• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

pretty much. the 360 version plays the best, but looks worse than the PS3 version and doesn't have any DLC tables yet.

this talk of switching to 720p to get rid of the lag in the PS3 version is promising and yet saddening at the same time.

i really hope they don't bungle the PC version.

This!

Yes, the current PS3 version's lag is a great deal more tolerable once you force the system into 720p, which does force all apps and games to run at that max resolution until you switch it back. I didn't think I'd mind the lower res, but Pinball Arcade looks much better in 1080p. Since they say it's out of their hands due to the lighting, they should implement a software switch if possible, though all games should on PS3 since it's a somewhat common thing on the platform, it seems.

*crosses fingers that the X360 version doesn't get similarly screwed up with its upcoming lighting update*

OrangeOak

so apparently optional update (4 launch tables fixes and updated lighting) is out but it stops at 99% followed by an error message :(

also from Pinball Arcade facebook(posted today):

Brace for it 360 players - add-on packs 1 and 2 should be released today!

vg260

Yes, the current PS3 version's lag is a great deal more tolerable once you force the system into 720p, which does force all apps and games to run at that max resolution until you switch it back. I didn't think I'd mind the lower res, but Pinball Arcade looks much better in 1080p. Since they say it's out of their hands due to the lighting, they should implement a software switch if possible, though all games should on PS3 since it's a somewhat common thing on the platform, it seems.

*crosses fingers that the X360 version doesn't get similarly screwed up with its upcoming lighting update*

Gah. So they finally admitted it was due to their programming rather than imaginary as initially claimed. The 360 better not have the lag now. I didn't even realize it ran in 1080p native. (I bought it for the Vita version). Absurd if they can't fix it.

pretty much. the 360 version plays the best, but looks worse than the PS3 version and doesn't have any DLC tables yet.

this talk of switching to 720p to get rid of the lag in the PS3 version is promising and yet saddening at the same time.

i really hope they don't bungle the PC version.

Considering they were supposedly rejected by Valve to be on steam, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Welp, the lighting/in-game update cannnot finish downloading since it refuses to finish at the end. Also, no DLC tables on marketplace that I see so far. FarSight, what in the fuck is going on?

OrangeOak

Welp, the lighting/in-game update cannnot finish downloading since it refuses to finish at the end. Also, no DLC tables on marketplace that I see so far. FarSight, what in the fuck is going on?

Tables are showing in the game menus but they can't be purshased yet.
We are so close.
Optional update is dated for 2nd of august so it probably won't be available until then.

Tables are showing in the game menus but they can't be purshased yet.
We are so close.
Optional update is dated for 2nd of august so it probably won't be available until then.

Which menus? And after exactly four months of waiting for the first real content update and first DLC tables, which other platforms have had for months, they're going to let it sit there and tease XBLA players until two days from now? WTF? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. FarSight have really bungled this whole thing pretty badly since release, so I hope that this is the last of the major issues to be had.

OrangeOak

Which menus? And after exactly four months of waiting for the first real content update and first DLC tables, which other platforms have had for months, they're going to let it sit there and tease XBLA players until two days from now? WTF? Stupid.

I have them(and other people from pinballarcadefans site) in the table selection menus.They are there but all of them have music from Tales of the Arabian Nights so they are probably uploading.
and yes it is stupid and confusing.First there was an update screen without an update,now there is an update but it stops at 99% and then there are tables but you can't buy them.

Jon

We've waited this long, a few more days won't be too bad. Granted, this hasn't been the smoothest release ever, but hopefully after this first batch, things will smooth themselves out. I think having a more realistic launch schedule of 2 tables a month, with a title update every two months could benefit Farsight here.

tw1164

On the 360, I can't download the title update within the game. I think it's 80MB. It keeps failing. I got the mandatory update (I think it's 21MB).

Still can't get the update for the 4 original tables to download successfully on 360. The add-on packs seem to be available, but I'm not buying anything until I'm sure they've sorted stuff out.

Mollymauk

According to their FB the downloadable update for the original packs shouldn't be out until tomorrow, so that could be the issue. Not sure why you get the prompt for it early.

I snagged the new tables last night. :)

However, after the patch, and the failed update, the leaderboards weren't working for me. Hopefully that gets fixed when the update is available tomorrow. :p

Brashnir

I got the new tables, and played a couple games on each. They all seem fine and functional, but I did run into some weirdness with Funhouse when the game ended. The audio kept going, and the screen would sit there frozen for 10-15 seconds before finally bringing up the prompt you usually get right away. Restarting the game seemed to fix it.

As with others, I can't access leaderboards or download the optional update, but everything in-game seems OK other than that weird bug which may or may not be common/frequent.

Played all the new tables before and after the update successfully took and finished. Lighting is a little better on X360 versus the PS3 version and response time and overall speed are better than the PS3 versions, even when they are forced to run in 720p on that system. This is the version to own right now, if you want the best performance and visual quality. All the tables exhibit some new or tweaked ball and table behavior, but almost all of it is good and makes the game more challenging and realistic-feeling than before. Still, the introduction of more slightly frequent flipper sticks, and some weird issues here and there, like a current lack of leaderboards on X360, need to be addressed over time. Don't like that the plunger sensitivity seems to have been altered and now seems to match the PS3 version for finickiness when going for controlled ball launches for skillshots and such. Overall, worth it even if the lighting patch doesn't take yet for you.

vg260

Found them. The didn't show up as a new add-on release. They have a 5/18 and 5/21 release date listed on xbox.com. Not gonna help Farsight out.

Shaneus

Played all the new tables before and after the update successfully took and finished. Lighting is a little better on X360 versus the PS3 version and response time and overall speed are better than the PS3 versions, even when they are forced to run in 720p on that system. This is the version to own right now, if you want the best performance and visual quality. All the tables exhibit some new or tweaked ball and table behavior, but almost all of it is good and makes the game more challenging and realistic-feeling than before. Still, the introduction of more slightly frequent flipper sticks, and some weird issues here and there, like a current lack of leaderboards on X360, need to be addressed over time. Don't like that the plunger sensitivity seems to have been altered and now seems to match the PS3 version for finickiness when going for controlled ball launches for skillshots and such. Overall, worth it even if the lighting patch doesn't take yet for you.
This is good. I think I will double-dip on these, given that any semblance of a PC version might as well be decades away.

Found them. The didn't show up as a new add-on release. They have a 5/18 and 5/21 release date listed on xbox.com. Not gonna help Farsight out.
Wasn't the reason they held off on the initial release so they could be a featured app? Good to see that MS is helping them out by showing the dates of the initial submissions rather than the date of the most recent re-submission.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
From the new newsletter:

Table Pack #5 - Taxi™ will be featured in the next table pack! We will also be releasing another great Stern game that will get your motor runnin’…

Gotta be Harley Davidson.

Shaneus

From the new newsletter:

Gotta be Harley Davidson.
Oh fuck yes. Not so much about Harley (seriously, fuck Stern) but Taxi is amazing. Probably my favourite in WPC and I think my most wanted IRL machine. For some reason, I prefer the feel of the alpha-numeric tables over DMD ones.

Funnily enough, HD will be the second table I'm skipping out on, on top of Ripley's.

Brashnir

Oh fuck yes. Not so much about Harley (seriously, fuck Stern) but Taxi is amazing. Probably my favourite in WPC and I think my most wanted IRL machine. For some reason, I prefer the feel of the alpha-numeric tables over DMD ones.

Funnily enough, HD will be the second table I'm skipping out on, on top of Ripley's.

Taxi is definitely one of my favorites as well. I'm also more a fan of the 70s/80s/early 90s machines than the craziness that came out in later years. Some of those are fun too, but the machines in that era found a sweet spot between being too simple and too complex that was lost as the pinball arms race escalated.

AMUSIX

Taxi is an awesome addition...very welcome to the collection. I just don't know if I'll pay the extra dollar for H-D. The Harley table is just flat out boring, and you get sick of the soundtrack almost instantly.

Brashnir

Had some more weirdness with Funhouse on 360.

I had the game crap out on me after losing my final ball. It was still running and displaying the machine like it normally does between games, but it wouldn't let me start up a new game without going to the pause menu and exiting game, then re-selecting the table from the main menu. The camera-control buttons still worked, but there was no way to start the game.

On my second play, I ran into a bug after hitting multiball where the table went unresponsive for 15-20 seconds before finally releasing the balls for multiball. Everything seemed fine after that, but the long delay was definitely weird.

I still can't download the optional update, (the 88MB one), so it's possible that the update addresses these problems. Hope so, because these bugs -- while not game-breaking -- are definitely annoying and make me not want to play the table.

Shaneus

Taxi is definitely one of my favorites as well. I'm also more a fan of the 70s/80s/early 90s machines than the craziness that came out in later years. Some of those are fun too, but the machines in that era found a sweet spot between being too simple and too complex that was lost as the pinball arms race escalated.
I think it's that (my personal feeling, at least) with those games that had the more advanced sound yet more restrictive displays, designers etc. were forced to work within confines of having to pull you into the game solely with intricate sounds and lights (and pay more detail to the playfield itself, I think).
When the DMDs came along, it forced you to concentrate on two things (the playfield and the DMD) rather than just the playfield. It also sort of made you less a part of the machine and more a spectator of it, I guess.

Brashnir

I think it's that (my personal feeling, at least) with those games that had the more advanced sound yet more restrictive displays, designers etc. were forced to work within confines of having to pull you into the game solely with intricate sounds and lights (and pay more detail to the playfield itself, I think).
When the DMDs came along, it forced you to concentrate on two things (the playfield and the DMD) rather than just the playfield. It also sort of made you less a part of the machine and more a spectator of it, I guess.

I can't really disagree with any of this either. I've definitely lost balls in games because I was looking at whatever was going on on the DMD, when the game decided to release the ball before the animation was finished.

I've also completely missed important DMD prompts because I was paying attention to the playfield. It happens less the more you play and get used to a table, but I think it's definitely a hindrance to my overall enjoyment.

And there's nothing worse than having to stop playing a really good game of pinball to play some really terrible videogame on a DMD.

Now that it seems that they'll have most of the classic re-releases from PHoF bundled in with other new tables by end of year, I hope they start announcing new classic tables, like High Speed, Xenon, and Centaur. Need more 80s machines, damn it.

Minsc

Gold Member
PC update from the Newsletter confirms no release until end of year for the best case scenario... damn you FarSight! Still same situation as before, no publisher and no actual running game yet, all still very much WIP. They won't release it on the PC until it looks as good as consoles (but no hesitation on an inferior Mac port!), probably a smart decision, as it'd be torn apart by PC users if it lacked the lighting and other details in the console version. :( Oh well, at least I can catch up on a few of the tables on the 360 finally.

Also there's was pretty nice list of tables that we weren't supposed to be seeing in the game for a while due to the Williams System 11 emulation being incomplete, but with Taxi releasing, I guess that is no longer the case, unless it is scripted instead of emulated.

Shaneus

I can't really disagree with any of this either. I've definitely lost balls in games because I was looking at whatever was going on on the DMD, when the game decided to release the ball before the animation was finished.

I've also completely missed important DMD prompts because I was paying attention to the playfield. It happens less the more you play and get used to a table, but I think it's definitely a hindrance to my overall enjoyment.

And there's nothing worse than having to stop playing a really good game of pinball to play some really terrible videogame on a DMD.
Yup!

One thing I've actually noticed as well, is that older games consistently had better flow to them because things weren't halted for some DMD animation. I've always preferred Steve Ritchie's games to, say, Lawlor's who treated the playfield as more of a fairground (in his words) and you can see that, especially in Ripley's. Too much shit going on, not enough ball movement. At least Ritchie didn't seem to succumb to it as much... just look at T2.

Edit: Meant to ask, is it worth getting the new tables on 360 if I don't have it on PS3? I'm hanging out for PC but like I said (and they said in an email) it's fucking ages away yet, if at all. I just don't understand how it can be that difficult to get it as good looking as the consoles on a PC when that's probably the machine they developed the game on! I'm guessing it's more distribution than anything else.

Meant to ask, is it worth getting the new tables on 360 if I don't have it on PS3? I'm hanging out for PC but like I said (and they said in an email) it's fucking ages away yet, if at all. I just don't understand how it can be that difficult to get it as good looking as the consoles on a PC when that's probably the machine they developed the game on! I'm guessing it's more distribution than anything else.
You should, as they run and look better than the PS3 versions, especially for response time.

Very well, then. Looks like the 360 version has caught up for the most part and is OK to dive back into. I haven't played this for a while. Looking forward to trying some classic tables for the first time ever...

Damn! They only have 1 lame achievment for each new table for getting a high score. And the worst part is after you unlock them, they dont count towards your Gamerscore. WTF is going on with Farsight?

Wonko_C

What's the difference between the old lighting and new lighting? I don't see anything different in all the versions I've played (PS3, 360). Could someone point me to some comparison pictures?

What's the difference between the old lighting and new lighting? I don't see anything different in all the versions I've played (PS3, 360). Could someone point me to some comparison pictures?

The new lighting is more Dynamic. It looks more dim, so that the LED Lights on the table show up better. But to me the physics were better on PHOF Medieval Madness. But maybe i am just not adjusted properly yet. Farsight really botched it again with Achievments and Leaderboards!

surly

Banned
Damn! They only have 1 lame achievment for each new table for getting a high score. And the worst part is after you unlock them, they dont count towards your Gamerscore. WTF is going on with Farsight?
Yeah, I noticed that too. If you look on Xbox.com at your achievements, it only shows the original achievements for the game with a total of 200 gamerscore. I've unlocked all of the achievements on the new DLC tables, so that should be 60 gamerscore and 4 new achievements, but aside from the notifications popping up to say I unlocked them, they may as well not exist.

I've never bought such a half-baked downloadable game on a console. I'm only giving it a pass because I absolutely love pinball.

19Kilo

Tried setting my PS3 to 720p - sooo much better. Now if they can do the same for 1080p and release the new tables I will be happy.

Top Bottom