• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Where was this confirmed? As of right now there's no dlc on TPA's steam page. You only see the packs once you're in game. I was curious if they would be eligible for a steam sale or not.
Boom.
Mike Reitmeyer said:
I talked with Steam today. We are setting it up so that the Season and Season Pro packs can be bought through the DLC page on the Steam store (as well as the current method in game). This will allow gifting of Season packs.

Single Table Packs, Pro Packs, Pro Upgrades, and Custom Balls will still be bought only in game.

That company is weird.

Massively multiplatform engine? check.
Emulated roms? check.
High detail physics sim? check.
Working gui? fuck it, too hard.
Didn't they have someone working on an entirely new GUI? I have a vague recollection that was supposed to be done for PS4 and it would roll out to all other platforms as "v2.0", but I haven't seen mention of it for months.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think the achievements are busted in the Steam version. I completed the standard goals in No Good Gofers and got some more high scores, and nothing.

I asked on PAF if that was true. I also asked the OP in that thread why it might not be true. Fuck knows.

I mean, it's true that it's no longer on the launch list in the FAQ, as stated, so I'm guessing it not being at launch is more likely than not... but yeah. I've been holding off pulling the trigger on the season packs for a loooooooong time, and the PC version isn't making it any easier.

Small delay, I wait and get them on PS4. Long delay, I get them on PC.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think the achievements are busted in the Steam version. I completed the standard goals in No Good Gofers and got some more high scores, and nothing.

The did say if you use the pro mode features to alter anything from standard settings the achievements are disabled for your game, and I suppose if your internet connection is flaky perhaps that may effect it as well..

No PS4/Vita cross buy, but possible cross discount. See a few pages back .

This pretty much kills any interest I have in the PS4 version.

Have to rebuy all my content (albeit with discount)? Check.
Fewer tables at launch? Check.
Don't get free Vita versions anymore (no, "remote play" doesn't count)? Check.

What reason do I have to upgrade when the PS4 version seems to be at this point the lesser of the two versions?

Minsc

Gold Member
This pretty much kills any interest I have in the PS4 version.

Have to rebuy all my content (albeit with discount)? Check.
Fewer tables at launch? Check.
Don't get free Vita versions anymore (no, "remote play" doesn't count)? Check.

What reason do I have to upgrade when the PS4 version seems to be at this point the lesser of the two versions?

Well the main draw I think is the significantly improved graphics and lighting engine. Once we start getting more screens of the PS4 version, I think people will want to upgrade.

nexen

Been trying to tune the game for best perf/least input lag.
On my rig that is windowed fullscreen, ball reflections OFF. (note, this can exhibit tearing, depending on the exact frame rate you are actually getting)

The ball reflections are stupid expensive on my machine, (30fps cost on Funhouse!) but only when windowed. Must be executing some slow path in the driver or something. Such an icing feature too.

Well the main draw I think is the significantly improved graphics and lighting engine. Once we start getting more screens of the PS4 version, I think people will want to upgrade.

No frame lag! That's a big draw too.

Farsight are trolling me now I think. I'd sent them an email a couple of days ago, thanking them for switching over my kickstarter rewards to the PC version, and I'd mentioned I was looking forwards to the PS4 version.

Two days later, I get another e-mail from them. Why? I don't know!

Farsight troll said:
Awesome!! Glad to hear it's working! We're excited for people to try out the PS4 version soon, as well :D

'soon'? SOON? oh goddamn you and your indeterminable measures of time. goddamn you and your little :D smiley faces of joy.

you're torturing me, and we both know it. don't pretend like you don't know it. don't think that all your exclamation marks cover over all the poisonous intent. don't think they hide the thorns and stings hidden behind your words, raking over my flesh, torturing me. tormenting me.

there was a time, a blissful time, when I bought DLC for a pinball game I really enjoyed.

it seems so long ago now. now, I am bitter and twisted. playing the demos of the tables I should already own over and over on the PC version. I bet they're watching my account. Laughing at me every time my games get short because I reached a high score.

they know they have broken me.

and now they laugh as they make me dance the dance of a pitiful addict.

pitiful... but not pitied. that is what they have made me.

my dreams, of a day, of owning all these tables on the one platform that makes the most sense for me... have had their faces smashed in. their shattered teeth have been collected and are now gritting the roads of big bear California. their smiling Mayor, now the demon who haunts my sleep.

this isn't that big an exaggeration.

Coming from PS3/Vita to PC it was nice being able to play at 1080p with AA on.

I still noted some flipper/input lag, sadly. It was about as bad as my PS3 was when I don't set it to 720p.

Then I came across this link - http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/6365-If-you-re-experiencing-flipper-delay-in-TPA-PC-version-please-read-this. I changed my nVidia driver settings for the TPA executable as recommended and now it plays perfectly! Blissful, proper, response!

I almost feel bad there's no discount for cross platform purchases, but I console myself by having my collection on the Vita. Now to buy them again for the definitive PC versions while hoping for better textures to come...

I hope this helps!

Wonko_C

The little angel who has my face whispers in my right ear that I should wait for the PS4 version with its improved lightning and lights on/off modes. The little devil whispers to my left ear that I should just stick with the Steam version, as it will probably be updated as fast as the mobile versions, be backwards compatible forever, and it'll likely get the PS4 improvements down the line.

Ah, whatever, I just bought a table pack (lovely Centaur), I can't afford a PS4 yet anyway.

Nitemare1

The little angel who has my face whispers in my right ear that I should wait for the PS4 version with its improved lightning and lights on/off modes. The little devil whispers to my left ear that I should just stick with the Steam version, as it will probably be updated as fast as the mobile versions, be backwards compatible forever, and it'll likely get the PS4 improvements down the line.

Ah, whatever, I just bought a table pack (lovely Centaur), I can't afford a PS4 yet anyway.

I follow the pinball arcade on facebook and every once in a while a podcast shows up there. They said the ps4 lighting improvements will be coming to the steam version early next year. I want to say they said Januaryish but Im not 100% sure.

Here's a link to the podcast / interview if anyone is interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLxe69Rkewg

EDIT: He starts talking about the PC version at around 6:10. Says that DX11 and new lighting support shouldnt take too long. but then says a matter of months.

I follow the pinball arcade on facebook and every once in a while a podcast shows up there. They said the ps4 lighting improvements will be coming to the steam version early next year. I want to say they said Januaryish but Im not 100% sure.

I trust farsight's dates at this point about as far as I trust Valve's.

Shaneus

Well, they have to given the whole cabinet thing. I'd imagine portrait support would come along far earlier than that, however.

Wow, I've just realised that my monitor stand can swivel and rotate on both axis'. That means I too could utilise portrait AND tilt the monitor on an angle to simulate a virtual table kinda.

Minsc

Gold Member
They confirmed portrait mode on PC according to PAF:

Via Facebook:

"Downloading the game will get you the full version of Tales of the Arabian Nights, and all other Table Packs that we've released on any platforms are immediately available for purchase! Over time, we will be adding more and more awesome features, such as Tournaments and Online Head-to-Head, as well as DirectX 11 dynamic lighting and graphics upgrades, and starting with an update today: portrait display mode!"

Supposedly there's a fix for the Post Processing issues on AMD gpus, involving Radeon Pro + setting the flip queue to 1, but I think I need to upgrade my drivers to get it working, I didn't have any luck.

Shaneus

Same here. It's a little better for me, but that could be placebo or it could be me tinkering with downsampling. Certainly hasn't "fixed" it.

Minsc

Gold Member
I presume this patch for portrait mode isn't live yet. I just quickly tested it and the same issues as before remain.

Looking at the thread I linked, they changed it from "today" to "soon," it seems there's a need for Valve to approve their game updates or something... strange. I always though Steam game updates had no approval to pass after the initial approval. The build with portrait mode sounds like it's just waiting for the green light from Valve now.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I had another million point game in Firepower on the Vita version. All I need is the maximum bonus and I'll have all the wizard goals completed.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
One thing that would get me to buy the PC version again (over all the Vita stuff) is if they could accurately model live catches. I feel like they still haven't figured that out in a way to replicate the real game yet.

Wonko_C

One thing that would get me to buy the PC version again (over all the Vita stuff) is if they could accurately model live catches. I feel like they still haven't figured that out in a way to replicate the real game yet.

I had no idea what does live catch mean so I googled it and found out I sometimes pull it out, without being really conscious about it. Am I weird?

(And I still kinda suck at pinball. :p)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had no idea what does live catch mean so I googled it and found out I sometimes pull it out, without being really conscious about it. Am I weird?

(And I still kinda suck at pinball. :p)

I've found that you can get it to work once in a blue moon...It's more luck than it is skill like a real table. But if it's something you're alb to do consistently in TPA, I'm jelly.

Finally getting to play this with my X-Arcade and its side buttons is bliss. I've noticed a few slowdowns at times, but FRAPS is still showing 60FPS, so I guess the emulation is hitting it hard at times.

I'm so grateful it's finally on PC.

AcridMeat

Banned
Finally getting to play this with my X-Arcade and its side buttons is bliss. I've noticed a few slowdowns at times, but FRAPS is still showing 60FPS, so I guess the emulation is hitting it hard at times.

I'm so grateful it's finally on PC.
I don't think leaderboards are working for me on the PC version. I don't have a TNG score saved and there aren't any friend scores on either table I have.

I don't live-catch or drop-catch in PA since the game doesn't support them very well, but I never learned how to do either of those on a real machine either.

I don't think leaderboards are working for me on the PC version. I don't have a TNG score saved and there aren't any friend scores on either table I have.

Odd. I can see my LOW scores in the leaderboards, but I tend to be a hermit so I have no friends. I think they are working on integrating Steam friends into the leaderboards, but my local ones are definitely showing up.

It is much harder to live catch than on a real table. Nudge passes are doable as are post passes, but the threshold for timing is a bit off from real tables. I think it's quite good, and I now prefer it to VPinMame. Maybe it's just acclimation.

Shaneus

It is much harder to live catch than on a real table. Nudge passes are doable as are post passes, but the threshold for timing is a bit off from real tables. I think it's quite good, and I now prefer it to VPinMame. Maybe it's just acclimation.
Inability to live catch (well) is a result of TPA lacking two things: ball spin and the ability to "flutter" the flippers. I still don't know if they'll ever implement it, going by the lack of enthusiasm on the subject at the PAF forums :(

Gigarator

So I tried the steam version and loved the TOTAN table that you get for free, there are so many little things on there and a bunch of fun ways to score points. I'm looking to buy a couple more tables and would like some that are similarly feature rich, does anybody have any suggestions?

ShaneB

So I tried the steam version and loved the TOTAN table that you get for free, there are so many little things on there and a bunch of fun ways to score points. I'm looking to buy a couple more tables and would like some that are similarly feature rich, does anybody have any suggestions?

Medieval Madness is a must.

AcridMeat

Banned
Odd. I can see my LOW scores in the leaderboards, but I tend to be a hermit so I have no friends. I think they are working on integrating Steam friends into the leaderboards, but my local ones are definitely showing up.
That explains that. I saw I think shaneus in the Tales leaderboard.

Hi Gigarator. I agree Medieval Madness is one of the best. That pack comes with Bride of Pin-Bot which is one of my favorites as well.

Others for me would be Monster Bash, Attack from Mars, Champion Pub and Star Trek. Fortunately they all have trials so you can test any out.

Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, No Good Gofers, Attack From Mars

Gigarator

Alright I ended up buying the first season pack, man that Medieval Madness table is a ton of fun! Thanks for the recommendation on that one. I've had a quick go of Attack from Mars which also seems like a blast.

Star Trek I'm not so sure about yet, I swear the ball goes down the sides way too often to be true to the real machine, seems a little unfair.

AcridMeat

Banned
Alright I ended up buying the first season pack, man that Medieval Madness table is a ton of fun! Thanks for the recommendation on that one. I've had a quick go of Attack from Mars which also seems like a blast.

Star Trek I'm not so sure about yet, I swear the ball goes down the sides way too often to be true to the real machine, seems a little unfair.
I definitely see what you're saying. I just think the theme is excellent and it's interesting to play. In person it feels a bit cheap as well, but that could be the magnetism they set as well. :p

I enjoy tables that have big "moments", which is why I love things like Bride of Pin-Bot, MM, Attack from Mars, Monster Bash. Each of them have things where you're watching something physically destroying, or pauses in the action to see a bunch of monsters rocking out, or a ship exploding, or hearing one of the most satisfying voice samples for me in all of pinball "My god, she's alive!"

I bought both season packs on Steam a few days ago.

I've already sunk 22 hours into this game. I think I'm in love. I always enjoyed pinball but now I'm addicted. And it feels sooo good. Taxi, Elvira and the Party Monsters and Attack From Mars are my current addictions.

Question: is Cirqus Voltaire broken on all platforms, or just iPad? I'm talking about the problem of locking the balls confusing the game. This was my favorite table in the game until it was broken, and a number of updates have gone by without it getting fixed.

Shaneus

Question: is Cirqus Voltaire broken on all platforms, or just iPad? I'm talking about the problem of locking the balls confusing the game. This was my favorite table in the game until it was broken, and a number of updates have gone by without it getting fixed.
I've never put a lot of time into that game, but from what I understand it still has a few bugs that are yet to be fixed. That sounds like it could be one of them (but don't take my word for it).

Minsc

Gold Member
Looking at the thread I linked, they changed it from "today" to "soon," it seems there's a need for Valve to approve their game updates or something... strange. I always though Steam game updates had no approval to pass after the initial approval. The build with portrait mode sounds like it's just waiting for the green light from Valve now.

Just to update on this, I saw that it was posted the reason for needing a review by Valve to push the update this time is because it also will potentially (if approved) bring the season table pack purchasing to the Steam storefront as well, as opposed to just in-game. So if that happens in the next few days, along with the portrait mode support, that will be great.

I bought both season packs on Steam a few days ago.

I've already sunk 22 hours into this game. I think I'm in love. I always enjoyed pinball but now I'm addicted. And it feels sooo good. Taxi, Elvira and the Party Monsters and Attack From Mars are my current addictions.

I don't remember anything related to locking balls, but Cirqus is generally one of the buggiest tables in PA.

AcridMeat

Banned
I just realized that now that the game is on PC it would be super easy to grab a sample of the Pinbot music to make into a ringtone.
:::::::::::OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Really though, I'd be mightily interested in this. Or just taking samples in general for text alerts and such.

Hmm, might be a little tougher than I thought, there's some ambient noise that I wouldn't want. Does anyone know if Pro version/Operator menus have sound tests?

edit - Maybe I don't have to do all the work! Found a website with dumps of a lot of pinball music/sound effects!

http://www.cgmusic.net/archives.html

edit again - Gyahaha! Success! If anyone wants a copy of my Pinbot ringtone clip I made it public on my Skydrive account.

http://sdrv.ms/1806OCR

Top Bottom