• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Unless they get Indianapolis 500 in there, and I hope they do, I'm going to put Judge Dredd as the best licensed game in TPA.

Shaneus

Unless they get Indianapolis 500 in there, and I hope they do, I'm going to put Judge Dredd as the best licensed game in TPA.
Wow, really? That's a pretty big call on top of ST:TNG. I'm just bummed that because I have no internet at home, I won't be able to play JD (unless there's a way I can get it working at work, download it and take it home). I've just downloaded and backed up the latest TPA game on my work PC (shhhh!) so we'll see if that works while I'm offline at home. Fingers crossed!

Newsletter is up

They tease a head-to-head game for February or March. Could be that A.G. Football game, but it could also be Joust, since that's also head-to-head and has the benefit of being based on a well-known video game.

I have no idea what the hint is for. Could be for a game from the leak or something.

JANUARYHINT_2015.jpg

Any ideas?
Oh, that makes sense on the head-to-head, given that it's coming to PC (and I assume other platforms) in the coming months. I think it was AG Football I played a year or so ago at a pinball expo in Sydney and it was head-to-head (and crap). Joust would be far better.

Shaneus

What city do you live in? I saw a post on my facebook feed about a competition in Sidney at Rocks brewery on the 20th.

I guess I've known Jen so long I don't think about it that she is such a great player. She definitely gets around more than me. If I had the money to travel like her I could move up into the top 200. I've only left the state once to play and it's really hard for me to justify spending 1000 dollars to fly and stay for a weekend when I will probably get beat by all the good players.
The best part of being here is that so many good players are here or show up and you get to see how good they are and learn. I beat Adam Leftcoft at a tournament last night to win and Trent Augustine is staying at our house for the week since he and Jen are friends. Hell, I had Elwin staying with us last year so I have been very fortunate that I have been able to absorb from so many great players.

I keep getting told about all kinds of high level strats for Walking dead, Game of Thrones or Metallica that I can't even pull off.

Edit: In fact, a place called Z Pinball in Sidney that seems to be sponsoring all of the AUS tournaments I see on my feed.
Here is their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/PinballZball/?fref=nf
I'm in Melbourne, so Sydney is a bit of a hike unless I'm super, super keen. And that seems to be the problem with becoming a high-ranking player... you really need to invest a lot of time and money into it otherwise you just don't get the points up. The problem with Sydney is that because so many high-ranked players are there, when they all play in a comp together the points are massive, whereas here they're significantly less because we just don't have the high-ranking players.

I'm with you on strategies, too. I like that there are people good enough who can keep a ball in play *and* think about what particular mode is worth more points, but I hate that I'm not one of them. Need to work on my nudging, there are too many saveable outlane and center drains that I'm just not recovering from.

And yeah, Zball seems pretty solid (again in Syd) on backing and pushing comps. Nothing really like that here in Melbourne, where you're lucky if you have two machines on location in any one place. We need a good selection of barcades that have 5+ machines... right now we have none :/

FoxSpirit

Okay, a short review of Judge Dredd for Pinball Arcade:
Graphically, this is a great representation of the real thing, I couldn't ask for more. At 50/50 it looks a lot like in the flesh.

Gameplay wise, this table highlights to me that PA is still too floaty. Plus there is a "ramp-magnet" it feels every halfway shot that goes up the ramp goes super smooth while the ramps are much more fickle in real life. Same for a lot of other stuff, things feel too slow. Still, it's not so bad that I don't wanna touch it but it's waaay easier than the rel thing. Still, the topic is awesome and the presentation on of the best of any table of all times.

Now, to kill those Dark Judges... *grumble*

Oh, and one detail definitely missing from PA simulation: solenoid simulation.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Oh nice, I hope that means Season 3 will be discounted on PSN soon as well.

Apparently they've said the sales will be restricted to mobile and steam because the other platforms don't allow for instant sales but have to be planned in advance and allowed by MS/Sony.

Btw, I've just won Season 3 on iOS with their 12 Days of Gifts facebook prizes! :D
I knew making a FB account just for gaming was the right thing to do ;)
So awesome, now I'm only missing some S4 and all of S5 tables on iOS (got most seasons onPS4/360/Steam too). Yay!

They've also said there's no plans atm to become bc on Xbox One (a shame since Zen Studios did it).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow--Today's "12 Days of Christmas" announcement is a 2016 Kickstarter for the Dr. Who table.

Not sure that this one will get funded.

Vyse24

Wow--Today's "12 Days of Christmas" announcement is a 2016 Kickstarter for the Dr. Who table.

I'm sure there will be some fans of the series who'll chip in as well.

And besides, I'm sure if The Addams Family can get kickstarted, anything can.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm sure there will be some fans of the series who'll chip in as well.

And besides, I'm sure if The Addams Family can get kickstarted, anything can.
Thing is, the game was released in 1992, way before the new series was even on the radar. Not having the actors from the new series may be an issue.

Thing is, the game was released in 1992, way before the new series was even on the radar. Not having the actors from the new series may be an issue.

At the same time, it would lower the total cost of the license, maybe this table will have a lower goal than TAF. They had around ~17.5k at the end of TAF, maybe they saved that to reduce the cost of the Dr. Who table.

I might, might not fund this one, personally. I wonder who would want this, it doesn't even crack the top 50 among ipdb.org's user rankings.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Kickstarter for tables rubs me wrong with these guys. But we'll see how it goes. I would imagine it shouldn't be too hard to treat the table like they do every other table, but maybe there's some other systems at play that make it hard to convert?

FyreWulff

Kickstarter for tables rubs me wrong with these guys. But we'll see how it goes. I would imagine it shouldn't be too hard to treat the table like they do every other table, but maybe there's some other systems at play that make it hard to convert?

They've made it pretty clear why they do the KS for some tables. The licensing would cost so much that they'd have to charge a crapton to make back their money on expected sales.

They've been pretty upfront that the KSes are literally to ablate the final cost of the table for the general public.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They've made it pretty clear why they do the KS for some tables. The licensing would cost so much that they'd have to charge a crapton to make back their money on expected sales.

They've been pretty upfront that the KSes are literally to ablate the final cost of the table for the general public.

Oh yeah I know - I remember T2. But that doesn't take away from my personal opinion on KS campaigns and Farsights general lack of support. Maybe they're turning things around, but I'll continue to wait until it's done before I buy it. Dr. Who isn't really a table I care about anyways, so if it doesn't get funded, it's no skin off my back.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I mean, if we're going to Kickstart a game, give me:

Indiana Jones Adventures
Indy 500
World Cup Soccer '94
Congo
Simpsons Pinball Party

All better pinball games. Rights for IJ and Simpsons may be a lot more, though.

Shaneus

To no-one's surprise whatsoever, Stern announced their Spidey Vault Edition today.

People are iffy on the price (same as GoT Premium) but I think it's fair enough if you compare it to what people sell their OG Spideys if they're HUO. Nate on C2C brought up a great point, if they do something similar with Dark Knight (make it look like the early comics, pls) I'd be able to swing it past the fiancee, despite it not being a big fave of mine. She loves her classic Batman.

Shaneus

Polygon just posted an article on Spidey (amongst other things) too. The real interesting thing in the article, though, is this:
"Last year we showed off our new spike electronic system, a nice modern system built on a series of node boards and ribbon cables," Jody Dankberg, director of marketing at Stern Pinball, told me. "This year we’re talking about an LCD display. It will be introduced on the first game after Spider-Man."

Shaneus

Eh, I don't really think so. It's probably a bigger deal here in Australia because this means it breaks the $10k barrier (it's $2,500 over a regular Pro), but if $1,500US is the determining factor in whether one will buy a machine or not, maybe their heart's not in it anyway.

Velinos

"Last year we showed off our new spike electronic system, a nice modern system built on a series of node boards and ribbon cables," Jody Dankberg, director of marketing at Stern Pinball, told me. "This year we’re talking about an LCD display. It will be introduced on the first game after Spider-Man."

Correction: A Stern Pinball representative contacted Polygon to say that the LCD display would be announced later in 2016, but that it won't be in the first machine after Spider-Man, contrary to Dankberg's comment.

No LCD for Ghostbusters. :(

Also just got word that a SMVE is going on location locally, so I'll post my thoughts on it when I get to play it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm really excited to see what the first LCD game is going to be. If the theme is good it might be my next pickup.

Shaneus

No LCD for Ghostbusters. :(

Also just got word that a SMVE is going on location locally, so I'll post my thoughts on it when I get to play it.
Very keen to hear your impressions. Have you put much time into the original?

I'm expecting it to play a little faster. From what I can remember, there were some plastic protectors (or guides? I doubt it) that were replaced with metal ones, but that's it. Only real bummer as far as "toys" go is the bouncing Green Goblin getting replaced with a static one. But I'm sure mods will come out soon enough. Hopefully they'll allow existing machine owners to put the new code on there, too.

Velinos

Very keen to hear your impressions. Have you put much time into the original?

I'm expecting it to play a little faster. From what I can remember, there were some plastic protectors (or guides? I doubt it) that were replaced with metal ones, but that's it. Only real bummer as far as "toys" go is the bouncing Green Goblin getting replaced with a static one. But I'm sure mods will come out soon enough. Hopefully they'll allow existing machine owners to put the new code on there, too.

I have not played the original, so I will not be able to compare the two. So my thoughts will be more from the perspective of someone playing this for the first time.

adroit

Anyone know what the "ads" table option does? I have the Android version and checked the table options for one of the tables I own (though I think the table options are global to all tables, not just the table you are playing at the time you check the options) and saw an "Ads" option which was set to "on". But the game has never shown me an ad (I only play tables I've bought).

Anyone know what would happen if I set that option to off? Maybe I should leave it alone. If it started showing me ads when I set it to off, I'd really be zarked off. 8D

The options user interface (at least on Android) is just awful. I wish they'd hire a decent UI programmer.

UPDATE: I tried tapping the "Ads" option and it popped up an IAP dialog asking me if I want to pay 99 cents to turn off ads for that table! A table I already own! So if I were careless and pressed the "Pay" button they'd presumably charge me another 99 cents even though I already bought the table. Brain-dead user interface from hell.

That Spaderman Vault edition looks amazing and it's a great game anyways, I wish I could get one.

I'm putting my first pin in a location soon. A bar in Aurora wanted an older game so I think the Bally EightBall is going to move over there soon.

I ended up #7 in the state ranking so I'll be in the finals next month. It's kind of funny since I have maybe double the number of tournaments played that other people do.

AlexMogil

FarSight's Dr. Who Pinball Arcade Kickstarter

I have no real investment in this machine, so I probably won't back it... especially given their track record with delivering reward codes etc. Be interesting to see what happens when one fails, and I have no issues if this one doesn't make it.

I'm going to get behind it just for the sheer reason the game is so annoying. Killing Daleks is the loudest sound in pinball. I was playing at an arcade and the table was right next to a kid's party and the operator had the table volume at max. I got so much side eye I left the table mid game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I think I'm in the market for a new pin...Had to sell my collection to buy a car a little while back. Sucks, but that's life. The car is nice? Haha

That said, deciding what to get. TWD is really fantastic, but finding a SM (non VE) is enticing. Of course, I could hunt down a LOTR again since I fucking love LOTR. I don't know...

Shaneus

So a good friend headed (from Australia) to Arcade Expo, managed to get second in Classics B and barely miss out on making the Modern B finals. Considering he's never played in a comp of this size/significance before, it's a pretty good effort.

That, and because we don't have the diversity in machines here, wasn't up to the level of others as far as rules and such go. Gives me hope that if I enter a comp in the US, I might not do so badly :)

Sorry for another bump, but GOT Pro may be on my radar as well. How does it play?
It's a Steve Ritchie table.

Sorry for dropping back in here blindly, but what's the current state of the PS4 version? I started holding off buying it or any new tables for so long that I practically forgot about the whole game. Been itching to get back to some Adams Family tho

Plinko

Sorry for dropping back in here blindly, but what's the current state of the PS4 version? I started holding off buying it or any new tables for so long that I practically forgot about the whole game. Been itching to get back to some Adams Family tho

It's fantastic. New releases are always a few months behind mobile/Steam, though.

Dash Kappei

It'd be pretty cool if some of you guys reserved a spot for TPA's Addams Family (or whatever was your 2015's best, tho I think TAF deserves to be in there simply because it was something unthinkable just 3 years ago, a far away dream... and yet we've made it, we did it guys! :) in the GOTY voting thread! I did my part :)

C'mon!
Game deserves more recognition, the vast majority I spoken to didn't even know there was a pinball sim with TAF in it on PS4, instead they knew about Marvel Pinball and such, and they went crazy when I told them and instantly bought it upon trying it.
This thread could do with some new blood in it too, we need to spread the love for pinball :)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

Shaneus

Zsoft just announced Zaccaria Pinball is now in the Steam Greenlit program

So spread the word and get some votes happening..their IOS version is simply amazing and it would be amazing to have this on PC

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=605301580

day night, or stormy night lighting, RGB or white LED lighting or original , glass reflection quality , table dirt and wear..really amazing stuff on the ipad

Check it out

watch
Oh hells yes! They'd been quiet on the iOS front for a while, was hoping they were up to something big.

Dash Kappei

Oh hell yeah, Zaccaria is amazing.
It basically makes you think what FS could do with TPA if it maybe started dropping a few platforms ;)

...but maybe not, TPA won't even add portrait mode to consoles, they've straight told me "no plans at all" like it wouldn't make sense.
Tell that to shmup players who deservedly get TATE mode in 99% of the releases, goddamn

Mondrian

Man, I cannot for the life of me get the vita version of this game working at all. I download the game, bought the season pass for season 4 and downloaded all the tables. Everything installs fine but none of my tables show up... Anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I have to try to get a refund from Sony on this :(

Top Bottom