• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Helping to bring the ball to a stop when you're trapping it, preventing the ball from bouncing off the slingshots. Also if you can recognize early that the ball is moving towards an outlane or the center drain, you can give it a light nudge to the side to steer it away from that.
well, that and...

There's your problem. Jive Time requires a lot of preemptive nudging to get the ball where you want it.

in Funhouse, it's easier to hit the hot dog hole and just let it dead flipper transfer the ball over to the left flipper when it returns it. i forgot what the hot dog hole is really called.

it's the vagina right?

AcridMeat

Banned
It's still the most broken (rule-wise) out of everything on PA so far. When there's literally nothing to do to beat the game other than hit that left ramp and occasionally hit the heart ramp in the middle, then your game is broke.
May be true, but I don't think there needs to be an "end" personally. It still has my favorite voice samples and music.
I live about 30 minutes from Portland. I must check this place out!
Definitely worth it! Had some great music playing and there's a bar as well. I had limited time so I stuck with pinball but there are some great arcade games too. The first game you see as you walk in is a 4p pacman machine.

Oh and not much of an accomplishment but I got 95 million on Arabian nights on my phone, previous best was 28 haha.

Brashnir

Mystery Mirror. And yeah, that's how I send it to the left flipper.

It's a fairly right-flipper heavy table, really. The only spots I ever shoot for on the left are the lock and the Gangway, and I find the Gangway to be too dangerous to aim for most of the time.

That said, I don't notice any difference on post passes for either side. I'm not as MLG as you, though.

VALIS

I wish I could take a Nudging 101 course from a local college or something. I don't know if I expect too much from it or just haven't gotten the hang of it in PA, but most of the time my nudges never do what I want. Been playing Gorgar for the last hour or two, and I can nudge my way to getting the A rollover up top pretty consistently, probably 95%. But saving myself from the outlanes with nudges, maybe 5%. Just never works.

Also, the 1 and 4 targets are pretty tricky. Not easy shots, or at least, I haven't found the groove yet. I do have 34th on the XBL board right now with 717k, but I'm sure by tomorrow that'll be 234th. Love this table, great sound, art, and clear cut goals of reasonable difficulty.

Daigoro

That's a very useful move and something I use frequently. On Funhouse I only post-pass from the left flipper to the right. I find right-to-left too difficult to do reliably. Some tables it works both directions.

I use the stick. By moving the stick only partway from the center you can give the table a very light nudge so you don't have to worry as much about the tilt sensor.

Helping to bring the ball to a stop when you're trapping it, preventing the ball from bouncing off the slingshots. Also if you can recognize early that the ball is movingtowards an outlane or the center drain, you can give it a light nudge to the side to steer it away from that.

awesome. thanks for the tips.

yeah im probably just being too heavy on the analog stick. just a rookie mistake i assume.

nudging to to prevent bouncing from slingshots huh? now thats tech. no idea you could do that. crazy.

well, that and...

in Funhouse, it's easier to hit the hot dog hole and just let it dead flipper transfer the ball over to the left flipper when it returns it. i forgot what the hot dog hole is really called.

it's the vagina right?

Mystery Mirror. And yeah, that's how I send it to the left flipper.

so yeah, hit the mystery mirror/wind tunnel and the ball pops back out from the little return hole on the right, then it hits the right flipper and automatically transfers to the left, correct? i started to figure this out after plagarize said something this morning about the return switching to the left flipper automatically.

i thought it would just drain down the center, but i let it drop and it just popped over. sweet! for some reason i wasnt having much trouble doing a post pass from the right to left flippers this morning after i learned it. probably just beginners luck though. seems like it makes sense just to go for the mirror and grab some more points while transferring the ball though.

im still psyched that i learned a new move today though. cool shit! it can only be a good thing for my overall pinball skills. i had fun playing this morning. finally got the standard goals cleared for ToM. looking forward to playing some more tomorrow.

thanks again for the tips guys.

VALIS

Third ever game of Medieval Madness (not counting once or twice in the arcades many years ago), 70m on my first ball, ended up with 83m. Oof. Total wipeout. :p

I'm sure a lot of you guys know about this already, but for those who don't, the Pinball Archive Videos & Tutorials: http://pinball.org/videos/

Tons of great vids of pinball competitions, tutorials, basic gameplay. The tournament play vids with commentary are far more entertaining than they have any right to be. My wife (mild interest in pinball at best) even got sucked into watching one for a half an hour over my shoulder this morning.

Third ever game of Medieval Madness (not counting once or twice in the arcades many years ago), 70m on my first ball, ended up with 83m. Oof. Total wipeout. :p

I'm sure a lot of you guys know about this already, but for those who don't, the Pinball Archive Videos & Tutorials: http://pinball.org/videos/

Tons of great vids of pinball competitions, tutorials, basic gameplay. The tournament play vids with commentary are far more entertaining than they have any right to be. My wife (mild interest in pinball at best) even got sucked into watching one for a half an hour over my shoulder this morning.

my most frustrating game came on wednesday. I was playing Monster Bash and things were looking great. I had all but two instruments, and I was currently active in the last two modes to award me the final two instruments. I had just lit Mosh Multiball, and lost track of the spirit flip. It flipped before i wanted to, and the ball ricocheted right down the drain denying me monsters of rock. GODDAMN SPIRIT FLIP! if i'd hit that multiball i'd have definately cleared the last two modes and got those remaining instruments.

Shaneus

my most frustrating game came on wednesday. I was playing Monster Bash and things were looking great. I had all but two instruments, and I was currently active in the last two modes to award me the final two instruments. I had just lit Mosh Multiball, and lost track of the spirit flip. It flipped before i wanted to, and the ball ricocheted right down the drain denying me monsters of rock. GODDAMN SPIRIT FLIP! if i'd hit that multiball i'd have definately cleared the last two modes and got those remaining instruments.
Phantom flip ;)

Remy

Table Pack #5 for Android now and iOS this weekend:

Table Pack #5: Harley Davidson, Third Edition™ and Taxi™ has just been released for Android and should be released for iOS this weekend. These two classics are great tables that we hope you all enjoy. The Table of the Month is Taxi™ which can be played for free if you haven’t bought Table Pack #5.

Playstation Update:

Add-on Pack#3: Gorgar™ and Monster Bash™ will be released on PS3 and PSVita in North America on Sept. 5th. Add-on Pack#4: Black Knight™ and Creature from the Black Lagoon™ is expected to be released on PS3 and PSVita in North America on Sept. 25th.

European PS3/Vita Release Dates:

Table Pack 1:Medieal Madness™ and Bride of Pinbot™ is expected to be released on Sept 19th.

Table Pack 2: Cirqus Voltaire™ and Funhouse™ is expected to be released on Oct. 3rd.

Table Pack 3: Gorgar™ and Monster Bash™ is expected to be released on Oct. 17th.

Table Pack 4:Creature from the Black Lagoon™ and Black Knight™ is expected to be released on Oct. 31th.

Table Pack #6 will be No Good Gofers and...something else:

No Good Gofers!™ will be a part of Table Pack #6. We have made a lot of gameplay improvements to the PHOF version as well as enhancements in our art for the Pinball Arcade version. No Good Gofers is a fun table for pinball hackers and seasoned pros. It was released by Williams in 1997 and features two menacing gophers, Buzz and Bud. The other table release in this pack will be announced next week in a video featuring a friend of ours who also stars in the table!

Shaneus

A friend of ours... oh god, I hope it's High Speed, which (kinda) "starred" Steve Ritchie. Or The Getaway, which also kinda stars him. But that's another DMD (and I doubt they'd put two DMDs in the one pack).

VALIS

A friend of ours... oh god, I hope it's High Speed, which (kinda) "starred" Steve Ritchie. Or The Getaway, which also kinda stars him. But that's another DMD (and I doubt they'd put two DMDs in the one pack).

Fingers crossed, either of those would be great (see avatar). Both would be even better.

Speaking of 80s Williams classics, would love it if they did the amusement park series some day, too (Comet, Cyclone, Hurricane).

HEY YOU WITH THE FACE!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm glad we finally have dates for EU PSN. It'll take a bit longer than I hoped, but it's easier to wait when you have dates. I just hope that we won't have to wait so long for Twilight Zone.

Gaspode_T

Got 290M in Monster Bash and I am still second to last on friends list...had 4 or 5 balls at around 250M and lost my groove somehow, probably could have kept going but I started getting drains one after the other

I see Parallax Scroll kicking butt in many of the table global scores...

Monster Bash is nice because the real thing is in a famous retro arcade in Tokyo so I can go play it after I feel confident about my virtual skills.

I'd say this version of Gorgar is harder than the PHoF version due to different physics, but it's also more fun.

I LOVE Gorgar. I really really do. I love the sound of the ball rolling. I love the heartbeat. I love the speech. I love the way scoring works. Old school pinball doesn't normally do it for me, but Gorgar seems to be something special. I think it's the 'mood' of the table.

I wish I could repeat my 500 something million in monster bash now leader boards are up... but I can't break into the 300s. Maybe I should stop trying to light as many modes at once and then start a multiball, because usually I get a bunch of modes lit and end up draining when I shoot for frankenstein or mosh pit multiball and end up losing out on a bunch of instruments all at once. damn you Shameus with your score on the leaderboards that I know I should be able to beat but can't. DAMN YOU.

Shaneus

I LOVE Gorgar. I really really do. I love the sound of the ball rolling. I love the heartbeat. I love the speech. I love the way scoring works. Old school pinball doesn't normally do it for me, but Gorgar seems to be something special. I think it's the 'mood' of the table.

I wish I could repeat my 500 something million in monster bash now leader boards are up... but I can't break into the 300s. Maybe I should stop trying to light as many modes at once and then start a multiball, because usually I get a bunch of modes lit and end up draining when I shoot for frankenstein or mosh pit multiball and end up losing out on a bunch of instruments all at once. damn you Shameus with your score on the leaderboards that I know I should be able to beat but can't. DAMN YOU.
If you're really desperate, the Frankenstein tilt bug is still in. But then it would only be superficial.

It's such a shame... when the game was "leaked", without the bug I managed over 500mil, now I can barely get 300 :/

One of the things I really like about Gorgar is that you really have to plan ahead. Not only do you have to carefully aim where your shots are going, but you've got to think about where it's going to bounce after that as well. Or when the ball is in play, you often need multiple nudges of the table and multiple bounces off surfaces to bring the ball back under your control.

VALIS

What makes Gorgar so addictive for me is it's a game I constantly feel like I'm almost in control of but never quite. It's pretty easy to trap, dead flipper pass and post pass, but the outlanes are murder and your 500K start could go down the drain in seconds. And even though the eject hole, snake pit and spinner are kinda easy shots, they're not that easy. It's not like hitting ramps and lanes in Medieval Madness, for instance, which is almost automatic. I still miss these shots enough to make me yell at myself constantly.

I started playing Gorgar an hour ago after waking up and my knee is bouncing and I'm all wired. That table does this to me.

I think another way to put it is that in Gorgar you give up control of the ball each time you send it up into the playfield, and then it's a fight to regain control of it again.

VALIS

Ahhh. Nice 1.2m game in Gorgar, my best yet. Could've taken it farther, too, I just had the G (leftmost) of the GOR drop targets left to light another free ball and couldn't nail it after 5 minutes of close calls. I'm sure there's some right flipper angle to it but I couldn't find it, and rebounds off the jets kept missing. Still, I'm satisfied. Time to obsess over another table for a while.

edit: Ooh, and I see I leap frogged Plagiarize with that score. Ha. ;)

Ahhh. Nice 1.2m game in Gorgar, my best yet. Could've taken it farther, too, I just had the G (leftmost) of the GOR drop targets left to light another free ball and couldn't nail it after 5 minutes of close calls. I'm sure there's some right flipper angle to it but I couldn't find it, and rebounds off the jets kept missing. Still, I'm satisfied. Time to obsess over another table for a while.

edit: Ooh, and I see I leap frogged Plagiarize with that score. Ha. ;)

you were already ahead of me on gorgar :)

I think there are other strategies that can work that involve getting extra balls, but mine doesn't. If you spell GOR and GAR twice you can get good points from the left eject hole, but if you earn an extra ball you have to spell them again.

:O

That's pretty much all I've been doing, concentrating on GOR and GAR for the extra ball. Nice to know.

I read on the PA forum someone saying just light the top rollovers and then go for the spinner. *shrug*

recognising that i'm behind you both on scoring, i usually go for lighting up the jet bumpers and the spinner, aim for a 3x and then go for extra balls. i'm pretty good at nudging the ball where i want to light the multipliers once i get it up there. still haven't broken a million though.

How do you do the 1 billion point shot on Bride of Pinbot?

Keep making left ramp shots until you get multiball. Send both balls back up the left ramp to get metamorphasis, then send them both up again to spin the big wheel. If the wheel lands on Billionaire's Club, shoot the center ramp before the time expires to collect the billion.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Patch for Vita is up

It says four tables, not two, are now available for today's update:

Monster Bash
Gorgar

and

Creature from the Black Lagoon
Black Knight

Version 1.03 110 megs

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Patch for Vita is up

Monster Bash
Gorgar

and

Black Knight

Version 1.03 110 megs

:O

AcridMeat

Banned
Patch for Vita is up

Monster Bash
Gorgar

and

Black Knight

Version 1.03 110 megs
There was a patch on PS3 but it didn't add any tables as far as I could tell. :/ If this is true I'll be ecstatic.

Minsc

Gold Member
Am I the only one who thinks multiball is the most boring thing in pinball games?

Now you've done it! Boom, boom, boom! Zaaap, zaaap! SHOW-TIME!

Never gets old. :) Helps that as far as I can remember most multiballs from TAF last me around 20-30 seconds thanks in part to the balls being thrown out of their path right down the center of the table or out the sides. I guess if you're really good and get like 30 multi-balls a turn you probably get sick of them though, but i tend to only get 1-2 for an entire game (unless it's a table with many types of multiball).

I like multiball. Keeping several balls under control at once is a good challenge.

yeah. that's what I liked about Bride of Pinbot. keeping both balls in play to keep spinning that big wheel (when I was trying to get the billion point shot) was pretty damn tense and a good change of pace.

Top Bottom