• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm really not a fan of Pinbot but if that Shadow is clean, you made the right call. It's an amazing game so 2 pins plus cash is a good idea.

Shadow is in awesome condition, easily worth 2800+. Pinbot is in players condition, so if I were to value it, I'd say 1200-1300. Add on a few hundred bucks + the fact that the guy drove to ME to deliver and pick up the games...

Shadow is such a neat game. It flows really well and has amazing music. The layout is very unique with the whole lack of pops and all.

Pinbot is just a classic game. I can sort of see why someone might not like it, but the sound package is fantastic, it's brutal in its own way, and the absolutely simplistic design and smoothness to the shots make it a win in my book. Also, 2 ball multiball is perfect in its complexity and strategic approach. I'm probably going to strip and consider repainting some of the minor wear spots on Pinbot. But those Sys 11 games are a different beast underneath.

Shaneus

Shadow is in awesome condition, easily worth 2800+. Pinbot is in players condition, so if I were to value it, I'd say 1200-1300. Add on a few hundred bucks + the fact that the guy drove to ME to deliver and pick up the games...

Shadow is such a neat game. It flows really well and has amazing music. The layout is very unique with the whole lack of pops and all.

Pinbot is just a classic game. I can sort of see why someone might not like it, but the sound package is fantastic, it's brutal in its own way, and the absolutely simplistic design and smoothness to the shots make it a win in my book. Also, 2 ball multiball is perfect in its complexity and strategic approach. I'm probably going to strip and consider repainting some of the minor wear spots on Pinbot. But those Sys 11 games are a different beast underneath.
Underneath... the playfield? Or you mean the artwork? Because underneath literally, High Speed is amazingly simple and was IMO a perfect first pin for working out how machines are put together. But the playfield... ugh. Stupid ball-swirl that's fucking impossible to get rid of (so the machine just looks grotty) and stupid raised inserts that affect the ball more than The Power on TAF.

I wish there was an easy way to get ball swirl out. So conversely, I think I've decided I'd happily buy a repro/done up playfield for it. It's a game that deserves to look pretty.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

If that Pinbot is only worth 1300 then its trashed :) Especially with the topper. I've passed on a few at 1500+ over the last 2 years, thinking I could find one cheaper but its never happened.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If that Pinbot is only worth 1300 then its trashed :) Especially with the topper. I've passed on a few at 1500+ over the last 2 years, thinking I could find one cheaper but its never happened.

I just assumed the market was at $1500 for a really nice one. There's a few spots with mylar bubbling and a few small wear spots. I am considering going the distance and removing the mylar to repaint and clear the playfield. I need to research a lot to see. If I do that and update the playfield, the game will be cash. The vortex ramp is original and in amazing condition. The topper is original (the picture doesn't tell the story entirely). In fact, the entire game is original...No NOS parts or anything. That does mean, however, that I probably need to go through and bullet proof it per Pinside. Sys 11 games need a little work given their age from what I understand.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finally getting decent at Metallica (and by decent I mean I can make it to CIU :p). I just want one more machine to round out the rec room. I'd actually be kind of into a MAME cab but I'm skeptical of the quality on them and not sure they'd even fit through the door. Wish Stern would come out with something really cool fast. Kiss I know is going to be a good game, but it definitely isn't exciting enough of a release for me to ignore my distaste for the theme. If they would do a Minions or Toy Story one for the family with decent gameplay oh man...I'd buy that in heartbeat. :/

sefskillz

I wish there was an easy way to get ball swirl out. So conversely, I think I've decided I'd happily buy a repro/done up playfield for it. It's a game that deserves to look pretty.

my thoughts too, im just a lazy bum that hasnt done the swap yet :(

fmo60Ko.jpg

Blu10

Finally getting decent at Metallica (and by decent I mean I can make it to CIU :p). I just want one more machine to round out the rec room. I'd actually be kind of into a MAME cab but I'm skeptical of the quality on them and not sure they'd even fit through the door. Wish Stern would come out with something really cool fast. Kiss I know is going to be a good game, but it definitely isn't exciting enough of a release for me to ignore my distaste for the theme. If they would do a Minions or Toy Story one for the family with decent gameplay oh man...I'd buy that in heartbeat. :/

what about shrek

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well there is monopoly and roller coaster tycoon, but personally I didn't care for them.

This is totally nuts but I feel like Simpsons is one of the only decent cartoon-based pins, especially if you exclude pins based on live-action movies. And now Stern's gonna make u for all that last time...with Shrek? :/

Blu10

This is totally nuts but I feel like Simpsons is one of the only decent cartoon-based pins, especially if you exclude pins based on live-action movies. And now Stern's gonna make u for all that last time...with Shrek? :/

Family guy is decent. I just can't get past the utterly horrible mini pin on it. It just feels so cheap.

Doh... Just dawned on me. What about wizard of oz. that game is fantastic (it's tough though), but definitely family oriented.

Vyse24

Talk about the one that got away. During a run for a tourney on PAF, I was having the best game of HD I ever had. Capitalizing on Multiballs, breezing through the cities, and passing my high score with little effort. Was on ball 2 with 653m and Red Light Multiball was starting and suddenly, "PinballArcade.exe has stopped working". All that for nothing. I couldn't even get a screenshot to show it.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Does anyone have a script or tweak to easily set PBA to potrait mode? I've set the resolution in the launcher but it's a pain to switch the orientation in the Nvidia control panel and then set it back again. Really wish there was an option in game like Ikaruga.

Shaneus

So, a friend of mine just picked up a really nice Jack*Bot for $2500AUD. I assume that's a good price? Was bought on eBay sight unseen (other than photos) but was happy to report it's in solid condition. FWIW prices down here usually run around a grand or so more than in the US (so it would be like getting one for $1500USD if bought over there).

I have an itch to buy a new machine... damn I hate having to save money for things :(

my thoughts too, im just a lazy bum that hasnt done the swap yet :(

fmo60Ko.jpg
You bastard. So damn jealous! How much did it set you back?

Does anyone have a script or tweak to easily set PBA to potrait mode? I've set the resolution in the launcher but it's a pain to switch the orientation in the Nvidia control panel and then set it back again. Really wish there was an option in game like Ikaruga.
Most GPUs usually have a shortcut enabled by default so you can switch monitor orientation. Something like ctrl-shift-arrow key. If that doesn't do it (for some reason mine didn't) download this, it's what I use. Then it allows usage of that shortcut :)

microtubule

~150MB patch just released on Steam.

Patch thread here.

Version 1.39.9
- New cmdline parameter "skipwhatsnew"
- Fixed leaderboards not scrolling to other tables.
- Fixed minor issue where flippers would stay up in flyby if you quit while they were up.
- Credits fixed
- Fixed backgrounds in the table select screen that showed another background behind them.
- Translations for RoadShow protips and instructions.
- Tournaments - There is a PC tournament right now. If clicking button doesn't work, give it a few seconds and try again. I'll try to make the delay more visible in the future.

Version 1.39.8
- Fixed table of the month. Now Cactus Canyon
- Fixed typo in instructions
- Fixed DX9 lighting for flippers on RoadShow

sefskillz

That Pinbot sell yet Nicoga? I'm so tempted to drive up there at that price. Been wanting one for a long time

sefskillz

From what I read, it didn't sound like he was selling it?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-shadow-pinbot-for-saletrade

looks like i missed out.

unrelated: ive been working on a pinball score tracking app for ios and android. think untappd for pinball scores. its almost ready for public beta but i want to get some people on it and testing and get some feedback/ideas before opening it to everyone. its still pretty rough around the edges, but if you're on android (we're good on ios testers currently) and want to help test and give feedback PM me and ill get you set up.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, it sounds like Zen Studios got the Family Guy license. Guess we won't be seeing the Stern FG pin digitized anytime soon...

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Posted these on TPAF but not sure how many here have been using the NoEx camera mod for TPA.
I just finished updating all tables with 3 standard views for Portrait Viewing.
Backglass Hybrid, DMD and Topdown for Cab use. I used FOV 1.5 for the first 2 modes to cut back on the perspective shrinking into the background. As well Used FOV 5 to try and keep the Topdown view square but still having room for the DMD and angled enough that it doesn't look like your POV is directly down over the Middle of the Table.

Heres the Link http://1drv.ms/1M029V5

And heres a few tables in all 3 modes.

Shaneus

Damn. Shame he didn't bring it here as well!

In other almost kinda related news, my girlfriend asked me yesterday if I could have any pinball machine, which one would I want. Rolled off The Shadow, WCS and Night Moves (that funky cocktail), as well as Spidey (which I mentioned would be the cost of about the other three combined). Didn't think she had the money and I definitely don't have the room at my house, but given my birthday is coming up, I could be a happy guy (happier than I already am with her, of course ;) ) soon!

Honestly don't really think I have any "holy grail" pins I want. I know what I don't want and know what I'd get if I had the money/if it was a bargain, but asking me off the top of my head what I'd like is such a loaded question. I think like for everyone else, it's situational... maybe one or two pins some would *love*, but I think people just really like pinball in general and don't have any they'd really turn down.

unrelated: ive been working on a pinball score tracking app for ios and android. think untappd for pinball scores. its almost ready for public beta but i want to get some people on it and testing and get some feedback/ideas before opening it to everyone. its still pretty rough around the edges, but if you're on android (we're good on ios testers currently) and want to help test and give feedback PM me and ill get you set up.
Ooh, sounds interesting! Shame you're fine for iOS users, though.

Shaneus

its been submitted to the iOS store, so just waiting on their approval. hopefully it will be live this week, ill let you know!
Awesome! I'm still in the process of sussing out various tourney apps/sites and stuff too, so if there's something to add to the list I certainly won't knock it back!

On another note, I saw this posted on r/pinball on Reddit today:
What's the etiquette regarding having a pin in home set for free play vs. charging to play?

Pins are expensive and cost money to maintain, but something seems not quite right about charging guests in your home to play. Does this change if there is traffic through your home that you didn't necessarily invite (i.e. friends of kids)?
Really? Ugh. Doesn't take into account anything at all, like just how little wear machines get over time, how much servicing costs and the money you'd make when selling it. But by all means try to charge your kids friends for games of pinball :/

Tetraeon

Hey devs, is there any way we can insert a toggle to switch between the new/old flipper physics? The new physics seem to slow down and stutter the graphics on my tablet (which is where I do most of my TPA gaming) and it would be awesome to have the option.

Also, I'm imagining a future where TPA will work in Oculus Rift, with the table just being right there in front of you... ugh that would be incredible.

Shaneus

Hey devs, is there any way we can insert a toggle to switch between the new/old flipper physics? The new physics seem to slow down and stutter the graphics on my tablet (which is where I do most of my TPA gaming) and it would be awesome to have the option.

Also, I'm imagining a future where TPA will work in Oculus Rift, with the table just being right there in front of you... ugh that would be incredible.
Table physics are programmed into the table, which is why it's only on two at the moment. Toggling would mean a table has been built from the ground up with both, which I doubt either Xenon or Road Show have.

Sorry :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone heading to California Extreme this weekend?

Yep I'm going to be there with a couple friends. Somewhat against my better judgment because I felt like it was too crowded the first time I went (last year) but my brother is in town so it kind of works out. I think this time I'll be more diligent about just waiting in line for games rather than walking around looking for anything to open up. Worst case we'll just come home and play Metallica. :p

Shaneus

So jealous of you bastards.

Do we know if TPA is coming out this weekend? I'm really only hanging for it because a) we'll likely find out what the next game is, and b) the current full season will finally be available on iOS.

Has given me an excuse to go back to the older tables, though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So jealous of you bastards.

Do we know if TPA is coming out this weekend? I'm really only hanging for it because a) we'll likely find out what the next game is, and b) the current full season will finally be available on iOS.

Has given me an excuse to go back to the older tables, though.

Still holding out hope for High Speed II, since the table hint has the word "getaway" on it.

If it's Safecracker, I'll be okay with that, but I'll hold out on blind buying season 5 until that game gets added. Or Eight Ball Deluxe, I'm not picky.

Tetraeon

Table physics are programmed into the table, which is why it's only on two at the moment. Toggling would mean a table has been built from the ground up with both, which I doubt either Xenon or Road Show have.

Sorry :(

Aghhh bummer. On the bright side, Road Show is quite smooth, it's only Xenon that has minor stuttering.

Vyse24

Usually the Steam achievements would be updated days before the table is launched. So far, it still lists Roadshow as the last table. Maybe next week?

Vyse24

Usually the Steam achievements would be updated days before the table is launched. So far, it still lists Roadshow as the last table. Maybe next week?
Well the achievements updated. If you were one of those who still hoped that it was The Getaway, bad news: It's officially Safe Cracker.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Well the achievements updated. If you were one of those who still hoped that it was The Getaway, bad news: It's officially Safe Cracker.

Okay, this is getting re-goddamn-diculous.

Holding off on Season 5 until they get High Speed II in there.

Vyse24

Farsight has announced the Safe Cracker stream will be this Thursday at 7pm EDT/4pm PDT. Afterwards, the folks from Buffalo Pinball will be playing the real thing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know I've whined about it before but man...don't know if I'll go back to California Extreme until they make some big changes. Don't know if every such con is like this but man...so crowded, so hot. You can't just wander around and play games -- anything decent you have to get in line for...except in most places there's barely enough space to walk much less queue, and there's not really a clear understanding of hey you should only play one game and check if there are people behind you.

Amazing library and volunteers but a real clusterfuck.

Shaneus

$8k for a factory-new LE MM is a steal. 20 years of miniaturization has done wonders for the clean look of the undercarriage and behind the back glass. I wouldn't want to have to swap bulbs out of that thing 20 years from now tho.

Now if only I had $8k burning a hole in my pocket :(
I'm still not sure I like the idea of having surface mount-only LEDs in the thing. Sure, the efficiency and whatever is good, but for those of us that love to get their hands dirty and tweak the living hell out of things, it does suck a little.

I'm still not sure I'd even grab one, either. If I had the cash, I could probably think of about 3 or 4 machines altogether I'd rather own instead.

I don't think I'd buy an LE, a rocker motor and matte black inside and out aren't dealbreakers for me. Presumably the mass-market model will cost at least a grand less. I dunno, I just really like MM, even if I play AfM more.

El_Cinefilo

Possibly a dumb question about this but my game just updated (PS4 UK) and I loaded up to check since I haven't played it since I got my PS4.

I go on Season 4 from the menu and it says "All currently available tables purchased!"
and the same when I go on previous seasons.

Then in My Tables ALL the tables appear to be there and play, no asking me to buy them.

Is this a glitch?

Shaneus

I assume you don't actually own them? I might try that on mine tonight, see what happens. Been a while since I fired it up on the ol' PS4.

joeblow

I randomly fired up PS4's TPA myself today after it downloaded the mega patch. Hoping for the best, I fired it up to see if they fixed the sound glitch that kept me from playing for months (heavy static during certain effects introduced during the last sound "fix").

Great news, I don't hear it any more - at least in the Addams Family game where it grated me the most. Also, controller rumble is FINALLY added. It feels really good and strong, too. I'll check the main forum to see if anything else was added (better online friend support perhaps), but those were the main issues I wanted addressed.

Shaneus

Is that sound glitch a clipping audio thing, or is it to do with the continual use of poor-quality/low-bitrate audio assets?

Top Bottom