• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

VALIS

96m on my first ball on Funhouse. Finished with 120m. Garg. It's a battle of stamina and boredom more than anything, even though it's one of my favorite tables. This game probably took me close to an hour. How long did your 770m score take, PS?

Maybe 4 hours? Funhouse is one of my favorite tables, but it does get pretty repetitive when you play it that long.

Edit: Damn, with this new camera setting I almost doubled my Theater of Magic score. First place baby.

Daigoro

yeah thanks! lol

thanks for posting camera preferences everyone. and about that tip to disable multiball camera. didnt know about that.

Maybe 4 hours? Funhouse is one of my favorite tables, but it does get pretty repetitive when you play it that long.

Edit: Damn, with this new camera setting I almost doubled my Theater of Magic score. First place baby.

so you're using fixed #3 multiball cam off now?

3 is what i have been most comfortable with, but ive been experimenting recently. i still always feel like there are certain parts of the table that i cant really see though. some ramps and spots that i could never really make out until i saw them close up while reading the instructions or something. very much unlike a real table where you can see pretty much everything at a glance.

still, pretty boss pinball emulation. i do enjoy this game, though im sucky at it.

hard to imagine playing one pinball game for 3-4 hours. maybe if i was good enough i could visualize playing for that long though.

so you're using fixed #3 multiball cam off now?

Fixed #2 or #3 based on the table. Now that I know about turning off multiball cam I'll have to see if #3 works better on some of the other tables where I used #2 before. The one table where I use smart cam is Medieval Madness since it makes it easier to see the bonus rollovers.

Turning off that multiball cam is so good! I didn't know about that option!

Last night, I finally got that billionaire shot in Bride of Pinbot. I know it's one of the easiest tables but it still felt great! :)

Shaneus

This was posted over at the STTNG thread, but it needs to be posted here!

Many of you have been patiently (OK, not so patiently) awaiting news about the PC version of the Pinball Arcade. We are excited to announce that it is finally ready! We would like to partner with the Steam online gaming platform to distribute the PC version (including the PC version of the Star Trek: The Next Generation table for our backers) but we need your help. Steam uses a greenlight process to decide which games to distribute based on the number of votes a game receives. Please take a minute to cast a vote for the Pinball Arcade. As a small thank-you we've put together a new video that includes a glimpse of the upcoming Elvira and the Party Monsters table- check it out and cast a vote by following this link:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95907686

We have just over two days to go before the closing of the Star Trek: The Next Generation project. Don't miss out on the cool rewards- backing the Kickstarter project will be the only way to get some of them!

Can we vote more than once?

Crownjo

I have no interest in the PC version since I already have it on XBLA. Still voted yes for you people who want it on PC!

microtubule

Farsight just posted a promo video showing most of the current and future tables. Around 2:44 a new table "Elvira and the Party Monsters" is shown.

Also, I did my part and voted for PA on Steam Greenlight!

Remy

Can we vote more than once?

Not only is it single vote, but you have to have a "paying customer" Steam account with some games in it to vote on Greenlight at all (as Steam has required with other functions and promotions that may involve business).

The thread on the TPA Facebook page with a bunch of people going "HOW DO I VOTE FOR THIS I DON'T UNDERSTAND" because they're not already Steam users is sort of horrifying.

Argh, had my best game of Medeival Madness so far. Had the king's gate open when I lost my last ball. 185 million.

To make matters worse I haven't updated my ps3 yet so my score didn't even get submitted to the leaderboards.

Shaneus

Not only is it single vote, but you have to have a "paying customer" Steam account with some games in it to vote on Greenlight at all (as Steam has required with other functions and promotions that may involve business).

The thread on the TPA Facebook page with a bunch of people going "HOW DO I VOTE FOR THIS I DON'T UNDERSTAND" because they're not already Steam users is sort of horrifying.
I'm actually surprised they didn't mention the Greenlight on the KS page for TNG. Even if it was only put there a few hours before the KS finished, it would've received far more publicity than if not.

BTW Zimbu, cows have a long history of being easter eggs in Williams games :) Obviously you wouldn't have known that at the time, but that's why there's a special sound in there.

Baron

A bit off topic, but pinball related - has anyone been to an arcade called The Pinball Wizard Arcade in New Hampshire? They have 108 pinball machines there. I've been thinking of driving up there, but it'll be 3.5 hours round trip from where I am in Rhode Island. I'm not sure I really want to make the drive.

VALIS

A bit off topic, but pinball related - has anyone been to an arcade called The Pinball Wizard Arcade in New Hampshire? They have 108 pinball machines there. I've been thinking of driving up there, but it'll be 3.5 hours round trip from where I am in Rhode Island. I'm not sure I really want to make the drive.

My wife and I are moving about 5-10 minutes away from there at the end of next month. To say I'm excited about this is the understatement of the year.

Shaneus

Oh, you bastard.

Actually, while I'm here... I was a bit bored last weekend, so I knocked this up:
3nfGm.png

It's basic as fuck and makes tilting a bitch, but as a proof-of-concept, it works far better than I could've imagined. I have the guts of another 360 pad that was used in a pre-made arcade stick so if I go any further, it'll be using that to make something a little more complete. Or I just buy one of those 360 PCB things that people use in arcade sticks and wire off that, because that'd be a hell of a lot easier than using an actual pad PCB to wire shit off. But as far as size goes, that box is nigh-on perfect (could maybe be a little wider).

And I'll definitely be using a proper housing for it too, so shut up :p

microtubule

There's a setting in options to disable multiball camera. It's not in the global options from the main menu, but it's in Help & Options from within the table menus.

It may have been added post-release, since I didn't see it until recently.

Thanks for the heads-up. I never liked the multiball camera.

Also starting to use #3 cam fixed but will need to get used to it because I've used #1 cam fixed for so long.

Shaneus

Haha, it really isn't... just connected some wires to the LB/RB, ran them out onto some female RCA connectors, did the same thing in the box so all I use is an RCA lead for it. Self-contained is the goal, but for now it's done it's job in proving that it's a feasible idea :)

I had a look at the arcade PCBs and you can't wire up (at all) an analogue stick to them, so tilt would be on/off and the plunger would be too. But this other pad I have I'll just unmount them from the PCB and they should slot onto the box somewhere fairly easily, probably the left stick just behind the left button and the right on the right, which to me, closely (enough) simulates a plunger and tilt.

i love the enthusiasm in this thread :)

i'm trying to tell myself to stop buying DLC until the PC version hits because i'm going to switch over to PC as my platform of choice and rebuy all the DLC so far. for some reason though, no matter how many times i tell myself this... i don't listen.

i'm really hoping the PC version is out by the time twilight zone and star trek TNG ship, since i already paid well above the normal table price for those.

somehow the PC version coming out first seems more likely than me growing some self control.

AcridMeat

Banned
The PC version will mean I can finally boast at Shaneus (he needs to buy it as well).

edit: And maybe we could have some sort of GAF pinball tourny. We'll call it the "Parallax Already Won" or something.

Shaneus

The PC version will mean I can finally boast at Shaneus (he needs to buy it as well).

edit: And maybe we could have some sort of GAF pinball tourny. We'll call it the "Parallax Already Won" or something.
What do you have it on? I'm sure you're my friend on XBL! Or even iOS or whatever.

jvm

Gamasutra.
FWIW my friend who has played the most Pinball Arcade on PS3 at my place said he thought it was much improved over last time. He thought the lag varied from table to table. Played at 720p.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The only thing that concerns me right now is that the frame rate seems to be getting worse on the Vita every time they patch it.

Right now Medieval Madness runs worse than ever, Black Hole is skipping frames, and I've gotten more judder on other tables.

Plus Black Hole's sound is broken now :(

Sucks because due to time issues I have more changes to play on Vita than PS3.

Wonko_C

The only thing that concerns me right now is that the frame rate seems to be getting worse on the Vita every time they patch it.

Right now Medieval Madness runs worse than ever, Black Hole is skipping frames, and I've gotten more judder on other tables.

Plus Black Hole's sound is broken now :(

Sucks because due to time issues I have more changes to play on Vita than PS3.

If by broken you mean when the "BGM" is interrupted by every other sound fx then that's how the real machine was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XabTKRvkEqY

Shaneus

Okay, inception moment - I tested the PS3 and 360 versions for comparison and the BGM beeping is always playing. I actually thought that's how it was supposed to be.
It's possible that they've got ROM emulation working for the Vita but not on the 360/PS3 yet (which would be weird) but that wouldn't make any sense. But definitely something that could be attributed to emulation vs scripting.

Wonko_C

It's possible that they've got ROM emulation working for the Vita but not on the 360/PS3 yet (which would be weird) but that wouldn't make any sense. But definitely something that could be attributed to emulation vs scripting.

My ps3 version acts like the original. I just finished playing.

ismaboof

Never really touched Monster Bash until this weekend. Great personality and sound. The frequency of multi balls and extra balls is almost excessive. Still a great time. Not as good as MM, but certainly a gooder. MM is still the best table, but Monster Bash + Gorgar is the best pack IMO so far.

microtubule

Just started playing Gorgar, really love that table. Now I need Black Knight as well!

Some DLC info thanks to PiN WiZ:

DLC Tables Pack #1 Release Dates : Medieval Madness and The Machine : Bride of Pin•Bot are AVAILABLE NOW! on Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, Mac, PS3 (NA), PS Vita (NA) and Xbox 360. They should also be available on PS3 (EU) and PS Vita (EU) on September 26th.

DLC Tables Pack #2 Release Dates : Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse are AVAILABLE NOW! on Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, Mac, PS3 (NA), PS Vita (NA) and Xbox 360. They should also be available on PS3 (EU) and PS Vita (EU) on October 10th.

DLC Tables Pack #3 Release Dates : Gorgar and Monster Bash are AVAILABLE NOW! on Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, Mac, PS3 (NA), PS Vita (NA) and Xbox 360. They should also be available on PS3 (EU) and PS Vita (EU) on October 24th.

DLC Tables Pack #4 Release Dates : Black Knight and Creature from the Black Lagoon are AVAILABLE NOW! on Android, iOS, Kindle Fire and Mac. They should also be available on PS3 (NA) and PS Vita (NA) on September 25th, Xbox 360 by the end of September and PS3 (EU) and PS Vita (EU) on November 7th.

DLC Tables Pack #5 Release Dates : Harley-Davidson Third Edition and Taxi are AVAILABLE NOW! on Android and Kindle Fire. They should also be available on iOS and Mac by mid September and PS3 (NA), PS Vita (NA) and Xbox 360 by the end of September. DLC Tables Pack #5 for the PS3 (EU) and PS Vita (EU) is scheduled to be submitted to SCEE for approval at the earliest date possible.

DLC Tables Pack #6 Release Dates : Elvira and the Party Monsters and No Good Gofers! release dates TBA.

Read the rest at the Pinball Arcade Forums

MONSTERS And GOFERS Invade The Pinball Arcade With DLC Tables Pack #6

jgkspsx

Most excellent. Four new tables coming this month, day 1 all of them. I'll give Harley a chance. If it's so bad, why did they choose it?

VALIS

Four new tables coming this month

Don't get your hopes up, unfortunately. Between FarSight's terrible QA and the lengthy amount of time it takes anything to get through XBLA, PSN and iOS, I'd be shocked if all four of those tables were available in the next two weeks.

depths20XX

The Harley and Taxi pack is the first time I'm kinda disappointed by the choices. I guess it's just the theme but it really doesn't seem interesting. Taxi looks like it could be ok, but I don't know anything about the Harley one other than it sounds stupid.

Gorgar is currently my favorite table and I will get into the top 5 eventually...

The Harley and Taxi pack is the first time I'm kinda disappointed by the choices. I guess it's just the theme but it really doesn't seem interesting. Taxi looks like it could be ok, but I don't know anything about the Harley one other than it sounds stupid.

Gorgar is currently my favorite table and I will get into the top 5 eventually...

i haven't played Taxi before, but it looks like a fun table. i like the theme and the characters and the alpha numerics have been surprising me a lot so far with how fun they are.

jvm

Gamasutra.
i haven't played Taxi before, but it looks like a fun table. i like the theme and the characters and the alpha numerics have been surprising me a lot so far with how fun they are.
Taxi is one of my favorites from the original Pinball Hall of Fame. I can't wait to have it again.

Top Bottom