• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

This post on pinballarcadefans forum is a good source of information for those who don't like going through TPA's facebook on a regular basis (and really, who does). The devs post there and confirm stuff once and a while as well. As you can see, trophies are planned for the DLC towards the end of the month, but you never can be sure.

I agree Farsight's a mixed bag, especially at first. Things get better as the DLC packs continue to roll out, and things are patched. It's rough, but by the time DLC pack 7 or 8 hits consoles, and there's around 20 tables, and most things are working as intended, hopefully we'll be through the worst of it.

Thanks for the link! Lots of good info there.

I'm starting to get back into a groove for Medieval Madness, although I'm still not as consistent with ramp shots as I was in PHoF. I might need a different camera angle. Also, trapping and ball control works very different in this version, but I'm pretty used to it now.

Oh, and Joust and Catapult shots are easier in this version, so that balances things out a bit.

I'm starting to get back into a groove for Medieval Madness, although I'm still not as consistent with ramp shots as I was in PHoF. I might need a different camera angle. Also, trapping and ball control works very different in this version, but I'm pretty used to it now.

Oh, and Joust and Catapult shots are easier in this version, so that balances things out a bit.

I noticed that after my first couple games, but i am still having trouble trapping in the left flipper.

Clydebink

Neo Member
250000 on the lower playfield. I am really lucky to get 1/10th that. I can never keep either of the multipliers lit, much less both.

The way I go about it is activating the accelerator by taking care of all the "black" drop-targets then locking a ball in the upper playfield. Once that's done, I send a ball into the lower field to lock it, usually finishing off the "hole" drop-targets as I'm trying. It's important to not activate both the accelerators before you are ready to lock the second ball because you will lose them if you lose your ball. Once locked, I send another ball into the lower field and just concentrate on keeping both balls down there as long as possible. If I lose one to the upper field, I try to trap the lower field ball and concentrate on getting the other two into the lower field.
When you have a multi-ball and 2 accelerators activated, the lower field just starts throwing points at you. I end up with a lot of extra balls this way too (after you send the ball up the left orbit once you have lost you other 2.) It's hard, but what a pay-off.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This post on pinballarcadefans forum is a good source of information for those who don't like going through TPA's facebook on a regular basis (and really, who does). The devs post there and confirm stuff once and a while as well. As you can see, trophies are planned for the DLC towards the end of the month, but you never can be sure.

I agree Farsight's a mixed bag, especially at first. Things get better as the DLC packs continue to roll out, and things are patched. It's rough, but by the time DLC pack 7 or 8 hits consoles, and there's around 20 tables, and most things are working as intended, hopefully we'll be through the worst of it.

I would kill - and pay significant cash monies - to someday have Farsight create a virtual arcade to place machines in on the scale that Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams collection had.

jgkspsx

Thanks! The upside down thing trips me up generally. I've gotten to the point where I deal with it... but not very well.

Odrion

Banned
I would kill - and pay significant cash monies - to someday have Farsight create a virtual arcade to place machines in on the scale that Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams collection had.
I would kill for a more compentant company to do a better job.

Thanks! The upside down thing trips me up generally. I've gotten to the point where I deal with it... but not very well.

With some careful nudging, you can trap the ball on the right flipper down there. That'll make your life a lot easier. Also light the thing that gives you triple points if you can.

Edit: It had been a long time since I played this table so I forgot, but you can trap on either side. Make use of it!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I would kill for a more compentant company to do a better job.

Half the problems Farsight has experienced seem to stem from the console makers' increasingly retarded certification hurdles and queues. They're not blameless, but the bitterness directed at them is a bit oversold imo.

Shaneus

Well, I vowed I'd never give them any more money until shit was finally sorted or they announced a hard date for the PC release. But then I fired up the 360 version just to see what their updates brought.

Then I bought both the packs :(

jgkspsx

With some careful nudging, you can trap the ball on the right flipper down there. That'll make your life a lot easier. Also light the thing that gives you triple points if you can.

Edit: It had been a long time since I played this table so I forgot, but you can trap on either side. Make use of it!
I do, but still not getting enough points. I guess practice is the only thing that will help.

Brashnir

Half the problems Farsight has experienced seem to stem from the console makers' increasingly retarded certification hurdles and queues. They're not blameless, but the bitterness directed at them is a bit oversold imo.

Even after they get through the approval process, the things are still a fucking mess. It's not the console manufacturer's jobs to create a functioning product.

J0dy77

Anyone know when Attack from Mars is coming? The original rumor was the august update, want that table so bad. These last few packs have been sub-par to me (still bought them, but sub-par none the less).

Jucksalbe

Banned
Anyone know when Attack from Mars is coming?

It's not in the next pack, so it might still be a while. Looking forward to that one as well (but on the other hand my version didn't get any DLC whatsoever so far, so I'll probably have to wait a lot longer).

Shaneus

I remember playing AFM and thinking it was *identical* to Medieval Madness. We should want some good, different tables, people! IMO Medieval, Monster Bash, CFTBL and AFM are all too similar in design to hold my interest. Hit target multiple times/get loop/hit jets, earn "madness", hit other target until all are lit, shoot for particular ramp, cue multiball.

Not that none of those aren't great in their own right, but there are many others that could be used that aren't necessarily unattainable due to licensing rights. Fish Tales (for example) was *massive* but we haven't heard a peep about it :(

and yeah, now i'm back playing on 360 and bought both the packs too. i really hope the HDR lighting update doesn't fuck up the 360 version's playability. it needs to be an option if so. i want 1080p, 60 fps, with no lag as i have right now.

just got back from vacation. finally got to play some real tables when i was away. Fish Tales, Revenge From Mars (wonder when we'll ever see a video pinball version of a Pin 2000 table) and Iron Man. Iron Man was pretty damn awesome. glad to see the more recent Stern tables are a good product.

Ocaso

Sorry if this was already answered, but I searched and couldn't find a response. Does the new Xbox 360 lighting on the old tables put them on par with the PS3 version, or are there still differences between them? I still can't figure out which one of the two versions is the best purchase. Also, does one need Xbox Live Gold for leaderboard access or is this a silver available feature as well?

Sorry if this was already answered, but I searched and couldn't find a response. Does the new Xbox 360 lighting on the old tables put them on par with the PS3 version, or are there still differences between them? I still can't figure out which one of the two versions is the best purchase. Also, does one need Xbox Live Gold for leaderboard access or is this a silver available feature as well?

Hopefully someone who has both versions can confirm, but I've heard the 360 version controls better due to lag in the PS3 version.

Glix

Nah. Being a Vita owner I feel really fucked by some of their moves so far. They are constantly releasing new stuff without fixing old stuff. It has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dude. New thread.

It's just Pro Pinball coming to iOS... most likely. Not that that's not great news, but it never had too much attention from going on GOG. Definitely great games, have them all retail and rebought them on GOG because for whatever reason they gave me a lot of trouble getting good framerates retail, and they're just a lot of fun.

Daigoro

wait there's two packs out on 360 now? what else came out?

how are things bugwise now? i need to catch up. (going to check the op)

edit: i only see Bride of Pinbot and MM. anything else come out after that?

well OP isnt updated, but that link Minsc provided is. will have to check out Funhouse and Circus Voltaire.

Monster Bash and Gorgar look sweet. looking forward to them coming out.

Shaneus

It's just Pro Pinball coming to iOS... most likely. Not that that's not great news, but it never had too much attention from going on GOG. Definitely great games, have them all retail and rebought them on GOG because for whatever reason they gave me a lot of trouble getting good framerates retail, and they're just a lot of fun.
Yeah, I figure it's probably not quite worth it until an official announcement is made.

I'd like to imagine they're planning a full re-rendering of assets at stupidly high-res and bringing them to PC as well, but you never can tell.

If you like, I actually managed to get Big Race running at the proper aspect ratio on my widescreen LCD with an app that runs older DirectX stuff in a window rather than full screen. Can get you more info if you like... might come in handy for other older Windows-based GOG titles.

Shaneus

Pretty sure there isn't, but trust me... they're totally worth it. Even the tables I'm not a massive fan of (like Funhouse) are worlds apart from their iOS cousins.

Is there a way to play demos of the new tables on 360?

nope. you can't even hear their music before buying them. i'm glad i have the PS3 version of this even if i stop buying new tables for it, because at least i can demo them on the PS3 version before buying them on 360. presuming they aren't must owns for me like Creature, which will be the first table added to this that I'm pretty familiar with in the real world.

Shaneus

Pretty sure it's more a 360 restriction than an FS issue. From what I understand, it's pretty much impossible to demo DLC for *any* title.

I've only played a handful of games of Cirqus on 360 and I've already had a bunch of dumb glitches. Yesterday I was in Unmask Voltaire mode, and after shooting the ramp, the DMD said to shoot the ringmaster, but I hit him a good ten times or so without any of the hits registering. I had to drain the ball and start a new ball before any hits on the ringmaster would count. Now I've got a game going where I finished the backglass mode, but the camera never returned to the normal playfield afterwards, so now I'm playing blind.

Edit: Aaand now there's two balls at the plunger that it keeps trying to launch.

so, just to clarify a couple of things about Cirqus Voltaire on the 360. the changing managerie ball and neon tube on the right hand ramp is not a glitch. the real tables featured a variety of colours for these parts and the game picks from them on loading. if you keep quiting back to the table select and going in you'll see these things change colours. pretty cool. i prefer the ramp on the right to be neon blue, it's much more impressive looking with the new lighting when it starts flashing!

secondly, is anyone else seeing a horizontal tear right in the middle of the LED screen in Cirqus Voltaire? it annoys me fiercely. i'm presuming original tables did not feature this tear.

Top Bottom