• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm in NYC at the moment and I plan on going to Modern Pinball NYC today. Sounds like they just got Kiss and GOT according to their Twitter.

FS also confirmed that No Fear: Dangerous Sports is the next TPA table and should be up next week.

Shaneus

I'm in NYC at the moment and I plan on going to Modern Pinball NYC today. Sounds like they just got Kiss and GOT according to their Twitter.

FS also confirmed that No Fear: Dangerous Sports is the next TPA table and should be up next week.
Damn, I thought it was due this week :(

Vyse24

Didn't see either, but they did get an F-14 Tomcat, the Bally Kiss, and a Flash.
Well Bally Kiss has been there for a while now. If my memory serves me right, it's now next to the new Kiss table by the front of the store. It's been a few months since I was last there, so they may have moved it around.

And I can remember if they were there the last time, but I see they also sold Fish Tales and Cactus Canyon.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I wonder if the upcoming Stern Pinball Arcade app will get Mustang, that one was also pretty fun, even though I can only complete the drag race mode. All I need to do with that one is hit the GEARS targets and get a multiball. All the other ones, I have no idea what to do.

Wrestlemania is also pretty fun, even though I have no clue how to use the ring flippers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I wonder if the upcoming Stern Pinball Arcade app will get Mustang, that one was also pretty fun, even though I can only complete the drag race mode. All I need to do with that one is hit the GEARS targets and get a multiball. All the other ones, I have no idea what to do.

Wrestlemania is also pretty fun, even though I have no clue how to use the ring flippers.

Is there an ETA on this?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Is there an ETA on this?

I don't think so, I'm assuming that FS will have something a little more concrete in their end-of-year Facebook posts. I just wanted to throw that out there.

If Stern Pinball Arcade is going to have stuff from the past five years, then the five I'd like to see the most are Mustang, Wrestlemania, AC/DC, Star Trek and Metallica. If it's all of the post-1999 stuff, throw in The Simpsons Pinball Party and Iron Man onto that list (haven't seen a Spider-Man in the wild yet, can't comment on that one. Saw an Iron Man and Avengers in the wild in Seattle a couple of years ago, played 'em both, thought Iron Man was the better of the two. I also remember seeing a NASCAR game in the wild, but didn't play it.)

Jesus... if this extends to the before-I-was-born stuff, too, throw Iron Maiden, Star Gazer, Quicksilver and Seawitch on the list too, always wanted to play those...

Vyse24

No Fear is now out, and so is the latest Newsletter.
ZwfEa2T.png

Judge Dredd

https://773839.content.nlgrid.com/w...YM1Z6WlhKZmFXUWlPakV5TWpFMU5qQTROamswTVgwPQ==

Shaneus

No Fear is now out, and so is the latest Newsletter.
ZwfEa2T.png

Judge Dredd

https://773839.content.nlgrid.com/w...YM1Z6WlhKZmFXUWlPakV5TWpFMU5qQTROamswTVgwPQ==
Ahhh. Yeah, that makes sense.

No Fear is playing pretty damn well on PC. Haven't given it a solid shot but feels pretty good. Kinda feels a little off from when I last played a real machine (more than other machines), but I'm probably being way too picky. Ball just needs to have a more weighty feel, I think.

Blu10

Man No Fear is the first table for me they have completely missed the mark on. I'm getting lag on just the right flipper intermittently, they took out the names of people when you start modes (probably licensing issues), and it should not be possible to backhand the skydive. :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looks like the leak is looking legit. I just wonder what Playboy table we're getting. The Bally one looks obvious, but still...

And where's Eight Ball Deluxe?

What tables were involved in the leak?

As for the other table, I would imagine that's going to be released for the "Pinball After Dark" app, no?

Shaneus

Something interesting I noticed with No Fear that I suspected would happen, is that the Valvoline logo has been replaced on the backglass and playfield with a generic "NF/No Fear" logo. I suspect this will also happen when we inevitably see Rollergames appear.

This gives me hope!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Something interesting I noticed with No Fear that I suspected would happen, is that the Valvoline logo has been replaced on the backglass and playfield with a generic "NF/No Fear" logo. I suspect this will also happen when we inevitably see Rollergames appear.

This gives me hope!

They didn't change the artwork in the main menu or the flyer, though.

Shaneus

They didn't change the artwork in the main menu or the flyer, though.
Yeah, I noticed that. Flyer might be different, but I'd say the menu screen is probably an over(far)sight.

Machine does play hard as balls though, really enjoying it. Taking a while to time my shots right.

AcridMeat

Banned
Uhhh, can anyone explain what happened to me? Was playing TNG and doing well for a change, when the scoreboard bugged out (pixelated then disappeared). My flippers were locked so all of my multiball was drained, and then I got these messages flashing. I couldn't do anything but shake the table around which did nothing, calling attendant just said a ball wasn't stuck and cancelled. This is super weird.
The only buttons I hit were my flipper buttons so I don't know what just happened.

FoxSpirit

Man, Judge Dredd?? This season is mad hype, I love High Speed II and Tomcat. With Jredd I wil get a very indepth look at simulation accuracy since I've gotten about 30 hours into that machine during the past year.

Even learned shaking at least slightly properly 3 weeks ago. It feels so awesome when you save a ball with that without tilting. My freidn Rainer did the darndest thing: had a great Highscore, ball scrains, he hits the machine "a gad damn it", ball is still in the outlane, tilt. Cost him about 600 million points. There was silence.

We had a good laugh but damn it, that was a heavy blow to his 300mil score >.<

Shaneus

Uhhh, can anyone explain what happened to me? Was playing TNG and doing well for a change, when the scoreboard bugged out (pixelated then disappeared). My flippers were locked so all of my multiball was drained, and then I got these messages flashing. I couldn't do anything but shake the table around which did nothing, calling attendant just said a ball wasn't stuck and cancelled. This is super weird.

The only buttons I hit were my flipper buttons so I don't know what just happened.
That's super, super weird... absolutely no idea what could've happened there. What it says on the DMD makes it look like it thinks the coin door was opened, but that shouldn't have happened mid-game. Might be worth contacting Farsight directly about it.

Velinos

Glad the leak is turning out to be real. So ready for some Rescue 911.

I'm most excited for TX-Sector. Cool game with an AMAZING soundtrack. Another one of those under rated, low run games that has become hard to find as people have discovered it in the past few years. I'm hoping that Swords of Fury makes it into the next season. Another cool game with a great soundtrack.

AcridMeat

Banned
That's super, super weird... absolutely no idea what could've happened there. What it says on the DMD makes it look like it thinks the coin door was opened, but that shouldn't have happened mid-game. Might be worth contacting Farsight directly about it.
Why would that even be a thing for a virtual game? I think I will contact them just to know what the heck it is.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Old man/parent rant: I'm going to be upset if they don't start allowing a way to sort these games before Playboy hits. My kids play this game.

I gave in and paid for Season 5, by the way. No regrets.

Shaneus

Why would that even be a thing for a virtual game? I think I will contact them just to know what the heck it is.
Absolutely no idea. I know weird things can happen sometimes if you push some buttons too quickly when entering your name, as the "select" button just emulates start and sometimes it can start a new game without realising... but this, I don't know. I mean, could even just be a bug with the actual pinball software and completely unavoidable (even if it happened IRL).

Old man/parent rant: I'm going to be upset if they don't start allowing a way to sort these games before Playboy hits. My kids play this game.
Oh god, tell me about it. Took me fucking forever to scroll to No Fear when I played it on PC. There was supposed to be a beta for the new interface on PC but it never got off the ground. I'd be happy for there to be a way to create collections of sorts. Or even sort by most recent... but collections would be far better.

Shaneus

I'm most excited for TX-Sector. Cool game with an AMAZING soundtrack. Another one of those under rated, low run games that has become hard to find as people have discovered it in the past few years. I'm hoping that Swords of Fury makes it into the next season. Another cool game with a great soundtrack.
I never found out who did the music for Gottlieb's games of that era, but I love them! TX-Sector and Night Moves are my favourites.

That's a shame, it didn't count my Black Rose score for the new tournament. I ended the game with 5 seconds left to collect end of ball bonus, entered initials, pushed A and it immediately started a new game. So the new game with 0 points is what got submitted.

Edit: This was on the steam version. Is that a thing that happens?

Managed to finally hit up Button Mash in LA as they do have several pins set up:

Game of Thrones
Kiss
The Walking Dead
Scared Stiff (w/ color DMD mod)
Fish Tales
Tales from the Crypt

And a few other tables I can't remember right now.

The good news is that most of the tables are in excellent condition. SS had a sticky right flipper but besides that zero complaints about the condition of any of the pins, if you play in LA head on down.

The bad news is that around 8pm it becomes impossible to enjoy the games because it is one of those arcade + bar + restaurant joints, the parking is awful and it gets insanely hot with the number of bodies piling in there.

KISS is awesome.

Game of Thrones is more fun than I thought it would be, the table's speed is insane.

Blu10

Managed to finally hit up Button Mash in LA as they do have several pins set up:

Game of Thrones
Kiss
The Walking Dead
Scared Stiff (w/ color DMD mod)
Fish Tales
Tales from the Crypt

And a few other tables I can't remember right now.

The good news is that most of the tables are in excellent condition. SS had a sticky right flipper but besides that zero complaints about the condition of any of the pins, if you play in LA head on down.

The bad news is that around 8pm it becomes impossible to enjoy the games because it is one of those arcade + bar + restaurant joints, the parking is awful and it gets insanely hot with the number of bodies piling in there.

KISS is awesome.

Game of Thrones is more fun than I thought it would be, the table's speed is insane.

How would you rank those tables from best to worst?

HA, so I was looking at that field and said, 'wow that looks like it was made by the America's Most Haunted People' and I look up and it's Spooky Pinball. It's weird, their fields feel a little over-simple but they have decent rules so it's a fun game to play.

The owners of their tables keep saying it's a pinball machine designed by someone who doesn't play enough pinball. That's not really supposed to be an insult, but AMH gets balls stuck all over the field because they didn't quite design the angles and area of the field to let the ball pass.

My roommate Jen and I are looking at getting into business in Aurora. She bought a Walking Dead and a Game of Thrones that should be here at the end of the week. She has been trying to find a location to put them in Aurora and I'm going to be in charge of fixing them and moving them and we share the money (or at least she takes it off my rent which is FINE)

It means we finally will have some new Sterns at the house to play until they get moved. Super Excited about that!

We have the last two big annual tournaments this weekend. Since we have two '1UP' locations, Dan Gutchess is allowed to have an annual tournament on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday we are on Colfax for a double elimination tournament, 2 out of 3 in the winners side and single game in the losers side.

Sunday we are Downtown in LoDo for a 4 strike tournament that will likely take all day to finish.

I'm currently at #6 in the state ranking with some points will waiting to come in. I'll make it in no problem but I never get past the first round so I'll have to see who I play against next month.

Found another KISS table near where I live. Got two replays out of a buck's worth of quarters. It is really really fun but some of the shots really punish you for missing, to the point where I might alarm the management with how much I have to shove the table around to save a drain down the center.

FoxSpirit

Soooo, I am about to beat my old highscore on Judge Dredd by a good margin, had an amazing multiball where I really nailed a few loops. Sure, I could still totally fuck up the last ball but even then, new record. Wooo!!
Go into the last ball, good, skillshot nailed and
BAM
Power Outage.

What in three devils? Someone had turned on the SilverBall,shoddy arcade machine with the highlight being a silly but fun erotic quiz, and it shortcircuited causing the breakers to go into action.

3 hours later I finally redid the feat, it was pure grudgeplay that kept me going :)

Soooo, I am about to beat my old highscore on Judge Dredd by a good margin, had an amazing multiball where I really nailed a few loops. Sure, I could still totally fuck up the last ball but even then, new record. Wooo!!
Go into the last ball, good, skillshot nailed and
BAM
Power Outage.

What in three devils? Someone had turned on the SilverBall,shoddy arcade machine with the highlight being a silly but fun erotic quiz, and it shortcircuited causing the breakers to go into action.

3 hours later I finally redid the feat, it was pure grudgeplay that kept me going :)

Hell Yeah. I've never done very well at Dredd. It's a hard game to play.

Vyse24

So I just remembered the whole 12 days of Christmas thing they do.

Day 1 was the announcement of a special holiday tournament running until Christmas.
Day 2 was Oculus-support is coming 2016 {mid-2018 in real time ;)}
Day 3 was a Judge Dredd stream on Twitch yesterday.

Shaneus

So I just remembered the whole 12 days of Christmas thing they do.

Day 1 was the announcement of a special holiday tournament running until Christmas.
Day 2 was Oculus-support is coming 2016 {mid-2018 in real time ;)}
Day 3 was a Judge Dredd stream on Twitch yesterday.
Prefer PSVR support, hopefully they'll announce that too.

HA, so I was looking at that field and said, 'wow that looks like it was made by the America's Most Haunted People' and I look up and it's Spooky Pinball. It's weird, their fields feel a little over-simple but they have decent rules so it's a fun game to play.

The owners of their tables keep saying it's a pinball machine designed by someone who doesn't play enough pinball. That's not really supposed to be an insult, but AMH gets balls stuck all over the field because they didn't quite design the angles and area of the field to let the ball pass.

My roommate Jen and I are looking at getting into business in Aurora. She bought a Walking Dead and a Game of Thrones that should be here at the end of the week. She has been trying to find a location to put them in Aurora and I'm going to be in charge of fixing them and moving them and we share the money (or at least she takes it off my rent which is FINE)

It means we finally will have some new Sterns at the house to play until they get moved. Super Excited about that!

We have the last two big annual tournaments this weekend. Since we have two '1UP' locations, Dan Gutchess is allowed to have an annual tournament on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday we are on Colfax for a double elimination tournament, 2 out of 3 in the winners side and single game in the losers side.

Sunday we are Downtown in LoDo for a 4 strike tournament that will likely take all day to finish.

I'm currently at #6 in the state ranking with some points will waiting to come in. I'll make it in no problem but I never get past the first round so I'll have to see who I play against next month.
Still spins me out that you're rooming with someone I've seen play on a Twitch stream. Guess it's because it'll likely never happen on that kind of scale here in Australia. I should move to whatever state you're in, just so I can play in multiple comps... not that it'd help me now, I've had to miss several because I've just finished moving house :/

Vyse24

P.A. Facebook said:
It's Day Four of "Pinball Arcade's 12 Days of Christmas"!
Want to get in on our Days of Giveaways? Share and Like on Facebook!
We are very proud to announce that we will be implementing "Head to Head Mode" with a table release in Feb or March that is designed specifically for head-to-head gameplay! In addition to the table, we will be supporting timed head-to-head matches for all tables on PC and mobile in early 2016 with console support later in the year.
Share this post and make sure to mark it "Public" to be entered to win a free copy of F-14 Tomcat™ for PS4, Steam or Mobile! We will be announcing 5 winners tomorrow! Make sure to like our page to be eligible to win!

H2H mode finally coming out. Nice.

AcridMeat

Banned
This holiday tournament has made me appreciate Funhouse way more. I always disliked it because I don't like the music and the head bothers me, but it's a fun table. By contrast, I've found out I really don't like Creature from the Black Lagoon. I thought I did but yeah, just not fun like it used to be.

FoxSpirit

Just a short question: what can be the cause of the flippers not having the right activation force? It seems ours is too low.

Prefer PSVR support, hopefully they'll announce that too.

Still spins me out that you're rooming with someone I've seen play on a Twitch stream. Guess it's because it'll likely never happen on that kind of scale here in Australia. I should move to whatever state you're in, just so I can play in multiple comps... not that it'd help me now, I've had to miss several because I've just finished moving house :/

What city do you live in? I saw a post on my facebook feed about a competition in Sidney at Rocks brewery on the 20th.

I guess I've known Jen so long I don't think about it that she is such a great player. She definitely gets around more than me. If I had the money to travel like her I could move up into the top 200. I've only left the state once to play and it's really hard for me to justify spending 1000 dollars to fly and stay for a weekend when I will probably get beat by all the good players.
The best part of being here is that so many good players are here or show up and you get to see how good they are and learn. I beat Adam Leftcoft at a tournament last night to win and Trent Augustine is staying at our house for the week since he and Jen are friends. Hell, I had Elwin staying with us last year so I have been very fortunate that I have been able to absorb from so many great players.

I keep getting told about all kinds of high level strats for Walking dead, Game of Thrones or Metallica that I can't even pull off.

Edit: In fact, a place called Z Pinball in Sidney that seems to be sponsoring all of the AUS tournaments I see on my feed.
Here is their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/PinballZball/?fref=nf

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Newsletter is up

They tease a head-to-head game for February or March. Could be that A.G. Football game, but it could also be Joust, since that's also head-to-head and has the benefit of being based on a well-known video game.

I have no idea what the hint is for. Could be for a game from the leak or something.

JANUARYHINT_2015.jpg

Any ideas?

Top Bottom