• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Bob's Burger bundled ogether with tables for in the Balls for Glory Pack: Archer, Family Guy and American Dad.
It looks like an awesome pack I'll buy day one.
I don't care for FG or AD, but give me some of that sweet H. Jon Benjamin action! Still don't like the way PFX plays, but I love the Archer and Bob's Burgers IP far too much.

Also have a suspicion that the callouts used in Archer for PFX might find their way into the Elwin's physical Archer machine.

Shaneus

Congratulations to Steve Bowden on winning the Expo 2015 comp. Was very exciting to watch, glad he pulled it off in the end!

Anyone else here a little bit excited for the Steam controller upcoming release? The underside paddles would be great to use as flippers, although having said that the dual-stage triggers would be great flipper controls as well. Maybe triggers for flippers, under-hand paddle things for nudging?

Time to don my wrestling mask and whiskey goggles!

12112106_1018281451555797_8251805950617364955_n.jpg

This amazing poster done by Zach Smith of Tilt-Hammer.com

http://www.tilt-hammer.com/

Check them out, they have some really cool gear.

Shaneus

Yeah, that art's pretty damn slick! (Edit: Just looked at that site, there's some unique, sick stuff there! The "drains" zombie one is awesome as hell)

Have a big (for our area) comp this weekend, too. 12 machines:
The Wizard of Oz
The Walking Dead Pro
Legends of WrestleMania LE
Kiss Pro
CSI
The Lord of the Rings
Truck Stop
Gilligan's Island
Red & Ted's Road Show
Jack*Bot
Rollergames
Riverboat Gambler

It's a unique selection, that's for sure. If it hadn't been such a busy week for me, I would've gladly brought my RBION (or High Speed) but way too much of a hassle.
Any tips for the above games? I literally know nothing about any of them. At least, what to go for for big scores rather than just completing modes, especially LotR and CSI

And some more info:
Live standings, groupings and results will be online at http://matchplay.events/live/mmpc/
Create a free Match Play Events account using your IFPA-registered email address to access personalised up-to-the-minute tournament information.

Registration Saturday 10am-11am

Qualifying Saturday 11am-7pm

7 rounds of matchplay, in randomly assigned 4-player groups. Groups redrawn after each round. 2 games per round, with 7-4-2-0 scoring in each game (7-3-0 in any 3-player groups).
Top 16 qualify for finals.
If there is a tie for 16th, a single tiebreak game will be played on a randomly selected machine. Ties for other positions will be decided by opponent strength.

Finals Sunday 2pm-7pm
Follow along if you can!

It's a massive week for pinball here, too. Next Thursday is a monthly comp that they'll be drawing a year-long raffle to win a fully shopped TFTC, and that weekend is PAX Australia where we'll get to play GoT (amongst others)! Gonna be knackered come November :/

Yeah, that art's pretty damn slick! (Edit: Just looked at that site, there's some unique, sick stuff there! The "drains" zombie one is awesome as hell)

Have a big (for our area) comp this weekend, too. 12 machines:
The Wizard of Oz
The Walking Dead Pro
Legends of WrestleMania LE
Kiss Pro
CSI
The Lord of the Rings
Truck Stop
Gilligan's Island
Red & Ted's Road Show
Jack*Bot
Rollergames
Riverboat Gambler

It's a unique selection, that's for sure. If it hadn't been such a busy week for me, I would've gladly brought my RBION (or High Speed) but way too much of a hassle.
Any tips for the above games? I literally know nothing about any of them. At least, what to go for for big scores rather than just completing modes, especially LotR and CSI

And some more info:

Follow along if you can!

It's a massive week for pinball here, too. Next Thursday is a monthly comp that they'll be drawing a year-long raffle to win a fully shopped TFTC, and that weekend is PAX Australia where we'll get to play GoT (amongst others)! Gonna be knackered come November :/

The Wizard of Oz - Tought to say. It's plays so much like an EM. Use the early game to focus on the rollovers to get multiball. rescue is good but make sure you've locked the dorothy ball using the right orbit (don't know exactly what lights it.

The Walking Dead Pro - Use you first ball save to start the prison and then hit the left drop targets. I pick CDC for my first mode because it will stack with Bycyle Girl (5 walkers dead to light) so extra points and you can keep slamming the ramp.

Legends of WrestleMania LE - Pick the bonus multiplyer for the skill shot, the bonus will be key. If you hit the center stand up, it starts the next match and locks up potential multiballs so be careful.

Kiss Pro - Pick the song for the shot you can hit cleanly. Try to hit that inside lock target with the ball save because it's harder to hit.

CSI - Haven't played

The Lord of the Rings - Start Ents mode ASAP. You get mode shots and build to Return of the king MB (the souls)

Truck Stop - not played

Gilligan's Island - had not heard of before

Red & Ted's Road Show - I try to slam the center to advance the day at first, then the left ramp for MB and just try to keep it in play. Road Show is a tough game.

Jack*Bot - The left shot in the back just next to the ramp. Its start the dice at first and has a multiball after a few shots. I usually don't take the gamble shot to double points but if you can it's huge.

Rollergames - Don't remember well enough

Riverboat Gambler - Only played at one tourney a while ago. I only remember that is has a kind of racist song that plays lol

Shaneus

That's awesome! I have some experience on some of them, but majority I've rarely played. Thankfully I know the guy who's bringing Rollergames and he also has WoZ (the one appearing isn't his though).

Gonna look up some gameplay stuff as well, or I can just chill and tackle it on the fly as I go :) Excited!

That's awesome! I have some experience on some of them, but majority I've rarely played. Thankfully I know the guy who's bringing Rollergames and he also has WoZ (the one appearing isn't his though).

Gonna look up some gameplay stuff as well, or I can just chill and tackle it on the fly as I go :) Excited!

Yeah, see if you can find live plays on youtube. I never have luck looking up the actual rule sheets.
I will say that the code version is important.

On the Walking Dead, the old code would let you stack PRison and Well walker MB in a really unfair way. If you started prison, you could still get hits on the well walk and vise-versa, meaning if you started one you could start both easy. The new code will lock out the MB you don't start.

What you can stack is the Bloodbath (the left drop target/mode start) MB. There are three lights under the drop tagers and when you hit the first one, it makes the light it was on solid. When you hit all three it starts moving between the lights again. If you get all three lights lit, you can start BloodBath multiball and that stacks with other MB's It's important but I don't know if I'm describing it well enough. I'm not sure how you start the multikills (Indicated by a yellow light on the shot) but you want those bad. Big points and they add to horde multiball.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh shiiii...No Fear will finally get me back into TPA (it's so hard playing when you have real machines you regularly play -- don't know how you guys do it).

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Shaneus

So, copied this from Pinside, but it looks like there's been a leak on what we'll be seeing over the next few titles. Haven't embedded the image for those who want to keep it secret, but there's some very cool/interesting titles coming up!
http://i.imgur.com/i4va4IF.jpg

Somewhat spoiler: No sign of Rollergames :/

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, copied this from Pinside, but it looks like there's been a leak on what we'll be seeing over the next few titles. Haven't embedded the image for those who want to keep it secret, but there's some very cool/interesting titles coming up!

Also spoiler alert, no sign of Eight Ball Deluxe.

Another spoiler alert:
If the Playboy one is legit, which one is it? Bally, Data East, or Stern? And the Stern one had an option for nudity in the DMD and centerfold toy, but since the magazine is eliminating nudes next spring...

And yet another spoiler alert:
They say there's a soccer themed one, but don't say which. If it's World Cup Soccer... oh yes...

Vyse24

Another spoiler alert:
If the Playboy one is legit, which one is it? Bally, Data East, or Stern? And the Stern one had an option for nudity in the DMD and centerfold toy, but since the magazine is eliminating nudes next spring...

And yet another spoiler alert:
They say there's a soccer themed one, but don't say which. If it's World Cup Soccer... oh yes...

There's a table called A.G. Soccer, but it's a head-to-head game. If that's what they're going with, could it mean head-to-head online play is coming?

Also, it's listing Ghostbusters. Does that mean they're bringing that to the Steam edition?

Shaneus

Another spoiler alert:
I'm guessing it'll be the Bally one. I suspect the DE and Stern ones might be a bit too "graphic"? At least as far as sounds go, I guess.

There's a table called A.G. Soccer, but it's a head-to-head game. If that's what they're going with, could it mean head-to-head online play is coming?
Yeah, I suspect it's that... but I don't know how they'd port that? I'd have thought an easier soccer game for them to make (and find) would be Gottlieb's World Challenge Soccer. But the name indicates the Alvin G title... weird.

Also, it's listing Ghostbusters. Does that mean they're bringing that to the Steam edition?
I suspect that's always had some kind of listing in the PC version of the game, pretty sure I've seen it mentioned before. Don't think it means anything.

Edit: Aurich has posted on Pinside a very basic outline of how Alien Pinball will turn out. It sounds amazing:
Probably a little early to discuss the rules in depth. Things are still subject to change during play testing, or license approval of something that is a theme for the mode that maybe we have to tweak etc.
I'll give you the basic overview though, that should be safe enough. I don't see any of this changing, and I'm not going to discuss the mode themes.
At the start of the game you pick your film, Alien or Aliens. You're then locked into that film until you finish it. Each film has four main modes, and then a mini-wizard mode. Finishing that then opens up the film you didn't choose. So you can start with Alien, and then try and beat Aliens on the same game. All of the modes are based on parts of the stories. Each one will have video clips and lighting and sounds and rules to capture the feel of that part of the story. I think the pops randomize the next mode, you don't pick like in Stern Star Trek once you've picked your film.
I'm sure tournament players will have a preference or thing they've found an edge, they always do, but the goal is to keep the two modes balanced, score-wise, so there's no real reason to always pick the same one first if you don't want to.
The pace of the animations is going to be fast, the game will keep moving. No sitting there watching something play out for 20 seconds or anything. This isn't watching TV, it's playing pinball. I'm really thinking about the display like a high rez DMD. Show the score, show objectives, play cool animations to reward you for shots, and no sitting around.
There are also 4 multiballs that are outside of the modes, so you can play them with either story, and playing all 4 opens access to a multiball mini-wizard mode.
So basically there are 12 main goals, with 3 mini wizard modes. These are the 15 inserts fanning out from the flippers in the shot map. Depending on how hard that is and how it play tests etc it's certainly possible there could be a final wizard mode after all of those, but too soon to say. If there was I'd think it would be in a later update after we see how the game plays, adjust things, etc. In other words, no promise, just sounds like a good idea.
There are also things to play outside of the modes. The Chest Burster controlled drop target / magnet combo for instance, not a mode, can be played during either film path. The APC drop targets on the right are like an old school Bally, you have to hit them in order to get the better reward.
There are definitely a lot of cool combo shots. Again, play testing will need to confirm they all work and are fun, but so far the latest whitewood is proving to show that the ideas Dennis and Dave have had are sound.
If I can think of anything else I can reveal without going into places we shouldn't I will. Otherwise I'm happy to try and keep an eye on people speculating.
The approach I'm taking on Alien is really more about keeping the data we display really encapsulated and contextually relevant. Keep it in the spirit of a DMD, in how and what it displays, but with all the advantages of an HD display, for high resolution art, numbers and text, and of course video. And that means both in the backbox (small or big or not at all, your choice) but also the playfield. And it has to work for both.
Ever use a car with a windshield projected HUD? You can watch your speed or directions as if it's floating in the air in front of your car, without ever taking your eyes off the road.
That's the hope for the middle playfield screen. If it's designed right, then it should be a valuable place to see important information, that's contextually relevant. If you're in a mode, the status of the mode, and instructions, and the timer, and your score, things that are vital to the moment — are all within reach of your eyes whenever you need.
The status of the modes is done with inserts on the playfield. With full RGB lighting we can put as much info into there as we need to.
And when you get a jackpot or finish a mode or something, then sure, we can rock a full screen animation. But it should still be fast and punchy, so you can get back to the ball and the info you need.
I think some modern DMD games have gotten a little too overboard with some of the animations, only because they can often hide your score for too long. You don't see what's going on. But I like their brevity and singular focus.
But if you get the big back box screen option, that's similar to the JJP setup, and you want to provide eye candy for people watching. So you gotta keep it looking cool even when it's not in full on engaged multimedia mode.
So my hope is that we've found our own path with Alien. We can show your score all the time, and still have the proper level of overboard, but without turning into a game map, we still keep that on the playfield in the more traditional fashion.
I think that I've basically described the mindset of the Alien pin. It's got the spirit of the 90s in some ways. Lots of toys, 4 flippers, wide body machine. Modes that are laid out in front of you. But with modern thinking. So full color HD display, RGB lights, great sound system.
I think it's going to be crazy fun to shoot, and I have a lot of ideas for the lighting and animations, and so does our animator, Kelly, and our plan is to really design everything to help make the rules feel more fun. We want them to feel engaging, and clear in what you're supposed to do. I like pins that communicate to you so you can understand your shots. It makes them more fun to just step up and play. The rules can still be deep and interesting, but not a mystery as to how to play them.
That means that we need to be smart with our light shows, and make them work with the rules. Really can't wait to see the inserts in action in person the first time.
I want this game to be f—king amazing to play in a dark room, with the sound up.
(In case you weren't aware, Aurich is doing the art and DMD design for the game)

Well, once again I qualify huge and lose right away :p
I've been playing much better much doing worse in major tournaments so I'm not sure how I feel about that.

This is probably the best thing to come out of the weekend

12019899_10204700139209435_7403223231699840850_n.jpg
]

Game of Thrones came in yesterday so we all went to Dan's house and played it.

It looks great, sounds great and plays great but holy shit the rule set. It's about as deep as it gets. There are 3-4 different factors playing into each shot, based on shot build, mode, combo multiplyer and other factors. It's actually a little but much as people were just getting massive scores without even know what was going on.

Depending on player response, I think we may have a future classic.

Shaneus

Which edition was it? I'm seriously thinking that if I were to get a NIB Stern down the track, it'd be a GoT Pro. Which overtakes ST Pro as my choice.

Sucks about your results, too. But you're amongst some insane players, so you have a pretty good excuse ;) PS Mask looks solid, I'm all for people bringing a bit of fun into the serious business of competitive pinball. Maybe if I can think of something in time for this weekend where there'll be some GoT Pros, I will. But having never seen GoT (well, 2 episodes) I'm SoL.

It was a pro. Dan is putting the pro into the 1up for a month until the LE shows up. I think the pro is the only thing reaching owners right now which is tough because the LE has a whole upper playfield and having not really seen it, I interested in how that works.

The game is great I think. It's odd because EVERYTHING is a shot. I can't remember the last time I saw a game so packed full of shots...there isn't any space left. It's also tought because I saw lots of good players hitting every single stand up between the shots and not get what they are aiming at

Shaneus

It was a pro. Dan is putting the pro into the 1up for a month until the LE shows up. I think the pro is the only thing reaching owners right now which is tough because the LE has a whole upper playfield and having not really seen it, I interested in how that works.

The game is great I think. It's odd because EVERYTHING is a shot. I can't remember the last time I saw a game so packed full of shots...there isn't any space left. It's also tought because I saw lots of good players hitting every single stand up between the shots and not get what they are aiming at
Oh man, that's great to hear. I think I'd actually prefer the pro to the LE from what I've seen, it just looks awkward and takes up too much of the main playfield. It's odd that for a guy known for flow, he'd choose to cut off part of a potentially massive orbit shot to add a mini playfield (unless that orbit shot is still intact underneath it, of course). Almost hoping that upper playfield is as useless as the lower one on AC/DC.

Do the flippers have that really heavy, satisfying feel about them like on Kiss? I noticed the difference between Kiss and WWE, the flippers feel much more solid on the former. Very close to WMS flippers IMO.

Oh man, that's great to hear. I think I'd actually prefer the pro to the LE from what I've seen, it just looks awkward and takes up too much of the main playfield. It's odd that for a guy known for flow, he'd choose to cut off part of a potentially massive orbit shot to add a mini playfield (unless that orbit shot is still intact underneath it, of course). Almost hoping that upper playfield is as useless as the lower one on AC/DC.

Do the flippers have that really heavy, satisfying feel about them like on Kiss? I noticed the difference between Kiss and WWE, the flippers feel much more solid on the former. Very close to WMS flippers IMO.

They felt solid but maybe I'm judging that based on the power of the flippers. I didn't have any issues with shot power or catching or dead passes or anything.

Shaneus

They felt solid but maybe I'm judging that based on the power of the flippers. I didn't have any issues with shot power or catching or dead passes or anything.
Ah yeah, I don't have any issues with what you mention on any Stern at all, but there's somewhat of a different feel somehow with Kiss vs. all the other new machines (including WWE). Maybe they improved the flipper software with Spike and just applied it to that machine, or perhaps even updated the mechs themselves.

Get to play GoT Pro tomorrow at PAX Australia. And because I'll be getting there early to help out in the retro area, I should get a good go on them before most other people do. Yay!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Yikes--this might be the first season I don't buy. Really, really weak.

Not to mention that we're getting a soccer-themed pinball game and it's not WCS, which is sad.

Vyse24

The tournaments are separated by tiers. Top bronze players play in silver and top silver play in gold the following month. Bottom players in silver and gold get downgraded a tier as well.

Shaneus

Yikes--this might be the first season I don't buy. Really, really weak.

Not to mention that we're getting a soccer-themed pinball game and it's not WCS, which is sad.
You would pass on judge dread and no fear?
Yeah, I don't really follow you here. F-14, Getaway, No Fear, Judge Dredd are all solid titles. The soccer game is an odd one, we'll see what that turns out to be... the original Alvin G. Soccer/Football was head-to-head.

Edit: Oh, played a LOT of Game of Thrones Pro over the weekend at PAX Australia. Really, REALLY fucking love it. I somehow doubt that the LE will feel like it plays better. It's fast and furious as hell, had a blast every time I played it. Now almost thinking I'd get one, maybe not NIB but definitely eventually.

Code was shit though, was rebooting I'd say at least once an hour or two during the whole weekend, sometimes during qualifying sessions.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love No Fear and HS2, but never played Dredd. F-14 is meh.

-Gozer-

Apparently anyone who bought anything within the TPA app on Steam has no access to their purchases.

If I had known that the in app purchases weren't tied to a steam server I would have bought the season packs on the store page instead.

4af.gif

Apparently anyone who bought anything within the TPA app on Steam has no access to their purchases.

If I had known that the in app purchases weren't tied to a steam server I would have bought the season packs on the store page instead.

4af.gif

Eh? Any reason or just an odd glitch for the moment?

Shaneus

It seems that in app purchases are in fact tied to a Farsight server.

Even the leaderboards are down which would indicate a server problem on their end.
Yeah, I think they do this on all platforms... or at least, iOS and PC. It's how they can gift some tables to you without needing to give you a code to redeem. I got RBION gifted on iOS and didn't have to do anything, just login to my account. I think that's different to their in-app stuff on iOS as it's still done through the Apple store, but the Steam thing... yeah, strictly bought outside of the game (one time I had a season gifted, but that's it).

Shaneus

So I had this weird idea today. Was listening to some retro music on my iPhone today and the theme to Speedball 2 came on. My usual thought process when thinking about games is "would this make a cool machine" and obviously, given the game uses a metallic ball, I figured it would:
Fzmbrc7m.jpg

Then I started getting ideas... it's like soccer, so is there a need to design a machine from scratch or could something be re-themed? Came to the conclusion that WCS94 would be *perfect*. Even the rules wouldn't need to be changed all that much, just exchange the teams of the countries with the teams in the game like Raw Messiah and Super Nashwan. Replace the music and the art (obviously), the goalie can stay and maybe the big spinning ball could be a giant ice-cream (or just silver).

Just wanted to put this out there. So I have a note for when I win lotto and more money than I know what to do with.

Note: This post is probably only relevant to people who grew up in the 80s. Sorry, everyone else :(

Heading down to the Game of Thrones launch party in about a half hour.

I finally figured out the base rule set and got over a billion points which was not that tough.

I still need to know exactly how Wall Multiball and Hand of the King gets started.

I MUST win a translight! I have to replace John's Cena back-lit face on my wall, it's starting to freak me out.

Also Finally got the F-14 set up in the house. Trent was here for Pintober-fest but he didn't take it with him.

It's a great looking game with great sound and fun rules but it's such a flip and pray. Even the best players get tossed by this thing.

YAH! No More Cena!

South%20Aurora-20151113-00044_zpswfur8gmg.jpg

I didn't play great but I did win a trans-light so I'm happy.

edit: wow my phone makes that look bad. It's a blackberry with a shite camera. It's looks great

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Heading down to the Game of Thrones launch party in about a half hour.

I finally figured out the base rule set and got over a billion points which was not that tough.

I still need to know exactly how Wall Multiball and Hand of the King gets started.

I MUST win a translight! I have to replace John's Cena back-lit face on my wall, it's starting to freak me out.

Also Finally got the F-14 set up in the house. Trent was here for Pintober-fest but he didn't take it with him.

It's a great looking game with great sound and fun rules but it's such a flip and pray. Even the best players get tossed by this thing.

Congrats on the translite!

Also, I LOVE F-14. What a kick in the dick that game is, haha. Virtual version is far too forgiving!

Shaneus

Still my favourite F-14 video. Everyone just getting destroyed.

No news for me on the pinball front, but heard a mate won a very big pingolf comp in Sydney over the weekend. ~15hrs quali on Saturday and still won Sunday, taking home a trophy, probably a buttload of WOPR points and $1500AUD. Beat the best in the country!

It's gonna take me ages to crack the top 50 in Australia though, especially if people are travelling interstate to get points :(

Plinko

PS4 version of season 5 patch is up. Looks like Frankenstein, F-14, and High Speed 2 will hit later today.

Top Bottom