• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

I make no apologies for this post.

pinballarcade2013-11-xsdyr.png

pinballarcade2013-11-3nf3a.png

pinballarcade2013-11-ecfdr.png

pinballarcade2013-11-ehetk.png

Post processing is still messed up on AMD cards though:

pinballarcade2013-11-ozfa9.png

Wonko_C

IM FLIPPING THIS SHIT RIGHT NOW!

Edit:
u3wmZG8.jpg

When did this update roll out? I didn't notice and have been on Steam all day. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, plagiarize!

Vyse24

So the trading cards for TPA. I rarely if ever use the emoticons or the coupon earned from completing the badge, so would selling them be the right thing to do? So far the cards I have can easily be sold for more than 50 cents each, and I'm planning to use the market to help me pay a little less for Season 2.

microtubule

Latest patch is out on Steam! More info here.

Version 1.19.6 has been released.

Changes:
- Added portrait support to the user interface. When you launch the config utility, you can choose an adapter (monitor) number. This lets you run fullscreen and fullscreen window modes on other monitors. The resolutions listed are the supported fullscreen ones for the selected adapter. A portrait monitor will list portrait resolutions.
- Season Pass DLC added to the steam store. "The season purchasing is in but the store pages may or may not be "released" today as I'm not sure if Valve is still at the office. So those might not show up until tomorrow." - Mike

and sneak peek at next patch:

Because the changelist for 1.19.6 is a little small, here's a peek at changes that will be released with the next stable build:
- Fix for portrait cameras cutting off the flippers.
- Rumble On/Off in table settings.
- Dual-stage flippers On/Off in table settings.
- Reverse nudge On/Off in table settings.
- Event cameras On/Off in table settings.
- Sound Options menu to adjust levels for sound effects, table music, and menu music in the Options menu.
- Fixes for various application focus issues, such as input being processed when dismissing the Steam overlay or when the application doesn't have focus.
- Camera flyby properly restores after exiting table exploration.
- Fix for controllers on high-score initials entry in portrait.

Shaneus

I never thought I'd say this, but holy hell this is awesome in portrait mode! My el cheapo monitor arm stand thing has paid itself off already. Next-best thing to having a virtual pin, being able to 'tate and tilt the monitor.

Really, REALLY surprised how well it works. Far better than portrait on iPad.

Shaneus

I was about to ask about that!

pinballarcade2013-11-5vcap.png

It's only in certain camera angles, and seems to effect some tables more than others.
Hah, you think the cutting of flippers is bad in that... have a look at Funhouse!

PS. That high score? I don't know how I did it, but I got it with that exact same camera view... flippers cut off and everything! Without a doubt, the 'tate mode with a tilted monitor is easily the best way to play this. Every game is so much easier for things like shot timing (hell, I could do it without seeing the lower flippers!).

No idea if it registered my high score though... up came the high score screen (with the five "local" high scores), then it went straight to this blank screen with no menu (Escape, no other keys worked). So it could well not have submitted it :(
Edit: Damnit, didn't fucking submit! I would've been ranked around 300th anyway, but still... ARGH. God damnit, Farsight.

Hah, you think the cutting of flippers is bad in that... have a look at Funhouse!

PS. That high score? I don't know how I did it, but I got it with that exact same camera view... flippers cut off and everything! Without a doubt, the 'tate mode with a tilted monitor is easily the best way to play this. Every game is so much easier for things like shot timing (hell, I could do it without seeing the lower flippers!).

No idea if it registered my high score though... up came the high score screen (with the five "local" high scores), then it went straight to this blank screen with no menu (Escape, no other keys worked). So it could well not have submitted it :(
Edit: Damnit, didn't fucking submit! I would've been ranked around 300th anyway, but still... ARGH. God damnit, Farsight.

you hit back instead of select. seems to be a new bug, or feature I guess. that sucks about the score though.

Shaneus

Is that on the forums? And by "new", you mean, the build with portrait mode? I've yet to encounter it, but then again, it's only tonight I bothered buying both pro season packs.

Is that on the forums? And by "new", you mean, the build with portrait mode? I've yet to encounter it, but then again, it's only tonight I bothered buying both pro season packs.

I experienced it a number of times last night. I haven't experienced it before.

nexen

Does anyone else think that input lag seems less pronounced on the latest patch? At least it seems that way on Medieval Madness for me. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It looks like there was a leak in the Steam news page announcing the table season passes being available for purchase outside of the game.

The tables in pack 20 are El Dorado: City of Gold and Cue Ball Wizard. Eight Ball Deluxe and Sharkey's Shootout have to wait another day.

Shaneus

Season packs now available on the Steam marketplace now. I literally bought them in-game hours before... after mucking around with adding funds to Steam wallet ($50 top-up, $25 top-up, $5 top-up, then after realising $80 wouldn't be enough for the Pro packs... another $10 top-up :/).

Spookie

So I used my regional friend to buy me all the DLC. Ended up saving me £22 over the UK price. :/

Still hurrar, now I don't have to spend a fortune! :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Hopefully we see more Stern tables, new and old, in season 3. I'm not expecting Metallica or the new Star Trek, but there's a lot of stuff from the Stern Electronics/Data East Pinball/Sega Pinball/Modern Stern that could be easily acquired.

ShaneB

Good to see the packs on sale as DLC.

The whole thing still doesn't make any sense considering a game like CoH2 has an ungodly amount DLC listed.

Hopefully we see more Stern tables, new and old, in season 3. I'm not expecting Metallica or the new Star Trek, but there's a lot of stuff from the Stern Electronics/Data East Pinball/Sega Pinball/Modern Stern that could be easily acquired.

I'd kickstarter me some Jurassic Park. Also, I'd love to see Rollercoaster Tycoon too. It's probably my favourite of Pat's Stern work.

Wonko_C

All I want is TRON Legacy, and (If what they said about doing original tables in the future includes computer pinball recreations,) I'd love to see StarQuest 2049 from old DOS game Hyper 3D Pinball/Tilt!, it's music is soothing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Good to see the packs on sale as DLC.

The whole thing still doesn't make any sense considering a game like CoH2 has an ungodly amount DLC listed.

CoH2 isn't F2P, I think that's a part of it. Also I think a part is the DLC for TPA is tiered (some DLC is included in other purchases, or requires other specific DLC to work).

Shaneus

Easily acquired without a Kickstarter? I doubt there'd be all that much. Apollo 13 maybe (no Tom Hanks likeness), but all the (decent) DE/Sega games I can think of would have some kind of significant entry point as far as licensing goes:
WWF
Jurassic Park (though probably not that bad, I don't think many actual actors were featured on it?)
Baywatch
Last Action Hero (though if Arnie was happy with T2 getting licensed...)

Some that *could* be likely:
Tales From the Crypt
Tommy
Godzilla
Viper Night Drivin' (show off the night lighting on PS4?)
Simpsons (DE)

Stern games kinda likely, but are Stern so they are crappy and I hate them*:
Rollercoaster Tycoon
WPT
Elvis (licensing *could* be a bitch?)
Sopranos
Simpsons PP
Striker Xtreme (oh god I hope not)
NASCAR/Grand Prix
Sharkey's Shootout
T3
LotR

*I haven't actually played any other than TSPP and that was actually pretty good, but I hate both lazy licenses and stop-go Lawlor-style games... so there :p

*Also, all of these bar WPT are Whitestar, which I believe are the ones that Stern said they currently have emulation working with. And I'm also sure it's been heavily hinted that RCT is indeed locked in as it was namechecked in passing in some interview with a FS employee some months back.

I'd probably rather see some of the cheesy Gottlieb knock-off pins like that Miami Vice one and Genesis. Although I'd love to see Godzilla.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Miami Vice one is called Hollywood Heat, and it sounds like a good table. I would try it.

I would think Viper Night Drivin would be a great one, maybe with the NASCAR one too. Monopoly would be an easy license, I think. And as for the old ones, I'd like to see Seawitch, Iron Maiden, Quicksilver, Viper (no, not Night Drivin...) and maybe Orbiter 1. And Data East could add Checkpoint (first ever DMD game), Tommy, and maybe Jurassic Park and Guns N Roses.

Shaneus

Guns 'n' Roses = never, ever, EVER happen. Apparently Axl is insanely tight on his likeness or something. Others I agree with though! I just thought you may have been thinking all the licensed ones that would likely never make it a la South Park etc. I think there's a cluster of games that aren't really good enough and don't have strong enough licenses for them to appeal to a wide enough audience.

I believe Seawitch was kind of on the cards as well, especially after there was some thing on PAF about how the designer of it had died fairly young or something. I'll see if I can find the story.

Edit: This:

Mike Kubin, Stern designer, my friend, died this week.

Some here will recognize the name, but Mike designed the second most requested Stern game (by a whisker), Seawitch.
He came through the ranks from engineering, assisting Harry Williams on Flight 2000, the ultimate winner on this site. He also had a hand in numerous other titles as engineer before getting his signature on designs of his own. It's safe to say that Seawitch was his pride and joy though, and that's how we met:
I'd go into the bar every day after work to drink martinis and play that game. One day the owner introduced Mike to me as 'the guy who made that game', and soon after we were best of pals. We were both single then, so most of the good stories can't be told in public. But I can share one quick one re pinball:
I'd been to the Stern factory numerous times to visit Mike at work (I actually met Harry Williams there!) and on one visit told Mike I loved the backglass art on Quicksilver. He asked if I wanted one, but we couldn't find any in the plant. So we went to Gary Stern's office and took the one he had hanging on his wall. That glass is still hanging in my basement along with "The *****" (as we affectionately called Seawitch) and Warlock, a game Mike designed for Williams.
I eventually married and moved to the suburbs, he did the same a few years later. We were both busy with "responsibilities", and eventually lost touch for nearly 15 years. Until...
TPA published the Stern "most wanted" poll. I was so excited that Seawitch was actually in the running that I tracked Mike down via Facebook (really, my wife did it since I'm not on it) to tell him about TPA and this site. He'd heard of neither but we spoke for a good 45 minutes and it was like we'd never lost touch. Caught up on jobs, kids, wives, and life in general. We also relived some of the old days, laughing much. We left it with me promising to bring my iPad to him and showing him Seawitch when TPA made it.
That can't happen now, but a couple thoughts:
If it hadn't been for this site and the poll, I probably wouldn't have gotten nostalgic to reach out to Mike. Thank you all for that! And...
I can't think of a greater gift I could present to his kids than Seawitch immortalized for the ages by a TPA version. If any mods here would be kind enough to point Farsight to this post I'd appreciate it. Maybe it can happen sooner rather than later. I've just learned that there's no guarantee of "later".
Mike was 57 and leaves two teens and his wife. It was my pleasure to be his friend, and to appreciate his contributions to the game we all love.
Thanks for your indulgence.

So it doesn't mention anything about the likelihood of it appearing, but I'm sure I've read in other threads that it's likely, particularly because the poll it was in, it came in second (missing out on first by a tiny margin) to Flight 2000. So I reckon we'll see it sooner rather than later.

Easily acquired without a Kickstarter? I doubt there'd be all that much. Apollo 13 maybe (no Tom Hanks likeness), but all the (decent) DE/Sega games I can think of would have some kind of significant entry point as far as licensing goes:
WWF
Jurassic Park (though probably not that bad, I don't think many actual actors were featured on it?)
Baywatch
Last Action Hero (though if Arnie was happy with T2 getting licensed...)

Some that *could* be likely:
Tales From the Crypt
Tommy
Godzilla
Viper Night Drivin' (show off the night lighting on PS4?)
Simpsons (DE)

Stern games kinda likely, but are Stern so they are crappy and I hate them*:
Rollercoaster Tycoon
WPT
Elvis (licensing *could* be a bitch?)
Sopranos
Simpsons PP
Striker Xtreme (oh god I hope not)
NASCAR/Grand Prix
Sharkey's Shootout
T3
LotR

*I haven't actually played any other than TSPP and that was actually pretty good, but I hate both lazy licenses and stop-go Lawlor-style games... so there :p

*Also, all of these bar WPT are Whitestar, which I believe are the ones that Stern said they currently have emulation working with. And I'm also sure it's been heavily hinted that RCT is indeed locked in as it was namechecked in passing in some interview with a FS employee some months back.

I'd probably rather see some of the cheesy Gottlieb knock-off pins like that Miami Vice one and Genesis. Although I'd love to see Godzilla.
RCT is a great license, and it has an amazing ramp that I like almost as much as Insanity Falls.

So there!

vg260

Really happy about Cue Ball Wizard. I used to love that table. Been requesting it since this game game out.

Need the PS4 version ASAP! I guess no word on the delay yet.

ShaneB

CoH2 isn't F2P, I think that's a part of it. Also I think a part is the DLC for TPA is tiered (some DLC is included in other purchases, or requires other specific DLC to work).

Ah, that makes some sense I guess, still is completely wacky in any case.

Thing is, isn't the IP rights to RCT I'm flux after Atari US declares bankruptcy or something?

I have no idea how difficult the rights are to get to any of Stern's licensed layout. I'm just saying of the Stern/Sega/Data East library, RCT and Jurassic Park are the two I'd most like to see, and that I'd be willing to throw money in on a JP kickstarter.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I have no idea how difficult the rights are to get to any of Stern's licensed layout. I'm just saying of the Stern/Sega/Data East library, RCT and Jurassic Park are the two I'd most like to see, and that I'd be willing to throw money in on a JP kickstarter.
I'd be willing to toss some money at a JP Kickstarter, too. Who doesn't love dinosaurs? Communists, that's who.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Everything is now back to normal for me, except for my No Good Gofers standard goal set achievement still not showing as unlocking. Any advice on what to do here?

Shaneus

Yay!
I sent FarSight an email the day that Sony changed their status. I got a reply today that says essentially the same thing.
Farsight said:
Yeah, we're in talks with them right now. The game has been done, it's just minor things we need to get taken care of to meet Sony's requirements. If we don't make launch day, it will be very soon after :)

Glad the DLC is now listed in Steam for no other reason than it can now go on sale, which is likely the only way I will ever purchase it.

I wish that the packs contained Sorcerer and Jive Time. Those are the only two tables I would miss from the console version and it probably means I'll never be able to totally replace it with the Steam release.

Minsc

Gold Member
Glad the DLC is now listed in Steam for no other reason than it can now go on sale, which is likely the only way I will ever purchase it.

I wish that the packs contained Sorcerer and Jive Time. Those are the only two tables I would miss from the console version and it probably means I'll never be able to totally replace it with the Steam release.

Sorcerer should make it out in Season 3 I think. And Fish Tales (fingers crossed), people are guessing it an awful lot in the PAF thread for upcoming tables.

Wonko_C

I see an option for "Adapter Number" now. Does this mean we can use one screen for the table and one for the backglass? If so, how?

Shaneus

Cue Ball Wizard and El Dorado confirmed:
Not sure if this is news but the season 2 pack on Steam states that it includes: "El Dorado City of Gold™, and Cue Ball Wizard™"

PS. For those not following the PC area on the PAF forum, a note about the latest update to the PC client:
Because the changelist for 1.19.6 is a little small, here's a peek at changes that will be released with the next stable build:
- Fix for portrait cameras cutting off the flippers.
- Rumble On/Off in table settings.
- Dual-stage flippers On/Off in table settings.
- Reverse nudge On/Off in table settings.
- Event cameras On/Off in table settings.
- Sound Options menu to adjust levels for sound effects, table music, and menu music in the Options menu.
- Fixes for various application focus issues, such as input being processed when dismissing the Steam overlay or when the application doesn't have focus.
- Camera flyby properly restores after exiting table exploration.
- Fix for controllers on high-score initials entry in portrait.
here

Volume control is the greatest thing ever.

That's good news. They still might make launch day! Yay.

I mean, sure I've decided to play the PS4 version and then decide if I want to buy tables for it over the PC version, but either way, when that drops, finally, I drop money on tables. I'm still leaning PS4, but we'll see how it shapes up. The PC version is really nice, but I do love the idea of sharing great moments and all that.

Minsc

Gold Member
No fix in that upcoming batch for Post-processing on AMD cards!? Boo!!

I get the feeling it may be more on AMD's shoulders, as Nvidia's drivers run it correctly. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting it to be fixed anymore until DX11 is reworked in to the game sometime next year.

Shaneus

I get the feeling it may be more on AMD's shoulders, as Nvidia's drivers run it correctly. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting it to be fixed anymore until DX11 is reworked in to the game sometime next year.
The killer is that Farsight have literally not said anything about it on the PAF forums. At all. Not an acknowledgement or anything :/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't see WWF's happening, unless they mess with it (WWE switcheroo) and I don't how it would work for the likenesses of HH, Macho Man, Undertaker, Yokozuna, Bret Hart and Lex Luger. I mean, could be costly and I'm not sure it could even come out if not "fixed" as WWE? I thought that was the reason, despite many people clamping for them, the WWF arcade games were never re-released on XBLA/PSN/etc

Minsc

Gold Member
So there's no way to essentially force portrait mode on a normal monitor?

Shouldn't you be able to just set your display to portrait in the windows display properties? I have the choice to, but haven't tested it. After doing that, the configuration tool for TPA should let you select portrait resolutions.

Brashnir

So there's no way to essentially force portrait mode on a normal monitor?

what do you mean? If you set your desktop to portrait in windows it will play as portrait in-game. The nature of the monitor itself doesn't matter.

I see an option for "Adapter Number" now. Does this mean we can use one screen for the table and one for the backglass? If so, how?

I think the adapter number is for SLI/Crossfire users to choose to use one card or the other.

In other news, if they do make it so we can put game and backglass on separate monitors, I will be seriously tempted to build a dedicated TPA machine.

Top Bottom