• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Was getting re-used to Funhouse just now, a game I haven't played in a very long time. Remembering it pretty quickly, easy to trap the balls, ramps are relatively wide and easy to hit. Scores are ramping up, 10m, 20m, last game took maybe 30 minutes, 56m, about #330 on XBL. Not bad. I check out the top of the leaderboard and there's our Parallax Scroll with over 770 million. Looked like about 200m more than #2. You are a legend. Have you recorded any videos of you playing? Would love to see that.

i just landed right about the same spot on the leaderboards as you. that game gives out extra balls like candy. says here you got 53 million though... i'm about 750,000 points ahead of you. GUANTLET THROWN UNLESS THE LEADERBOARDS JUST HAVEN'T UPDATED WITH YOUR 56 MILL SCORE IN WHICH CASE THE GUANTLET FLIES BACK AND HITS ME IN THE FACE.

Benedict

Any date yet, when they will start to release the table packs for PS3/Vita in EU?
Will they release all at once or start with table pack one and then give once a month or so?

SkylineRKR

If anything I want them to get a nice variety of themes and years, not all new stuff, not all old stuff...a mix would be the best, especially for "keeping it real"...a lot of the older tables actually feel faster and more out of control than newer games IMO

I was playing this obscure one called Motordome that my cousin bought, it is cheezy but having some sort of sports/racing one would be interesting - the most popular one must be No Fear?

No Fear is certainly the one table i'm waiting for. My local cafetaria eventually got hold of it, as a replacement for Temple of Doom. I became rather good at NF, its fast as hell.

Benedict

Can't understand how Farsight continues to mistreat their European PSN customers.
Not a single word about what happens with the table packs. We still haven't recieved a single one...
They are not capable or professional enough it seems to release their products on multiple platforms.
LLShC.gif

Remy

Can't understand how Farsight continues to mistreat their European PSN customers.
Not a single word about what happens with the table packs. We still haven't recieved a single one...
They are not capable or professional enough it seems to release their products on multiple platforms.
LLShC.gif

A single word? This was in their newsletter at the beginning of the month:

All four add-on packs will be submitted shortly. The SCEE add-on packs are scheduled to be submitted at the earliest date available to get into test at Sony Europe. We hope to get all add-on packs available world-wide within a couple months.

I just noticed that 12 people on my friends list on xbox bought the original 4 pack of tables but only 3 have bought any of the DLC tables so far. That doesn't bode well for maintaining customers for the future of the Pinball Arcade as a platform (at least on xbox360)

microtubule

I just noticed that 12 people on my friends list on xbox bought the original 4 pack of tables but only 3 have bought any of the DLC tables so far. That doesn't bode well for maintaining customers for the future of the Pinball Arcade as a platform (at least on xbox360)

That's sad. Is it because Farsight is too small a team and just too ambitious in terms of supporting lots of different release platforms?

Jeez. Is it safe to purchase and download the tables now then? I may just wait until everything is up and running to bother grabbing them.
They are really having problems pushing the content out :(

Yeah i read that the achievments are working. I guess the Leaderboards come from Microsoft's end of things.

The next title update for 360 should be coming in October. It'll fix the scoring bug in Monster Bash and the Gorgar sound issue. They might also reset the Monster Bash leaderboard at that time.

i just got the achievement for Gorgar... so cheevos seem to be working just fine.

Gorgar is EVIL though. drains like a son of a bitch. i kinda love it.

The achievements don't exist yet on xbox.com, so your Live account doesn't have the achievement or the gamerscore for it. Once it's up you'll need to recover your profile and earn the achievement again for it to count.

The achievements don't exist yet on xbox.com, so your Live account doesn't have the achievement or the gamerscore for it. Once it's up you'll need to recover your profile and earn the achievement again for it to count.

gotcha. i presumed if it showed it awarding me it was in there. no biggie, i don't really care about cheevos :).

just had my first go on monster bash after dragging myself away from gorgar. hit 273,626,500 on my first go. and unlocked the wizard goals. it's amazing how much of a difference playing this on my desk via component makes vs playing it via hdmi or on my 3dtv. i'm guessing a get a lot less latency that way.

edit: new high score of 519,110,620! i got to Monsters of Rock multiball. seems a bit too easy in a way. so many of the other tables i've never reached the wizard modes.

edit 2: beat the wizard goals on Gorgar. i'm really starting to get a sense for the safe shots and once you get the 1-2-3-4 specials going it's not insanely hard to get extra balls. my record so far is 635,860. i'm sure parallax will shame all of these scores in no time.

Nice score! I'll go in on Gorgar once the leaderboards are up. I used to play it in Pinball Hall of Fame, but specials awarding extra balls in this version is a pretty big change.

I don't plan on playing Monster Bash until it's patched.

Shaneus

My GT is "Shaneus". I own all the DLC!

VALIS

i just landed right about the same spot on the leaderboards as you. that game gives out extra balls like candy. says here you got 53 million though... i'm about 750,000 points ahead of you. GUANTLET THROWN UNLESS THE LEADERBOARDS JUST HAVEN'T UPDATED WITH YOUR 56 MILL SCORE IN WHICH CASE THE GUANTLET FLIES BACK AND HITS ME IN THE FACE.

Ooo! Too bad the leaderboards are down at the moment, or I'd have a mission for tonight. I just sent you a friend request. I need more pinball people on my friends list, anyone in this thread please add me: VALIS666

My GT is "Shaneus". I own all the DLC!

Tried to send you a request, your list is full.

edit 2: beat the wizard goals on Gorgar. i'm really starting to get a sense for the safe shots and once you get the 1-2-3-4 specials going it's not insanely hard to get extra balls. my record so far is 635,860. i'm sure parallax will shame all of these scores in no time.

I looove Gorgar. It's so frustrating reading the Farsight/PA forum or other video pinball forums and seeing so many opinions like "Who wants this old crap?! Give me <some table from the last 15 years>!" I mean, are games like Cyclone and High Speed "too boring" for younger players, too? I'm hoping they make their way to PA some day.

Shaneus

Tried to send you a request, your list is full.
Shit, seriously? I don't think I've *ever* had that problem before. I'll try and clear it up now (via the iOS mobile app) otherwise I'll do it when I get home tonight.

Edit: Okay, I've cleared up a few. But it still doesn't feel like I have that many people as friends in XBL/GFWL. Maybe the limit's been reduced or something.

jgkspsx

I am really looking forward to pack 4. Never played Creature, Black Knight I underplayed in PHOF. Admittedly a major reason I love that and Gorgar is that they share sfx and art style with Joust. Is there any reason why?

I would kill for the Joust table. Never played it, though I missed a local pinball convention that had one. Even if it's no good, I really want it. Too bad the license holder doesn't care about it.

AcridMeat

Banned
I went to ground kontrol an arcade in Portland today which has some great tables, tng, Addams family, theatre of magic, twilight zone, attack from mars, circus Voltaire, and what I've been wanting to play ever since it came out in PA, bride of pinbot! It is do much harder to hit those left side ramps I only got voice activation a couple times. Great arcade.

Shaneus

I went to ground kontrol an arcade in Portland today which has some great tables, tng, Addams family, theatre of magic, twilight zone, attack from mars, circus Voltaire, and what I've been wanting to play ever since it came out in PA, bride of pinbot! It is do much harder to hit those left side ramps I only got voice activation a couple times. Great arcade.
It's still the most broken (rule-wise) out of everything on PA so far. When there's literally nothing to do to beat the game other than hit that left ramp and occasionally hit the heart ramp in the middle, then your game is broke.

Daigoro

wait, so what pack is Funhouse in for 360? im confused (and the OP is a mess). or is it not out yet?

i thought pack 2 was Bride of Pinbot/Midevil Madness and pack 3 is Gorgar/Monster Bash.

i think im going to buy pack 2 today and wait on pack 3 until its all patched up. i still suck at the first 4 tables.

Daigoro

er, so its standalone, not included in a pack? any other tables like this? wtf.

the OP could really use some cleaning up... what happened to AMUSIX?

edit: oh maybe its one of those table of the month deals? ill just wait to get home so i can check out the app itself. this is confusing.

edit 2: oh just checked the LIVE site on my phone. im totally spacing on pack 2 Funhouse/Circus Voltaire. i thought that pack 2 was BoP/MM, but that's pack 1. im a little behind here.

ooooh kay.

did they ever get the cross-platform tourney's going at all? im guessing no.

Vert boil

wait, so what pack is Funhouse in for 360? im confused (and the OP is a mess). or is it not out yet?

i thought pack 2 was Bride of Pinbot/Midevil Madness and pack 3 is Gorgar/Monster Bash.

i think im going to buy pack 2 today and wait on pack 3 until its all patched up. i still suck at the first 4 tables.

Pack 1: Medieval Madness and The Machine: Bride of Pin•Bot
Pack 2: Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse
Pack 3: Gorgar and Monster Bash
Pack 4: Creature from the Black Lagoon and Black Knight - vid
Pack 5: Harley Davidson Third Edition and Taxi - vid

Shaneus

er, so its standalone, not included in a pack? any other tables like this? wtf.

the OP could really use some cleaning up... what happened to AMUSIX?

edit: oh maybe its one of those table of the month deals? ill just wait to get home so i can check out the app itself. this is confusing.

edit 2: oh just checked the LIVE site on my phone. im totally spacing on pack 2 Funhouse/Circus Voltaire. i thought that pack 2 was BoP/MM, but that's pack 1. im a little behind here.

ooooh kay.

did they ever get the cross-platform tourney's going at all? im guessing no.
Main game: Tales of the Arabian Nights, Ripley's Believe It Or Not, Theatre of Magic and Black Hole
Pack 1: Bride of Pinbot, MM
Pack 2: Cirqus Voltaire, Funhouse
Pack 3: Gorgar, Monster Bash (the latest on 360)
Pack 4: Black Knight, Creature from the Black Lagoon (still coming)

Pack 5 will be Taxi and Harley Davidson, yet to appear on any platform.

Edit: Beaten.

Daigoro

thanks anyways. appreciate it.

so i think im getting pack 2 today. so far pack 2 and 4 looks like the most interesting packs.

how do people like pack 1?

so parallax is already number 2 at Gorgar, and my highest Monster Bash score would put me 14 th if i hadn't set it before the leaderboards were up. i'm guessing by tonight that score will be waaaaaaay down the list. i'd be 11th at Gorgar too... but sadly I have to get ready for work and won't be able to play until much later.

Daigoro, i liked pack 1 quite a bit. I enjoyed Bride of Pinbot (sue me!) and Medieval Madness deserves it's really high ranking as one of the best tables ever.

Shaneus

Oh, there's nothing wrong with BoP for the most part, but once you come to the realisation you're basically doing the same thing and hearing the same sounds for the past however long you've been playing, it's all you think about. But if you never really acknowledge that internally (and it's totally fine if you don't!) then more power to you. I still like to play it every so often, but there's not the sense of accomplishment than with some of the other games when you do a really long stint in it.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with BoP for the most part, but once you come to the realisation you're basically doing the same thing and hearing the same sounds for the past however long you've been playing, it's all you think about. But if you never really acknowledge that internally (and it's totally fine if you don't!) then more power to you. I still like to play it every so often, but there's not the sense of accomplishment than with some of the other games when you do a really long stint in it.

i really enjoy keeping the two balls in play for as long as possible. when i was going for the billion point shot the tension was insane every time i spun the big wheel and prepped myself to make the heart shot. i really like the theme and the sounds and the turning face gimmick.

yeah, you're just making two shots, but you have to keep two balls in play for a long time to do it.

Daigoro

holy crap, i just learned how to do a post pass and pulled it off a bunch of times in Funhouse! didnt even know the move existed until this morning when i looked it up.

is this a move that you guys use often to switch flippers? is it game dependent?

im excited i just learned a new pinball move. my scores still suck though. hitting the ramps i want is still difficult.

holy crap, i just learned how to do a post pass and pulled it off a bunch of times in Funhouse! didnt even know the move existed until this morning when i looked it up.

is this a move that you guys use often to switch flippers? is it game dependent?

im excited i just learned a new pinball move. my scores still suck though. hitting the ramps i want is still difficult.

i use it often enough. not much in funhouse because the return is easily caught on the right flipper if you hold it up, and if you leave it down it bounces over to the left flipper easily enough.

nudging is really where the pros like Parallax make a huge difference. i'm getting better at nudging when i see a ball going somewhere i don't want it to, but guys like Parallax nudge to get the ball going where they want to, rather than just to avoid disasters.

i saw someone repeatedly do a reflex catch on Sterns Ironman IRL and was able to do it once in about ten tries.

Daigoro

yeah ive been nudging out of reflex for when the ball is about to go out in the one of the side lanes or straight down the chute. im not good at it though.

do most people use the analog stick? feels hard to get an gradient of a nudge. feels kind of like all or nothing with how sensitive the stick is.

what other used are there for nudge besides keeping the ball in play when its about to drain, anything? edit: i read your post more closely and i figure out the answer to my question. that sounds crazy. i cant even imagine how that works.

I live about 30 minutes from Portland. I must check this place out!

Awesome news that the leaderboards and achievments are working now! I sent friend request to Shaneus, torontoDowntown, AcridMeat, and Daigoro.. I am Old Jedi Revan. :)

microtubule

PSN news from the official facebook page:

Table Pack 3 is scheduled for a September 4th release on PSN/Vita in North America (along with a title update that adds trophy support for Table Packs 1 and 2).

you'll have to recover your profile.

Never heard of that! Off to google I go!

edit: would doing this delete all my saved games and stuff? It's only giving me two options.. delete just the profile or delete profile and saved games and achievements...

I don't want to lose my saved games but I guess I'm trying to delete the achievements?

Jesus, Farsight. You don't do anything right. Why do I even have to do this?

Never heard of that! Off to google I go!

edit: would doing this delete all my saved games and stuff? It's only giving me two options.. delete just the profile or delete profile and saved games and achievements...

I don't want to lose my saved games but I guess I'm trying to delete the achievements?

Jesus, Farsight. You don't do anything right. Why do I even have to do this?

You don't have to delete your profile, just recover it. Guide button, log out, "download profile."

That's a very useful move and something I use frequently. On Funhouse I only post-pass from the left flipper to the right. I find right-to-left too difficult to do reliably. Some tables it works both directions.

do most people use the analog stick? feels hard to get an gradient of a nudge. feels kind of like all or nothing with how sensitive the stick is.

I use the stick. By moving the stick only partway from the center you can give the table a very light nudge so you don't have to worry as much about the tilt sensor.

what other used are there for nudge besides keeping the ball in play when its about to drain, anything? edit: i read your post more closely and i figure out the answer to my question. that sounds crazy. i cant even imagine how that works.

Helping to bring the ball to a stop when you're trapping it, preventing the ball from bouncing off the slingshots. Also if you can recognize early that the ball is moving towards an outlane or the center drain, you can give it a light nudge to the side to steer it away from that.

Top Bottom