• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

I found a bug in theatre of magic where I hit the hole in the chest at full speed and rather than activate the magic trick it seemed to go out the back of the chest and reappear in the center loop.

Still, I've only played a short while and the trial at that. It's certainly gorgeous, but I'm still kind of bummed that this isn't Vita cross-buy enabled.

next gen pinball

Mollymauk

Now I can add the non-discounted version from the xmb related items, but it get the error message in the store itself. What a disaster.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think the PC version wiped out my save file when I updated. I guess I can go get the standard goals in No Good Gofers, but it wiped out the super jackpot I got. FML.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Aside from losing my save, and having to reconfigure the controls because the gamepad wasn't doing shit, I'm fine.

Fish Tales is awesome, and that theme is stuck in my head now.

joeblow

So now I have proof that FarSight was holding me back on the PS3 version of Attack from Mars. It has a right orbit glitch they never fixed that periodically sends the ball SDTM.

TodayI played the PS4 version of the game, and on my third try I scored 41+ billion and saved the universe (beating the table). =D

I love this table.

As I understand it you will only get a discount on tables purchased through a season pack, not separate table packs. This means you will have to pay full price for tables you already own, if you purchased them as table packs.

For the record, this is entirely wrong. I did not by the Season 1 pass on the PS3, but owned every pack anyway and was able to purchase the PS4 Season Pass for the discounted $15.

UNCMark

Banned
Is the game supposed to playing badly compressed stereo sound?!

I came to ask the same question. This game has the worst audio I've heard in a long time. I get that that they want to preserve the actual tables, but there's no reason for the bumpers and everything else to sound so shitty.

I came to ask the same question. This game has the worst audio I've heard in a long time. I get that that they want to preserve the actual tables, but there's no reason for the bumpers and everything else to sound so shitty.

Glad I'm not alone. This shit sound is a huge deterrent from buying the season pack.

And is there no vibration from the bumpers?!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm seeing agreement from a number of folks that there's a problem with the sound quality. Flipping back and forth between the same table on the PS3 and PS4 versions, the PS4 sound is scratchy and heavily compressed. Both PS4 and PS3 are worse than the PC version supposedly.

Hard to imagine any technical limitation to the sound quality, I wonder if something is misconfigured internally in the PS4 build's audio settings.

it's interesting how some tables really sing in dark mode, and others don't. Cirqus Voltaire, Attack From Mars, Bride of Pinbot, Scared Stiff... all look awesome in dark mode. I'm not feeling Monster Bash that way though, for some reason.

Anyways, here's a little gameplay from Cirqus Voltaire. Pretty poor, but I do manage to get the ball jammed under the Ringmaster for a bit. So, go me I guess!

http://youtu.be/K54xphzBzmY

So it "sounds" like not only did I get screwed out of some PS+ discount, but I also had the opportunity to think my speakers were blown for a minute.

I hope to hell this is going to be patched. And yeah, no vibration is just pathetic.

Yeah , what happened to the PS+ discount? It's was there earlier this afternoon before the store/PSN had issues.

But with these issues, in order severity:
  • shit sound quality
  • no vibration
  • no PS+ discount

I won't be purchasing the first season pack. Now PS4 pinball hopes lay with Zen, can't wait for next week.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Yeah, I lost my save. Hopefully, FS adds Steam Cloud support so this doesn't happen again.

Getting the jet bumpers lit on Space Shuttle and everything involving Firepower is going to be a pain, but at least I can get the standard goal achievement in No Good Gofers again... even though I lost my super jackpot wizard goal... :cries:

UNCMark

Banned
Yeah , what happened to the PS+ discount? It's was there earlier this afternoon before the store/PSN had issues.

But with these issues, in order severity:
  • shit sound quality
  • no vibration
  • no PS+ discount

I won't be purchasing the first season pack. Now PS4 pinball hopes lay with Zen, can't wait for next week.

Hopefully with the Euro release tomorrow there will be some streams of it via PS4 tomorrow.

Bebpo

Banned
lolol, the sound omg hahahaha ;_;

Game doesn't look any better than on PC imo. Bright looks nice, but looks pretty much like the ipad/PC version. Neutral looks kind of bland. Dark is cool in a "hey, this is something different" way, but at least on ToTAN it didn't do much for me.

If they can fix the sound it seems like a solid version for sure, but if the PC version gets the PS4 "dark" mode at some point, PC is all I need.

I can't believe PS4 doesn't even have friend leaderboards across PS4 friends wtf!

Bebpo

Banned
Also, I got a glitch in my first game of ToTAN where it didn't recognize I'd hit the cobra taming skill shot and the game kept playing but it kept playing the snakes on the dot matrix for like a minute into the game lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Now PS4 pinball hopes lay with Zen, can't wait for next week.

1383677399863.gif

Minsc

Gold Member

Keep in mind as well the game is running the same ROMs that were in the actual pinball machines, a tiny little 1MB file generally holds all the DMD animations, the sound bytes (voice clips), the music, and everything else to the table in just 1MB or so. So there is an upper limit on what to expect, they aren't remastered or anything. That said, from all the people who've compared in comparison to the PS3, it does sound like something went awry on the PS4 with the sound engine.

PC sounds great to me, don't know if anyone with a PS4 can compare it to that.

Wow... I have to pay for all the tables again? :\

It's $15 if you bought them already (for 22 tables), that's a pretty fair price for the work that went in to setting up the new lighting engine imo. They claim it is more of an upgrade than Zen is doing.

hamchan

$15 is fair so I rebought these tables. Can definitely notice the sound issues. :-/

Really looking forward to Zen Pinball 2 and really happy they've made it cross buy across all playstation platforms.

Shaneus

Have at it.
That's day four? We knew that already! Gimme another gift!

So now I have proof that FarSight was holding me back on the PS3 version of Attack from Mars. It has a right orbit glitch they never fixed that periodically sends the ball SDTM.

TodayI played the PS4 version of the game, and on my third try I scored 41+ billion and saved the universe (beating the table). =D

I love this table.

For the record, this is entirely wrong. I did not by the Season 1 pass on the PS3, but owned every pack anyway and was able to purchase the PS4 Season Pass for the discounted $15.
Is strobe mode a real thing now or did FS cheap out on it?

You might find some tables are better than others. Maybe they got the sound from a different source other than the original ROMs, I dunno. But when I first played Monster Bash on 360, I was surprised with the clarity.

PS. Guys, Taxi was in S2, wasn't it? Was kinda hoping to play that with the new engine :(

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Was just streaming this on twitch. It made the game look choppy, unfortunately. I was surprised anyone would want to watch pinball at this hour.

Taxi is season 1.

Brashnir

Keep in mind as well the game is running the same ROMs that were in the actual pinball machines, a tiny little 1MB file generally holds all the DMD animations, the sound bytes (voice clips), the music, and everything else to the table in just 1MB or so. So there is an upper limit on what to expect, they aren't remastered or anything. That said, from all the people who've compared in comparison to the PS3, it does sound like something went awry on the PS4 with the sound engine.

PC sounds great to me, don't know if anyone with a PS4 can compare it to that.

It's not that. Even the menu music sounds absolutely terrible.

This game is borderline broken with the way the sound is now. I can only laugh at the devs saying their game is worth more than Zen Pinball because of all the hard work they put into the next gen upgrades. I can all but gauruntee that ZP2 will be far more polished and feature complete than this mess right now. If I didn't love these real tables I would have now problem skipping this travesty.

Minsc

Gold Member
This game is borderline broken with the way the sound is now. I can only laugh at the devs saying their game is worth more than Zen Pinball because of all the hard work they put into the next gen upgrades. I can all but gauruntee that ZP2 will be far more polished and feature complete than this mess right now. If I didn't love these real tables I would have now problem skipping this travesty.

So wait a week or so for a patch? Doesn't seem like life or death to me. :)

They're different games though, I don't see why people can't like both. Each have pros and cons, ZP2 is going to probably be more polished I agree, but it also has the issue where you can play a single ball on a table for like 10 hours (I already saw comments the new Dr Strange table is guilty of being able to never worry about a ball draining). I dunno, patience is important with TPA, flaws do generally get fixed, you just need to wait a little bit sometimes.

I don't think they're saying the game is worth more either, just that the improvement (in graphics) from the PS3 > PS4 will be larger than the graphical improvement from Zen going PS3 > PS4. Zen has fantasy tables, and TPA has real tables, you can't really get a full experience from either product, both lack something the other offers.

Edit: Also compared to other bugs we've seen in the past, like the camera ones, where say on Black Hole the camera didn't return to the play field after entering the lower playfield, this doesn't render the gameplay impossible like that did, and there's actually been very little complaints so far from PS4 users about the sound issue (none til this morning on their facebook page) - where if the sound was actually missing entirely or something like that, I'm sure you'd see a whole lot more people complaining.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I played a game of Big Shot earlier where every single ball went straight out the sides and out of play before even making it near a flipper.

Game doesn't look any better than on PC imo.

You're not very observant, to put it mildly.

Is strobe mode a real thing now or did FS cheap out on it?
Strobe multiball is still missing a strobe light, sadly. Apart from that the new lighting looks amazing, but yeah, when I got strobe going... I was a bit disappointed. I mean, it says 'strobe' right in the name of the mode :p

Minsc

Gold Member
I played a game of Big Shot earlier where every single ball went straight out the sides and out of play before even making it near a flipper.

I always felt you can never have a true classic pinball table unless a new / non-expert player could potentially drain all 3 of their balls with them barely even making it to the flippers once. One of the things that I remember about TAF is going from the bumpers on the left side (graveyard area) straight to the outside drain after launching a ball lol. That or any time I'd get a game mode like mamushka or hit cousin itt, I pretty much lose the ball in the first two seconds.

meppi

The game is up in Europe now as well.

One big problem though. I have the season 1 pass for PS3/Vita, but the season 1 pass for PS4 is showing up for €30 for me. :(

The half price version is showing up but I can't buy it as it tells me that I don't have bought the season pass 1, while it does show up in my purchase list. :-/

I always felt you can never have a true classic pinball table unless a new / non-expert player could potentially drain all 3 of their balls with them barely even making it to the flippers once. One of the things that I remember about TAF is going from the bumpers on the left side (graveyard area) straight to the outside drain after launching a ball lol. That or any time I'd get a game mode like mamushka or hit cousin itt, I pretty much lose the ball in the first two seconds.

Something I still almost always do on GREED in Twilight Zone, is as soon as the ball returns from the slot machine I hit it into the target on the bottom of the yellow pop bumper and it flies straight between my flippers. I ONLY do this during GREED.

Haha, one of my favorite tables. So simple, yet so punishing. Big Shot is a very, very cruel mistress. Nailing all solids, all stripes, and the eight-ball on one ball felt so, so good.

vg260

Bought season 1 on PS4 for $15 since I had them anyway. Was hoping for the pro pack discount, but the way you had to have purchased all of the pro packs is wonky.

Lighting looks nice on dark, but not spectacular to me. If the upgrade is coming to PC, I'll hold out for Season 2 and pick and choose one or two on PS4 since I don't own any Season 2 on PS3.Vita.

Top Bottom