• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

VALIS

Funhouse has a fairly difficult multiball. It's really easy to control one ball in that game but then when there's three balls out there it's a free-for-all for the exits.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So can anyone who is affected by PS3 lag in previous versions comment on the patch out today?

I've never had trouble, but would value knowing what others think. When it's fixed I won't mind getting it out to play when friends are over. (They've been bothered by lag before, don't want to annoy them if it's still there.)

Wonko_C

The lag on PS3 is definetly reduced (or gone) from what I can see, playing in 1080p. The bad news is Ripley's and Theater of Magic are broken now with horrible slowdown and stuttery framerate. Switching to camera 3 seems to alleviate the problem but I'm getting tired of Farsight fixing problems only to create new issues.

Vita fares a bit better, TOM has the texture issue lessened but I still think it needs better anisotropy, and TOTAN has got rid of that ugly texture seams.

I can't believe how months TPA's release, it still feels sloppy while Zen Pinball 2 runs like a dream in both platforms in the first try. I have spare change and I'm already considering buying the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 or Mars tables, but I can't decide which of those 2 is more fun. I'm leaning towards mars solely for it's "out there" design.

Question about the new trophy pack in the PS3/Vita version of Pinball Arcade. I see there are trophies for completing standard goals... I have already completed them in Bride of Pinbot for example. Now I can only view my progress for the wizard goals. Is it still possible to get this trophy?

Edit: Never mind, I forgot I can just back up my save and then grab the trophy that way.

Minsc

Gold Member
The lag on PS3 is definetly reduced (or gone) from what I can see, playing in 1080p. The bad news is Ripley's and Theater of Magic are broken now with horrible slowdown and stuttery framerate. Switching to camera 3 seems to alleviate the problem but I'm getting tired of Farsight fixing problems only to create new issues.

Vita fares a bit better, TOM has the texture issue lessened but I still think it needs better anisotropy, and TOTAN has got rid of that ugly texture seams.

I can't believe how months TPA's release, it still feels sloppy while Zen Pinball 2 runs like a dream in both platforms in the first try. I have spare change and I'm already considering buying the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 or Mars tables, but I can't decide which of those 2 is more fun. I'm leaning towards mars solely for it's "out there" design.

I get the feeling they just run and test the game at 720p heh, there was a reply from facebook quoted in the PAF forums:

"We're sorry about that- the current update does have slowdown issues on some tables. These only occur in 1080, so please play in 720 until the new update is released (which should occur in the next 48 hours)."

I believe the 720p mode also eliminates the PS3 lag now fully too. So there's that as well. But at least a fix is coming soon!

I still see Pinball Arcade as in its infancy, not as you say "months after release" trying to make it sound like ages. I guess after it's launched on the announced platforms in full (which is now Wii-U, PC and Ouya), and we see the kickstarter tables released, and a redo of its UI, then I'll start to feel things are getting to that point of "after all this time."

So probably sometime next year. The good thing is they're generally as good about fixing things as they are about breaking them for the most part, and things generally only break like that because they're trying to improve other areas, so eventually you get you do get improvements.

I always think if these types of temporary bugs bother one that much, it's probably best to ignore the game for a long time (months and months), then return after 10+ new tables are out and many bugs are fixed. But I can only fault them so much because it's not like any one else is re-making pinball tables anymore, and it is ultimately a 20-year old table not running perfectly for a month or two generally, hardly a deal breaker for me, especially as they add more and more tables that do work to play in the meantime.

And finally, as great as you say Zen Pinball 2 is, I can't help but disagree, it's not. The game is a complete, unacceptable disgrace in iOS. Only 2 of all the tables run at a playable speed (not even 30fps). The game has seen very little updates, and leaves me a way worse impression than FarSight does. But they're making PvZ pinball, so that gets them a lot of slack. :)

nexen

Gorgar sound on Vita seems ... wrong. I've only ever heard the table speak once and it never says 'gorgar' when I hit all the gor & gar targets. Anyone else noticing this?

Sometimes when I'm playing Funhouse, it will be playing three songs on top of each other in a jumbled mess. Did the original table do this or is that a bug in Pinball Arcade?

nexen

That's a special Pinball Arcade exclusive! It happened to me the other day and it was annoying as all hell.

The audio in Funhouse is annoying even when it is simulated 100% correctly. Fun table, but ugh.

edit: HEY I need more peeps on my scoreboard. If you want to compare scores add me on PSN: 'nexens'

I still see Pinball Arcade as in its infancy, not as you say "months after release" trying to make it sound like ages. I guess after it's launched on the announced platforms in full (which is now Wii-U, PC and Ouya), and we see the kickstarter tables released, and a redo of its UI, then I'll start to feel things are getting to that point of "after all this time."
They started taking money from people for their product in February. That's over half a year ago. If they weren't sure of their product then they shouldn't have released it.

Minsc

Gold Member
They started taking money from people for their product in February. That's over half a year ago. If they weren't sure of their product then they shouldn't have released it.

And they delivered a product for the (very little) money people paid, I don't see the problem. The vast majority of people who purchased the game have gotten countless hours of enjoyment from it, for the few bucks it cost. Other companies have taken money from people for a product that doesn't even exist, like Wasteland 2, should they have not done that?

Teppic

The reason I don't like multiball is based on a single experience I had in Extreme Pinball.

I was playing the table Urban Chaos and I had worked myself towards something like 500.000.000 points. Then I got multiball and things got crazy. Kept the balls up and the score just increased. When I was done, I had something like over 1.000.000.000 points.

The thing is, it didn't feel like I earned any of those points. I was just flipping balls back, not really knowing where they went. Took all the fun out of the game for me.

AcridMeat

Banned
The audio in Funhouse is annoying even when it is simulated 100% correctly. Fun table, but ugh.

edit: HEY I need more peeps on my scoreboard. If you want to compare scores add me on PSN: 'nexens'
That's why I don't have that table pack yet. I really don't like Funhouse's aesthetic/sounds. I'll add you on PSN, I'm AcridMeat. I'm terrible though so there won't be much of a challenge.

Brashnir

And they delivered a product for the (very little) money people paid, I don't see the problem. The vast majority of people who purchased the game have gotten countless hours of enjoyment from it, for the few bucks it cost. Other companies have taken money from people for a product that doesn't even exist, like Wasteland 2, should they have not done that?

If Wasteland 2 comes out and the release is botched at every turn, people have the right to complain about it. Just because there's other products out there using a different business model doesn't make the mismanagement of this one acceptable.

Wonko_C

I get the feeling they just run and test the game at 720p heh, there was a reply from facebook quoted in the PAF forums:

I believe the 720p mode also eliminates the PS3 lag now fully too. So there's that as well. But at least a fix is coming soon!

So probably sometime next year. The good thing is they're generally as good about fixing things as they are about breaking them for the most part, and things generally only break like that because they're trying to improve other areas, so eventually you get you do get improvements.

I always think if these types of temporary bugs bother one that much, it's probably best to ignore the game for a long time (months and months), then return after 10+ new tables are out and many bugs are fixed. But I can only fault them so much because it's not like any one else is re-making pinball tables anymore, and it is ultimately a 20-year old table not running perfectly for a month or two generally, hardly a deal breaker for me, especially as they add more and more tables that do work to play in the meantime.

And finally, as great as you say Zen Pinball 2 is, I can't help but disagree, it's not. The game is a complete, unacceptable disgrace in iOS. Only 2 of all the tables run at a playable speed (not even 30fps). The game has seen very little updates, and leaves me a way worse impression than FarSight does. But they're making PvZ pinball, so that gets them a lot of slack. :)

I thought Zen 2 was a PS3/Vita exclusive, (I don't have smartphones/tablets, I'm assuming Pinball Arcade runs a lot better on iOS so it kinda evens out) the PS3/Vita versions are pretty much flawless on release, 60 fps on both systems. Though the physics in ZP2 still feel like there is a huge magnet at the bottom of the table constantly pulling the ball down.

Played a bit of TPA in 720p on my PS3 and yep, no more slowdown, it feels awesome now. I'm on a pinball overload!

Minsc

Gold Member
If Wasteland 2 comes out and the release is botched at every turn, people have the right to complain about it. Just because there's other products out there using a different business model doesn't make the mismanagement of this one acceptable.

Complain all you want, sure, but just keep it in perspective is what I was trying to say. There's no current alternatives being pursued by other companies (as far as real tables go), it's cheap, and it is being patched as it goes on, which is what they intended from the start, though not to this extent I'm sure.

Wonko_C said:
I thought Zen 2 was a PS3/Vita exclusive, (I don't have smartphones/tablets, I'm assuming Pinball Arcade runs a lot better on iOS so it kinda evens out) the PS3/Vita versions are pretty much flawless on release, 60 fps on both systems. Though the physics in ZP2 still feel like there is a huge magnet at the bottom of the table constantly pulling the ball down.

You're right, it's Zen Pinball that's on iOS. I also didn't realize the new version was a PS3/Vita exclusive, and mixed them up.

Agent X

On the PS3, the lag seems mostly gone, but it still feels like there's some lag on Tales of the Arabian Nights. I have not experienced any slowdown issues, but I play all tables (just the four from the base game) on camera angle 2. I have noticed a bug where the Ripley's Believe It or Not title does not appear on the table selection screen--it shows either Tales of the Arabian Nights or Black Hole, depending on which direction you are moving in the menu to select the table (whichever one you scrolled over from). Despite having the wrong game title, it does show the Stern logo underneath.

The Vita version seems greatly improved after the patch. The table textures look sharp and distinct (unlike some of the photos I saw of the last patch--never bothered to get that patch myself), although some of the translucent rails still look awkward. Some of the rather annoying bugs that I observed before are gone. The Ripley's Believe it or Not skill shot goal is working now--my first game in after the patch, on ball 2, I hit the skill shot...got the 1,000,000...got the goal marked as complete...got the trophy for completing all standard goals. Believe it or not (heh), I hit the skill shot again on ball 3 (and got 2,000,000), which is funny since I had so much difficulty getting this skill shot in the past. Also, the Black Hole rollover bug has also been fixed.

Minor graphical issues aside, the Vita version looks great, plays great as well, and is pretty much what I was hoping for when I got the game back in April. The PS3 version still needs a little more polish, especially with the reports of the slowdown that I'm hearing about. Overall, though, it looks like definite progress has been made.

Star Trek TNG is very nearly there despite a massive lack of updates for the Kickstarter. just over $2000 to go and ten days left. I wonder if they'll announce a stretch goal again. TAF would seem the most obvious...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm still noticing the lag on the PS3 version. It's not as bad as before but going from Vita to PS3 it's definitely noticeable--enough to make me not want to play the PS3 version.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm still noticing the lag on the PS3 version. It's not as bad as before but going from Vita to PS3 it's definitely noticeable--enough to make me not want to play the PS3 version.

In 720p?

Where are you, damned iOS update? Someone needs their TAXI TAXI TAXI.

Was rejected (lol). Something about a table failing to update properly. But they're now aiming for a release around the 15th.

blackflag

Did they update anything with the tilt and back touch on Vita? That's really the only reason I stopped playing it on there.

I do have the huge lag problem on PS3 so I'll update tonight and see how much better that is.

Weird that of all the platforms, this seems to work best on iPad for me. Sad actually.

jgkspsx

Star Trek TNG is very nearly there despite a massive lack of updates for the Kickstarter. just over $2000 to go and ten days left. I wonder if they'll announce a stretch goal again. TAF would seem the most obvious...

A little late for that, don't you think?

I upped my contribution to $20 just in case.

Wonko_C

2.02 update for PS3 is out. Downloading...

EDIT: Aaaand all of my DLC tables are gone. LOL. I'll reinstall to see if it helps.

2.02 update for PS3 is out. Downloading...

EDIT: Aaaand all of my DLC tables are gone. LOL. I'll reinstall to see if it helps.

Apparently they introduced a new bug in the PS3 update and DLC tables don't show up if your display is set to 720. If you set it to 1080 they show up again. On their Facebook page, some people were saying you could re-download the DLC tables to get them to show up. They submitted a fix to Sony, so hopefully it will materialize soon. I'm scared to update the Vita version now...

Wonko_C

Apparently they introduced a new bug in the PS3 update and DLC tables don't show up if your display is set to 720. If you set it to 1080 they show up again. On their Facebook page, some people were saying you could re-download the DLC tables to get them to show up. They submitted a fix to Sony, so hopefully it will materialize soon. I'm scared to update the Vita version now...

Haha, that did the trick, thanks. I was about to go crazy.

I updated the Vita version and it seems fine, all tables are still there. MM flipper gap is still huge and there are TOTAN-style texture seams on a few tables, but not as noticeable. Texture detail is better but it never got as good as it was when the game was first released. (Lack of anisotropic filtering?)

Initial Release:
646hu.jpg

Now:
s7Nb8.jpg

the two Elvira tables look great.

she still looks hot because fake boobs and lots of makeup. fortunately that's ALWAYS been her appeal, so age withers her not.

Daigoro

does everyone use different cameras on different tables, or do people have a favorite? any preferences on locked or unlocked? im still trying to figure out what i prefer.

been working on HAREM multiball here for the past 30 minutes or so. what a pain in the ass!

does everyone use different cameras on different tables, or do people have a favorite? any preferences on locked or unlocked? im still trying to figure out what i prefer.

been working on HAREM multiball here for the past 30 minutes or so. what a pain in the ass!

i know right? i haven't managed yet. i get so board waiting for tiger loop to time out. then you accidentally light lock and it's like... EURGH.

microtubule

@Daigoro

I am boring, I use the same default #1 camera view on all tables. Although now that you mentioned it I might try the different views for each particular table.

tw1164

I use camera angle 3 locked.

Has anyone gotten Lyman's Lament in Monster Bash? I doubt I'll ever be able to hit the scoop 44x.

I use camera angle 3 locked.

Has anyone gotten Lyman's Lament in Monster Bash? I doubt I'll ever be able to hit the scoop 44x.

only with the flipper input code, which doesn't count for the wizard goal.

Harem multiball should be a goddamn wizard goal.

I use #2 fixed on most tables so I can use the same view for both regular play and multiball. I prefer #3 fixed, but that view isn't allowed in multiball for some reason. Having the camera swap between angles every time I start multiball is a big distraction, so on most tables I leave it on #2.

Brashnir

I use #2 fixed on most tables so I can use the same view for both regular play and multiball. I prefer #3 fixed, but that view isn't allowed in multiball for some reason. Having the camera swap between angles every time I start multiball is a big distraction, so on most tables I leave it on #2.

There's a setting in options to disable multiball camera. It's not in the global options from the main menu, but it's in Help & Options from within the table menus.

It may have been added post-release, since I didn't see it until recently.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Oh dear, Gorgar is such a treat. I forgot how much I missed it while I was waiting for it on Pinball Arcade. (I gave/lent my PHoF disc to a friend and have been without Gorgar since January...)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
FYI on Vita after the 1.04 patch there seems to be more framerate stuttering on Black Hole, and Medieval Madness' framerate is worse than ever, it is stuttering pretty badly for me.

Also the sound on Black Hole may be triggering off timing now as well, it sounds janky.

Top Bottom