• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS5 Pro Proves AI Upscaling Is the Future

Seider

isnt-that-cute-but-its-wrong.gif
We will see in a few years.

Zathalus

I think we are going to see PSSR even on Ps4 games. PSSR is free to apply, easy to update old games with this technology. If Ps5 Pro is a success, then PSSR is going to be everywhere on Playstation.
There are roughly around 700-800 PS4 Pro enhanced games out there. It took around 6 years to reach that point as well. Adding PSSR is easy true, but PS4 Pro literally just required something as simple as boosting your resolution. I doubt 600 would be reached that soon.

hlm666

So IGN doesn't know dlss moved to a more general model because they were originally doing it all by AI and thus had to be trained per game. Then their logic jumps to nvidia not having enough data to train the model on, it's not like they don't have access to every big game coming to pc. How many years did that hack release data on the sony games coming to pc before it turned out pretty much true. If Intel could train xess models before even having a dgpu out in the wild I don't think it's as hard to get the game data as IGN makes out.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
There are roughly around 700-800 PS4 Pro enhanced games out there. It took around 6 years to reach that point as well. Adding PSSR is easy true, but PS4 Pro literally just required something as simple as boosting your resolution.
It required updating the game to the latest SDKs for that though - PSSR can be added without it.
Also way too many PS4Pro enhanced titles just did the bare minimum - getting any of the Pro specific enhancements (like CBR) was actually rare.

It has some frame blending techniques to try to mask interpolation, but it is not creating new pixels.
That's not how CBR that Sony introduced works - at all.

But all that aside - spatial algorithms(interpolators, and AI ones) are 'creating' new pixels - temporal algorithms (AA and upscalers alike) don't - the whole point is to reproject samples from previous frames, not create what never existed in the first place like a spatial algorithm does.

Top Bottom