• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

so, just to clarify a couple of things about Cirqus Voltaire on the 360. the changing managerie ball and neon tube on the right hand ramp is not a glitch. the real tables featured a variety of colours for these parts and the game picks from them on loading. if you keep quiting back to the table select and going in you'll see these things change colours. pretty cool. i prefer the ramp on the right to be neon blue, it's much more impressive looking with the new lighting when it starts flashing!

secondly, is anyone else seeing a horizontal tear right in the middle of the LED screen in Cirqus Voltaire? it annoys me fiercely. i'm presuming original tables did not feature this tear.
Right on both counts, I think. At least the latter point, I mentioned it on the PAF forum and someone else noticed the same thing. Maybe the DMD is running at a different framerate to the actual table and because it's on the same "plane" (ie it isn't an overlay) as the table, it's harder to sync up or something?

Right on both counts, I think. At least the latter point, I mentioned it on the PAF forum and someone else noticed the same thing. Maybe the DMD is running at a different framerate to the actual table and because it's on the same "plane" (ie it isn't an overlay) as the table, it's harder to sync up or something?
dunno. if it was at a different frame rate i'd expect the tear to move around rather than being locked in the middle. hope it's fixable anyway. i'm just going to fire up the PS3 version to see if it has the same problem.

edit: yeah, PS3 table does not have this problem. *sigh*.

Shaneus

Ah shit, not on PS3? Bugger.

At least it's not game-breaking. I can somewhat deal with it when it looks so damn good! But CV is probably my least-favourite DMD game on PA right now, so it's not a massive loss for me at the moment ;)

more Voltaire glitches just seen on the PS3 version. again not sure if they're glitches that happen on real tables or not. i also got fed two balls into the launch lane at one point and it registered a ball as locked that had rolled back down the ramp. wasn't able to get multiball going to see what would have happened.

Is there an easy way to reach the lanes in the upper right on Theatre of Magic (the ones you need to increase your bonus multiplier)? Most of the time the ball just does the whole loop. Is it just a matter of lowering the speed of the ball? I really have a hard time hitting those.

I remember how to do this now. Start multiball and then keep sending balls up both orbits. You'll be at 8x in no time.

Shaneus

Time to relearn Theater of Magic.

Edit: There we go. Xbox top 10 on every table.
You're a bastard.

Also: Warning to iOS users. When the last app update was rolled out, there was also an updated MM table that fixes the flipper gap, but because it was given the same name as the current version, it would only be downloaded if you removed the app or hadn't downloaded it previously.

Problem is, there are NO playfield lights at all on it. So just make sure you don't remove/readd the app because when you reinstall it, it'll install the bugged table. Luckily, I backed mine up to test it based on someones experience on PAF and yeah, it's definitely screwed.

Shaneus

For 360? Sweet! That's a day earlier than most XBL stuff too, afaik.

I wonder if any other tables received an update... no idea how their update process works on anything other than iOS.

Baron

Problem is, there are NO playfield lights at all on it. So just make sure you don't remove/readd the app because when you reinstall it, it'll install the bugged table. Luckily, I backed mine up to test it based on someones experience on PAF and yeah, it's definitely screwed.

How...how does this kind of bug get past them? iOS devices are closed systems, these aren't PCs with 10,000 different configurations they have to account for. There's like, 10 devices.

I don't know why I'm so incredulous - nothing should faze me about Farsight's "abilities" at this point.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Managed to resuce the princess on TOTAN for the first time ever today and to complete the wizard goals for that table and to get my first score over 100 million. Feels good. :)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Managed to resuce the princess on TOTAN for the first time ever today and to complete the wizard goals for that table and to get my first score over 100 million. Feels good. :)
*grumble grumble*

I've gotten to the battle so many times, but couldn't finish him off. :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
I've gotten to the battle so many times, but couldn't finish him off. :(

Somehow I always missed the message about having unlimited balls and never used all four balls before. Once I did that it was actually very easy, or maybe I just got really lucky.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Somehow I always missed the message about having unlimited balls and never used all four balls before. Once I did that it was actually very easy, or maybe I just got really lucky.
Yeah, I know about the balls but I'm just terrible. It's ok ... I really enjoy the game. I've been on vacation from playing that while I bask in the glory of Medieval Madness. :)

meppi

Very nice!
Didn't think we'll get it so quickly.
Good to see them starting to get into the groove for XBLA releases.
I know a lot of people seem very down on them, but for me personally they are near perfect.
Sure there might be a little glitch here or there, but when you look into just how accurate everything is and how every table feels, I find it hard to get hung up on insignificant stuff like that that will be patched out eventually.

microtubule

Very nice!
Didn't think we'll get it so quickly.
Good to see them starting to get into the groove for XBLA releases.
I know a lot of people seem very down on them, but for me personally they are near perfect.
Sure there might be a little glitch here or there, but when you look into just how accurate everything is and how every table feels, I find it hard to get hung up on insignificant stuff like that that will be patched out eventually.

In terms of the XBLA release I really hope sales start picking up now that there are more tables available for purchase. To me this is the most important thing; to have a steady flow of DLC tables. The update for launch tables was important as well and hopefully there will be more to fix any glitches that are still present.

FStop7

Banned
I got to play a real Creature From the Black Lagoon machine at California Extreme. They had Theater of Magic but I didn't try it. Creature is amazing. Pinball Arcade does a really good job at capturing the charm of these tables.

jgkspsx

Oh brother. Well, I got it and unlocked the achievement, so that seems to be working... or is it? Oh God, do I have to restore my profile again?!?!

EDIT: God damn it.

Shaneus

Patch up for iOS but all it says is "bug fixes". No tables re-downloaded.
That doesn't mean anything anymore. If you delete the app (don't! You'll lose your high scores and cheevos) or delete the tables via iExplorer or iFunBox, some of the tables will actually be updated. Since the last update (when CFTBL came out) there's been two revisions of MM, possibly others of other tables too. The second-to-last didn't have any table lights working at all, but had the flipper gap fixed. The most recent one (best I can tell, came out when the bug fix update did) fixed that, seems to be the best iteration so far.

I think Bride of Pinbot and Gorgar have also received "invisible" updates, too.

PopfulMail

Oh brother. Well, I got it and unlocked the achievement, so that seems to be working... or is it? Oh God, do I have to restore my profile again?!?!

EDIT: God damn it.

So yeah.. what is the deal with this? I got the achievement notifications but noticed my GS didn't change.

Regardless... I'm absolutely loving Monster Bash! Really looking forward to Creature next...

i didn't get home in time before they pulled it. hopefully it will be back (and fixed) soon. and hopefully pack 4 won't have a scoring bug in it that gets it pulled.

even though it will :(

Daigoro

this game is really good, but it's also a complete clusterfuck. it's a shame they fucked this up so bad.

how's DLC 2 for 360 working at this point, and is it worth it?

microtubule

this game is really good, but it's also a complete clusterfuck. it's a shame they fucked this up so bad.

how's DLC 2 for 360 working at this point, and is it worth it?

I know, what a mess. It's a shame because the game and the tables are really good.

Regarding DLC pack #2 I've only played Funhouse and loved it.

I think I might've. Should I have not done that?

The achievements don't exist on xbox.com yet, so no points have been added to your gamerscore. Once the achievements are up, if you already earned them you'll need to recover your profile and then earn them again to get the points added. Not a big deal IMO.

I think I might've. Should I have not done that?
Since the achievements don't exist on xbox.com.au, it means that your score has not been increased and you haven't really achieved them.

It's probably best to recover your profile so that once it has been added on Microsoft's end, you will be able to get them. Otherwise, you have them on your local profile but won't get the credit for them from Microsoft's perspective.

That does mean, however, that you can't really play them until then, lest you get the achievements again. It's up to you, buddy. I recovered mine, but mainly because I'm a partial achievement whore, in that if I get it, I'd like to at least have the credit for it.

From the Pinball Arcade Facebook page:

"This morning, we heard from Microsoft that they mistakenly release the content before its official release date. We are now scheduled to be (re)released on August 28th.

We are going to need your help, Microsoft has told us that there are no promotions (store placement, etc) available to us regardless of when we released this content. If you like our game, please help us spread the word on XBLA and XBLA forums."

jgkspsx

Good Lord, I have to wait until August 28 to retry the achievements? I'm afraid of filling up the local leaderboards with scores I can't really replicate. Can you clear the local leaderboard?

Shaneus

Fuck cheevos and points. As long as the high score table works, I'm fine.

And if not, well, I'll take a photo of my score. No biggie. Any idea of how many people managed to get away with buying it? And if it was actually released early and there aren't any complaints, then why would they release it a week later? Just because they can?

Fuck cheevos and points. As long as the high score table works, I'm fine.

And if not, well, I'll take a photo of my score. No biggie. Any idea of how many people managed to get away with buying it? And if it was actually released early and there aren't any complaints, then why would they release it a week later? Just because they can?
Get your camera. I'm pretty sure high scores/leaderboards aren't working.

I assume it got pulled because Microsoft need to ensure certain infrastructure is ready for the game, which it wasn't.

PopfulMail

I put the new tables in my que the morning it was put up. Wasn't able to get to the 360 until late evening after they had pulled the tables and the download still went through. Luckily I'm not that great so I'm not worried about losing high scores n such.. shouldn't be a bother to earn the achievements again once it's back up.

Top Bottom