• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Man, I'll forgive everything but broken achievements. Even this!

t47SA.jpg

Are they really broken? Sniff, I don't even want to start the new tables now, and I just bought them. :( Fuck sake, Farsight!

Ocaso

What's the difference between the old lighting and new lighting? I don't see anything different in all the versions I've played (PS3, 360). Could someone point me to some comparison pictures?

The 360 and iOS versions look like they are brightly lit from above, while the lights from inside the machine only draw attention to themselves but don't seem to affect objects around them. On the PS3 the table appears to be dimly lit from above while the lights from the table itself affect the geometry within, illuminating walls and objects on the playfield.

Did they really update the 360 lighting? I noticed the displays now look like proper dot-matrix displays, but other even post-patch it still looks far inferior to the PS3 version.

Ocaso

The first patch didn't fix the lighting on the tables. The second 'update' to the original tables did. Have you got that yet?

Ah, I see. I take it that's only for those who purchased the game, right? I only have the demo on both machines. I've recently been on a pinball kick and downloaded both the PS3 and 360 versions to try out but haven't decided which to purchase yet, given that each has unique strengths and weaknesses.

Edit: So is the lighting on the 360 equivalent to that on the PS3 now, but minus flipper lag?

Man, I'll forgive everything but broken achievements. Even this!

t47SA.jpg

Are they really broken? Sniff, I don't even want to start the new tables now, and I just bought them. :( Fuck sake, Farsight!

Yes they are broken right now. It sucks for me because i already got one of them, and being in the new Fall Dashboard Beta is not letting me delete my Gamertag so that i can redownload it to reset the achievments. :(

Wonko_C

The 360 and iOS versions look like they are brightly lit from above, while the lights from inside the machine only draw attention to themselves but don't seem to affect objects around them. On the PS3 the table appears to be dimly lit from above while the lights from the table itself affect the geometry within, illuminating walls and objects on the playfield.

Did they really update the 360 lighting? I noticed the displays now look like proper dot-matrix displays, but other even post-patch it still looks far inferior to the PS3 version.

The table light effects still look too tame and not blinding compared to the real thing though (hopefully on a future update). I noticed something odd on the PS3 version: If you boot the game and play one of the DLC tables, then switch to one of the old tables, they will look a lot darker than normal, which is a problem for Black Hole as it is a dark table already. If you boot the game and go straight to the old tables their brightness level is normal.

jgkspsx

Spent time with Funhouse and Medieval Madness today.

Funhouse felt totally foreign to me, and I sucked; I'm pretty OK at it on the PHOF version.

Medieval Madness, on the other hand, felt if anything a bit easy - I hit 50M on my third try, which is good for me.

I will say that I'm not really keen on the realistic lighting. It was really nice to see everything. The dimness looks dingy. Arcades mostly were dingy, but at least let me have a choice.

Are all achievements broken or just the new ones? Some of the standard goals are hard-earned, so I am afraid of playing those tables if the old achievements are broken. The new ones are pretty easy as long as you can reset the local high score table...

Crownjo

Huh I was able to get the standard goals achievement from Ripley's Believe It or Not! after downloading the update.

Eh, screw it. I bought the new tables anyway. I never played Bride of Pinbot before, but while the audio is nice, scoring on that table is dumb. At least Medieval Madness will be good.

Edit: Ball physics on MM feel a lot different from in Pinball Hall of Fame. I think I'll adapt pretty quick.

Shaneus

Damn, looks like I might skip out on this. Appears that Farsight's history with bugs has made it's way onto the 360 in one form or another. So goddamn frustrating, I just wish they'd release the PC one so we have the opportunity to tinker with things for ourselves (even if it's unauthorised).

jgkspsx

The Funhouse demo mode bug happens to me almost every other time.

As much as I have defended them in the past, this is one of the most ridiculously buggy pieces of software I've ever paid money for. Oh well, still willing to throw money at them until somebody else can beat them at their own game.

The Funhouse demo mode bug happens to me almost every other time.

As much as I have defended them in the past, this is one of the most ridiculously buggy pieces of software I've ever paid money for. Oh well, still willing to throw money at them until somebody else can beat them at their own game.

For whatever it's worth, this has never happened to me on the full version.

My Funhouse ramps are purple.

I could've sworn that the big ball trapped on the playfield in Cirqus Voltaire changed colors from purple to green or even yellow. Maybe it was just the lighting.

For whatever it's worth, this has never happened to me on the full version.

I could've sworn that the big ball trapped on the playfield in Cirqus Voltaire changed colors from purple to green or even yellow. Maybe it was just the lighting.

How do you play the new table demos on 360? I only see the option to buy. This product is such a bag of broken, disorganized shit compared to FX2.

Achievements and leaderboards for the 360 version are fixed. Supposedly you need to recover your profile to get the achievements if you got them already.

Edit: I've got XBL #1 on Funhouse and Bride of Pinbot, come at me.

Achievements and leaderboards for the 360 version are fixed. Supposedly you need to recover your profile to get the achievements if you got them already.

Edit: I've got XBL #1 on Funhouse and Bride of Pinbot, come at me.

Congrats bro! Your skills never cease to amaze me! I had a solid 2 hour run on Ripley's the other day for a nice score, then i saw your high score. O_O

CloudTX

Neo Member
Does anyone know why exactly each dlc table only has 1 achievement on 360? The ios version has 4 achievements for each table which is what I was expecting to see once the update showed up. Is there some kind of Microsoft restriction or did they just decide for whatever reason not to do it?

Does anyone know why exactly each dlc table only has 1 achievement on 360? The ios version has 4 achievements for each table which is what I was expecting to see once the update showed up. Is there some kind of Microsoft restriction or did they just decide for whatever reason not to do it?

Microsoft Restriction to 8 achievements per quarter for them. Though, they mentioned the achievement will change from the high score one to beating Wizard Goals in the future, possibly at Table Pack 3 or 4, if not 5 for sure.

jgkspsx

Says the guy who's #1 worldwide on two tables.

For one thing, the goals you complete before you've completed the standard goals don't count as unlocked. At least they didn't in the Pinball Hall of Fame series. I've played Tales for hours and hours in PHOF 360 and never got Harem Multiball.

There was a glitch in PHoF that made Harem Multiball much harder to get than it was supposed to be. Fortunately that glitch is fixed in the Pinball Arcade version. And yeah, you have to get wizard goals on a separate game from when you got standard goals. I don't mind playing a machine multiple times, but that feature does bother some people.

jgkspsx

It's just that it takes me many hours to achieve some of the goals. (Still less than halfway on standard goals in Black Hole.) If I have a wonderful game and unlock most of the wizard goals after completing the last standard goal, it's really galling to see that my success didn't count and that I have to have another one in a thousand game.

I'm fine with there being some achievements for wizard goals. I'm just not OK with all of the future achievements being "complete all wizard goals." I don't stand a chance at unlocking more than one of those ever. (Currently I stand at zero across three copies of Gottlieb, three copies of Williams, and one copy of The Pinball Arcade over probably a hundred hours of gameplay.) At which point part of the reason for achievements disappears. I don't understand why they don't do a rotation - top 5 one table, standard goals one table, wizard goal one table, and so on.

I believe from watching other people play (and comparing my high scores to others online) that I'm an average pinball player - maybe even slightly above average. Not because I'm any good - I stink compared to you top 100 types - but just because most people stink much more.

EDIT: THANK GOD. Finally got Harem Multiball. Knocked off all the Theater of Magic standard goals too. Black Hole is now the only one left... I don't know if I will ever be able to do it, though.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there an easy way to reach the lanes in the upper right on Theatre of Magic (the ones you need to increase your bonus multiplier)? Most of the time the ball just does the whole loop. Is it just a matter of lowering the speed of the ball? I really have a hard time hitting those.

So when is the DLC coming to EU/AU PSN?

First two DLC packs are supposed to come out later this month.

Is there an easy way to reach the lanes in the upper right on Theatre of Magic (the ones you need to increase your bonus multiplier)? Most of the time the ball just does the whole loop. Is it just a matter of lowering the speed of the ball? I really have a hard time hitting those.

I think I used to have a way to do it, but I can't remember. It may have involved nudging the table while the ball is in the loop?

Phreak47

Got 3.1 billion on Bride of PinBot, which put me at the #30 spot on XBL. I am content.

It sucks that you can't get over 10 billion on this if you are on a console. I have 9.8 billion which has me at #8 on the leaderboard (haven't been there in a while, don't know if I've been bumped)... and mobile users own the top 5 because they can register scores over 10b.

It sucks that you can't get over 10 billion on this if you are on a console. I have 9.8 billion which has me at #8 on the leaderboard (haven't been there in a while, don't know if I've been bumped)... and mobile users own the top 5 because they can register scores over 10b.

You can go over 10 billion in the 360 version of Bride of Pinbot, sort of. The score saved to your local high score table will roll back around to zero, but the leaderboards still save your actual score.

Preview pack #3 for 360 is up (Gorgar & Monster Bash):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unMzOfo1NKg&feature=player_embedded

Can't wait!
Both of those tables kick ass.

jgkspsx

I AM GORGAR

Honestly, even though I've bought the "old" tables a bunch of times before, I don't mind buying them again. Call me a sucker. I love all the old tables so far.

Odrion

Banned
Monster Bash is really neat, but it can go on for WAY too long. You can basically have multiball whenever you want it.

microtubule

I AM GORGAR

Honestly, even though I've bought the "old" tables a bunch of times before, I don't mind buying them again. Call me a sucker. I love all the old tables so far.

Yes same here. I am glad the game isn't out on PC yet or I would buy it there as well.

Anyways, guys on Pinball Arcade forums seem to think the #3 DLC pack for 360 will hit on August 14th.....hoping so!

Is the only achievements on the xbox360 version of the game for the DLC tables for getting a top 5 high score?
The original tables had achievements for getting the basic and wizard goals for example.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
At least you're getting achievements on the 360 dlc. Farsight chose not to include trophies for the Vita version (and on PS3 from what I hear).

Minsc

Gold Member
If there are plans to patch later, I sure as hell haven't heard of it. I just don't have any confidence in Farsight.

This post on pinballarcadefans forum is a good source of information for those who don't like going through TPA's facebook on a regular basis (and really, who does). The devs post there and confirm stuff once and a while as well. As you can see, trophies are planned for the DLC towards the end of the month, but you never can be sure.

I agree Farsight's a mixed bag, especially at first. Things get better as the DLC packs continue to roll out, and things are patched. It's rough, but by the time DLC pack 7 or 8 hits consoles, and there's around 20 tables, and most things are working as intended, hopefully we'll be through the worst of it.

Top Bottom