• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

depths20XX

Very nice, keep at it! What are top scores like on PS3?

On PS3 it combines Vita/PS3/Mobile (guessing this is iOS devices?) on the leaderboards.

On Gorgar the top 5 scores are 2mill+ with the highest score being 4 million something.

I'm around 1.8m right now but I feel like I could get 2.

What's your name on the boards btw?

Gamertag is ParallaxScroll, but I play the Xbox version which has its own leaderboard. The top Gorgar score there was a little over 5 million last time I looked.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So I spent a good 8 hours total at the Pacific Pinball Expo Saturday and had a ton of fun! Friends didn't want to come with me, but still thoroughly enjoyed myself and met a lot of cool people there.

Unfortunately a lot of the tables listed were not there the day I went. Things like the Black Knight tables and TNG. I did get to play F-14 Tomcat finally, which kept breaking and was a little disappointed for how hyped it had been.

As a result I played lots of Attack from Mars, played Revenge as well, Taxi, World Cup Soccer which is still one of my favorites, Pin-Bot, Addams Family, Twilight Zone, Doctor Who, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Medieval Madness and "last" but not least Monster Bash.

I played others like the new AC/DC and X-Men and tried Earthshaker for the first time but those are all the really notable ones.

Apparently this was the last time the show is happening, as the museum is trying to get a larger permanent space. They're hoping to get a place in San Francisco which will have over 400 tables and be open year round.

Here are some crappy pictures with more tables I played/didn't mention. I was pretty crappy at everything, even tables I know well. I had almost 1 billion in World Cup Soccer one game, 38 million in a game of Medieval and 149 million in Monster Bash.

YES! I love World Cup Soccer. Highly doubtful we ever see it on Pinball Arcade, though :(

Shaneus

No sign on iOS. Eagerly awaiting a number of numerous bugs to plague this one, especially given there are twice the amount of tables.

Ok, every time I try to boot up the PS3 version it goes to a black screen and never loads. Sometimes I can get it to start after restarting the PS3, but not after this update. Has anyone else had this problem?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Ok, every time I try to boot up the PS3 version it goes to a black screen and never loads. Sometimes I can get it to start after restarting the PS3, but not after this update. Has anyone else had this problem?
Nope, sorry. Using newest version and new DLC, no problems.

Black Knight ... so good.

microtubule

Sounds like Black Knight is pretty good! Glad that PSN NA and Vita NA got pack #4 today, maybe pack #4 on tomorrow (Wednesday) for XBLA?

I always felt that statement was a little off since Valve has a huge variety of games on Steam. There's definitely something else going on.

It's not like FarSight are the only company to have experienced this with Steam though, is it? Steam also rejected Zen Studios' Pinball FX2, even after it had proved to be very successful on XBL. For exactly the same reason.

I really doubt FarSight wanted to go through the community greenlight process if they didn't have to.

Shaneus

it should be, but it'll probably get pulled for some ridiculous reason like normal.
That's why I'm not confident for the iOS one coming out this week. Twice the number of tables, twice the chance something will hold it back. I hope they DID do what people suggested and in that month they didn't release anything, they bug fixed the shit out of every table.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
CFTBL is just as good as I remember, but the slowdown on the Vita is awful.

As for Black Knight, it's a good game but is overshadowed by the superior Black Knight 2000.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The framerate on the Vita build's tables is definitely not good right now. I'm assuming it's due to their emulation engine. I would hope that something on their list is optimization once things become more bug tested. Considering how powerful the Vita is, leaving the performance in this state is kinda embarrassing.

Supposedly they're still optimizing the 360 version of the next DLC pack, which implies it hasn't been submitted to Microsoft yet.

i'm really trying to hold out for the PC version before buying anymore DLC. this project greenlight stuff is not filling me with hope though. they said it's basically ready to go though right? damnit Valve.

i'd rather get buggy ass tables ASAP than wait indefinately for them to maybe show up for an hour and then get pulled for another week or two.

I swear i just read that the pack would be out by the end of September for 360. Oh well, at least the PS3 version is out. I just hate having to adjust my settings to 720p everytime i play.

Black Knight on PS3 is running like a Piecer! It has crazy glitches and really bad input lag! The Pinball Hall Of Fame version played so much better! This is really sad Farsight! :-(

Benedict

Farsight and Sony fucks up again and again and again...
Table Pack 1 that was delayed and that was supposed to be cross-buy for PS3/Vita is not in EU.
Bought the DLC when it was released for PS3 last week in the mindset of getting it for "free" for Vita.
Saw that there was no download bubble for Vita, have been waiting almost patiently for it to be released this week. Turned on my Vita, opened up the store and was greeted to a price-tag.

LLShC.gif

Black Knight on PS3 is running like a Piecer! It has crazy glitches and really bad input lag! The Pinball Hall Of Fame version played so much better! This is really sad Farsight! :-(

I caved and bought the last two packs for the PS3 version even though I much prefer the X360 version...and I already regret it. BK and BftBL are both muddier-looking and still laggy-feeling compared to what I've been used to. *sigh* I guess I expected that newest bigass patch for the PS3 version to change the input lag at 1080p. Wish they'd cap it at 720p like some games and then tweak the appearance to suit the lower res. The game looks so bad and aliased compared to 1080p. Then, when looking at the X360 and PS3 versions back to back, the difference seems even more clear going from one HD res to the other between them. Annoying.

I caved and bought the last two packs for the PS3 version even though I much prefer the X360 version...and I already regret it. BK and BftBL are both muddier-looking and still laggy-feeling compared to what I've been used to. *sigh* I guess I expected that newest bigass patch for the PS3 version to change the input lag at 1080p. Wish they'd cap it at 720p like some games and then tweak the appearance to suit the lower res. The game looks so bad and aliased compared to 1080p. Then, when looking at the X360 and PS3 versions back to back, the difference seems even more clear going from one HD res to the other between them. Annoying.

Yeah i agree it is frustrating. The Vita version seems really good so far though. I just wish they would get these packs caught up on the 360.

i haven't caved yet. i tested the latest patch before buying any more PS3 tables. i hope to hold strong until the PC version or Wii U version at this point.

Cardigan

Am I crazy or did the progress bar for Stream Greenlight games disappear? How are we supposed to know how much support a game is getting? Does anyone know how many votes the games that are currently Greenlit received?

Plinko

Thank heavens I'm not spoiled then. :) I love me some Black Knight.

Black Knight is great, but the absolutely hilarious vocals in the music on Black Knight 2000 make it even better. According to online sources, the music was created by Dan Forden, who did the music for the Mortal Kombat series.

Minsc

Gold Member
iOS update is finally out:

What's New in Version 1.1.8
Taxi + Harley Davidson 3rd Edition

Not much info as to what it fixes / breaks... or if there's full iPhone 5 support (probably not).

Edit: It does! No more black bars. They must have done some under the hood fixing all around, because all the tables need to re-download now as well (though it could just be the iPhone 5 support I guess).

Edit2: It also includes Elvira and the Party Monsters + No Good Gofers! as well.

BiggNife

Table Pack 7 is Scared Stiff and Big Shot

WHY HAVEN'T THEY RELEASED ATTACK FROM MARS YET?????????????????

ugh I'm getting antsy

DirtyLary

I remember playing F-14 Tomcat at an ice rink in Michigan while my brother was at hockey practice when I was younger. I have fond memories of that one.

Same. My father was a pinball junkie. At one time he owned bpth High Speed and F14 Tomcat. Played on those tables daily for a few years.

I hope to acquire those pins for myself one day.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Black Knight is great, but the absolutely hilarious vocals in the music on Black Knight 2000 make it even better. According to online sources, the music was created by Dan Forden, who did the music for the Mortal Kombat series.
Oh, I've no doubt it's good if y'all like it. :)

Any chance it's been mentioned for Pinball Arcade?

dkeane

Others getting the error saying you need to be connected to the Internet to but the new tables?
Will they ever release this game without crazy bugs?

Shaneus

iOS update is finally out:

Not much info as to what it fixes / breaks... or if there's full iPhone 5 support (probably not).

Edit: It does! No more black bars. They must have done some under the hood fixing all around, because all the tables need to re-download now as well (though it could just be the iPhone 5 support I guess).

Edit2: It also includes Elvira and the Party Monsters + No Good Gofers! as well.
God damnit. Every time I go into buy Taxi it asks me to restore purchases, then no matter what I do it says I have to connect to the internet. Fuuuuuck.

So, what's the verdict on HD? Should I save a buck or two by getting Taxi on it's own, or spend the little bit extra for HD?

Does anyone know who designed it?

Remy

Farsight is claiming on Facebook that the in-app purchase issue is with Apple and they're seeking assistance from them.

Still...

bonged.gif

Shaneus

Yeah. I'm claiming that it's been two fucking months since I played a new table on Pinball Arcade. Regardless of whose fault it is, I'm fucking over it.

Shaneus

According to their FB it's an issue with Apple and it worked prior to everything being submitted. Makes sense, there's no way there'd be such an oversight by Apple testers when they've picked up on such miniscule things in the past.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So they revised their schedule for EU PSN from every two weeks to every week.

Farsight Newsletter said:
European PS3/Vita Release Dates:

Table Pack 1: Medieal Madness™ and Bride of Pinbot™ was released on Sept 19th.

Table Pack 2: Cirqus Voltaire™ and Funhouse™ is to be released on Oct. 3rd.

Table Pack 3: Gorgar™ and Monster Bash™ is to be released on Oct. 10th.

Table Pack 4: Creature from the Black Lagoon™ and Black Knight™ is to be released on Oct. 17th.

Table Pack 5: Harley Davidson, Third Edition™ and Taxi™ is to be released on Oct. 24th.

Table Pack 6: Elvira and the Party Monsters™ and No Good Gofers™ is to be released on Oct. 31st.

I so want to believe them, but I'm a little skeptical.

VALIS

I'm almost embarrassed for pouring as much money into PA as I have to this point. When it works it's my favorite game out there right now bar none, but every new update brings tales of fresh new bugs and general incompetence.

VALIS

Well, hush my mouf, everything's working for me now, just bought all four new tables on iOS. Was this one not actually FarSight's fault? Amazing. OK, time to play pinball to 6am...

Shaneus

Yup, just tested, all working. Turns out, $5.49 for two is about $2.50 more than I'm willing to spend on Taxi and HD. So, Taxi it is.

Two Stern games I haven't bought on iOS. Go figure.

So they revised their schedule for EU PSN from every two weeks to every week.

When do we get the patch that fixes the input lag? I'm still at 1.02.

Does any of the patches we don't have on PSN in Europe yet fix the bounciness/lightness of the balls? I bought the first table pack a few days ago and one of the first thing that happened on Medieval Madness was that a ball just bounced on a flipper and went all the way up to the bumper area. It feels as if the balls don't lose any momentum when they hit something, they just change direction.

Shaneus

Here's the verdict so far:

Taxi. Fucking love it. Plays beautifully, looks fantastic.

Elvira & the Party Monsters - Table looks very flat, like a lot of the tables do when they're first released. A little contrasty, too. Actually, I think a lot of the tables are looking a little too contrasty and bright for my liking... I think they've tweaked something.
No Good Gofers - Never really got into this on WPC so it's kind of hard to judge, but the off-center flippers really throw my game. And it's a Lawlor table too, so naturally there are lots of targets and hidden shots, but not many ramps.
Black Knight - It's fixed! The upper-left flipper still isn't as visible as it should be, but it's better. The lighting has been improved tenfold. Speed *feels* fan-fucking-tastic. Magnasave buttons moved to the bottom corners of the screen.
Medieval Madness - Didn't download a new table so I don't think anything's changed. Doesn't feel that way, at least. Same with Arabian Nights.
ToM - Got a new table, but I couldn't pick anything drastically different. Another table that felt too contrasty.
Monster Bash - Some table stuff has been fixed (first thing I noticed was that the "Gill" lights are a lot clearer) but couldn't pick a difference in how it played.
CftBL - The transparent ramps are a lot less transparent and cover a lot of the top of the playfield, particularly targets etc. IMO. I wonder if anyone else reports the same thing.

I don't think there was anything else noticeable in this update. I did see that there seems to be a new tilt option (unless I just never saw it), there's now swipe, touchscreen, shake and off. I believe touchscreen is the new one, where you just touch it to nudge, with no varying degree of force. Seems to work well. I also tried swipe again, but couldn't get it to go in one direction, only left-to-right.

Definitely a BIG upgrade, but I'm curious to see what others' opinions are on it.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't think there was anything else noticeable in this update. I did see that there seems to be a new tilt option (unless I just never saw it), there's now swipe, touchscreen, shake and off. I believe touchscreen is the new one, where you just touch it to nudge, with no varying degree of force. Seems to work well. I also tried swipe again, but couldn't get it to go in one direction, only left-to-right.

Definitely a BIG upgrade, but I'm curious to see what others' opinions are on it.

Nice impressions / summary. You missed that you can finally rotate the phone during play to switch between landscape and portrait modes (I think this is new anyway), which is a nice addition. Unfortunately the camera modes for landscape on an iPhone 5 generally seem all wrong (all views cut off half the flippers), but I believe they are aware and working on fixing it, like everything else.

Hopefully a few more updates down the road and after the release of Twilight Zone they re-do their UI / table select to something better. Even Pinball HD's simple method of scrolling over 5 tables per flick, with fullscreen previews would be welcome. So would Pinball HD's save state system where you can jump between any number of tables to your last game in progress for that particular table, but I could see how that might be considered cheating if you don't earn a score all in one go vs a few hours a day over a week or more.

Shaneus

Thanks!
Nice impressions / summary. You missed that you can finally rotate the phone during play to switch between landscape and portrait modes (I think this is new anyway), which is a nice addition. Unfortunately the camera modes for landscape on an iPhone 5 generally seem all wrong (all views cut off half the flippers), but I believe they are aware and working on fixing it, like everything else.
I could've sworn I saw that, but when I tried to do it again it wouldn't. Maybe it's only for the new/some tables? Fake edit: Just tried on Taxi, it does it during the main menu, but even if you pause it it definitely doesn't rotate. At least, that's what happens on my 4S... but maybe there's another table that does.

Hopefully a few more updates down the road and after the release of Twilight Zone they re-do their UI / table select to something better. Even Pinball HD's simple method of scrolling over 5 tables per flick, with fullscreen previews would be welcome. So would Pinball HD's save state system where you can jump between any number of tables to your last game in progress for that particular table, but I could see how that might be considered cheating if you don't earn a score all in one go vs a few hours a day over a week or more.
Yeah, they need to so something about the UI. And also they need to let me hide Harley Davidson and Ripley's so I don't scroll over them each time... I'm not buying them no matter how much they pressure me ;) But if I had to guess, I'd almost think that if they were planning a UI overhaul soon, they'd do it especially for TZ. Given they have to somehow implement things like operator modes (I think that was in the TZ KS?) and ball selection, I doubt they'd stick with the current system they have now.

BTW Did you notice the bug that sometimes Elvira comes up with a Stern logo? Tres lol.

microtubule

Looks like the XBL releases have stalled:

DLC Tables Pack #4 Release Dates And Time Frames : Black Knight and Creature from the Black Lagoon are AVAILABLE NOW! on Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, Mac, PS3 (NA) and PS Vita (NA). They should also be available on PS3 (EU) and PS Vita (EU) on October 17th. Xbox 360 release time frame TBD.

DLC Tables Pack #5 Release Dates And Time Frames : Harley-Davidson Third Edition and Taxi are AVAILABLE NOW! on Android, iOS, Kindle Fire and Mac. They should also be available on PS3 (NA) and PS Vita (NA) on October 17th and PS3 (EU) and PS Vita (EU) on October 24th. Xbox 360 release time frame TBD.

DLC Tables Pack #6 Release Dates And Time Frames : Elvira and the Party Monsters and No Good Gofers! are AVAILABLE NOW! on Android and iOS. They should also be available on Kindle Fire and Mac by mid October and PS3 (NA/EU) and PS Vita (NA/EU) on October 31st. Xbox 360 release time frame TBD.

DLC Tables Pack #7 Release Dates And Time Frames : Big Shot and Scared Stiff Coming Soon!

More info here

Shaneus

Just makes it easier to hold off for the PC release.

PS. I want my Firepower. It should've been released already... at least, before Gorgar.

Top Bottom