• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Erigu

I fired it up to see if they fixed the sound glitch that kept me from playing for months (heavy static during certain effects introduced during the last sound "fix").
Great news, I don't hear it any more - at least in the Addams Family game where it grated me the most.
I tried to see if I could hear a difference... but the biggest difference I noticed was that I apparently now had the Collector's Edition of that table. Not complaining!

joeblow

Is that sound glitch a clipping audio thing, or is it to do with the continual use of poor-quality/low-bitrate audio assets?

Kinda hard to describe. The audio quality improved quite a bit over the terrible PS4 launch version due to a a patch in October, but some noises (like bumper hits on some tables), would be buried in an harsh white noise as if it were a low quality sample (which it wasn't). Now the audio is good without that added nonsense on the few tables I've tried... at least as good as the PC version I've listened to on the same HT setup in my house. <edit> Most tables I checked had no sound issues, but a couple still do, like T2 and Gorgar.

Bonus good news: Farsight also added Xenon, Jackbot and Cyclone to the PS4. That's why the patch was so big. The rumble is far stronger than the PS3 rumble - outstanding effort there. No friend leaderboards yet though, and there are still a couple of Season 4 tables left to put up. So along with a 3D mode, a revamped UI and the improved physics engine they've talked about there is still much to hope for, but at least great progress has been made with this patch.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Possibly a dumb question about this but my game just updated (PS4 UK) and I loaded up to check since I haven't played it since I got my PS4.

I go on Season 4 from the menu and it says "All currently available tables purchased!"
and the same when I go on previous seasons.

Then in My Tables ALL the tables appear to be there and play, no asking me to buy them.

Is this a glitch?

Probably. It's the same for me. I just got my PS4 two days ago and haven't bought any tables yet, but after the patch all tables are available for me, complete with leaderboard uploads and trophies, so those are not trial versions.

Shaneus

Probably. It's the same for me. I just got my PS4 two days ago and haven't bought any tables yet, but after the patch all tables are available for me, complete with leaderboard uploads and trophies, so those are not trial versions.
Same. Australia here and I only had S1 and a few of the KS-backed tables, but I can play everything. And when I go into the S4 or previous seasons menus, they say I own all the tables.

Making the most of this right meow.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yep, this has to be a glitch. I now have the Collector's Edition of Addams Family.

coisou

Neo Member
Didn't get any free tables after update. Maybe they fixed it, or does it matter that I haven't bought any table before so I had only the base game?

joeblow

They fixed the PS4 sound problems? Time for me to buy a PS4, then
I'm not sure how far back you've been following the issue, but there have been three stages of sound problems.

Stage 1, from launch until Oct. 2014. The entire game sounded like it was made with mufffled mobile phone samples. A patch came out that improved the sound across the board, but,

Stage 2, from Oct. 2014 until yesterday. A number of old and new tables were infected with a white noise effect that was layered over the SFX. It was most noticeable on bumpr hits, but could be heard in a variety of ways. The patch yesterday dealt with that for some tables, but,

Stage 3, from yesterday until ??? There are some tables that either are still affected or bewly affected by this issue. I noticed it on two of about ten I tested. Who knows when FS will re-address a problem they created for some unknown reason.

Shaneus

Sound seems to be completely fucked for High Speed, too (not High Speed 2). It's fucked on iOS as well, because the bonus count sound effect loop is cut too short or something, resulting in this weird, stuttery, sometimes even completely silent bonus count. Similar thing happens on iOS, but doesn't happen on PC.

Could well have happened on PS4 all this time, but I've never been able to play it until now.

Edit: In other news, my holy grail(ish) pin has just appeared on eBay, but again is far too expensive for me to consider it (at $2.5k AUD, plus at least $250 to get it to my city). I'm considering a personal loan, because when I mentioned that it showed up on eBay to my girlfriend, she brought up saving for the house (and not having any room for it). Damn :(

Vyse24

161MB patch on Steam.

Version 1.40.7
- Fixed Backglass lamp 16 lighting up the one above it (15)
- Fixed errant GI bulb on JunkYard
- Fixed purchase bug

Version 1.40.6
- Added Safecracker.
- Instruction fixes for Red and Ted
- Fixed errant GI bulb on JunkYard
- Fixed a draw order issue with lower playfield parts on Haunted House (DX11)

Newsletter should come later today.

Vyse24

Newsletter is up now. Upcoming sale, New interface, and of course, the table hint:
Dkh3VIa.jpg

The Getaway: High Speed II

https://773839.content.nlgrid.com/w...YM1Z6WlhKZmFXUWlPakV3TmpBek56RTRNell3TW4wPQ==

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, the table hint is a picture of Steve McQueen, likely from Le Mans.

The Getaway: High Speed II is going to lead off season 5, I can feel it. :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, Safe Cracker is pretty good. I got all the standard goals, two of the wizard goals (I got a $700K+ jackpot in Assault on the Vault and I have no idea how I did that), and three magic tokens.

Not bad in about an hour's worth of play.

Shaneus

Newsletter is up now. Upcoming sale, New interface, and of course, the table hint:
Dkh3VIa.jpg

The Getaway: High Speed II

https://773839.content.nlgrid.com/w...YM1Z6WlhKZmFXUWlPakV3TmpBek56RTRNell3TW4wPQ==
Huh.
iOS, Mac App Store, Amazon and Ouya are delayed but should be released
When?!? They can't even release an mail right. Only so keen because with this release, I'll be able to buy the season 4 pack.

But of course, the iOS release has been botched/delayed. So frustrating. Means a whole weekend without all the tables. At least the ui update is finally on its way.

Won't be holding my breath.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Glad there's a sale "soon", so I can rebuy my tables on PS4 for an acceptable price. Their discount thing for season 1 doesn't seem to work.

Anyone else's Steam TPA still show as "Pinball Arcade [public_beta]" in their library? The OCD in me hates that.

Also I'm not seeing Safe Cracker yet. Any way to force Steam to update?

Shaneus

I don't get Safecracker :/ But what has struck me as being interesting is just how similar RBION is to it! I had no idea, but the middle lock ramp is the same as the middle ramp on Ripley's, the red plastics on either side of the playfield, it has a vari-target and scoop shot... really quite astonished with the similarities.

I think I'll like it eventually, but I really just have no idea what I'm doing in it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Guess I've been out of the loop--is season 5 is going to have a mix of regular and original tables? The Wiki has Rescue 911 being a release next month (which I never heard) and also a game called "Tokyo Ghouls" as part of season 5, as well as a Pokemon Pinball game.

Is somebody just screwing with the Wiki?

Vyse24

Guess I've been out of the loop--is season 5 is going to have a mix of regular and original tables? The Wiki has Rescue 911 being a release next month (which I never heard) and also a game called "Tokyo Ghouls" as part of season 5, as well as a Pokemon Pinball game.

Is somebody just screwing with the Wiki?
Seeing how there's no chance they'll have anything Pokemon in TPA, yeah someone is just messing with the wiki. Only table known for season 5 is The Getaway, but it's not official yet.

Shaneus

Anyone else missing sound on Black Hole and Diner? Seems like this should be next to fix.
If you're not counting the complete lack of true emulation (still) in Black Knight and Firepower (and Gorgar and Black Hole afaik) :/

And yeah, I'd say someone's fucking with the wiki. I doubt Rescue 911 is going to be next and there's no way a Pokemon pinball game will ever appear. Nor one called Tokyo Ghouls as that never existed.

Shaneus

Am I surprised that TPA hasn't been updated on iOS yet? No. Frustrated? Yes.

Haven't seen nicoga up in this thread for quite a while... where are ya, tiger?

Shaneus

Preparing for Gen Con and trying to figure out how to play Safecracker. ;)
Same (on the latter point). Still have not much of a fucking clue. Still (to me) feels a lot like RBION, though. Love some of the little toys in it too, particularly the TOTAN-esque spinner thing on the LHS of the playfield. Don't like how lighting the entrances are linked to the drop targets near the pops, though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Same (on the latter point). Still have not much of a fucking clue. Still (to me) feels a lot like RBION, though. Love some of the little toys in it too, particularly the TOTAN-esque spinner thing on the LHS of the playfield. Don't like how lighting the entrances are linked to the drop targets near the pops, though.

Yeah, I don't love how that works (with the pops and drops). I am absolutely loving the immersion in the whole theme, though. Sound and callouts and top notch fun.

Tetraeon

Yeah it's very RBION-esque. The ramps are even the same color and placement, even the multiball loading causeway. I dig the backglass, though I've only been able to earn a magic token one time... those damn alarms keep getting me and I've only successfully been able to disable them twice. Seems quite easy to clear the drops near the pop bumpers to me, but that could be luck. They packed quite a lot of stuff into this little guy. The "beep beep beep" sound effect is fantastic when you first move up to the board game and it's showing you where you begin and need to go.

Shaneus

I just heard that Spidey VE is definitely maybe coming out soon. ;)
Not much of a surprise, I imagine the licensing is a good deal easier for that than LotR.

Also won't be seeing a big change in the market here in Australia either... it's about as easy to get an OG Iron-Man as it has been to get a Spidey, so there won't be any changes in prices of original machines... at least, not significant. I reckon Spidey would be a looker with original LEDs, too.

And running on Spike. Hmmm.

Yeah it's very RBION-esque. The ramps are even the same color and placement, even the multiball loading causeway. I dig the backglass, though I've only been able to earn a magic token one time... those damn alarms keep getting me and I've only successfully been able to disable them twice. Seems quite easy to clear the drops near the pop bumpers to me, but that could be luck. They packed quite a lot of stuff into this little guy. The "beep beep beep" sound effect is fantastic when you first move up to the board game and it's showing you where you begin and need to go.
Glad I'm not alone in this. Surprised to see that not many comparisons have been drawn between the two (at least, from what I can find in a Google search). I'm really surprised how much they packed in as well, so I'd be surprised if its layout didn't heavily influence RBION, at least in terms of underneath the playfield and things like VUKs and the vari-target. Must've helped, at least.

But yeah, I'm kind of digging it now, with the exception of the drop targets near the pops like I mentioned earlier. Everything else is quite neat on it. Maybe we'd even see a Planetary re-release of it someday.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Stern already said old games will run on old hardware. They could retcon that like they do everything, but I'm going to take that at face value for now.

My money is already ready for a SMVE, though. I'm already on alert with a distributor to get one ASAP, ha.

Shaneus

Stern already said old games will run on old hardware. They could retcon that like they do everything, but I'm going to take that at face value for now.

My money is already ready for a SMVE, though. I'm already on alert with a distributor to get one ASAP, ha.
I'm sure I read on FB (I think I asked the question) that future VE titles will run on whatever the current hardware is at the time. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it was a LONG time ago.

Anyone on here going to ReplayFX in Pittsburgh, hell of a set up of tables. Sadly im stuck at a vendor table currently

Also, anything i should ask the Farsight dudes (their booth is right next door, we already talked about Ghostbusters which was pretty candid and funny)

Shaneus

Anyone on here going to ReplayFX in Pittsburgh, hell of a set up of tables. Sadly im stuck at a vendor table currently

Also, anything i should ask the Farsight dudes (their booth is right next door, we already talked about Ghostbusters which was pretty candid and funny)
Which vendor are you?

I spoke to Norman for aaages at Texas in 2014, had a good old yak about travelling from Australia to be there, being a big TPA fan etc. so I guess he might remember me if he's there!

Yup. The patch fixes that glitch.
Love how that's already been patched, yet the iOS version still hasn't been released for Season 4/Safecracker :/

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Yes, now that they have High Speed II lined up, can they get No Fear in there, or is that a licensing hassle? I'd also like to see Flash and Stellar Wars, hell, everything else from that pre-1980 poll, and some more classic Stern titles.

EDIT: I'd also love to see Corvette, too.

Shaneus

Yes, now that they have High Speed II lined up, can they get No Fear in there, or is that a licensing hassle? I'd also like to see Flash and Stellar Wars, hell, everything else from that pre-1980 poll, and some more classic Stern titles.

EDIT: I'd also love to see Corvette, too.
No Fear would be awesome. I'd also love to see The Shadow and WCS (two machines I'm eyeballing as my next ones) but I have a feeling they're equally as bad for licensing. Though maybe WCS might be a bit easier, given they'd want all the money they can get ;) And maybe with The Shadow, they can pull a TAF and change the likeness of everyone famous in the backglass enough so they can release the table? From memory, there are zero actor likenesses on the playfield.

I voted for Flash too in that poll :/ I never realised it, but are you a Steve Ritchie fan? Mentioning No Fear and Flash in the same post! I'd love to see Flash make it, such a great playing game.

Which vendor are you?

I spoke to Norman for aaages at Texas in 2014, had a good old yak about travelling from Australia to be there, being a big TPA fan etc. so I guess he might remember me if he's there!

Love how that's already been patched, yet the iOS version still hasn't been released for Season 4/Safecracker :/

8 Bit Evolution, and yeah Norm is here. He remembered me, so its totally possible

Also, they all jumped on my bandwagom for Resue 911. Sorry about that lol

Shaneus

8 Bit Evolution, and yeah Norm is here. He remembered me, so its totally possible

Also, they all jumped on my bandwagom for Resue 911. Sorry about that lol
What happened? Did you suggest it could've been the next game and that's how it made the wiki? Or are you talking about something else?

Tetraeon

Ugh I've been bitten by the pinball bug and want to start saving for a machine.

What's a decent entry-level price point machine that's actually pretty good? Some machines I really enjoy playing are Scared Stiff, White Water, High Roller, and RBION but I feel like those are a bit out of reach for someone who doesn't have a massive budget (or, at least, won't have one for a while).

Been hearing rumblings of machines like Johnny Mnemonic, Shadow, or Demolition Man but I don't know a lot about these tables. Please advise!

Top Bottom