• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

There's definitely at least one table (though it may have been two?) that isn't coming up from the Williams collection, so we won't be getting both. I think it was Jive Time they said is not being ported to TPA, maybe someone else remembers better.

Bummer. Though I suppose Jive Time isn't a huge loss. TPA forums mentioned that someone figured out Banzai Run is one of the remaining six from season 3 -- I missed how that was divined, though.

And let us arrange the tables in a custom order, please. Also have sort by date/manufacturer/a-z options.

I would also like 'recently played,' 'sort by time played' and 'sort by goals completed' sorting options. Helps me pick up a table I've neglected (which I recently learned I had done to Class of 1812)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just updated my Steam version, and Season 3 and Fish Tales are there, along with a "what's new" screen that also confirms Junk Yard, WhoDunnit and Black Knight 2000.

EDIT: Sound's broken, is this happening to anyone else?

EDIT 2: Apparently, the sound sliders in options all defaulted to 0, so that's easily fixed. Odd...

Ugh, this is going to get expensive very quickly -- looking at dropping $15 for PS4 (50% off due to PS3/PSV season one owner), probably going to re-up for $30 for PS3/PSV season three (yeah, the PSV version is meh but it's so nice to have portable), and I'm this close to biting on the PC version.

PC version is confirmed to have free cabinet support coming, right? Also the PS4 lighting and texture improvements? If so I'll probably take the plunge on all three seasons at Pro level -- another $120. =/ I figure I'll want Pro for my eventual cabinet. Maybe I'll just go normal for $90 and upgrade later if I feel I'm missing it. Seasons one and two are normally $40/$50 rather than $30/$40?

joeblow

I'm a huge fan of TPA, and I appreciate all the good work that Farsight has put into the game over the years. But I'm starting to agree with some who question the management skills of this developer.

They teased PS3/Vita gamers for months that they would get a 50% discount on the PS4 version of Season One if they bought at least four packs. Now it turns out, the night before it releases, that all the tables need to have been bought to get the savings.

I understand they are saying that Sony won't allow them to do it their why, but then why did they announce it to the public before working out the kinks with Sony? That's just common sense.

It reminds me of the X360 debacle: teasing the fans (albeit, with the best of intentions) about an impending positive outcome, only to have things fall apart for various reasons in the end. Yes, it isn't always their fault when things go south, but at minimum they can handle PR a lot better by not counting their chickens before they hatch whenever possible.

BTW, I actually qualify for the 50% PS4 discount (and the 10% PS+ savings on top of that), so I ain't complaining due to missing out on the deal. I appreciate that at least something like this is offered, but I think it could have all been handled better for loyal fans who will be forced to pay full price because they don't own a pack or two.

Daigoro

I'm a huge fan of TPA, and I appreciate all the good work that Farsight has put into the game over the years. But I'm starting to agree with some who question the management skills of this developer.

just starting huh?

at this point im just waiting until they are done fucking around and patching shit up. im going to determine the best version of the whole package (most likely PC) and buy it at a heavily discounted price.

Benedict

They teased PS3/Vita gamers for months that they would get a 50% discount on the PS4 version of Season One if they bought at least four packs. Now it turns out, the night before it releases, that all the tables need to have been bought to get the savings.

I understand they are saying that Sony won't allow them to do it their why, but then why did they announce it to the public before working out the kinks with Sony? That's just common sense.

It reminds me of the X360 debacle: teasing the fans (albeit, with the best of intentions) about an impending positive outcome, only to have things fall apart for various reasons in the end. Yes, it isn't always their fault when things go south, but at minimum they can handle PR a lot better by not counting their chickens before they hatch whenever possible.

BTW, I actually qualify for the 50% PS4 discount (and the 10% PS+ savings on top of that), so I ain't complaining due to missing out on the deal. I appreciate that at least something like this is offered, but I think it could have all been handled better for loyal fans who will be forced to pay full price because they don't own a pack or two.

I agree completely. I am one of these early buyers that bought into the franchise before they released seasons packs. And since I started buying table packs before season one pack was released I never saw the need for buying some tables twice. I have all the tables from season one, except three tables. I alse have some single tables on my Ouya, iOS and Android tablet.
I am one of these early valued customers that has already bought most of these tables twice. I bought an imported disc version of Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection, when it was released on PS3, years before it was available in Europe. Then gladly payed for these again when they were rereleased.

This means that if I, as their valued customer, I want to play these tables on PS4 I have to buy them all again, for full price...
Even though the game is released today/tomorrow, Farsight still won't mention any price.

Zen Pinball 2 on the other hand, will be free for PS4 owners from day one, if you own PS3/Vita tables from before. When asked about this on the PSN blog, Bobby King blames this on that they work much harder than the people behind Zen Pinball 2 and states that:
"Zen is porting the game to PS4 with the same graphics from PS3. Ours has been reworked for for the next gen experience by utilizing the full potential of the PS4 hardware.----
Zen is porting the PS3 version to PS4. We really reworked our game to utilize the power of the PS4 hardware. :)"

When asked about why you need to get all the tables this is the answer he chose:
"We really tried to get a discount for owning just a few tables on PS3, but Sony would only allow us to do it this way."

Strange then that Zen can release single tables free... And Zen Pinball 2 will not be a straight port from PS3. To lash out at another company this way is inexcusable.

What this comes down is that in Farsights mind: Don't blame us, everything is Sonys fault, please don't compare us with Zen, we are better than them and customers are something that we really don't care about that much.

joeblow

OK, to FarSight's defense, I haven't seen any proof of Zen Pinball's supposed game engine improvements in their PS4 port besides 1080P and 60 fps.

Now that in itself is pretty good, but a few fans of that series seem to go buck wild anytime it is pointed out that there are no other confirmed buffs to the actual game. There's a guy at the official PlayStation Blog comment section going bonkers on this issue, and even he is only able to bring up improvements to the Zen Pinball leader board setup. That has nothing to do with the actual game, so it is why I am asking here.

Pinball Arcade for the PS4 at least got some of hardware specific attention in the upgrade, like improving the play field textures and adding better chrome effects. Here's one snippet of TPA improvements on the PS4:

In addition to the most realistic physics on the market, the PS4 port of the popular pinball platform will ship with several visual improvements, including “per pixel ray casting, area lights [and] shadows, point lights, and screen space ambient occlusion”.

So honest question: is Zen Pinball pretty much a 60fps/1080P port of the PS3 version as has been pointed out, is there more (confirmed) info on other game-engine improvements out there?

Shaneus

FUCK. So I come home from work after a shit day, all ready for some Fish Tales... and my PSU is fucked.

You fucking piece of shit. Only bought it in July, too. ARGH.

1528564_668564793164584_305844374_n.jpg

Finally, this is the one they should go with (I've been saying they just should use the iOS app icons in a grid for a while now, since they are so identifiable). And let us arrange the tables in a custom order, please. Also have sort by date/manufacturer/a-z options.
ABOUT BLOODY TIME.

Minsc

Gold Member
How the hell does the retail disc not contain pro?

I imagine perhaps they wanted to get some DLC money if people are OCD about having the full version of the Season 1 tables and are sharing the disc between their friends. Now they'll get $10 or $20 in table upgrades.

How is the PS4 version supposed to be better than the PS3 version?

Much improved, new lighting engine and probably other improvements under the hood. The lighting engine can handle ambient light settings now, so you have a day/night look to all the tables. Also no lag at 1080p @ 60fps.

OK, to FarSight's defense, I haven't seen any proof of Zen Pinball's supposed game engine improvements in their PS4 port besides 1080P and 60 fps.

So honest question: is Zen Pinball pretty much a 60fps/1080P port of the PS3 version as has been pointed out, is there more (confirmed) info on other game-engine improvements out there?

Also Pinball FX3 is a far ways away, and there's a lot of fragmentation with Pinball FX2 / Zen Pinball. Tables on some platforms not others, some tables not upgrading to PS4 version iirc, and so on.

Ugh, this is going to get expensive very quickly -- looking at dropping $15 for PS4 (50% off due to PS3/PSV season one owner), probably going to re-up for $30 for PS3/PSV season three (yeah, the PSV version is meh but it's so nice to have portable), and I'm this close to biting on the PC version.

PC version is confirmed to have free cabinet support coming, right? Also the PS4 lighting and texture improvements? If so I'll probably take the plunge on all three seasons at Pro level -- another $120. =/ I figure I'll want Pro for my eventual cabinet. Maybe I'll just go normal for $90 and upgrade later if I feel I'm missing it. Seasons one and two are normally $40/$50 rather than $30/$40?

Yup, free cab support for PC (will be only version getting it obviously), and it currently has Portrait mode as well, which is pretty great (one of those no-turning back things after you experience it), but needs some camera viewpoint updates. DX11 updates will also be free, so it will be in line with PS4 version (slightly better I guess with higher than 1080p resolution), but both these things could be 6 months or more away.

If you had a monitor that is capable of portrait mode, I imagine you'd get the best experience with that mode on the PC, it really makes a huge difference.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Much improved, new lighting engine and probably other improvements under the hood. The lighting engine can handle ambient light settings now, so you have a day/night look to all the tables. Also no lag at 1080p @ 60fps.

There are actually three settings for room brightness.

Shaneus

If you had a monitor that is capable of portrait mode, I imagine you'd get the best experience with that mode on the PC, it really makes a huge difference.
So true. Even with the broken camera on Funhouse (where you literally can't see the lower flippers at all) I got my best score for that table on any platform. The effect the PC portrait mode had on my timing was out of sight.

Ooooh, just YouTube'd some TPA portrait mode videos -- very nice! Not as great as cabinet support will be, of course, but it's a heck of a step towards it.

do these have stereo 3D support? I think that could work quite well if it was subtle

not yet. it's supposedly coming to PS3 and PS4. PC you can force it using tridef or 3D Vision, but it isn't as good as it could be (mainly if your display suffers from crosstalk).

Minsc

Gold Member
So true. Even with the broken camera on Funhouse (where you literally can't see the lower flippers at all) I got my best score for that table on any platform. The effect the PC portrait mode had on my timing was out of sight.

Looks like Funhouse has been fixed, here are the most recent patch notes:

Patchnotes on Steam:

PC 1.21.2 Updates:
- New DLC: Fish Tales.
- New DLC: Fish Tales Pro Menus.
- New DLC: Fish Tales + Pro Menus Pack.
- New DLC: Season 3 Pack.
- New DLC: Season 3 Pro Pack.
- New DLC: Season 2 Ball Pack.
- Free Table of the Month: Whirlwind.
- "Leaderboards" removed from the main menu to make room for "Season Three".
- "What's New" text is displayed on the first run on a new major release.
- Config utility had a small makeover.
- Updated Config utility to include a texture filtering option.

Bug Fixes:
- Multimon fix (PBAConfig update).
- Dual Flipper when mapped to button fixed.
- Dual Flipper threshhold changed from 5% to 10% (toggle the option on and off to get the change).
- Windows Key & Accessibility Shortcuts are disabled.
- Added a 12% deadzone to triggers.
- Fixed HUD scale on portrait on Big Shot and Central Park.
- Fixed crash when entering Goin' Nuts' pro menu.
- Added "Manual" button to the Pro Help menu on landscape.
- Fixed Pro mode not saving settings.
- nVidia AA fixed
- Fixed issue with pinball wizard controller causing wierd menu issues.
- Fixed high score screen in portrait.
- Fixed Fun House cameras on portrait.
- Adjusted portrait HUD on: Centaur, Class of 1812, Dr. Dude, El Dorado, Elvira and the Party Monsters, Flight 2000, Haunted House, Pin*Bot, Space Shuttle, Victory, and Whirlwind.
- Fixed Harley not always working with multiplayer
- Game pauses if a controller connection is lost during gameplay.
- Removed the “Back” button from the High Scores screen at the end of a game.
- Fixed DMD scaling in landscape and portrait.

Very torn about whether or not to buy this for PS4. I bought every table on the day of release for 360 and then it all went wrong. I feel like I wasted my money to an extent because I'll have to buy them all a second time.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Yeah, the game is a lot easier on tablet for that reason, despite touch vs. buttons.

Minsc

Gold Member
Very torn about whether or not to buy this for PS4. I bought every table on the day of release for 360 and then it all went wrong. I feel like I wasted my money to an extent because I'll have to buy them all a second time.

Why not just try the PS4 version for free later today and see how you feel about the new lighting engine and 1080p60, everyone on the PS4 version who's bought table packs in the past has to rebuy them, your situation is nothing special :)

Plus compared to say an iOS user, you've only spend like $30 on the 360 or less (core packs and first 3 table packs), that's nothing compared to the $200+ someone who's bought 20+ table packs, and on 3 or more platforms, so maybe that makes you feel a little better.

Also the amount of money you'd have to spend to get the remaining season 1 table packs that were never released on the 360 is actually more money than just buying the entire season on the PS4, so you're still saving money, and getting everything upfront this time around too.

Benedict

I don't think that Zen Pinball will be just a port of PS3-version.
Perhaps they use the PC-version as a base when porting to PS4, makes more sense. Wouldn't be surprised either if Farlight is doing the same with PA. Looks like that if there is a big PC-patch coinciding with the PS4-release.

I don't think that Zen Pinball will be just a port of PS3-version.
Perhaps they use the PC-version as a base when porting to PS4, makes more sense. Wouldn't be surprised either if Farlight is doing the same with PA. Looks like that if there is a big PC-patch coinciding with the PS4-release.

whether the engine is or isn't, the tables appear to be identical to the PC versions of the tables. the PS4 versions of the tables for TPA are not identical to the PC versions already released.

I mean, I'd love if Farsight did what Zen have done too in terms of bringing forwards tables, but I'm happy with the discount and I can see where the extra work has been done. Also, as Minsk points out, I've only spent about $50 on this game so far (all the 360 table packs, 4 PS3/Vita packs), compared to most people that's peanuts.

Benedict

whether the engine is or isn't, the tables appear to be identical to the PC versions of the tables. the PS4 versions of the tables for TPA are not identical to the PC versions already released.

I mean, I'd love if Farsight did what Zen have done too in terms of bringing forwards tables, but I'm happy with the discount and I can see where the extra work has been done. Also, as Minsk points out, I've only spent about $50 on this game so far (all the 360 table packs, 4 PS3/Vita packs), compared to most people that's peanuts.

I'm very unhappy with the discounts.
Since I have not bought 4 tables out of 22 of Season one, I am not allowed the right to discount for the other tables of season one I purchased.
Only if you have bought the Season one pack (not separate table packs) you will get a discount.
Early buyers of their titles and DLC are not of interest, and have themselves to blame...

Edit: Pinball Arcade was released for PS3 in July 2012 (EU).
According to wikipedia, the season one pack was released in May 2013.
This means that only customers who bought their title and season one pack after may 2013, will be qualified for discount.
People who bought Pinball Arcade prior to the release of season one pack, will not be qualified for a discount.

Tables I miss:
Scared Stiff
Big Shot
Twilight Zone
Star Trek: The Next Generation

Tables I "own":
Black Hole
Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Theatre of Magic
The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot
Medieval Madness
Cirqus Voltaire
FunHouse
Gorgar
Monster Bash
Black Knight
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Harley-Davidson, 3rd Edition
Taxi
Elvira and the Party Monsters
No Good Gofers
Attack from Mars
Genie

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
PSA: I read on the PA fan forum that the PS4 disc release is behind the digital release due to being submitted months ago to the publisher. The PS4 disc version will require a big patch to change and fix things already sorted in the digital version coming out today.

So it is claimed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does anyone know if different versions of this game look better/worse than the others? I have the iOS version, and it looks kind of crummy, even on the latest ipad. Very flat looking compared to my favorite Pro Pinball (I know, not the same, Pro Pinball was all pre-rendered, but still). Did they maybe improve the lighting and textures for PS4 release at all?

Minsc

Gold Member
Does anyone know if different versions of this game look better/worse than the others? I have the iOS version, and it looks kind of crummy, even on the latest ipad. Very flat looking compared to my favorite Pro Pinball (I know, not the same, Pro Pinball was all pre-rendered, but still). Did they maybe improved the lighting and textures for PS4 release at all?

Tier 1: PS4 (if you look at the IGN review linked earlier you can see screens/video)
Tier 2: Steam*, 360, PS3
Tier 3: Everything else

*Steam version will be upgraded to PS4 level down the road for free.

To answer you question, yes the lighting and textures were improved for the PS4 release, and the iOS version had subpar lighting to begin with (it was already outclassed by 360/PS3, which the PS4 improves even further upon).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tier 1: PS4 (if you look at the IGN review linked earlier you can see screens/video)
Tier 2: PC*, 360, PS3
Tier 3: Everything else

*PC will be upgraded to PS4 level down the road for free.

To answer you question, yes the lighting and textures were improved for the PS4 release, and the iOS version had subpar lighting to begin with (it was already outclassed by 360/PS3, which the PS4 improves even further upon).
I was just looking the IGN review videos, and the PS4 version really does look a class apart. The only odd thing about it is that it seems like the environment lighting is really low in it, like the pinball machine is sitting in the dark room basically.

I was just looking the IGN review videos, and the PS4 version really does look a class apart. The only odd thing about it is that it seems like the environment lighting is really low in it, like the pinball machine is sitting in the dark room basically.

There are three settings, dark / neutral / day -- they had it set to dark. I've seen dark and neutral via streaming of the retail version last night and they look great. The colors are so much more crisp, lighting aside.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There are three settings, dark / neutral / day -- they had it set to dark. I've seen dark and neutral via streaming of the retail version last night and they look great. The colors are so much more crisp, lighting aside.
Sounds great! Can't wait to see it :)

Does anyone know if they'll eventually simulate the "Pinball 2000" tables? Or is there any other game that does?

Ehker

I'm very unhappy with the discounts.
Since I have not bought 4 tables out of 22 of Season one, I am not allowed the right to discount for the other tables of season one I purchased.
Only if you have bought the Season one pack (not separate table packs) you will get a discount.
I'm only missing a few PS3/Vita tables from Season 1, so I was thinking I could buy a couple more table packs and still get the 50% discount for the PS4.

So, it's only if the PSN store sees that you own that specific $29.99 Season 1 Bundle?

Wasn't very clear on the blog, where they said:
"Players who own all of the Season One tables can buy either of the Season One Packs for half price!"

Milennia

So the pricing on this is confusing me. If I buy this on ps4 I get all of the season 1 tables for no additional fee?

Retail is 40$ and includes the non pro season 1 bundle.

The digital version is up to you,
30$ for the same content that you get in the retail version (27 if your a plus member)
35$ for the pro table bundle, that includes the pro edition of all the season 1 tables (30$ for ps plus members).

The digital version bundles are half off if you own all of the tables included in season 1 on ps3/vita.

Benedict

Only delayed in the US luckily:
Zen Pinball 2 launches on PS4 tomorrow

Information regarding their free upgrade from PS3/Vita to PS4:

There are a few details that we really need you all to pay close attention to so you have a smooth transition from PS3 to PS4. As you may have read in the announcement post, if you bought the tables coming to PS4 in Zen Pinball 2 on PS3 or PS Vita, you can import those to Zen Pinball 2 on PS4 at no charge. Here are more details on how that works:
The tables can only import from Zen Pinball 2 > Zen Pinball 2. You cannot import from Marvel Pinball or Star Wars Pinball on PS3 > Zen Pinball 2 on PS4. You CAN import from Marvel or Star Wars Pinball on PS3 > Zen Pinball 2 on PS3 and then > PS4.
There is no going backwards from PS4 > PS3. If you want to play the tables on PS3 in the future, we suggest you buy them on PS3 first and then import to PS4.
For those of you who downloaded any of the applicable tables via PS+, you can import to PS4 just the same. However, if your PS+ account expires, you will lose access to the content.
MarvelPinball_Original_Pack_Shot_with_logo_006MarvelPinball_Avengers_Chronicles_shot_with_logo_004
The actual import process is pretty easy, but here is a step by step walkthrough that you can reference if you encounter any issues:
Press the square button (Import Tables) on the collection screen to start the import process
Please wait while the game is searching for tables available for import
If there are tables available to import, the store will offer the next batch of content it has found. Press the x button (Enter) on each offered content’s download icon to add them to downloads, then press the circle button (Back) to return to the collection screen, and if there are still tables to import, the store will offer them in the next batch. Repeat this process until all content is added to the download queue.
Alternatively, if you want to import just a specific table, you can go to the table’s menu, wait a few seconds while the game checks for availability and press the “Download and play!” button when it appears. As the store comes up, press the x button (Enter) on each offered content’s download icon to add them to downloads, and press the circle button (Back) to return to the game.
Wait until all downloads finish (you can check their progress in the PS4 user interface under Notifications/Downloads), and there you go! You can play your imported tables straight away!

11403388364_3ae6d2b1a2_o.jpg

Looks pretty good :)

Minsc

Gold Member
You get to fiddle with the machine settings (these scores are not accepted in leaderboards).

Specifically "the Pro Menu which gives you exclusive access to the Operator's Menu, Ball Control Mode, Table Exploration Mode and IFPA Pro Tips." Also, you can disable family mode on the few tables that use it with the access to the ROM settings via pro mode.

Down the road it's also possible pro mode will allow access to a more challenging simulation of the tables (as a common complaint is the digital tables are too easy compared to their real life counterparts).

Top Bottom