and playing rounds on it. Really fun but yeah, don't go too far to overpay.
I fell in love with it at Texas Pinball Festival last year, it's just so comfortable and fun to play. Biggest surprise over every other machine I had a chance to play while I was there. Music is incredible (in a dorky way) too, but I just remember it being the coolest form factor (and it feels like you're hugging a pinball machine when playing it). Shame no-one would ever manufacture one in that style again, I'd easily be in on a new one if Stern put one together for home use only.

This music.

I'll make the other guy an offer like nicoga suggested, but it'd be above what I originally wanted to pay anyway. I was hoping for around $1500 plus shipping from interstate, but I'd probably offer $2000 including shipping to my house from wherever. But IMO that's still too much. It might have to remain a dream :(

Oh, and I found another guy who ships games here, too. Also found a machine for sale in California (the shipper was enthusiastic about that, because it's close to Vegas where they ship from or something) but in total it would still come to $2300 :/

Top Bottom