• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

microtubule

I liked the PHOF version of Taxi as well. The sounds, the artwork it really brings me back to the 80's.

I don't think I've played the Harley table but it looks interesting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Taxi is nice, but I want Pinbot back.

I'm REALLY hoping for a Pinbot/Jackbot pack.

Do you hear me, devs? JACKBOT!!!

BiggNife

Taxi is a great table. Harley Davidson is...kinda mediocre.

I really really really hope we get Attack From Mars soon. I've been waiting six months!

Shaneus

I can't think of how long we've been waiting for fucking Taxi. Getting knocked back after they said it was basically coming out almost two weeks ago was a poor move on their part. At least say that it's "pending approval" first!

Still not out on iOS. For fuck's sake.

BiggNife

The Facebook page was recently updated. Update 6 (taxi and harley davidson) and Update 7(Elvira and no good gofers) are coming out together on ios by the end of the month. Update 7 for Android should come out at the same time.

AcridMeat

Banned
Bit off topic but I'll be going to the Pacific Pinball Expo Saturday!

The list is towards the bottom of the page. Anything in particular I should look out for? I've never played F-14 Tomcat or Monster Bash, so I'm looking forward to those as well as trying out Jack Bot and Revenge from Mars. Also whatever Sinbad is.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bit off topic but I'll be going to the Pacific Pinball Expo Saturday!

The list is towards the bottom of the page. Anything in particular I should look out for? I've never played F-14 Tomcat or Monster Bash, so I'm looking forward to those as well as trying out Jack Bot and Revenge from Mars. Also whatever Sinbad is.

I remember playing F-14 Tomcat at an ice rink in Michigan while my brother was at hockey practice when I was younger. I have fond memories of that one.

Looking down that list, make sure to try "Diner." I believe it's based on the movie, and it's REALLY underrated. I also loved "Police Force," which is from the same Williams era as "Pinbot." "Rollergames" is great, too.

Shaneus

The Facebook page was recently updated. Update 6 (taxi and harley davidson) and Update 7(Elvira and no good gofers) are coming out together on ios by the end of the month. Update 7 for Android should come out at the same time.
I bet they don't. I bet one of them has been knocked back.

Shaneus

*Checks iOS* nope, still nothing. I'm sure they would've submitted before all these other apps added iOS6 "support"! Seriously, what the hell?!?

Anyone have news about the delay from FB or PAF?

dchavez

*Checks iOS* nope, still nothing. I'm sure they would've submitted before all these other apps added iOS6 "support"! Seriously, what the hell?!?

Anyone have news about the delay from FB or PAF?

See a few posts up, they've combined the last 2 packs, should be out by end of month.

Shaneus

Oh, so they've held Taxi back completely then? Hopefully they'll still sell them either all individually or as two double packs. If I have to buy three individually to avoid spending extra on HD, I'll be not real happy.

AcridMeat

Banned
Road Show

I'm going to go to the Ohio one in the spring.
I remember playing F-14 Tomcat at an ice rink in Michigan while my brother was at hockey practice when I was younger. I have fond memories of that one.

Looking down that list, make sure to try "Diner." I believe it's based on the movie, and it's REALLY underrated. I also loved "Police Force," which is from the same Williams era as "Pinbot." "Rollergames" is great, too.
Thanks for the suggestions, I've made a note of them!

Parallax is insane.

I used to think Medieval Madness had a limit on the number of extra balls it gives out during a game, but now it doesn't seem like it. Royal Madness stops giving them out after a while, but you can keep earning them elsewhere after that.

Shaneus

Thanks for the suggestions, I've made a note of them!

Parallax is insane.
I'm a stupidly big fan of Steve Ritchie titles, so I'd be checking out Firepower, the Black Knights, High Speed (no Getaway, by the looks of it :( ) and obviously F-14 and Rollergames.

Whitewater is supposedly a great one as well. I've never played it, but a mate owns one and has said he'd happily lend it to me once I have a living area with room for it! Look at some YT videos of it, it's a great looking pin.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm a stupidly big fan of Steve Ritchie titles, so I'd be checking out Firepower, the Black Knights, High Speed (no Getaway, by the looks of it :( ) and obviously F-14 and Rollergames.

Whitewater is supposedly a great one as well. I've never played it, but a mate owns one and has said he'd happily lend it to me once I have a living area with room for it! Look at some YT videos of it, it's a great looking pin.
Yeah Steve Ritchie stuff is pretty darn fun. I've played the Black Knights and High Speed but no Firepower! Actually I didn't enjoy High Speed that much when I played it, granted it was only a couple times.

Shaneus

I've watched people play games in tournaments of other tables and there's all too much catching and basically zero flow. I love the fact that with almost all his tables, they encourage flowing play which IMO requires far more skill.

I've watched people play games in tournaments of other tables and there's all too much catching and basically zero flow. I love the fact that with almost all his tables, they encourage flowing play which IMO requires far more skill.

That's a good point. Black Knight in particular is like nonstop action.

microtubule

Also, didn't FarSight complain that the reason why Pinball Arcade isn't on Steam is because Valve said there isn't a demand for pinball games?

If that's the case, why did "Dream Pinball 3D" come out on Steam today while Pinball Arcade has to fend for itself in Greenlight?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215790/

Yes, mind boggling! There has to be more to this story.

I am sure hundreds of us also contacted Valve before Greenlight requesting that Pinball Arcade come to Steam.

FyreWulff

It's not exactly new in the industry. Got told that a game I worked on's XBLA version was de-greenlit by Microsoft because they were no longer interested in that genre for XBLA (and as far as I know, there wasn't a game in that genre before ours). Then a couple months later, a dev with a pre-existing relationship with MS released a game in the same exact genre.

Corporate politics dot jaypeg

Shaneus

That's a good point. Black Knight in particular is like nonstop action.
Yup! Which is why I prefer the pre-DMD tables. DMDs introduced too many time-specific skill shots that relied on you making a specific target within a very specific time. Prior to that, the best you could judge countdowns by was sonically.

A lot of the newer Steve Ritchie tables don't play as quickly because of that (IMO) but the older ones like BK, Firepower and F-14 are all reliant on split-second reflexes and not an ability to aim for a target, regardless of time constraints.

I think it says a lot that someone like Pat Lawlor said that he designs tables to be like a theme park whereas Ritchie designs tables to be quick. Thankfully, Mark Ritchie manages to fit somewhere perfectly in-between... just look at Taxi, the first Indy and Fish Tales.

AcridMeat

Banned
I always felt that statement was a little off since Valve has a huge variety of games on Steam. There's definitely something else going on.
My gut tells me it has to do with the stability of the game at the time. There are plenty of bugs that have been in the packs and patches breaking other things so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

However there have been unstable games on Steam before so who knows.

depths20XX

Got 9th on the leaderboards in Gorgar today. Gotta get dat top 5, very close.

Looking forward to the new tables on the 25th for PS3/Vita. Haven't heard much about those two pins though.

AcridMeat

Banned
So I spent a good 8 hours total at the Pacific Pinball Expo Saturday and had a ton of fun! Friends didn't want to come with me, but still thoroughly enjoyed myself and met a lot of cool people there.

Unfortunately a lot of the tables listed were not there the day I went. Things like the Black Knight tables and TNG. I did get to play F-14 Tomcat finally, which kept breaking and was a little disappointed for how hyped it had been.

As a result I played lots of Attack from Mars, played Revenge as well, Taxi, World Cup Soccer which is still one of my favorites, Pin-Bot, Addams Family, Twilight Zone, Doctor Who, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Medieval Madness and "last" but not least Monster Bash.

I played others like the new AC/DC and X-Men and tried Earthshaker for the first time but those are all the really notable ones.

Apparently this was the last time the show is happening, as the museum is trying to get a larger permanent space. They're hoping to get a place in San Francisco which will have over 400 tables and be open year round.

Here are some crappy pictures with more tables I played/didn't mention. I was pretty crappy at everything, even tables I know well. I had almost 1 billion in World Cup Soccer one game, 38 million in a game of Medieval and 149 million in Monster Bash.

Top Bottom