• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shouldn't you be able to just set your display to portrait in the windows display properties? I have the choice to, but haven't tested it. After doing that, the configuration tool for TPA should let you select portrait resolutions.

Yep just tried that and it works. This game is on a whole other level in portrait on my 27" display.

Now I just need to figure out a way to "prop" the monitor up safely. I just tested it by laying it down on the desk and standing over it.

Mollymauk

As an oppressed 360 Pinball Arcade player, I am very relieved it will be appearing on the ps4 soon. It's been forever since I've played a new table.

Shaneus

I don't see WWF's happening, unless they mess with it (WWE switcheroo) and I don't how it would work for the likenesses of HH, Macho Man, Undertaker, Yokozuna, Bret Hart and Lex Luger. I mean, could be costly and I'm not sure it could even come out if not "fixed" as WWE? I thought that was the reason, despite many people clamping for them, the WWF arcade games were never re-released on XBLA/PSN/etc
WWF the game itself underwent licensing hell before it was released anyway. Game would be finalised (artwork, DMD animations) before there'd be a significant change in characters/actors and they'd have to rejig the thing. That they got it out in it's current state playing as well as it does and being such a cohesive package is nothing short of a miracle. Awesome game, too.

Oooh yiiiaah.

Shaneus

Yep just tried that and it works. This game is on a whole other level in portrait on my 27" display.
It really, really is. I couldn't believe that I got such a massive score on Funhouse WHEN I COULDN'T EVEN SEE THE DAMN FLIPPERS. You should get yourself something like this. Because you can obviously swivel it in 360 degrees, it's easy to rotate it to portrait, then tilt it back so it's like a quasi-virtual pin table. Almost all the cameras in portrait cover the angles to get the vpin feel, it's surprising.

It really, really is. I couldn't believe that I got such a massive score on Funhouse WHEN I COULDN'T EVEN SEE THE DAMN FLIPPERS. You should get yourself something like this. Because you can obviously swivel it in 360 degrees, it's easy to rotate it to portrait, then tilt it back so it's like a quasi-virtual pin table. Almost all the cameras in portrait cover the angles to get the vpin feel, it's surprising.

I was looking at that on Amazon. It seems surprising to me that that simple clamp design is enough to keep this thing firmly secured to the desk but it must be. Here's a better picture.

61vN6GC1caL._SL1500_.jpg

joeblow

As an oppressed 360 Pinball Arcade player, I am very relieved it will be appearing on the ps4 soon. It's been forever since I've played a new table.

Sorry that you've been missing out, but at least you'll be ballin' soon. The first title I play (if they offer a complete Season 1 pack) is the game in your avatar. I stopped playing that table on the PS3 because they never fixed a physics glitch it has, so I hope this new PS4 version has it taken care of.

Shaneus

I was looking at that on Amazon. It seems surprising to me that that simple clamp design is enough to keep this thing firmly secured to the desk but it must be. Here's a better picture.
Yup, same one. Even though it's a cheapie and obviously not as good as the more expensive brands, as long as it can rotate then that's really all you need. And enough length on cable. Just rotate, tilt, change rotation on PC and you're done.

I'm still happy using the controller for the time being, so it's still really only a quasi-vpin experience, but it does the job more than adequately.

On that note, can anyone suggest what sort of monitor I should get that has better viewing angles? Any particular brands or models or just screen types?

Sorry that you've been missing out, but at least you'll be ballin' soon. The first title I play (if they offer a complete Season 1 pack) is the game in your avatar. I stopped playing that table on the PS3 because they never fixed a physics glitch it has, so I hope this new PS4 version has it taken care of.
Huh, I never noticed it. Fuck yeah, pinball avatars!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, I think I know what to do to get that missing achievement. Copy the save file elsewhere, uninstall, reinstall, and play with a fresh save until I get the achievement, then put the old save back in and go at it again.

Question is, I'm looking in the app folder in my computer where it is, and is the save file labeled PBAConfig or something similar? Just want to make sure I have everything.

EDIT: Or should I use the backup and restore function on Steam instead? Would that be easier?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Oh fuck, I accidentally uninstalled everything. Gotta start over.

Oh well, I only had a few standard goals unlocked anyways.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Seems like whatever the hell I did, my save is still there. I still need that one achievement unlocked, though, and it's bugging me.

Vyse24

Have you tried verifying the game cache? That might trigger something to unlocking it. If that doesn't work, trying getting the wizard goals. Maybe it'll get unlocked alongside.

Vyse24

After getting the Dead End in TZ and the Harem Multiball in ToTAN, I have 1 more Standard Goal to go in Season 1: The Curse in Scared Stiff.

Also, new personal best in ToTAN: 129,013,130. It'd be nice if the game let me login so I can share this.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Have you tried verifying the game cache? That might trigger something to unlocking it. If that doesn't work, trying getting the wizard goals. Maybe it'll get unlocked alongside.
I'll try that.
Okay, I verified. Now do I play a game and let it unlock?

Timeless

Why is season 2 on Steam $10 more than season 1? S1 has Twilight Zone and Star Trek: TNG. Season 2 only has Terminator 2, as far as expensive licenses go. Right?

I got season 1 and all the tables appeared on "my tables" list, but when I buy season two none or some of them are missing. I downloaded 8 files, including the ones for the vita. What happened?

And still no word on the Wii U version...

Yeah, I gave up on that a loooooong time ago. At least now we understand the delay. It didn't make heaps of sense given how finished the game has been looking.

I've put the 6th on my calendar, and marked it 'Pinball arcade should be out by now'. Hopefully I'm playing it a good while before then.

Why is season 2 on Steam $10 more than season 1? S1 has Twilight Zone and Star Trek: TNG. Season 2 only has Terminator 2, as far as expensive licenses go. Right?

those licenses were already paid for by kickstarters. they don't factor into the season prices at all. the season prices cover all the work Farsight do making the tables.

tmarg

those licenses were already paid for by kickstarters. they don't factor into the season prices at all. the season prices cover all the work Farsight do making the tables.

That doesn't seem to be true, considering most table packs are $5 for two tables, and licensed tables are $5 each. Clearly, Farsight places a premium cost on licensed tables.

I imagine the difference in price is simply due to release date, I think most people would agree that season one is a better value.

First I've seen of this game, but why the heck would they do boring old Black Knight instead of the amazing Black Knight 2000?

Earthshaker is another one I'd love to see...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Holy fucking shit. I just got a super jackpot in No Good Gofers, PC version.

Still haven't unlocked that standard goal achievement, but I just need to get to the hole-in-one challenge to unlock the wizard goals.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Any news at ALL on the Wii U port? I thought that was supposed to be out this month -- unless I'm thinking of something else...

Shaneus

First I've seen of this game, but why the heck would they do boring old Black Knight instead of the amazing Black Knight 2000?

Earthshaker is another one I'd love to see...
Black Knight was already in the Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams collection (the disc-based collection that was released before TPA came out). Easier to use assets from that than recreate new ones for BK2K.

PS. For your enjoyment, Black Power 2000.

That doesn't seem to be true, considering most table packs are $5 for two tables, and licensed tables are $5 each. Clearly, Farsight places a premium cost on licensed tables.

I imagine the difference in price is simply due to release date, I think most people would agree that season one is a better value.

I think it's more like they put a premium cost on highly desirable tables ;)

But it still isn't a factor in the season pack prices. There are plenty of licensed tables that *aren't* $5 each too. Creature From the Black Lagoon, Monster Bash, the Elvira tables, Harley Davidson and Ripley's Believe it or not spring to mind off hand.

tmarg

There are plenty of licensed tables that *aren't* $5 each too. Creature From the Black Lagoon, Monster Bash, the Elvira tables, Harley Davidson and Ripley's Believe it or not spring to mind off hand.

I meant the ones where they did a kickstarter to pay for the licenses. As far as I know, all of those have been launched at the $5/table price point.

If it were just based off how desirable the tables were, you would have to figure Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, Monster Bash, etc. would be higher priced and season 2 would be cheaper.

I meant the ones where they did a kickstarter to pay for the licenses. As far as I know, all of those have been launched at the $5/table price point.

If it were just based off how desirable the tables were, you would have to figure Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, Monster Bash, etc. would be higher priced and season 2 would be cheaper.

Alls I know is that in the kickstarters, they said the target covered all the licensing costs, but none of the work required making is. they charge more because they can.

Got this on the Vita through PS+ awhile back. But I didn't have a Vita so I was just collecting the games. Well, I got a Vita with my PS4 last week and this game is pretty nice on it. I bought the base game on 360 and spent some time with TotAN. Not sure if the Vita version is easier or what but I blew away my high score from the 360 version on my very first go on the Vita!

While the assets are obviously much lower res on Vita, the IQ is still pretty nice and it feels great. Really looking forward to this on PS4 and will consider buying lots of tables if these discounts look good enough.

Anyone else play on the vita? If you wanna add me my PSN ID is the same as my handle here.

Shaneus

IGN review of PC / PS4, just posted I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xCogyA7zBU

They particularly call out the PS4 version as being spectacular graphically. The lighting does seem amazing. Can't wait to play it.
Perhaps with a comparison like that, FS will be more inclined to release the PC upgraded lighting version (especially if they fix the shitty post-processing issue with ATI/AMD cards).

Edit: HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE PS4 HAS BALL-SPIN IN FINALLY!!!
Have a look at the ball as it spins across the table... you can see that it's not rolling in a straight line, but it looks like it's spinning backwards and to the left.

Oh, this be a glorious day!

Edit: Looking at tables later in the video... maybe not. Just thought it looked like it did from that quick flash at BoP :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks very nice but incredibly dark compared to the iPad/iPhone version (which is generally the brightest). A lot of the time over half the table is not even visible, which is nice for showing off the light effects, but I just hope they have an option to play in a more lit environment like the iPad/iPhone if you desire because getting both settings would be ideal.

Top Bottom