• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

That Hobbit table looks like a Zen table brought to life. Licensed, but lifeless. Pass.
Shit thing is, JJP are known for having their games setup at shows on a really shallow angle, making it look lifeless with slower play. One of the guys on the Pinball Podcast said he hated how WoZ played when it was first demoed, but eventually he ended up buying one.

Hobbit Video. I disagree that open is good. I think open CAN be good, but I don't think that having a huge blank canvas makes for a good game. It looks like a snooze fest, but I'm going to reserve official judgement until I play it. Compared to WOZ, where there was SO much happening all over the place, TH looks like everything happens in the back 25% of the playfield.
Star Trek and WCS are both what I'd consider "open" :p

Here is the announcement trailer. Looks to be still in development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZqIKmaTwIQ
It won't be. I'd give it maybe a month before we see it for sale, or at least previewed at shows.

Sussing out the design, I initially thought it would be a Steve Ritchie pin, but spotting that scoop so close to the flippers AND the pop bumpers ripped straight from X-Men (and Funhouse and Tron etc.), I'm betting on it being a Borg design. Which I'm really over at this stage, after the abortion that was TWD.
I'll tip Steve Ritchie for GoT and Trudeau for the rumoured Jurassic Park pin. Possibly the other way around (I don't see Ritchie suiting Game of Thrones) but I do see Trudeau killing it with a theme like JP, especially since he obviously nailed Creature and Congo.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh my lord...Pinball is FULL of Easter Eggs.

LOTR has a Bash Gary mode (replaces Balrog face with Gary's face).

u7mbTl0.jpg

Velinos

It won't be. I'd give it maybe a month before we see it for sale, or at least previewed at shows.

Sussing out the design, I initially thought it would be a Steve Ritchie pin, but spotting that scoop so close to the flippers AND the pop bumpers ripped straight from X-Men (and Funhouse and Tron etc.), I'm betting on it being a Borg design. Which I'm really over at this stage, after the abortion that was TWD.
I'll tip Steve Ritchie for GoT and Trudeau for the rumoured Jurassic Park pin. Possibly the other way around (I don't see Ritchie suiting Game of Thrones) but I do see Trudeau killing it with a theme like JP, especially since he obviously nailed Creature and Congo.

Stern put up a bunch more info on their website. You were right about it looking to be close to production and it being a John Borg design.

http://www.sternpinball.com/games/kiss/pro

11210474_10153259859589244_1384977523369658179_n.jpg

I like the retro art look and the KISS bonus counter in the middle. Seems like they pulled lots of inspiration from the original KISS game. : )

Also, there doesn't need to be a Gary Bash mode on LOTR, Gary gets bashed on his own.

IMG-20121118-00023.jpg

Dude was drinking straight vodka and ice

I've tried them and I just can't get excited by band licenses on tables. Guess I'm not much of a rocker. :p

I wouldn't be excited if I didn't consider ACDC and MET two of the best modern games. They are already pushing into rankings of the best tables of all time. I don't know if it has to do with the theme but the idea of incorporating songs into the code keeps working well.

I'm more about the code than the theme. I really like Mustang quite a bit. There was good risk/reward and strats to playing. Those are things you see in ACDC and MET. It's a good code of casual players but it has all this depth behind it for the pros. Lots of good multiballs that are simple to get (though not easy to obtain) backed with rewards for pushing deep into the table.

Edit: Yeah, I think Mustang is as close to a non ip table as we will ever get again and I don't think it did that well for them.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
That table looks amazing, and I don't even like the band. The cabinet artwork looks atrocious though.

Really? Looks alot like the original side art. Those Pics are pretty iconic of the band.
I'm really glad its the original four myself

So, has anyone else noticed that they've added everything to the 360 marketplace?

EDIT: marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Pinball-Arcade/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8025841121d

EDIT2: None of the content works yet since the title update isn't out: http://pinballarcadefans.com/showth...Return-to-XBox-360/page21?p=206578#post206578

A bit too late for me to care now that DX11 is out on Steam and I'd rather dump money into the PS4 version if I wanted to play on consoles. It's nice for people who only have that platform, though. I think I only have season 1 on it, I haven't booted my 360 in quite some time.

Shaneus

Stern put up a bunch more info on their website. You were right about it looking to be close to production and it being a John Borg design.

http://www.sternpinball.com/games/kiss/pro

11210474_10153259859589244_1384977523369658179_n.jpg
Yup. The V-shape inserts I'm learning now are a staple, they were identical on TWD. The pops on the left and the scoop are straight from X-Men (which were straight from Funhouse, if you mirror it) and he has a habit now of using a double inlane on at least one side... look at Metallica.

Dude really has no imagination and every machine he does just looks like "another Stern". That's why I wasn't so disappointed with Mustang by Trudeau. It didn't look like a Ritchie or Borg game, which was saying something. Still don't mind the way it plays for the most part, either.

Edit: Also, the layout and artwork (moreso the latter) kinda reminds me of No Fear:
Oh yeah, and the pops on the left look largely useless too. Unless the ball's moving quite slowly up/down the left entrance to the orbit, it'll never touch them. Coincidentally, No Fear also has no pops.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yup. The V-shape inserts I'm learning now are a staple, they were identical on TWD. The pops on the left and the scoop are straight from X-Men (which were straight from Funhouse, if you mirror it) and he has a habit now of using a double inlane on at least one side... look at Metallica.

Dude really has no imagination and every machine he does just looks like "another Stern". That's why I wasn't so disappointed with Mustang by Trudeau. It didn't look like a Ritchie or Borg game, which was saying something. Still don't mind the way it plays for the most part, either.

Edit: Also, the layout and artwork (moreso the latter) kinda reminds me of No Fear:

Oh yeah, and the pops on the left look largely useless too. Unless the ball's moving quite slowly up/down the left entrance to the orbit, it'll never touch them. Coincidentally, No Fear also has no pops.

On the contrary, I think the table looks like a lot of fun. I have a lot more to comment on, but I'm mobile. :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Now if they copied the classic No Fear jump ramp then I'd be on board.

Who am I kidding? I hate pretty much everything about Kiss and would pay for the privilege of not putting more money into Gene Simmons's pockets.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
picked up a Paragon project machine a few months back, but I've really been slacking on it. finally got around to giving it a full shop out over the last few days. still waiting on a few parts from marco, so excited to fire it up :D

Velinos

Just got word that my local pinball group has secured one of the first KISS machines and will be hosting a launch event for it, probably in mid-June.

Just got word that my local pinball group has secured one of the first KISS machines and will be hosting a launch event for it, probably in mid-June.

Nice!
I've been to most of the launch events and they are always fun. Usually some good swag you can win. It's always in a different place around here. I think the last one for Wrestlemania was the best only because they gave us free food and drinks.

Velinos

Nice!
I've been to most of the launch events and they are always fun. Usually some good swag you can win. It's always in a different place around here. I think the last one for Wrestlemania was the best only because they gave us free food and drinks.

Yeah, the WWE one we had in Madison, WI was 11 hours long and had close to 60 participants. Unfortunately WWE did not end up doing well and has already been replaced at the location. Hopefully KISS will last longer.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
NoEx has released his freecamera Mod for TPA
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/10120-RELEASE-Pinball-Arcade-Free-Camera-Mod

Dx11 beta and this..man Monster Bash Portrait view has never been so much fun on TPA
Finally broke a billion on MB ..which for me is a first..I gotta figure out how if i can just use this camera as basis for all tables to make custom adjustments.
Here's pic..the DMD isn't washed out..its just screen cap was during a flash effect when animation was blowing up.

Shaneus

NoEx has released his freecamera Mod for TPA
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/10120-RELEASE-Pinball-Arcade-Free-Camera-Mod

Dx11 beta and this..man Monster Bash Portrait view has never been so much fun on TPA
Finally broke a billion on MB ..which for me is a first..I gotta figure out how if i can just use this camera as basis for all tables to make custom adjustments.
Here's pic..the DMD isn't washed out..its just screen cap was during a flash effect when animation was blowing up.
No DMD reflection on the glass is a little distracting, but otherwise I'm so freaking glad it's out! Does it have presets, is it easy to setup or is it a bitch? Shame it won't work quite as well for the tables that have fixed backboxes (oh hai dere ripleys) but great effort overall. Woo!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
its not to bad to use once ya get going..I don't use the sliders cuz they're to inaccurate. I've just been using the hotkeys.
and yes its got 3 presets you can set to the f1 thru 3 keys and f4 will cycle thru them.

And it would be nice if TPA rendered the top glass as an option.

FoxSpirit

I find it amusing that a loss of reflection can be distracting.
When I am buzzing my head how I get a Roman/DPI glass to my place in one piece :p

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
got almost all the tables setup now.
One thing I've noticed is its not great for tables that need to look at the backglass like cyclone or Scared Stiff since it disables the automatic camera view change you have to cycle thru them manually.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
some of the DMD's need some sort of lighting..some are extremely oversaturated like Dracula , others like Junk Yard are very dim.
besides that Man I'm loving em

Heres what Season 3 custom Camera settings is looking like

Vyse24

There was an update to the T2 Kickstarter. The reason?

We are very proud to announce the re-release of Pinball Arcade on Xbox 360! The content is scheduled to go live tomorrow (5/11/15).

If you chose 360 as your platform of choice, just click the link below.

http://pinballarcade.com/kickstarter/

Not sure how to redeem an Xbox 360 code? Click the following link.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/prepaid-codes/redeem-prepaid-codes

Please be aware that the codes may not work until the content is live and vouchers are activated by Microsoft.

If you have any problems, just send us a message via Kickstarter and we will get you taken care of.

Thank you all very much for your support and we are very happy to finally bring you Terminator Two: Judgement Day® on Xbox 360!!!

Shaneus

ya it would be a dream if they added in a built in customized cameras

Heres my camera files for all tables with the 3 views 1st is like in the gif second is the backglass and third is topdown.

Might be an easier start for those that want to tweek them but start in a better centered position.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=b94453c5877d4e1d%2111215
Fantastic. Because I was playing with it yesterday and struggled with getting it setup right. Even running it was a pain.

Shaneus

glad they helped

I've done some more tweaking for the two tables that have guns
since the camera won't move I've reused the second and third cameras views to create better views .
I haven't used them yet, I'm just happy that I don't have to muck around as much when I get back to my PC. Or at least, have a solid base to work from.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Grats, how are you liking it so far?
Really great! And I'm learning to do basic maintenance stuff which is cool. We're moving in still so haven't had a chance to play nearly as much as I'd like. My high score on this machine I think is stillb lower than the first game I played hahah...

Top Bottom